[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

best winter suv

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 6541654.jpg (86KB, 512x333px) Image search: [Google]
6541654.jpg
86KB, 512x333px
I'm buying an SUV for my dad to use in the winter because his mustang isn't cutting it in northern Michigan winters

He also lives on a road that is not plowed ever unless he pays someone to plow it

What kind of SUV should I buy him?

>need to be 4WD/AWD
>has to be under 8k USD
>>
>>15814128
Buy him some snow tires instead and tell him to git gud.
>>
>>15814266
That doesn't really cut it up here, we get 12+ inches regularly in the winter in the UP.

You can't drive though that on a rarely plowed road in a mustang
>>
>>15814278
Ok then. Buy him a pickup and go halfsies on a plow
>>
>>15814278
I doubt a normal suv will be that much better equipped for twelve inches of snow
>>
>>15814278
for under 8k you can find a dearth of shitbox ford or GM products in varying states of rust

and we both know a good set of snow tires and calling up bob's plow service from around the corner to take care of your drive for 25$ is the inevitable anyway
>>
2nd gen RAV4
>>
File: P9070425.jpg (76KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
P9070425.jpg
76KB, 800x600px
>>15814128
this
>>
>>15814128
I live in the north east we use to have a 2003 suburban and with just all season tires that thing would go through anything I ever tried to. They also go for next to nothing now. Cons are gas mileage sucks and you are literally driving a truck.
>>
>>15814128
Are you looking at Grand Cherokees? I wouldn't hesitate, they have some of the best 4WD systems for SUVs that are actually comfortable on the road. I've owned a couple different generations of Explorer and my mom has owned 4 different gens of Grand Cherokees and the Explorers will get through the snow with their 4WD but the Jeeps drive like you're in dry road.

Just be careful because every Chrysler product seems to have a part that likes to fail over and over so get that sorted.
>>
>>15814128
Grand Cherokee or dodge Durango is a good option, I have a 1st Gen Durango I use for winter travel, switch the tires up one size and it'll drag through a foot of snow easily.
>>
>>15814375
Just get some mattracks. A pair for the rear and weld up some skis for the front.
>>
>>15814360
>front right lower shock bolt sheared off twice
>big replacement grade 8 bastard bolt has lodged itself permanently in the control arm
Ehh, shocks are fresh so I don't need to worry about for a while.
>>
File: 00.jpg (76KB, 640x440px) Image search: [Google]
00.jpg
76KB, 640x440px
>>
>>15814396
What year?

The 08 was good, the 04 had front discs that would warp every 10k miles and the driver's door wiring harness would just go dead every year or two.
>>
File: 20160323_134739.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160323_134739.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>15814128
Old Subaru forester. Replace the head gaskets and you are ready drift every corner when it snows. I was the only one on the road that day.
>>
>>15814128
holy shit
My mustang isn't cutting it in northern Wisconsin winters
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.