[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Assistance needed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

So i bought my brother a beater. 1982 Accord. I got it from a customer through the shop i work at. Now i've restored many classic cars and worked on countless newer cars, but this thing has me stumped.

Short version:
It randomly stops charging. I've replaced the Alternator, voltage regulator, replaced the Main fuse, cleaned off grounds, checked all the fuses, etc. It charges, then randomly stops. Sometimes it will charge for days or weeks then stop. And sometimes it'll last minutes or hours. Does anyone have any experience with these things?

First off it's not a total piece of shit. Only has 81k, maintained at the shop i work at for years, long before i joined. Timing belt replaced, constant maintenance, blah blah blah. It's a great little car. And i only paid $700 for it. I cant find any info on identifix or online, and i really dont have time to tear this thing apart between work, my side jobs and all of my project cars at home.

>tl;dr 82 accord randomly stops charging. Any ideas?
>>
>>15822728
>stops charging
From the alternator or a shop charger?
>>
>>15822728
Sweet ride do you have actual pics or let me guess, only stock photography, cameras dead, cards full, it's snowing etc?
>>
>>15822740
To add, has the battery ever been dead or are you just worried that the gauge is low and haven't given it to bro because of said gauge reading?
>>
>>15822740
I get little to no output from the charging system. Actually, when i last had it on the load tester it would draw amperage under load intermittently...and then randomly just start working again with proper voltage. This thing just has a battery light, no gauge, that turns on appropriately. He's been driving it, but he's a senior in highschool and not exactly mechanically inclined. I got it for him so he could drive something and drive my other siblings (im the oldest of 5) so my parents dont have to if they cant.
>>
>>15822744
I have pics on my phone, not my computer. If you actually want to see it I guess I can upload a pic?
>>
>>15822747
Oh and yes, the car has died on him when this first started happening and consequently thereafter when he would charge then drive the car until it would die again. He would take a charger and charge it whenever given the chance, which anyone would find frustrating. But i've tested the battery and it's still fine (it's not a cheap shit battery from vatozone either).
>>
Anyone have any experience with these old Honda's?
>>
>>15823222
The only thing I could.possibly guess is somewhere connected to the alternator is a loose wire or bad connection. That works till you hit a bump and k ocks shit loose.
>>
i'd replace the battery, you replaced all that other shit, replace the battery, or at least test it with a battery out of another car.
>>
>>15822728
It's probably grounding out somewhere. Rebuild the harness mate. You'll have an opportunity to repair it and possibility make improvements.
>>
>>15825435

... well lets not get carried away too soon.

>>15822728
I've been driving 80's vws for 10 years and have had similar problems multiple times (good alt and batt with little to no charging)
... the only part of the main charging circuit you didn't mention is the main alt. wire. check if you haven't. also check exciter wire (that goes through warning light) - visually trace exciter wire. sometimes they go through connectors that don't age well.
I would also add an additional ground or two. maybe one closer to alt. (or on it).
could be more complicated, like an intermittent short or something, but I've got through this issue every time by just making sure the main charging circuit is rock solid
>>
..... to further emphasize - where the big alt wire connects to alt. is a prime suspect on old cars - cut away some coating and look where the metal of the fitting meets the wire. if there's any doubt, cut and put a new fitting in there... good chance you'll look at that and it will looks shitty. that and grounding the two main suspects
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.