[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Craigslist: how to actually get people to take your money

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong /o/.

I've been looking for a 2nd fun vehicle for about 8 months now, seriously for the past 4. I can not figure out why it's so hard to get a response or answers to basic questions. How the fuck do you go about buying Joe Bob Buttfucks Car?

Let's say I find a seller who lists a vehicle and either has a number that explicitly says to text or email. I usually ask if the vehicle has any outstanding maintenance issues that need to be addressed, leaks, smoking, gear grinding, if it has any rust, and does it run well enough to drive to where I live or will I need at trailer. Sometimes I ask for the VIN just to get the ball rolling if the vehicle looks promising.

9/10 I don't get a response to text or emails. Other times I'll get a response but the seller will half answer questions and won't respond for upwards of a day. I can understand a delay in answering emails, but holy shit why with texts. I told one guy I'm very interested, would like to come see it on what was yesterday (Saturday) but that I'd like to run the VIN before. He just dropped all communication.

What's the strategy. Is this just how it is dealing with people on there? What can I do to increase chances of atleast an initial response?
>>
Dunno what to say lad except only look for newly listed stuff on craigslist.
>>
>>15758439
That's def something I try to do. I'm honestly just curious at this point if someone could provide some incite.

I've been looking for fox body mustangs, so that can give you an idea of the kind of people I'm dealing with. It's just fuck, I'm trying to give someone several thousand dollars for something they put up for sale. I'm starting to think these people are insane.
>>
Hey I saw your ad on cl and had a few questions,

1) the obligatory is it still available?
2) I saw in your ad you said needs TLC, what if anything do you mean? Leaks or just noises?
3)If possible I'd like to run a Vin check just to see what pervious owners have had done.
4) what general maintenance have you had done?
5) when could I come take a look at it.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to this.

Anon
>>
>>15758416
Luck of the draw m8. I spent about the same amount of time doing the same thing and got the same amount of flaky dickheads and retardation. People get spooked for stupid reasons. I don't know why so many people think asking for VIN means I'm gonna steal their identity or some shit. If you have the time, maybe save some of the maintenance questions for when you see the car in person. Then you can see if the car matches what they say and gauge their reactions in an environment they can't bail out of so easy.
>>
Asking a bunch of questions via text is fucking stupid and gets you nowhere. Asking bunch of shit over the phone irritates people quickly.

Be realistic with yourself. how likely are you to buy this car? If you're likely then make the commitment to take a look at it. If you're going to look at it anyway forgo the 20 questions and just ask when you can see it. Talking to the owner in person will be a lot more useful in getting information from them.
If the owner is far away or you good particular questions (ie "Does the dashboard have any cracks, can't tell in pictures?" vs "what are the problems with ur car bruv?") then call the owner and have a real conversation.

Asking for the vin is something i'll do after i have set up a time to meet.

Have you ever sold anything on CL? The people that reply via text and set up appointments via text are much more likely to flake than someone who actually makes the phone call/
>>
>>15758573
>1) the obligatory is it still available?

I always get that, even though in all my ads I say that if this ad is still posted, then yes it's still available, i'll take the ad down when I sell it.

Then I'll write back and say yes, it's still available anyway. 60% of the time they never write back. If they do, they write back and ask questions that I've already covered in the ad. How many miles. >it's in the ad. How much do you want? >it's in the ad. etc.

Then, a good 50% of the time, If i get them interested enough to come look, they ask me where I live, which is already in the ad, and then the say that's way to far for them to travel. Uh...ok....so why did you write me?
>>
>>15758484
Join "find a foxbody" on Facebook and post a basic introduction and an ISO they will help you. Or I have a few for sale where are you located?
>>
File: 1472007468228.jpg (24KB, 250x217px) Image search: [Google]
1472007468228.jpg
24KB, 250x217px
>>15758416
Since this a relate-able thread.......

I'm about to sell a car on craigslist, what are some tips? Like, should I list my phone number or can I just put an email for people to contact?
>>
>>15759847
>should i list my phone number
If you're brained damanged, sure.
>>
>>15758416
This. I was talking to this dude about his E30, but after a day he wouldn't respond. I can understand not wanting to waste so much energy on a cheap car, but I'm not gonna drive 4 hours to see a car I don't think I'll buy. It was a manual 325is with plastic bumpers, my dream.
>>
File: Abrams-transparent.png (797KB, 1542x691px) Image search: [Google]
Abrams-transparent.png
797KB, 1542x691px
https://louisville.craigslist.org/pts/5761849424.html

Meeting somebody to pick up wheels on Wednesday.

Meeting at a mall and bringing a friend.

Any suggestions on what to take or expect?
>>
>>15760225
Let your balls drop before you go you pansy.
>>
>>15760225
Be polite. It sounds dumb but just do it. When. You see the person you're buying the wheels from say Hi I'm (first name) this is my buddy (guy). If it's an older style person you might shake hands. Then just confirm you are the person they were contacted by ( we spoke on the phone or I'm the one who emailed you about the wheels). Wear basic clothes you are buying something from this person you don't need to make any statements. Look over the wheels in person before buying them of course. Once you know they are as the seller described then you can try to haggle if you want. Then trade tender for goods and shake on it, people like that shit. Say thank you and have a good day. Then enjoy your new wheels
>>
>>15760391
Also don't be a dick about haggling, haggling is fast and quick nor a back and forth for hours.
I was asking 650
Will you take 600?
Sure (done) or No
Okay here's 650
>>
>>15758416
Wise sellers aren't going to respond if they have 10 people already showing interest. I've sold stuff on CL and if you price reasonably you can get 12 emails in one day asking to see it on the next weekend. If you are responding to an ad that is more than a couple days old you might be dude number 40 asking about the Fox body. So don't take it personal, its just the internet.
>>15760414
This is how it should be done. A semi dick thing to do is ask, "What is the lowest you will take for it today?" If they are asking OBO it is a good way to push through the bullshit.
>>
>>15760505
Personally I like to look at the old ads and if I see something I like offer them whatever I can afford. Not trying to purposely lowball however I will tell them that I am blatantly doing so on the off chance he just needs it moved and wants to take anything for it. Got an $80 trans and a $75 LSD rear out of a mustang ya never know if you'll get lucky
>>
>>15759736
>Asking a bunch of questions via text is fucking stupid and gets you nowhere. Asking bunch of shit over the phone irritates people quickly.

I ask before seeing it when I'm going to travel over an hour. I usually explain to them this. I'm literally asking if it can be driven or needs a trailer, does it need anything pressing, and is it a rust bucket. I wouldn't even have to bother if most of the ads were contained the following information: "White mustang, $X,000 or best offer" or "has cam, exhaust, too much to list". Sellers are fucking stupid if they aren't going to give a decent description of the vehicle along with something as basic as the mileage.

>>15759806
I'll check out the group. I'm in the New Orleans area.
>>
File: 1459451629208.png (213KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1459451629208.png
213KB, 360x360px
>>15758573
Mfw chuckle fucks won't give the vin even though they show the plates in the picture and the vehicle has been stolen and crashed then put up at auction yet claim clean title.

One faggot said are you looking to buy a car or run vins.

Most folks are scum on CL buyers and sellers.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.