[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trueno Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

File: Toyota_AE86_Trueno.jpg (162KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Toyota_AE86_Trueno.jpg
162KB, 640x480px
I have been looking into getting an AE86 Trueno recently, and i have a few questions. Where should i look to purchase? What are the pros and cons of this car? will i be initial D with this car? Any other advice is much appreciated!
>>
Overnight the car from japan
>>
>inb4 everything
>>
>>15729152
Get Fb rx7 for your 80s revvy stick axle skid machine fix
Enjoy paying 1/4th the price
>>
File: love ;^).jpg (380KB, 1064x2176px) Image search: [Google]
love ;^).jpg
380KB, 1064x2176px
>>15729152
Enjoy you're tofu delivery machine
>>
First suggestion, stop being a fucktard weaboo
Second suggestion, kys retarded weaboo
>>
thanks guys helps a lot
>>
>>15729215
hey fuck i wasnt joking, literally get one from japan and have it shipped.

or kill yourself your choice
>>
>>15729203
>furfag telling anyone to kys
top kek
>>
They're fun cars, but nowhere close to worth what they're going for these days, and they're garbage stock.

I wouldn't bother unless you find somebody who's been living under a rock and will sell you a clean GT-S for under 3k.
>>
File: sda.jpg (203KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
sda.jpg
203KB, 3264x2448px
If you just want one because of Initial D save your money. It's not the god machine you think it is, it's a 30 year old corolla with a decent chassis and a peppy engine. You're better off with something like an S13. Parts are getting hard to find and expensive, whenever one finds its way to a junkyard it's instantly picked over, this goes for pretty much anything with a 4AGE. Pic related is mine, if you have any questions I can probably answer them for you.
>>
>>15729413
do you regret it?
>>
File: Photo 2016-07-16, 8 05 14 PM.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Photo 2016-07-16, 8 05 14 PM.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>15729459
I only paid $800 for mine so not really
>>
>>15729173
its the same price
>>
>>15729468
runs well?
>>
File: myae86.png (2MB, 1860x1395px) Image search: [Google]
myae86.png
2MB, 1860x1395px
If you really love the AE86, go for it. If you only like the car because dogumi, look elsewhere.

They're fucking fun as hell cars and to be honest, I don't think they're as slow as people complain they are. I mean for fucks sake they were ECONOMY sports cars during the 1980s of course they're not as fast as a GT-R.

The 4A-GE is pretty bulletproof, but shit will need to be replaced every once in a while because these cars are 30 years old by now. Engine parts aren't as hard to find because the 4A-GE was used in MR2s as well, and those are more plentiful than AE86s. Of course, I'm talking about the stock 16 valve.

Personally, I just bought a USDM Corolla GT-S with JDM bumpers and tail lights but if you really want the genuine experience, buy one from Japan. I don't think it's that worth it because they're the same car minus a negligible amount of power loss due to a mass airflow sensor on the USDM GT-S, but the car is all there. You can probably find one with USDM bumpers for cheaper and just buy a JDM bumper somewhere but zenki ones are rare as fuck.

Get one in as perfect shape as you can find unless you just want to skid it into a wall. Body parts are hard as fuck to find now, especially new (really wish Toyota would make reproduction parts) so everything you're missing on the body will cost a bit. I'd suggest getting a buyee account or something for body parts. Most things are interchangeable as long as it's not specifically a right hand drive item.

Another thing: Rust.

DON'T drive it during the winter. Get some kind of shitbox because any 80s japbox will rust really fucking badly. In fact, a sizable portion of the money you spend on it will be for body work, fixing rust. Common spots you should look at are in the rear wheel wells, under the brake master cylinder, bottom and top of the windshield, front of the hood, and in your spare tire carrier just to name a few. The less rust you buy the car with, the better.
>>
File: Photo 2016-08-13, 8 15 20 PM.jpg (142KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
Photo 2016-08-13, 8 15 20 PM.jpg
142KB, 640x1136px
>>15729478
It didn't when I got it, but it came with a bluetop 4age which I swapped in, waiting on a fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator before it moves, should be picking one up this weekend though.
>>15729514
The strut towers are one of the worst spots, and if you want reproduction panels look up "Wolf Steel Restorations"
>>
File: aes.png (887KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
aes.png
887KB, 960x540px
>>15729514
cont...

You should also learn to do your own work, which isn't that hard on these cars. They're simple. That's why I like them so much. No bullshit, just car. The 4A-GE is a very simple motor to work on and there are plenty of resources to learn on. Not to mention, it's actually a pretty interesting motor. They don't have any major problems either. The only thing I can think of is they burn a little oil sometimes, and there's a common leak spot below the distributor where oil will fall onto the header, but all you have to do is buy a 30 dollar seal kit and that will fix it.

If you're looking for a USDM one, just get a GT-S. The SR5 is gutless and takes a lot of fucking work to convert. Not as simple as just an engine swap.

Another thing you should look out for is a whiny transmission, or trouble downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. The T50 is a very basic transmission which won't give you many problems, but it may need a rebuild depending on its condition. I'm doing mine this winter.

Overall, I'm really into these cars, which is why I bought one. Just treat it right and your money won't go far. They're getting rarer, especially depending on where you live. Take good care of it and it'll definitely pay out more than you paid for it, because like it or not, supply and demand means that prices are going to keep rising. That's just the way the market works.

As long as you look towards the community when facing any problems, you'll be fine. Look at Club4AG and go to local meets, you might find someone to invite you to the Club4AG secret Facebook group. They sell lots of good parts there.
>>
If you just wants skids, get an S13 or a FB, both have pretty similar performance, but the s13 is more reliable and has a larger aftermarket, and the FB has doritos and a turbo option in the US
>>
>>15729514
>any 80s japbox will rust really fucking badly
What about 90s then?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.