[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting power to the ground

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: 1467022511836.jpg (200KB, 990x990px) Image search: [Google]
1467022511836.jpg
200KB, 990x990px
Got a question someone more technically minded might be able to answer. I live in australia, where we have v8 holdens.

It's a 1800kg sedan with big fat LS's producing a shit ton of hp and torque.

They always seem to spin their wheels when they launch, however, making that power useless.

At first i thought it was just the shit ton of torque, but how do ferraris and v12 aston martins get that power to the ground so effortlessly?

Can someone please explain what's involved in smoothly getting the power to the ground? I already assume the following plays a part.

>Sticky and wide rubber
>Traction control

What else could be employed to make power get to the ground?
>>
Ferraris have proper launch control and their torque peak at higher rpm.
>>
Some of it is traction control and tires. Another component is weight transfer under acceleration. Exotics like Ferraris etc are designed such that they squat enough under acceleration to put more downward force on the driven (rear) wheels.

Basically, F = mu * N, where F is the friction force, mu is the friction coefficient and N is the force normal to the road ("weight"). Mu will change with the tires and the road surface and N will change from whatever the static weight is when you accelerate/brake. You get wheelslip when you try to put more tractive force ("power") to the ground than your friction force. Traction control is just a way to limit tractive force to whatever your friction force is.

If you want it to hook up better, get better tires or change the suspension design to increase the front to back weight transfer under acceleration. Most of the exotics are mid engine so you're already -1 starting with a sedan.
>>
>>15805130
Thanks, anyone know if this applies to the japanese sports cars like GTR, supra and rx-7?

Everyone says they're really good, do they apply the same principles of weight transfer?
>>
>>15805147
No, the laws of fucking physics change based on where the car is manufactured.
>>
>>15805112
>>15805130
These are your answers OP.

Weight transfer, chassis layout, launch control, traction control, low-end vs. high. end torque, suspension design. Big front-engined sedan with a 6 liter V8 vs. mid-engine coupes with zippy engines.
>>
File: 2016-09-12 19.48.22.jpg (1MB, 1632x918px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-12 19.48.22.jpg
1MB, 1632x918px
>>15805096
Commodores are meant to be skid hacks straight from the factory so they come on skinny gay 235 tires.

HSVs come out with 275s on the rear so they can actually hook up.
>>
>>15805230
>JUN728

Gonna look you up at work tomorrow and come steal your hsv
>>
>>15805096
>Australian car
>getting power down cleanly
Lol nah mate they are built for the exact opposite
>>
>>15805236
Good luck you can deal with the pair of $2000 shocks it needs, il take the insurance money and go get an SS-V wagon. Il happily take the 50kw drop in power to have a car that's actually practical.
>>
File: TA rear meat.jpg (345KB, 433x770px) Image search: [Google]
TA rear meat.jpg
345KB, 433x770px
>LS1 V8 pontiac trans am
>305HP 345 lb-ft. 3450 lbs
>live rear axle and 4 speed auto trans
>no spin because 275/40ZR17 summer tires
>>
Well they are typically owned by braindead bogans who abuse the fuck out of and don't look after them at all. I imagine with stock tyres or stock tyres being replaced by something comparable they do ok for traction. The tyres are quite wide after all.

Guaranteed when 80% of owners see the bill for a set of 4 replacement OEM tyres they go Chinese rubber straightaway
>>
>>15805096

Tires.
>>
>>15805365
Uh. Why do the patterns not match.
>>
>>15805372
when your Lamborghini is on a budget
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.