[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

old ass truck shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: trooperii.jpg (94KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
trooperii.jpg
94KB, 720x540px
Help me decide if I should fix up my old, busted Trooper II (pic not mine, but similar)

I've got an old '88 Trooper II that's been basically sitting for 2 years. I stupidly let the battery die from non use (That fucker held on for over a year surprisingly). I stopped driving it because of a head gasket leak and never fixed it because the exhaust header & bolts were rusty as fuck and I figured I couldn't get the bolts out and ended up buying a new car (also wanted A/C lol).

So I was bored and fucking with it and the bolts surprisingly cracked right off the bat.

So.... To be back in good running order it needs at least a new head gasket, an oil change obviously, and probably all fluids flushed and refilled, brakes need rotors and pads replaced (have all the parts already), and I figure might as well get the timing belt and water pump as well while I'm in there. Oh, and a new battery.

Do you guys think I should go for it? The beast only has 50k miles on it, and it was so much fun to drive.

What else should I worry about from it sitting so long? It was on empty luckily so hopefully the gas tank is fine. And it does run, drove it around for like an hour about 2 months ago trying to recharge the battery...

tl;dr is it kill or should I fix it?
>>
>>15719676
Also paint is all oxidized to shit, has no A/C, and one of the brackets on the driver seat broke so it moves around a bunch.

On the plus side, has a better stereo than my newer car, interior aside from a little bit of old powdery plastic is in nice shape, and of course 4 wheel drive is great.
>>
>>15719676
You're a faggot. You should've fixed it immediately and took it to a professional since you couldn't do it
>>
>>15719709
I was also busy in grad school, and convinced myself to buy a newer car for A/C and such, was going to sell the trooper but never got around to it and now I sort of want to fix it. So, advice?

Also taking it to a professional was expensive compared to DIY so I didn't want to spend all that money on an old truck when it was a good chunk of a newer car.
>>
How much does it generally cost to get the heads checked and machined?
>>
>>15719822
Don't waste ur time Bruv. It's a trooper and has to be layed to rest.
>>
>>15719881
Better to try and sell it off in its current state then?
>>
>>15719921
I'd fix it and keep it. The heads aren't necessarily warped.
>>
File: IMG_2201.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2201.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>15719952
I hope they aren't. I noticed it was leaking coolant before I realized it was the head gasket, but I kept it topped up and never let it overheat, and once I realized for sure it was the head gasket I stopped driving it for the most part.
Plus my other car is a POS, interior is falling apart and it's coming up on a major service interval where it needs the timing belt replaced and everything checked and I can't afford that right now, and unfortunately it requires stupid specialized tools that would cost me nearly $300 to do it myself.

pic related: what I'm working with
>>
File: IMG_2202.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2202.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>15720013
Surprisingly all those old ass hoses are basically still in decent shape. Some of it looks a bit rusty but it's really not all that bad.

I'm just nervous about all those fucking tubes and wires and shit I need to remove now. Afraid I'll take it apart and never get everything back together again.
>>
File: IMG_2204.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2204.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Got dat I-Tec
>>
It's always a safe bet to have heads surfaced when a gasket blows and not expensive. You can check with local shops for quotes, then check on prices for a set of head bolts (if they are single use, do NOT try to reuse them) and a "top end" gasket set. You can often get parts deals online.

Take digital pictures before you take anything apart and as you tear it down, hang out on Isuzu forums, and get a factory service manual if possible. Haynes/Clymer/Chilton aren't as good.

Your other car isn't going to die instantly if you exceed the timing belt swap interval. Check model specific or brand specific forums for expedient ways around the factory tools, and also check Ebay for used tools.

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups. It's worth learning how to wrench, so take your time, don't Presidentially Engineer shit, and do it right.
>>
>>15720086
>Assumption is the mother of all fuckups. *It's worth learning how to wrench*, so take your time, don't Presidentially Engineer shit, and do it right.
Part of why I'm thinking about fixing the trooper.

I'm still driving my other car, but wouldn't hurt to have a back up, plus the other is a Volvo and I've heard bad things about their timing belts with regards to recommended intervals. Though I'm still a couple thousand miles away and I drive like 5-10 miles a week lol. The piece of shit also has a coolant leak somewhere, luckily not the head gasket though, oil looks fine and it'll lose coolant just sitting.

AFAIK the head bolts can be re-used on the trooper, and luckily a gasket set is pretty cheap.. .Good videos online from johnny5 troopers too, and an active/dedicated community.

Never been able to find the service manual unfortunately, just got a shitty haynes or chilton.
>>
Anon above me knows what he's talking about.

Honestly, brakes should be fine. Maybe new rotors but unless it needed pads when it was parked they'll be fine. Calipers shouldn't be too seized, some lubrication on the pistons and they should let go.

It's important to stay clean. You got a garage?

What makes you say for sure head?
Was coolant ending up in the oil or just disappearing or both? She smoke? Color?
>>
>>15720116

If it's a brick Volvo, chase that coolant leak.

If not, why the fuck did you buy a front wheel drive Volvo?

Trooper sounds to me like it needs one huge job, then a bunch of little shit you never got to as it was. Cut your losses.

If it still needs a brake job and hours of attention elsewhere, finding a coolant leak on a Volvo is way easier.

A timing belt usually can be pushed a good long time

It'll start idling like shit and losing power usually before it goes. You got time, especially with a Volvo.
>>
>>15720130
Pads are glazed I think, and rotors needed to be replaced before the last time I put new pads in anyway. Last time I drove it a few months back the brakes were weak but work, mostly just annoying scraping sound. Only reason I didn't replace the rotors before is because the fucking bolts were stuck and I didn't have a breaker bar, got pissed off and gave up lol.

No garage unfortunately, I'd be working outside.

Head for sure because I got coolant in the oil, don't know if it might have another coolant leak somewhere.

>>15720164
It's not a brick unfortunately, it's a 2002 C70 coupe.I guess the coolant leak isn't a big deal, and aside from the special tools, the timing belt looks easy enough to do, other than that it'd just be greasing/oiling everything, replacing fluids, replacing brake pads (just starting to make noise occasionally). But the interior falling apart is pissing me off, and it takes premium gas and gets the same shitty mileage as the trooper gets lol.

For the trooper though none of the little stuff is really a big deal, it's mostly just the head gasket that's the show stopper, or that the tag is like 3 years expired lol.
>>
Any advise on pinning down a coolant leak anyway?

Not really sure where to start on that.
>>
>>15720250
Where you have moisture? Ends of hoses or your radiator... Most likely.

Trade the Volvo for the something shitty but functional...
>>
>>15720301
Haven't really noticed moisture in the engine bay, everything is crammed pretty tight. Just notice the low coolant indicator comes on pretty frequently.

I would trade the volvo but it's not really worth shit either. Taillight is busted with a bit of body damage, interior is falling apart, and it needs major maintenance/timing belt. Who would buy that?

I wanted to buy something more modern and reliable, but was a bit short of cash, and being a student on a fellowship wasn't getting my next chunk of cash for a year. Would have been nice if my parents would have helped me out, but oh well not their problem I guess.

If I could trade the car and he truck for something cheap but reliable I would. Unfortunately I'm not really employed, being a grad student and working occasionally as a research assistant for a friend. I make like $400 a month so no financing anything.
>>
If it were me, I would fix it and drive it. I love the first gen Troopers and the Isuzu 4 cylinder is a reliable motor. Much better than the Chevy V6s that were optional.You can sort the A/C later.
>>
>>15720698
>You can sort the A/C later.
Not even worried about the A/C, never worked since I've had it, the compressor isn't even hooked up. It's got vent windows so good enough lol.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.