[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LS questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 310267.jpg (33KB, 286x306px) Image search: [Google]
310267.jpg
33KB, 286x306px
hi americans, aussie here.

i'm set on getting a nice v8 with a good aftermarket and naturally the ls is the easiest option for my engine swap, since they're available locally.

my only question is, should i do a turbo ls1 or a NA ls3?

I've done a bit of research and have this pros and cons list so-far but if anyone else can offer advice i would really appreciate it and i'll buy you cunts a beer when you're down here.

>LS3 aluminium block = lighter
>LS3 is NA, more responsive
>LS1 can make more power (a new ls3 costs about 8 grand here, i figure i can build a turbo ls1 for 8 grand that's pretty tuff)
>LS1 will have fun turbo sounds too
>>
Get a ls2 from a wrecked hsv for like 2k
>>
>>15722697
Care to elaborate on what the benefits of this is?

I was finding ls1's for like 2k as well, but is the ls2 good for boosting?
>>
>>15722703
No ls is good for boosting unless you replace the internals
Ls2 is good price, better than the ls1 in every way, and can make big na power without too much work
>>
>>15722709
how much power you think? I'm going for about 450-500 at the wheels.

Don't want to have to go some crazy stupid cam though.
>>
>>15722703
The only differences between the LS1, LS2, and LS3, and LS6, are the heads, and the cylinder bores.

LS engines are all boost happy and are all very capable.
Just grab one. Eeny meany miny mo.

Here in America, we had the option of LS based V8's in our puck up truck in 4.8L and 5.3L guises as well, so LS V8 engines might as well grow on trees here. In Amerifat, you can get a 4.8L or 5.3L truck engine for under $500. And they have all the same shit that makes the LS engines so great.

>>15722709
>No ls is good for boosting unless you replace the internals
wut.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/

LS engines love boost.

>>15722722
>I'm going for about 450-500 at the wheels.
You don't need a turbo to achieve that, especially when starting with an LS1, LS2, or LS3..
>>
>>15722735
cheers mate, thanks for the info.

is it worth buying a brand new ls3 for 8k?

it comes with everything and warranty which is nice, while the other options cost 2k for the initial motor but are used ones, have no accessories either.

it's hard to make my mind up.
>>
>>15722747
I would buy a used engine, so long as you can get a written statement from the seller that the engine runs. If buying new makes you feel better, by all means, do it. There's no right or wrong answer here.
>>
>>15722770
thanks mate, got one last question.

since this won't be going in a holden, what's the deal with exhausts?

as a NA car does it need backpressure or it loses HP, or when i get it tuned will the tuner account for the exhaust i have and make it good?
>>
>>15722640
or OR scrap the ls build and get a mark iv big block chevy and get the same results and if not more for a fraction of the price
>>
>>15722783
I can't answer that. Everyone is going to have a different answer. A little bit of back pressure is not a bad thing. That said, I would go with long-tube headers personally.

BTW, to achieve your power goals with a N/A LS engine, you're talking a nice cam and a good set of aftermarket heads at the very least,
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/shortblock/1306_4_8l_vs_5_3l_engine_tech_little_ls_slugfest/4_8l_vs_5_3l_engines_.html
The LS engines are very capable of 100 HP per liter.
>>
>>15722640
Ls1 is an alloy block as well you stupid cunt.

Just buy an ls2 and turbo it. You can get them in a wrecked car for fuck all.
>>
>>15722640
The LS1, LS2, LS2, LS4 (murika only), LS6, LS7, LS9 and a chunk of the truck based motors all had aluminum blocks.
>>
>>15722735
Thats an iron block truck engine
Not an ls1 or ls2 etc
>>
>>15722893
Aside from the block material, show me how it isn't related. The architecture is IDENTICAL. Change the intake manifold and it's suddenly a car engine. heads, pistons, cranks, con-rods, cams, etc, are all interchangeable.
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/4-8l-crank-ls3-block-how-to-build-an-8000-rpm-ls-stroker/
>>
>>15722913
An ls1 can never ever make that kind of power with stock internals
An iron block vortec is a different engine. End of story
>>
>>15722923
>End of story
no it isn't
>>
>>15722958
It is. Next time don't quote an article for a 4.8 iron block when someone says the ls1 can't take boost (bevause it really can't)
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.