[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the laws in the UK surrounding the building of your

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 2lengine.jpg (1MB, 1280x1244px) Image search: [Google]
2lengine.jpg
1MB, 1280x1244px
What are the laws in the UK surrounding the building of your own vehicle, from the engine through chassis and bodywork?

As long as it passed an MOT, is road legal, etc. Is there no issue with a completely custom car?
>>
if you can build your own engine some obscure regulation about indicator position shouldn't be a problem
>>
>>15815394
That is kind of my point though, I can't seem to find any laws surrounding home built engines and chassis which is probably the thing I would be most concerned about with legal terms. Just wandering how it would work in terms of car tax, insurance and legal stuff surrounding that.
>>
>>15815417
do you know how to build an engine from scratch
>>
>>15815440
I mean I have stripped, replaced parts etc.

I have blueprints and access to machinists. few part manufacturer ties. But building brand new from freshly machined parts, top to bottom. Not done it before, but in theory, yes.
>>
>>15815440
Not op. If I knew how to machine parts I could probably make a running engine. Op would you rip off existing designs or use shelf parts like cams and cranks or would you build it from the ground up?
>>
>>15815467
i would probably use an existing design and machine as many parts to match as I can and see how it goes.
>>
>>15815383
Take a class at your local college to learn AutoCAD and mechanical drafting. Probably won't need pre requisites
>>
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/overview
>>
>>15815383
You can get a decent junkyard engine and do a budget rebuild for $500. Building an engine from scratch is going to cost $1000s, take 100s of hours, and seize up or break down every time you look at it sideways.
>>
It would be a 'kit car' and go on a Q plate
>>
>>15815383
IIRC, it has to pass MOT, and you apply to the DVLA for a number plate.
I think there's a special test you have to do for it as well, though.

If you're thinking of building your own car from bits of other cars, I wish you the best. Make sure you pick good donor cars.
>>
>>15815383
you can even extensivly modify a production car and just get it classed as a kit car. also daytime MOT for when you too fast to use headlights
>>
>>15818115
it has to pass an Individual Vehicle inspection.
>>
>>15818133
That's the one!

I looked it up a while back when I was toying with the idea of building a sports car.
I shelved the idea; too much effort, too much space.
Maybe I'll get on and do it sometime when I have time and money and space.
>>
would you have a billet engine block? if so how would you deal with the coolant passages
>>
>>15817533
not all of these weird one-off road legal contraptions have to go on Q plates but i'm not sure what the rules are
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.