[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Tools General + SnapOn VS Craftsman

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 258
Thread images: 37

File: image_1.jpg (412KB, 1529x933px) Image search: [Google]
image_1.jpg
412KB, 1529x933px
ITT we talk tools
Favorite makes and models
Best place to get good tool deals.

Also, for the sake of stirring shit up; SnapOn vs Craftsman Vs Any other brand you feel trumps them both
>>
Proto, back when it was good.
>>
>implying /o/ knows any of this
go post a corvette and gtr thread, you'll get 200 more replies
>>
Kobalt is honestly very good and offers the no hassle lifetime warranty.
Broke a ratchet of theirs because I had a pipe on the end of it, took it into Lowe's, they swapped it out in 5 minutes with no hassle.

Apparently Harbor Freight (Pittsburgh tools) now has the same kind of warranty on their handtools? Might be something to look into. Build quality looks half decent but even if it breaks, you get a new one.
>>
>>15691570
Since both are now made in China I'll stick with my American made Craftsman tools my grandfather passed on to my father and will eventually end up being passed to me to augment all the Craftsman tools I also own.
>>
>>15691570
If I didn't know better I would swear that is my garage that picture was taken in...
>>
File: 1469015688596.jpg (36KB, 500x310px) Image search: [Google]
1469015688596.jpg
36KB, 500x310px
>>15691570
Most of my experience has been with Craftsman as that is what I have. I have a few SnapOn pieces that I've snagged at garage sales, pawn shops and flea markets. SnapOn seems to be just a tad nicer in quality and looking at their catalog they pretty much have any and all tools for almost any and all situations.
>youre having to remove 6bolts but the last one is way in the back and sandwiched between other parts
>snapon has THE SPECIFIC tool to get THAT SPECIFIC bolt out
Craftsman are just decent tools all around. What annoys me about them is the selection you get from their assortments.
Example: a box set may include some fancy, polished, ratcheting wrenches that are size 8,10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18.
OK, what about 9, 11, 16, 17?
Kicks my OCD into high gear
>>
stahlwille is what i use
feels cheap but works
>>
>SnapOn vs Craftsman
That's not really a comparison, snapon blows modern craftsman out of the water.

Snapon, mac, even matco has some good stuff
Craftsman is kobalt/gearwrench/pittsburgh tier at this point.

There's so many damn tools out their. Honestly I have a mix from 50's era craftsman, to the shittiest taiwanese imports from the 70's to brand new snapon.
>>
File: ratchet.jpg (129KB, 1440x870px) Image search: [Google]
ratchet.jpg
129KB, 1440x870px
i want this kind, who makes a good one thats not snap on. when i search i see cheap ones with a split in the handle
>>
I am in need of a torque wrench. Any recommendations? Given that it's a precision instrument, I'm thinking this is something I shouldn't go get from Harbor Freight.
>>
Snap-On vs Craftsmen
Made in the same factory.
>>
>>15691634
>no 17
>can't work on hondas
>>
>>15691670
I got a CDI for a little over a hundred bucks. It's nice. I heard the craftsmen ones break easily, but a friend of mine has been using one for a while with no trouble. The reason I didn't get one is that their warranty is something like three months for that tool versus lifetime like most of their shit is. If it breaks and I can replace it at the Sears right by my house it's no big deal, but the shorter warranty period shows that they know it's a shit product.
>>
>>15691695
I have a craftsman torque wrench and it has 1 year limited warranty that you can only replace if you have the original receipt..

You get what you pay for.
>>
>>15691695
i have a craftsman that needs recalibration. who does that
>>
>>15691695
>>15691706

This is mainly because Sears has been going under for years and Craftsman is hit and miss depending what you buy anymore. You also have to keep in mind it's a torque wrench, your average moron buying on the cheap end is likely stupid enough to break bolts loose with it, drop it, toss it around, smack it into shit, not reset the torque on it, therefore ruining the mechanisms and accuracy and going back yammering about his $60 tool being shit and wanting to warranty it.
>>
>>15691723
I have no idea, maybe a machine shop. I would try asking your hardware store too.
>>
>>15691670
I picked up a snap-on 50-250ft lb torque wrench and its awesome, it sucks dropping almost five hundred bucks but I've never had to worry about it loosing calibration as long as you reset it back to the lowest range while not using it and never exceeding the min max rating

My first one was some pos harbor freight that had the metal rod and I didn't trust it for shit
>>
>>15691723
Ever think craftsman could calibrate it for you
>>
>>15691916
kind of doubt it
>>
>>15691670
Got a summit racing wrench
$30 and it isn't half bad. Feels cheap but it gives you a good ballpark torque for things that aren't super important.
>>
>>15691570
Craftmade blows now. I wish I'd bought more tools growing up. I have a few that I've found at yard sales and flea markets. I'd put the American made craftman against my Matco anyday. I also really like gear wrenches 120 xp series of socket wrenches.
>>
>>15691670
i bought a set of 3 snapon torques from a garage sale for 60 bucks inch lbs/0-100 ft lbs/ 100-2??ftlbs, best investment yet.
>>
>>15692054
how accurate are they?
>>
>>15692075
had the snapon guy recalibrate them before using them. They were close to spec. They pretty dam accurate to .5ft lb increments.
>>
>no duralast
It's almost like you don't want it built to last
>>
File: DSC_0627.jpg (805KB, 1400x937px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0627.jpg
805KB, 1400x937px
>>15691670
Precision Instruments split beam, they make Snap Ons split beams, but the PI is 1/3rd the price. Don't have to dial it back after using.
>>
Ssoooooo......what tools are actually American made and worth a damn if Crapsman and ShitOn are made in China?
>>
File: Real murican steel.jpg (28KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
Real murican steel.jpg
28KB, 636x358px
>>15692518
The ones you make yourself.
>>
Personally, Snap-On ratchets, sockets and accessories, Britool torque wrenches, Facom or Snap-On spanners and Facom screwdrivers and pliers.

I always buy Snap-On second hand and I've never had a problem with getting replacements under warranty. I've got a 3/8 drive 'Ferret' sliding tee that was made in 1940 according to the date code and it's in near perfect condition.
>>
>>15692301
I used to like Duralast but when i started to switch to more heavy jobs, they fucking broke. And you cant claim warranty unless you return the e tire set (if a set). So i just stuck to USA made craftsman. Never had a craftsman tool break on me yet, and i do light truck suspension word and shit
>>
>>15691587
>"I think I speak for all of /o/ when I say we don't know anything about tools or how to use them"
that may be true for you, but that is not the case for a lot of people on here

That being said, I like SnapOn tools
>>
>>15692766
I work at vatozone I swap individual parts for people
>>
>>15692841
Damn, i should have kept trying at different vatozones. Guy said i had to bring entire set or else he cant give me a new ratchet. I didn't give him a hard time because I'm not a nigger. I just went home and tried to find the entire set but i couldn't because i bought that shit when i was like 16. So i just forgot about it, i had other ratchets anyway. I was actually very surprised when it broke. I never had a tool break on me before. I would always hear that tools break and shit but i never knew how that went down exactly. When it happened i just sat there with a blank ass look on my face, Confused.
>>
>>15691920
ok i called, it cost me 55 to have it adjusted and it takes two weeks. fuck, next time tool truck for sure. even matco or anything is ok.
craftsman just no
>>
>>15692426
split beam? is that a clicker?
>>
Doing my own brakes for the first time this weekend. I have:

>floor jack
>2 ton jack stands
>new rotors
>new pads

anything else I need? Do I need to oil any part of the brake mechanism or pad? If so, with what?
>>
>>15692914
brake fluid? you are supposed to have it changed every other year.
also probably need basic tools you know to take off the caliper brackets
>>
>>15692914
Lube the caliper slides and where the pads sit. Depending on where you live you might need to clean off a lot of corrosion on the caliper brackets.
>>
>>15692940
I think my brake fluid was changed when I had my timing belt done.

Regular socket / wrench set is fine I'm assuming?

thanks btw
>>
I got a hand me down set of 3/8 snap on socket set with deep, shallow, extensions, swivels, etc. it's pretty nice, but too expensive for me to buy myself.

The rest of my tools are a mix of harbor freight and craftsman. Anything precision I go buy from sears/lowes/homedepot or ask my dad for his shit
>>
>>15692914
what kind of car?

A lot of nissans like having fuckhueg caliper bracket bolts that the standard socket set may not have. Europeans like using weird fasteners like allen/torx/triple square. Ditto for some American manufactuers. Fucking e-torx on a saab.
>>
>>15692973
acura tl type s.

I'll buy additional tools if I need to, just trying to be more self sufficient when it comes to this stuff
>>
>>15692957
you can pop the hood and look. if it looks like coffee its really really bad. new brake fluid looks very much like water
>>
File: 1449811054827.jpg (8KB, 208x199px) Image search: [Google]
1449811054827.jpg
8KB, 208x199px
>>15693021
4th gen? If so you've got those brembo-style fixed calipers, you usually need a specific tool to retract the calipers.

If its the previous gen type S then you've got traditional single/dualpot calipers you can retract with a big pair of channel locks. Remove the slider pins, wipe'em down and re-lube them with a brake/slider pin specific synthetic lube. Install your brake pads with some of the same brake specific lube onto the pad nubbies where the sit in the clips on the cradle.

Also fucking rotor screws. Jesus fuck rotor screws. Impact driver and a #3 Phillips socket and hope you can knock those fuckers off.

>fucking rotor screws
>>
>>15693044
3rd gen thank god

any off the shelf brake lube is fine? thanks again
>>
File: SG-4.png (336KB, 820x820px) Image search: [Google]
SG-4.png
336KB, 820x820px
>>15693064
I always used this type stuff onto sliders
>>
File: 24125.jpg (47KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
24125.jpg
47KB, 300x300px
>>15693064
For brake pad contact points I always used stuff like this. Synthetic stuff usually has a higher melting point than conventional copper/nickel based anti-seize. Also supposed to have anti-squeal properties if you put it on the back of the pad.

You're supposed to beable to use this stuff for slider lubrication aswell but I find its very tacky and goopy compared to slider grease.
>>
>>15692865
Dude the warranties aren't even registered. Theres literally no way to track it so the procedure is to just find the same tool on our shelf, give u that one, put your broken one in the packaging from the new one and then report that as a "damaged from shipping". Everyone wins
>>
I was all about Craftsman before they went full China, but my latest additions are all Wiha.
>>
>>15691570
>SnapOn vs Craftsman
Craftsman is not the same as it used to be. Harbor Freight and other chinese tool sellers have eaten up most of craftman's customers. That doesn't do Sears any good either. I was in Sears recently and it is like a ghost town in their tools section. And they have fewer and fewer tools. It's not like before Harbor Freight came to town and ate up most of sear's tool customers. Sears used to sell a lot of usa-made stuff (clothing included) but it just can't compete against China. Now, even a bunch of Sears stuff is made in china. So sad.
>>
>>15693310
What will happen when the Chinese standard of living grows too expensive and they can't be used for cheap labor anymore?
>>
>>15691664

i have a tekton one i bought from amazon

it's lasted almost 2 years so far and i've had no issues with it.
>>
When you are starting off buying tools, go to harbor freight and buy yourself a 1/4 and 3/8 ratchet set.
>But those tools are cheap!
Exactly. When the Pittsburgh sockets (10mm, 13mm, etc.) break or you lose them, replace those sockets with the good ones.

If you are not a full time mechanic don't worry about Matco or Snap On tools, unless you REALLY have to have them. They are both great tools, but the less expensive stuff will serve you well for your occasional project.

Even when I was a BMW technician I used Pittsburgh stuff that I bought from Harbor Freight all the time. Pliers, screwdrivers, even pry bars. I still have my impact socket set that I bought from harbor freight 5 years ago. I have used those sockets extensively and I have yet to break one of them.
>>
Fap On is really overkill. Their entire business model is being able to deliver goods and being available pretty much 24/7, which is why industries like them. Couple that with them having military and aircraft certifications for their chrome plating.

That being said, I can't say new craftsman is worth it, and people saying Kobalt, Pittsburgh, Husky, Stanley etc are really not abusing their tools much. Don't get me wrong, they're great for the application, but don't fool yourself about their quality.

Personally, I prefer Wright for ratchets, since they produce strong, small profile ratchets with good chrome, etc. However, I would buy pretty much all sockets and other tools from SK, armstrong, and a few other companies when I can get them cheaply.
>>
I'm a fan of the Canadian Tire brand (Mastercraft). They usually have a couple of different grades, and the Maximum series of tools has a pretty good warranty. No receipt necessary since it's their brand.. They know you bought it there.

Never had a Mastercraft tool break, rust, etc. I'm not a heavy user of said tools but I still have a bunch from all different time frames. They feel heavy and solid.

Every other cheap tool at Canadian Tire is garbage, though. There's a really cheap brand that might also be CT's own, I forget the name now. Black and red are the colors. Absolute trash. The metals feel like they're made of plastic, and the plastic feels like Styrofoam.
>>
>>15691670
Got a harbor freight one and did my head gasket with it. No complaints and it did the job, cars got 5k on it since then
>>
Gedore or Facom for me
>>
>>15691680
>>15691634
No joke, 17mm is a pretty standard size for working on Japanese motorcycles, dirt bikes, atv's, etc.
>>
File: spin_prod_535622501..jpe.jpg (17KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
spin_prod_535622501..jpe.jpg
17KB, 600x600px
>>15691670
I bought this Craftsman one when I was rebuilding a motorcycle engine and needed something that would get down to 26 in-lbs. Also used it on my dad's 6.0 Ford Powerstroke when we had to replace the high pressure oil pump. It's worked well so far but you've gotta be careful with the numbers that are printed on the plastic handle (pic related) as they scrape off easily......

https://www.craftsman.com/products/craftsman-micro-clicker-torque-wrench-3-8-drive?taxon_id=1895

I also have a massive 1/2" drive solid flex-type torque wrench from my grandpa who was a tractor mechanic for 30+ years. It's handy when you need to tighten stuff up 60+ ft-lbs.
>>
Tekton tools are pretty good although they are kind of shit tier.
>>
who /dollar store torque wrench/ here?
>>
>>15691570
Craftsman wrenches and sockets are acceptable but their ratchets are pure shit. Harbor freight ratchets are honestly better except for the ultra-shitty ones they include in socket sets.
>>
What are some basic tools I should get to start a decent toolbox?

So far I have a 3/8in ratchet with metric and imperial sockets, and metric spanners.

I want to get some screwdrivers, channel locks, vice grips, 1/4in ratchet, 1/2in breaker bar and sockets, and some other things

What am I missing to do basic vehicle repairs?
>>
For odds and ends / replacement sockets and wrenches I've had good luck hitting up the local pawn shops. A local pawn shop that I frequent and have bought several guns from has huge bins full of loose sockets and open end - box end wrenches. I picked up 5 decent quality open end - box end wrenches for $2 not long ago. I wouldn't spend the time to sift through their stock to make a complete set or anything but it's something for everyone to keep in mind if you just need say a 10mm socket because you've misplaced yours.
>>
>>15692914
Pretty sure you are going to needa C-clamp
>>
File: 61AXt+Wb37L.jpg (134KB, 1500x962px) Image search: [Google]
61AXt+Wb37L.jpg
134KB, 1500x962px
>>15693376
can you take a pic? i want to see how it held up
>>
File: impact_driver.jpg (14KB, 388x450px) Image search: [Google]
impact_driver.jpg
14KB, 388x450px
>>15693595
crescent wrench (adjustable wrench)
impact driver (pic related)
torque wrench
swivel ratchet wrenches
dremel tool with cutoff wheels
propane or mapp gas torch
c-clamps
wire strippers, soldering iron, crimp and solder connectors / splices, heat shrink tubing
heat gun
>>
File: control_arm_torch.jpg (70KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
control_arm_torch.jpg
70KB, 960x720px
>>15693616
and yes, you will definitely need a torch at some point if you wrench on vehicles long enough.... The dremel with cutoff wheels is only necessary if you're very unlucky but it's always nice to have a dremel around.
>>
>>15693635
>>15693616
I have a blowtorch, and I plan on getting an oxyfuel rig eventually
>>
>>15693670
Yeah, that was an oxyfuel setup in the pic, very hot. I have a smaller handheld mapp gas torch that I also use sometimes.
>>
Uk here.
Is Sealey any good?
>>
Lowes vs Home Depot -- Kobalt vs Husky

which one would you choose?
>>
>>15693715
whatever was closer
>>
>>15693336
china is rich enough, i dont understand why companies insist on giving them more money by outsourcing.
>>
>>15693715
does Kobalt have the same lifetime warranty as Husky?

fun fact, Husky stuff is manufactured under license by the same people that manufacture Craftsman.
>>
>>15693730
Because they have lax labor & environmental laws, a huge labor force, plenty of raw materials, adequate infrastructure to accommodate new factories, the country & economy is relatively stable, and Chinese worker's wages + benefits are still way less than those of most westerners.

It's the perfect place to set up shop in the developing world.
>>
>>15693408
Skif it is Skil I feel ya on how trash they are, not even Asian women would buy such tools. But I dont think theyre a Canuck tire brand
>>
>>15693715
Old Kobalt used to be manufactured in the same factory as Snap-on but they've since changed ownership.

The set I bought last year seems to be holding up though.
>>
>>15693791
*Skil?
>>
>>15693740

From Kobalt's website:
Sockets, Ratchets and Wrenches Lifetime Hassle Free Guarantee
Hammers and Pry bars Lifetime Hassle Free Guarantee
Utility Knives Lifetime Hassle Free Guarantee
Chisels & Files Lifetime Hassle Free Guarantee
Pliers & Wrenches Lifetime Hassle Free Guarantee

Seems like most of their hand tools have the same sort of lifetime warranty as Husky's stuff

I'm gonna be in the market for a large "mechanics tool set" (mainly just a big set of various ratchets, wrenches, and sockets) to replace the tool set that I've cobbled together over the years and was considering both Husky and Kobalt due to their price & warranty. Sure, a large snap-on set would be ideal but I'm not gonna spend that kind of money.
>>
>>15693757
>the country & economy is relatively stable,

Have you read the news lately?

Besides that most Chinese corporations by and large are crooks, who may give you large quantities at a reduced price but almost all of it will be substandard product that won't meet requested spec.
>>
>>15691570
GearWrench.

Mostly because their tools have stood up to abuse that none of the other brands seem to survive so far.

Two coworkers have had craftsman torque wrenches practically explode on them, the ratchet head just smashed apart on them under load.

Another had a similar thing happen with a snap-on torque wrench.

But the gear wrench torque wrenches just keep taking abuse and they even seem to require calibration less.
>>
>>15693816
did they have the same one as me?
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digitork-reg-torque-wrench-5-80-ft-lbs/p-00944596000P

mine looks like that. and i just sent it in for cal today
>>
>>15693811
The country and economy is much more stable than most other developing nations and they have a proven track record of being capable when it comes to large industrial operations. If it were not so then Apple and virtually every other consumer electronics company would not have their products made there. Yes, if you're a small buyer looking for one container of cheap products then prepare to be screwed over but no one in the world manufactures products en masse better than China does at this point.

They recycle most of the world's scrap and have mining operations set up all over the developing world that keep their factories supplied with raw materials, they have more exports than any other country, they have unrivaled infrastructure when it comes to rail and sea freight transport...
>>
Craftsman is fucking garbage. Pittsburgh pro actually makes better tools. Older snap on ratchets really arent even that great. The dual 80 is really nice but I find myself reaching for my new 90 tooth mac axis before my dual 80.

A lot of people have the misconception that anything with a lifetime warranty is a good tool, but theres so much more to a tool than that. A good tool wont break or break very rarely. A great tool makes a job that is generally a chore almost enjoyable.

Milwaukee makes the best cordless tools. Pneumatic power tools are slowly becoming less and less relevant.

Grey pneumatic makes some awesome sockets called duo that are rated for impact use, but are dimensionally similar to standard chrome sockets. Sunex also makes some good impact sockets. Avoid cr-v sockets like the plague.

Knipex is hands down the best pliers manufacturer.

Wiha and wera make really good screwdrivers and bits.

Standard gearwrench ratchet wrenches are fine 95% of the time. For standard combo wrenches williams or wright are really good.

If you must have air tools check out aircat and ingersoll rand.
>>
>>15693715
>>15693718
This to be honest. But I do think kobalt is better than husky
>>
>>15692906
It clicks but you don't have to dial it to 0, you can leave it at lug nut torque all the time if that's your primary use, also more accurate and robust than a twisting handle type
>>
>>15694065
oh nice. i thought it was the kind with a dial you had to look at. i hate those, most of the time you have to put your head at an awful angle to look at them.
>>
File: toolso.jpg (3MB, 3000x1800px) Image search: [Google]
toolso.jpg
3MB, 3000x1800px
>>15693933
You see I'm living out of a cart like you now
>>15692426

It's crammed to the brim now but it's nice to be able to roll around with everything, could also do track weekends with it if I needed to. I made some cool space saver solutions, will post pics when I'm done decking it out
>>
>>15694082
i like kennedy tool boxes, they make some heavy duty ones besides the little ones they sell a lot of.
really a lot tougher than my snap on
>>
>>15694098
this kind
>>
>>15694082
>>15694098
I've heard good things about the Harbor Freight brand tool boxes (US General). My friend's dad got a big roll-around 3-piece US General box and it seemed alright upon first inspection. Time will tell how well it holds up over time I guess. I'll probably end up with one eventually once I have some more garage/shop space.
>>
>>15693933
>Milwaukee makes the best cordless tools

>tfw Snap On ct8810a monster lithium

shits pretty dope

>people talk shit on snapon
>hey bro can i use your electric
>>
>>15693933
>wiha, wera, aircat, IR

this nigga knows his shit
>>
>>15694146
I grabbed my coworkers 1/2 snap on cordless today because my baby one wouldn't pull a seat rail out, I thought I had the wrong size socket because I didn't feel any resistance, but looked down and the bolt was out, spun it out like nothing. Kind of overkill for most things though, the Milwaukee is good because you can use the battery for a heat gun, caulk gun, sawzall, etc.
>>
File: 0.jpg (63KB, 434x512px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
63KB, 434x512px
>>15692518
curtiss-wright/power hawk clockwork impact wrenches. 7000ftlbs of all-american torque.

costs a gorillion dollars though because they mostly sell to da gubmint
>>
File: IRW7150-K1.jpg (23KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IRW7150-K1.jpg
23KB, 400x400px
>>15694146
wtf that looks weak on paper
>Provides an incredibly powerful 230 ft-lb at a lightweight 4.25 lb
>not 1/2 drive
>>
I work at a small euro shop that only uses snap-on. So that's what's good to me!
>>
File: Tools.jpg (181KB, 1250x703px) Image search: [Google]
Tools.jpg
181KB, 1250x703px
Amazon
Tooltopia
TylerTool
Tool Truck
>>
>>15694165
>battery powered caulk gun

...what?
>>
>>15691634
I think you've got that a little off.

Every Craftsman wrench and socket set I've ever bought has been 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 (sometimes), 15, 17, 19. I know this because my car has a ton of 18mm fasteners on it and I had to go buy separate 18mm sockets and wrenches.

9, 11 and 16 are sizes that are very rarely used, hence them not being included.
>>
File: 57163_2641-21CTB-lg.gif (34KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
57163_2641-21CTB-lg.gif
34KB, 520x520px
>>15694251
Pretty much mandatory if you do auto glass these days
>>
>>15694273
Interesting. All my caulking is for carpentry / painting where hand operated caulk guns are more than adequate so I've never heard of or seen one of those electric guns before.
>>
>>15691664
Check out Wera
>>
>>15691916
They can calibrate it but they charge you the price of a new torque wrench to do it, it's not really even worth it.
>>
>>15694178
its so small and compact

>1/2 drive

it shares the same everything it just has a 3/8 anvil. so its a beast 3/8
>>
>>15693383
Literally wail on my £100 tool set every day and they're still in perfect order, don't overstress your tools and they'll last a lifetime.
>>
>>15694146
Snap-On cordless made by Milwaukee

Also not 700+ft/lbs
Why even use an impact?
>>
>>15693701
sealey is import chinese stuff

generally if the harbor freight tool got good reviews the sealey-branded version will be good too.
>>
>>15694290
thank you!
http://www.kctoolco.com/wera-8000-b-zyklop-ratchet-3-8-drive-p/wr003550.htm

i love it. buying
>>
File: 20160503_202917.jpg (983KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160503_202917.jpg
983KB, 3264x1836px
>>15694446
No problem!

I always found it such a shame that german tools are such a niche market outside of germany. Those stubborn bastards just don't like to export nice things.

Picked up a couple vises last time I was over there.
>>
>>15694573
That particular Wera ratchet was made in the Czech Republic though.
>>
>>15694573
actually i dont care where its made i just think the seam in the handles of even the snap ons are a weakness or at least might introduce unwanted flex
>>
>>15694592

>L E B E N S R A U M
>>
>>15694573
You can get Wiha and Stahlwille tools here in the states, I've even seen them on the truck
>>
I bought some snap on ratchets and pliers. I intend to use them forever, and they just make a lot of jobs easier.

The rest is cobbled together. Also have some klein stuff.
>>
>>15691570
I'm a tech so I buy all my stuff from Cornwell. their tools are good and they're not as expensive as matco and snap on. but when I first started to become a tech I bought a craftsman tools set and they've lasted me till this day I still use the ratchets and sockets. now I can't say the same for their air tools since literally two months after being a tech my impact gun gave out.
>>
>>15694767
Stealership I used to work at had Cornwell show up a few months before I left. Tools seemed decent buy I never bought anything.

At one point we had SnapOn, Matco, Cornwell, Mac, and the used tool truck (think HF on wheels with some decent stuff mixed in), all showing up. Every fucking day a different tool guy would be bothering me. Hell there was even this old as guy that sold SK out of his minivan.
>>
>>15694767

Agreed. Cornwell is a fantastic middle of the road brand
>>
>>15694824
Yeah, but did you have the steak truck?
>>
Best torque wrench coming through.

Only one company makes deflecting beam torque wrenches because the design is patented.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bfj8vJJkc5g

They simply never require calibration even if you use it as a hammer
>>
>>15694846
We had a hotdog truck once.
>>
>>15694256
But if you're buying a tool set it should be a complete set. Just because they aren't common doesn't mean they don't exist. I recently got the 311 piece Craftsman set and the first fucking wrench I needed was a 17 and it wasn't in the set.
>>
So have earned my living with my tools for the last 10 years and here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. My first set of tools was craftsman. I was doing stereo and remote start installs at the time and they worked decent for that. Used mostly Dewalt for drills and electrical tools. Then I took a job as a mechanic and found out I needed a whole pile more tools and the ones I had were not holding up use on rusted shitty bolts... I actually cut my hand open badly when a 13mm wrench slipped around a bolt. Cont.
>>
>>15691610
>Apparently Harbor Freight (Pittsburgh tools) now has the same kind of warranty on their handtools?
They always have but they break so often when you start doing real work it's not worth the effort. I broke one of their ratchets on a 13mm bolt with my bare hands and I'm a DYEL fag.
>>
>>15695417
I started buying mac and snap on and found that the mac tools were on par with craftsman. When you abuse them every day my snap on stuff held up ok and when it doesn't they have been great with warrenty for me.
>>
>>15691820
>maybe a machine shop
Machinist here.

>lol no
Most shops don't calibrate their own stuff because it can end up being a legal matter.
>>
>>15695450
i found mac and snap on sockets and wrenches are a lot softer heat treat than Armstrong.
but Armstrong is holy fuck expensive.
https://www.zoro.com/armstrong-socket-wrench-set-metric-12-dr-29-pc-44-515/i/G8324863/

look at that price. its fucking just no
>>
File: 1469170206739.jpg (224KB, 708x847px) Image search: [Google]
1469170206739.jpg
224KB, 708x847px
>>15692426
>>15694082
>mfw i have a 3 drawing folding top mac tools box at my job filled with
>snap on
>mac tools
>matco
>craftsman
>husky
>expert
>stanley
>harbor freight
>ingersol rand
>precision instruments
a real mechanic isnt loyal to one brand.
>mfw also living out of a cart at work
>>
>>15695466
Yeah, that shit normally goes off to places that are "certified" and have some kind of insurance to back them up if they fuck up. Re-calibrating a handful of torque wrenches every year or two isn't worth the hassle for a small shop to do themselves. Just send the tools off and let a shop that specializes in that kind of thing do it.

>>15691820
I worked at a hardware store in high school and can tell you right now that no True Value, Ace, or other mom & pop hardware store offers torque wrench calibration services. You'll have to either contact the manufacturer or find some other shop that offers those kinds of services.
>>
>>15695523
Well yeah, obviously you should buy whatever suits your needs the best at that moment.

Now, if a no-tools faggot was looking to buy a starter set of sockets, ratchets, and wrenches what brand would you recommend?
>>
File: images (2).jpg (8KB, 230x219px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
8KB, 230x219px
>>15695546
probably stanley. they are dirt fucking cheap at walmart.
or harbor freight. both are really good for a no tools faggot
>>
>>15695562
Yeah, you're probably right. Most people doing light maintenance on their vehicles don't really need anything "better" than Stanley or Harbor Freight tools.
>>
>>15695473
That seems pretty close to snap on prices yo.

But ya you don't get it on credit.
>>
>>15695581
really i have found snap on generally cheaper
http://www.tooltopia.com/armstrong-28-424.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp6808227&sc_intid=ARM28-424&gclid=CjwKEAjwrvq9BRD5gLyrufTqg0YSJACcuF815aPK093cSepqn0Hit114JUO1la6IP7BXv6bLBEvoLRoCY4Lw_wcB
>>
>>15695523
About standard for these days, nobody really cares about brand loyalty and having a big dick waving box anymore. When I started wrenching there were guys with $25k Macsimizers and only Mac tools, only Snap On guys including the ridiculous price scopes and diag tools, etc. Now a lot of high end shops have built ins, you can actually buy decent cheap boxes, and most of those brand tardos have retired. Sucks for the tool truck guys though they were getting rich 15 years ago, now they are just scraping by, box sales must be 10% of what they used to be
>>
>>15695523
You work on cars don't you?

You're right but you're gonna need a lot more tools if you wanna go somewhere better lol
>>
>>15695473
>29 piece set
>over $400

Jesus Christ... I know it's a 1/2" drive set but still what the fuck. You could buy a 432 piece "mechanics tool set" from Husky for $350...
>>
>>15695602
Maybe online and stuff. Once you have dealer markup factored in it equals about the same.

That's a pretty big ass adjustable wrench lol. I can understand that price.
>>
File: rps20160720_232115.jpg (65KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
rps20160720_232115.jpg
65KB, 800x450px
>>15695620
I stopped looking at what things cost..
>>
>>15695626
those big ones are fucking handy
things like trailer balls come to mind
>>
>>15695620
If you've ever felt them together and more importantly used them in the field for an extended amount of time you would understand. Working a couple of hours on weekends is not the same as tearing apart suspensions in a dirt lot in ghetto town 6 days a week.
>>
>>15695638
Oh hell ya. I've constantly used mine to straighten bent metal at work too. They're badass.
>>
File: 1463032612288.png (71KB, 298x298px) Image search: [Google]
1463032612288.png
71KB, 298x298px
>>15695580
true that. the reason why i have so many expensive brands is like anoither anon said some makers like snap on and mac make tools specifically for that ONE fucking NUT or making that ONE job easier. also i work at a dealership and its easier for alot of technicians to just finance a tool off the truck rather than spending hundreds of dollars at sears up front you can pay off your tools little by little every week.
>>
>>15695642
Fuck that, pay good money for good ratchets and then get decent sockets that won't round off bolt heads... You should be able to make $430 go a lot farther than one ratchet, a couple of extensions, and a handful of metric sockets...
>>
>>15695665
Well Armstrong is special because it's an industrial brand that has different certification testing so that it's approved for government and heavy industrial settings like aerospace.

Whereas snap on has a premium because its:
>made in USA
>dealer comes to your work
>gives you interest free financing to a point
>has a very high resale value and keeps that value
>higher than average workmanship so shit don't break
>warranty that replaces broken items if your dealer isn't a cuck
Obviously you shouldn't buy every little thing in snap on or another high dollar brand but most sockets that aren't high dollar suck desu.
>>
File: 1289786438231.jpg (33KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
1289786438231.jpg
33KB, 650x450px
>>15695604
my bother works at mercedes benz and his whole shop (about 80 techs) have built in tool boxes by snap on. he even got like a 180 blue point set given to him when he started working there where as i work at subaru and i have to buy my own box and stuff the mac tools cart i own i bought off the mac truck used for 300$ its from 2001 but everything is all there. i like it but its nearily over filled. i need to upgrade tool boxes soon. and yeah your right, my snap on guy came in 3 days ago literally begging one of us to buy a tool box off him he said "im in a bad place right now i really need to sell a tool box im willing to drop prices pretty low" he always tries to get me to buy a tool box. so do the other tool truck guys because they see my old mac box and everyone else in my shop has triple bay macsimzer boxes and shit. but im happy right now.
>>15695607
i came from honda and work at subaru now. im happy where im at.
>>
File: snap on ratchets.jpg (176KB, 1233x925px) Image search: [Google]
snap on ratchets.jpg
176KB, 1233x925px
OK, so here's the deal. Snap-on only for ratchets and screwdrivers. Once you use them, you'll understand. It's hard to put it into words, but they just plain *work*. And yes, they work better than anything else you can buy.

For end wrenches and sockets, I have an assortment, Craftsman, Speedmaster (old Montgomery Wards made by Wright), Mac, Proto, Gearwrench, Blue-Point, Snap-On.

As far as where to buy Snap-on stuff, eBay, Craigslist and Facebook are the best places for the non-Professional.
>>
>>15695695
Ah good old stealerships.

I work on everything from trailers to semi trucks and boats and cars so I outgrew a cart very early on.
>>
>>15695691
Well if you're making the big bucks as an aircraft mechanic, semi-truck mechanic, or doing government work then by all means buy the best and most expensive tools available. If you're in a regular shop just working on shitboxes all day long then there's really no need to pay the pricetag for some of those tools.
>>
>>15695717
I completely understand, I'm just explaining why most people I talk to buy that kind of shit.
>>
>>15695702
dont forget that if anyone who wants to buy snap on or matco or mac, you guys can literally buy off the truck like the rest of us. if you see those fools in mc donalds and you want to buy some stuff. they will not tell you no. those guys need to make money. they could be at a funeral and they will still sell you tools as they lower that tool trucks wife into the ground after dying from her husband buying a mobile tool franchise. true story.
>>
File: snap on tm4cs.jpg (85KB, 661x881px) Image search: [Google]
snap on tm4cs.jpg
85KB, 661x881px
And this is probably THE MOST USED tool in my tool box. A Snap-On TM4CS. It's a 1/4" drive nut driver that also doubles as an extension. There's a 1/4" ratchet connection on the back of the handle to give you extra torque.

Stick the ratchet on the back, break the nut free, then pop it off and take the rest of it off by hand. It's fucking AWESOME on everything up to 9/16" or 14mm. I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend everybody pick this nut driver up. You'll love it, I promise.
>>
>>15695695
My shop is talking about going to built ins, I still like having my own box, I guess I would be alright with built ins and keeping my cart

>>15695707
The quality of the shop doesn't have anything to do with the size of the average box, when I worked for Toyota multiple people had monster 3 bays with both side add ons and the hutch, at Ferrari every tech just had a 2 bay with no add ons and a cart. Real high end shops normally have shop owned diag and specialty tools. The only reason I had a 2 bay was all my SAE stuff, now I'm 100% metric no diag tools, a 3 drawer cart is full but usable
>>
>>15695732
>old snap on logo from the 60's
damn son. i have like 2 tools from snap on from the 60's and 70's

found a snap on 14mm box wrench with a swivel at the end on thr ground the other day. its from 1988

my moms old friends gave me 2 HUGE bags of tools for free a few months back. all craftsman shit from the 80's but mixed in i found those old snap on ones. too bad its all in SAE and not metric
>>
>>15691570
I use harbor freight tools.
They work for me.
>>
>>15691570
Can anyone tell me what they highest quality tools would be on an unlimited budget. Must be new, no buy used made in U. S. Shop found an extra 40k in the budget.
>>
>>15695749
>>15695707
my shop wont settle for built ins unfortunetly. and the down side to my cart is that the top sliders dont lock. so anyone can push open the top of my box and unlock my drawers and steal my shit. been running like this for about 3 months now. still nothing stolen yet. i dread leaving subaru everyday. i always think about my hundreds of dollars in tools getting jacked from some illegal mexcican clean up crew after hours.
>>
>>15695766
snap on.
they are made in milawaukee wisconsin
>>
>>15695766
>Shop "found" an extra 40k in the budget

Have your accountant run those numbers again just to be sure before you go off buying a bunch of stupid shit.
>>
>>15695766
>unlimited budget
>40k
Pick one.
>>
>>15695775
Thanks. I think we were already leaning towards snap-on, I just wanted a second opinion.
>>
File: IMGP2360.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP2360.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>15695749
>when I worked for Toyota multiple people had monster 3 bays with both side add ons and the hutch

Same at Ford. Plenty of guys had monster boxes with a hutch, 2 side cabinets and a cart.

I always had my ragtag group of boxes but they got me by for 5 years.

I could never go back to a shop, it's just too nice having all your own tools at home.
>>
File: 1464057824027.gif (494KB, 245x240px) Image search: [Google]
1464057824027.gif
494KB, 245x240px
>>15695821
>ragtag group of tool boxes.
i had the middle craftsman box you have. i had it at honda with me and i had a shelp built into the wall that i had a small 3 drawer husky box on. it kept me by for 1 year while i was at honda. after i bought my mac cart i took all my tool boxes home and put them in my garage.

>it's just too nice having all your own tools at home.
muh feels
>>
>>15691570
aww shit nigga brace yoself

also buy autozone ratchets. they are copies of 48t snap ons and are very nice
>>
>>15695602
>>15695626
>think that $145.95 is too much money for a 24" adjustable wrench
>look at Crescent's offerings
>24" wrench made in China is $99.97 from Home Depot
>24" wrench made in USA is $276.04 on Crescent's website

o-okay then
>>
>>15693715
cobalt is a bit better but for significantly more cash
>>
File: snap on old ratchets.jpg (129KB, 953x368px) Image search: [Google]
snap on old ratchets.jpg
129KB, 953x368px
>>15695750
If you like that, check these out. From the best I can tell, they're from the 40's or 50's. I don't use them much at all, because my other 1/4 drive Snap-On's are 30 tooth, and these are like 18 tooth. But they are cool to have.
>>
>>15695881
wow thats freaking awsome. too bad im not at work or id share what old snap on tools i have. i sold a long 3/4" wrench to an audi tech a few months back from snap on. looked up the date code and it was from 1967. sold it for 20$ lol
>>
>>15695874
>significantly more cash

Well Lowe's has a 432 piece Kobalt "mechanic's set" on sale right now for $199 whereas Home Depot has Husky's 432 piece "mechanic's set" on sale for $350.

Regular prices for both sets is pretty similar.
>>
>>15695881
Those are 1960s military ratchets.
>>
>>15695909
Oh. I'd go for the kobalt then. More of it will me taiwan, as opposed to china.
Kobalt swivel ratchets are nice too.
>>
>>15695922
OK, I can buy that. I knew they were military, but I was let to believe they were older than that.

No matter though, they're at least 50 years old and still work like they're brand new.
>>
>>15695768
Well if you're happy whatever floats your boat man. I'm lookin to buy one of the new Mac carts with that easy close drawers and stainless top. $1500 isn't too bad. I can't talk shit about cheap carts though because I used a Napa roll cart that I bought for $150 that I beat the hell out of for 4 years till one of my co-workers dropped it off a forklift.
>>
>>15695821
I just couldn't stand not fitting long pry bars and 3/4" drive tools in the craftsman boxes.
>>
>>15695862
Swap meet nigga. Buy it for $10 made in 1985.
>>
>>15695929
Yeah, I'll probably go pick up that Kobalt set tomorrow. I've got a decent assortment ratchets, sockets, and wrenches already but I'd like to have one big matching set of everything and use the tools I already have as backups / extras.
>>
>>15694082
Cartlife. You really should keep a double bay around for your lesser used tools though. An alternative is the snap on roll cart/tool chest hybrids that are like $2k. They have tons of store and are just as mobile as a standard cart.

>>15694146
>I dont know what im talking about

Dudes at work with snap on cordless shit love my milwaukee impacts. The 1/2 removes lug nuts hammered with a 1 inch air gun and torqued to 600+ with ease. The only cordless tool im willing to secede to snap on is their ratchet. Its just got more balls than my milwaukee, but its also 3 times more expensive and has half the warrantly life.
>>
>>15695851
Harbor freight has a Snap on copy too now lol
>>
>>15695948
is the other one fv71 or fv70. Pretty sure those 2 specifically came from aircraft repair kits with mv71 for 1/4 drive and fv71 as 3/8s
>>
>>15694193
Toolsdelivered for cheap williams (snap on industrial brand)
Ohio power tool has some good deals

Check out garage journal for tool discussion and discounts.
>>
File: 20160329_183112.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160329_183112.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>15695982
Yeah they're 72 tooth. They are nice.
>>
>>15695974
What Milwaukee impact is that? Doubt it could do truck lug nuts like you say but if you say it happened...
>>
>>15696012
Fucking gears are reversed and it drives my crazy on my 1/4
>>
>>15696019
The new snap on 1/2 drive lithium can do the so I wouldn't doubt it ..
>>
>>15695982
The pitt pro ratchet really isnt bad at all. Ive got a 1/2 I use fairly often because my 24" snap on is a little too long in some situations.

I fucking love the pittsburgh plastic ratchet for electrical and light duty work. Im really hoping plastic ratchets become a real thing now.
>>
>>15696021
I'm used to it I guess.
The HF uses the proto style dual paw design as opposed to SO's proprietary and tricky to assemble design.
>>
>>15696036
I've tried that one homes it'll kind of work on the first dual but by the time you get to the third dual it just dies.

>>15696043
I've always thought those were a meme. What makes them better to you? I was tempted to buy some one time.
>>
File: 2763-22A.jpg (117KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
2763-22A.jpg
117KB, 520x520px
>>15696019
The 2763 with its 1100lbs of breakway torque. Its stronger in real world situations than a lot of air guns.
>>
>>15696069
Oh that pile of shit lol.

Nah...but my work bought one to test it out and after using it in the service lanes for a week the nose cone split taking off a lug nut. They didn't have to pay for it though.
>>
>>15696066
It weighs about half of what a traditional ratchet weighs and it just feels nice to swing it.

Side note: my dewalt based mac 3/8 impact locked down and/or burned up today. Just ordered a 3/8 fuel
>>
>>15696069
I have a Makita 18v brushless impact and that thing is fucking stellar.
>>
>>15696066
I haven't actually had to use it for more than a couple wheels at a time. My shop runs mostly air tools and I just have the electric for the odd weird spot I might get into. I will definitely say the snap on kills batteries quick tho lol
>>
>>15693933
>Milwaukee makes the best
Thats not how you spell panasonic
>>
>>15696083
Zero problems with mine after some pretty heavy use. It will be the year 2021 before the warranty is up on it in any case. Snap on provides a 1 year warranty and has half the power and twice the cost. They should really just stick to hand tools.
>>
>>15696115
>panasonic

We're not talking about DVD players, we're talking about tools.
>>
Personally I think Snap on, Mac and Matco and just better suited for professional use all three brands make rock solid shit and yeah the price can put you in the ghetto but your buying the best of the best, All these brands typically carry some unique tools you just can't find at Sears or Canadian tire that are down right superior for said job. Tools are tools they all complete the same task in the end.
>>
>>15696133
Epic joke bruh
Milwaukee is pigfat trash just like amerishit cars
>>
File: hilti impact gun.jpg (23KB, 457x515px) Image search: [Google]
hilti impact gun.jpg
23KB, 457x515px
>>15696115
>Panasonic

HILTI, nigger. Fucking Hilti. Nothing else comes close.
>>
>>15696110
That's why I'm kind of a hater when it comes to electric impacts, I get really fucking annoyed when I have to change a battery in the middle of a job. My snap on one helps when I'm on a service call and can't use air.

>>15696122
Snap On sucks when it comes to warranty for that stuff. I'll look into that one when my snap on dies.
>>
>>15696099
The xwt? Not gonna lie that spec sheet grabbed my attention. This new brushless shit hitting the market is amazing.
>>
>>15696143
My dad is a general contractor and has a Hilti hammer drill from the 80's that has been through hell and back and still keeps hammering. I've used a handful of other (corded) Hilti power tools and have loved all of them. Never had a chance to try any of their cordless offerings.
>>
>>15696151
It's really quality and I got aftermarket 4whr batteries that were dirt cheap that last forever. It's a seriously good tool.

>>15696143
This is very true. All the Hilti equipment I rent out at my store is incredibly durable and good quality. Fucking expensive though.
>>
>>15696091
My mac dealer gave me an awesome price on a drill and impact driver set with 2 batteries, and they're both brushless. So I had to get it lol.
>>
I'm using the same Craftsman ratchet set I got for Christmas 15 years ago. It does everything I need it to do. I even still keep it in the same blow-molded case, which is awful.

Most of my hand tools are Craftsman or Channellock. I love my Klein lineman's pliers, and I get a lot of use out of my Channellock duckbill pliers.

I don't generally go to Harbor Freight or Northern Tool because they're both about 30 miles away.
>>
>>15691612
Lol, thinks craftsman is still made in America. They are moving more and more of their production line overseas.
>>
>>15696143
Hilti is god tier for concrete work
Had a corded hammer drill for god knows how long that's gone through hell and it's leagues above any modern drills
>>
>>15696193
This. We have a hammer drill from the 80s, and a 50lb jack hammer that absolutely destroys everything with ease. Also just got a brand new 90 degree drill
>>
>>15696186
I don't think they make anything in the USA anymore once they moved their sockets and ratchets to china. The ratchets have always been shit tho desu.
>>
>>15696143
>only 330 ft lbs
>brushed motor

Plz leave

>>15696169
Mine is the 20v 3/8. That motherfucker has barely even been out for a full year. Im just really disappointed at this point. I wasnt even running it hard when it locked up, I was just removing a bumper. Hopefully warranty comes through for me, but I think im going to retire it for home use if it gets back to me.
>>
>>15696208
My 3/8in Chinaman ratchet is really nice, but the 1/2in drive one is God awful. I'm thinking of bringing it in for a warranty replacement but I never use it so I don't know.
>>
>>15696146
>I get really fucking annoyed when I have to change a battery in the middle of a job

kek, I used to install metal roofs with my dad in the early 00's using 12v DeWALTs with NiCad batteries.... 3 people using 3 drills would always have 6 extra batteries on chargers. We had to climb down off the roof and swap batteries every 20 minutes or so. Still WAY better than trying to string extension cords up on the roof to 3 different corded drills.
>>
I use husky tools, I think they hold their own. Never broke a husky socket. Have done so with craftsmen though.
>>
>>15696223
Stopped buying craftsman ratchets when my Sears would only replace ratchets with rebuilt ones instead of new ones. Fuck those guys.

>>15696221
Hopefully warranty comes through then. They've been pushing that shit so fucking hard they should try to make things go smoothly for a while.
>>
>>15696234
Iktf
Screwing off a big roof and swapping batteries every 45 minutes sucks dick
>>
File: hilti.jpg (116KB, 832x833px) Image search: [Google]
hilti.jpg
116KB, 832x833px
I wish I could afford Hilti, I just can't, not even used. When I worked at the Engineering firm, I burned up EVERY brand of cordless drill you can name. DeWilt, Milfuckee, Panasonic, Hitachi, Makita, Metabo, Bosch, whatever. You name it, I murdered it. EXCEPT, Hilti.

Hilti is FUCKING expensive, but it's expensive for a reason: because Time is Money. When you're on a job, and you burn up a piece of shit DeWalt or Milwaukee in the middle of what you're trying to finish, at the $150/hr. that we're charging the client, I couldn't give two shits less if that piece of shit tool is covered under warranty or not. It takes time to run to the store and replace it and get back to work. So that $300 we just "saved" by buying a shit tool just cost us $450 in time wasted running back and forth to the store to get a new tool, one which WILL break yet again.

If your cordless tools puts food on your table and a roof over your head, bite the bullet and buy Hilti.

But now? Just around the house? I have some shit tier $99 Ryobi +One Drill/Impact Driver set from the Homeless Despot. It works.

Oh, and by the way, Ridgid, Milwaukee and Ryobi are all the same shit, coming from the same Chinese shit factory, with noting distinguishing one from the other except price. Milwaukee used to be God Tier, but that was over a decade ago.
>>
>>15696234
On a roof I would assume so lol. Cordless has its advantages.
>>
>>15696258
18v lithium batteries was a fucking game changer for the metal roofing industry, I might have to swap out 1 time doing a residential roof nowadays where I was swapping at least 6-8 times using 12v NiCads.
>>
>>15696264
Never seen anyone use Hilti anything in automotive/fabrication/industrial work. What do you do?
>>
>>15696264
Hilti and panasonic cordless drills are made in the same factory in China
>>
>>15696276
Architectural/Structural Engineering Firm. If it had anything to do with waterproofing a building, we designed and tested it. So obviously that was a lot of roofing, but we also did fenestrations and siding.

The reason you don't see Hilti in automotive is that's not where they really advertise to, so nobody thinks of it. But that doesn't mean that their tools wouldn't work and work better than anything else out there, including IR and Snap-On.
>>
>>15696273
They last forever as wel and take a lot to overheat the battery which means I don't have to try keep it out if the sun
>>
>>15696294
>Hilti
>China

Everything I ever had my hands won was either from Germany or Liechtenstein.
>>
>>15696313
They have 'a' factory in china. Not all their gear is made by chinks
>>
>>15696306
Yeah, there was an alternator repair place in town that I remember my dad constantly taking his dead-as-all-fuck DeWalt NiCad batteries to and they'd send them off to get new cells put into them. He upgraded to all new DeWalt cordless drills using lithium batteries almost 8 years ago and hasn't had to replace a battery (or drill) since. They just last so much longer it's unreal. Well worth the money IMO, NiCad is a dead technology at this point.
>>
Beat the absolute piss out of my 1/4" Milwaukee when they first came out. Still works fine today, no complaints.
>>
>>15696340
Modern batteries are the shit. I love making fun of the old guys who used to lug 100m of extension lead around
>>
>>15696414
that being said, there are times when the only solution is a breaker bar and a bfp
>>
Whilst I am a big fan of the best quality, it's always acceptable to get something cheaper especially if you don't work with them. Except torque wrenches. I don't think it's worth it to cheap out on that.

Here in Australia we have a German supermarket chain called ALDI that has special buys every week. They offer serious value. Over here everything is overpriced except at ALDI. I got a 20V brushless WORKZONE branded drill for 80 dollarydoos. It has a 5 year warranty. This thing will outlast me I reckon. Makitas and DeWalt only have 18V and they cost like 350+.

Sometimes you have to queue up for the Saturday tool sales in the morning. If you come in the afternoon or on Sunday all the stock is gone. Not tools but I missed out on merino wool thermals a couple months ago. Went there on Sunday and they were all gone. When I bought my drill there was only two left
>>
>>15696733
Here in the USA, ALDI only sells grocery items (canned goods, dairy, produce, bread, etc) and a very small assortment of kitchen utensils / gadgets. I've seen no tools at all being sold in their stores here. Still a great place to get cheap food though.
>>
>>15696264

It's always greener on the other side.

I live in europe and hilti is here like common brand so everyone wants makita.

It's little different with tools tho, no one knows about snapon, gedore is the the king, individual sockets are even called "gedore" in slang despite it being only manufacturer.

I personally use cheap 50€ socket sets from Lidl because poor slav.
>>
File: kobalt.jpg (148KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
kobalt.jpg
148KB, 1600x900px
Just bought pic related for $199, in store pickup. Did I do gud /o/?
>>
>>15698665
it might get you started but it looks like it doesn't have many large sizes. i often use 20,21 22mm wrenches
>>
>>15696733
>Except torque wrenches. I don't think it's worth it to cheap out on that.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-1304-torque-wrench-testing/
>>
Is there anything more based then this?

I really want to pick one up.
>>
>>15691612
i keep all tools my electrician grandfather gave to me
>>
File: kobalt_wrenches.jpg (68KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
kobalt_wrenches.jpg
68KB, 900x900px
>>15698694
Sockets go up to 1/2" drive 1 1/16" and 22mm

open end box end wrenches go up to 1 1/4" and 32mm

Seems to have most of the bases covered. Of course I'll have to supplement the set with other tools as I need them but this should do starting out. It's a much better selection than what I've been working with up to this point at least. Now I'm gonna need a new tool storage solution though.
>>
>>15698737
That thing looks cumbersome to operate. I'm fine with an impact gun
>>
I inherited a good amount of snap-on tools; love them.

>>15698756
>>15698727
Stop tripshitting
>>
>>15698756
Those right angle impacts are really more for smaller stuck bolts in hard to reach places. Like those fucking brake caliper bolts that never want to break loose.
>>
>>15698756
I have found that impacts just don't fucking fit anywhere because they are too long.
>>
Whatever Harbor Freight has in stock.

Lifetime warranty.
Hassle free replacement in house
Coupon books with free goodies all the time
>>
>>15698766
I'm jealous of that. I have two snap on spanners and a few various sockets

>>15698767
I bought a 100 degree adapter bit that lets me hit those but for every day use I'd rather not use that thing
>>
>>15698766
Sorry for posting an article showing a $20 torque wrench is near as makes no difference as accurate as a $250 Snap-On model.
>>
>>15698817
I just wonder how well the $20 wrench will hold up over a period of a year or two with moderate use.
>>
>>15698852
For a hobbyist it would be fine. If you are doing shop work using it every day it may not hold up as well but then again you can buy 12 of them for the price of the Snap-On
>>
File: 147223302009037599851.jpg (829KB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
147223302009037599851.jpg
829KB, 1944x2592px
Is master mechanic any good because this thing is excellent

>>15698852
If you read the article, they basically state that it is all about how you maintain the device.
>>
>>15698852
I did most of my work on my car from 16 to 22 with one of those combo toolkits that was like 20 bucks. The only part that broke was the screwdriver, and that's because it was a shitty bit driver.
>>
>>15698873
I missed the word torque, ignore me.
>>
>>15698873
HF screwdrivers are pretty garbage regardless. I only get them when there's a coupon to get them for free, and even then I just use them as punches or for prying things.
>>
>>15698862
They did a 2 month test though and basically abused it by leaving it tensioned up the whole time. I'm thinking about a scenario where the device gets used a couple of times a week for 1-2 years and is always reset to the lowest torque setting when put up. Since most shops don't have their own torque scales to check the wrench, you'd never know if it was starting to get out of calibration. Then again, you also wouldn't be able to tell if the $200 torque wrench was getting out of spec either.

All I'm saying is it would be nice to have the cheapo harbor freight torque wrench used in a real world situation for an extended time directly alongside a comparable SnapOn torque wrench just to see how they aged compared to one another.
>>
>>15698862
is this a good value
http://peoria.craigslist.org/tls/5740445490.html

was thinking of getting this
>>
>>15698889
if all else fails you can just use a beam as a backup. they are very easy to calibrate, just bend the thing back to 0

https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-9-32999-Style-Torque-Wrench/dp/B00PUT6E38/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1472233585&sr=8-4&keywords=beam+torque+wrench

so you can use it to check your clicker maybe
>>
>>15698892
Looks like some quality Starrett micrometers at least. Might be a bit pricey as far as used tools go, I'd be tempted to get it at $200 if I had a need for the tools. With proper care they should last you a lifetime.
>>
>>15698901
I've got a giant 1/2" drive beam that I got from my grandpa's toolkit. I might end up picking up a smaller one to check my Craftsman in-lb clicker.... I didn't know anything about clicker style torque wrenches and left it tensioned up partway for a long time after I used it to rebuild my motorcycle engine. I wonder how fucked it is at this point.
>>
>>15696186
Work on your reading comprehension.
Thread posts: 258
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.