[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT : Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 49

When One Teaches, Two Learn Edition

General Rules:
>Ask /o/ questions that are either sensible or stupid here.
>Also answer to questions if you know them.

Note: Posting your question in a General or a Daily Thread might increase the chances of your question being answered soon.
(Threads listed below might be archived and also the generals which are not mentioned below have not been seen since ages or they rarely pop up in the catalog.)
>Sticker question?
>>>/o/osg

>Auto Vidya question?
>>>/o/ovg

>Classic Car question?
>>>/o/ccg

>Honda question?
>>>/o/hg

>Hot Hatch question?
>>>/o/hhg

>BMW question?
>>>/o/bmw

>Australian Car question?
>>>/o/dat

>Motorcycle question?
>>>/o/dbt

>Off-Road/Truck question?
>>>/o/org

>Commercial Truck question?
>>>/o/truckerfag

>Used Car question?
Read the sticky first.

Last QTDDTOT - >>15635760
>>
File: Mercedes_W202_rear_20071030.jpg (492KB, 1860x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Mercedes_W202_rear_20071030.jpg
492KB, 1860x1050px
new thread ok reposting

Is a W202 a good car? Im considering one atm.
Either a wagon or sedan idk. How much does a decent one with little rust go for? Are they even close in comfort to the W210?
>>
>>15672965

Does it matter what way you install car batteries or is it like a tv remote. i tried installing the battery both ways around in my integra and my car still wont start. is it the alternator maybe? thats what i found on google but they seem hard to replace
>>
>>15673051
One way only.

You're looking at other issues.
>>
What's the deal with hho systems? Do they actually do anything or what?
>>
>>15673061

right because the first time i put the battery in it made a noise like it was starting but when i flipped the battery it didnt do anything. flipped it back to the first way and it doesnt do anything at all. is my could be my key broken to start it?
>>
>>15673065
You will have blown a fuse. Take the battery out, then check in the engine fuse box for fucked ones. Replace fucked fuses. Put battery back in the correct way, I mean fucking christ, the leads are color coded.
>>
>>15672977
no
They rust just like W210
>>
>>15673083
Cheers do you know where the fuse box is on a 97 integra ? Car smells like melting plastic inside and I'd like to get driving asap
>>
What do I do when I miss out on the deal I've been waiting years for.
>>
1995 chevy s10 ls trim with 4x4. v6 manual trans not fuel injected

When I shift there's a clunk sound after the gear engages. My dad says it's probably the u-joints. Anything else it could be? Think he's right?
>>
>>15673111
jerk off and take a nap
>>
>>15673132
That's exactly what I did, but now I'm awake and feeling like shit again.
>>
>>15673134
Repeat untill not feeling shit anymore, then start searching again.
>>
>>15673137
Well, I guess I can always kill myself later.

Back to craigslist for now.
>>
>>15673094
Do a google image search. It isn't rocket science. It is a black box, that pops open.
>>
>>15672977
ive got one, the only flaw is the heavy rust on this car imo. ive luckily got one with 50k from my granddad, so i isntantly sealed the underbody and protected it from rust. put it on a lift and check under the car before buying it, VERY IMPORTANT

idk about america but a very decent one with little rust should go for 4500 euros. depends on the milleage too desu. if you test drive one make sure the clutch feels ok. it has a very clunky gearbox that it sometimes feels like youre driving a tank, but it sure can handle a lot of fucking abuse.

idk how comfy it is compared to other mercs, but i feel very comfy in it. 5 hour drives are no problem.
>>
>>15673174
what? 4500? C43s are 5k and up what the fuck are you on about? on autoscout the highest i saw was 3500 for a c200 in mint condition with a little over 100k kms. From what i see 2k could buy a driveable C240.
>>
>>15673199
i did say very decent, that implies no rust at all

4500 would be the upper ceiling. also i live in austria, due to tax cars cost a little more here than in germany.
>>
How many miles do I need to put on a new car to determine whether it's a lemon or not?
>>
Is there such thing as a american V8 that can turn?

I want a V8 for Auto X but also have the possibility of building up to keep up with a coworker.

If not, I'm just gonna give up and go with something Japanese.
>>
>>15673248
I'd say you'll have encountered 95% of all easy-to-spot problems within 1000 miles.

>>15673249
>Is there such thing as a american V8 that can turn?
Yes, there are plenty. The entire Pro Touring movement is dedicated to upgrading classic US cars with modernised suspension. /o/ even had (has?) it's resident Auto X guy.

http://www.build-threads.com/build-threads/47-chevy-autox-truck/

>I want a V8 for Auto X but also have the possibility of building up to keep up with a coworker.
You'll need driver skill too. Being good at Auto X with an american V8, especially older ones, isn't impossible but it isn't the easiest route either.
>>
>>15673263
well I'm looking for something that has decent handling stock, not something I'm gonna have to pour 5k just to get it at a decent spot.

My coworker is a drag guy, the Auto X is for me, but keeping up with him is just a side thing.
>>
In about 2 hours I will be purchasing a 2007 mercedes benz c230. Out of all of the reviews and information I found on this car, it all seemed very positive or very negitive. No in between. So /o/ do you have any experience with cars of this type?
>>
>>15673274
To keep up with AutoX, you need to modify.

Factory stock, a Corvette would be yourbest guess.
>>
>>15673249
There aren't many good american cars. American cars are muscle for a reason.
>>
>>15673303
I see, well then I'll just set my sights on track days and shit. I mean I don't mind modifying and spending the money I just don't want to spend 8k for practically a new chassis.

I really hate the LT1 C4s, love the styling, hate the motor.

>>15673325
true. well then in that case what would be a fun jap car for twisties in mountains and track days?
>>
>>15673338
You could get an older C4. The L98 isn't anything to scoff at.
>>
I'm thinking about getting a 06-07 charger rt as my 1st car
What appeals to me is the 4doors and vee eyt

Is it a bad choice?
>>
>>15673338
>fun jap car for twisties in mountains
You're gonna have to be more specific. There's several threads arguing about that right now.
>>
>>15673352
I'll look into it

>>15673386
Well I'm not sure how more specific I could get? I really just want a RWD stick shift that isn't a miata.

I've been wanting a Datsun Z for the past year now but I wouldn't be able to afford one that isn't running. Currently looking at the first gen Lexus IS300s
>>
>>15672965
This guy here is selling an SLR McLaren for 45k. The mileage is clocked at 30k.And I've always wanted an SLR and what do you guys think about this listing and the car?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-SLR-McLaren-Base-Coupe-2-Door-/391539368914?forcerrptr=true&hash=item5b2990a3d2:g:CEEAAOSwbsBXn8A2&item=391539368914
>>
>>15673534
>reserve not met
>>
>>15673534
>SLR McLaren
>45K
Are you retarded?
>>
>>15673402
There's just so many options you could get. I don't feel comfortable suggesting anything as I don't have the knowledge or experience with them to make specific suggestions, but the RX7, 300ZX, and R32/R33 are popular ones.
>>
>>15673360

Other than electrical gremlins, which pretty much ruin it, it would be fine.
>>
>>15673620
>Are you retarded?
Did you look up the link?
>>
>>15673843
Yes
He isn't selling it for 45k
>>
I bought a used car with a dumb sticker on the back and i cant get rid of it without scratching the paint, would it be fine if i just put another sticker over it?
>>
>>15673852
Uh what was that then?
>>
>>15673917
Also it's got pretty much high miles in it than most other SLRs that go for 300k and 200k that has less than 12k miles in it.
>>
>>15673917
A bid
Reserve not met buddy
>>
>>15673923
Oh alright gotcha. Thanks for the spotlight.
>>
If I'm up in the mountains can I wave someone through even on a solid yellow?
>>
Could you put to Inline engines next to each other? Possibly combine the engines with belts n shit.

Be tons of piping for intake and exhaust and shit but would it be possible and would it work any better?

I don't know the advantages but Ive always thought about it
>>
why did so many people drive nice cars like integra type r into the ground when they got high miles on them instead of taking care of them and cherishing them? now theres hardly any left.
>>
>>15673051
+ is + and - is -, it only goes in one way.

>>15673063
No, just like CAI, electric superchargers, all the bullshit stuff you can plug into your 12v socket etc. All just to rob you of your money.

>>15673870
Yes, or you could buy a can of that sticker removal stuff, it doesn't damage the paint or the clear coat, but it does get rid of the wax.

>>15674147
Traffic rules are more important than courtesy. If you have the room on the shoulder to pull over for him to make it safely, then I guess it's fine. Motorcycles, on the other hand, can easily slip past and have the acceleration to make it safely.

>>15674202
End-to-end or side by side? End-to-end is technically the way all multi-cylinder inline engines are built, with altered firing orders. Inline 8 engines used to be common.
>>
>>15674353
Side my side for the engine thing. Like this

Front
O O
O O
O O
O O
>>
>>15674369
Possible with shared throttle input and linked crankshafts, but has no benefits over a v-engine with the same amount of cylinders apart from redundancy. Some old tanks used twin engines for redundancy reasons
>>
>>15674353
Sticker guy here, thanks for the answer!
>>
>>15672965
Is that Salomondrin's 918?
>>
why are you posting all these faggot supercars?

>918
>huracan spyder
can someone else make these threads
>>
>>15672965
Looking at getting my speakers in my car replaced (they were blown when I bought it) but I kinda have no idea where to start
Not really concerned about having the best, but don't want a bargain bin job.
Redpill me on speaker manufacturers
>>
>>15674212
Because the ITR appealed to actual enthusiasts and not restomodding boomers.
It's also hella fun to drive. You don't just not drive it.
>>
I recently moved out of my parents house and took my car with me. Prior to moving I was on my parent's insurance plan because of a large discount for multiple vehicles, now I'm searching for new insurance.

The previous company -USAA- is interested in extending service to me for a personal plan even though I'm pretty far removed from anyone in the military at this point. I want to compare a few quotes before I do anything. Any recommended companies to look into? A service that could potentially bundle renter's insurance would be a plus.

Thanks
>>
Saving this from deletion...

Car is having acceleration and maintaining speed issues. When I let off the gas it'll stay accelerating for another fraction of a second, and if I'm on mostly level ground it won't coast, it'll maintain speed, with my foot 100% off the pedal.

Additionally, it constantly feels like it's at 10-20% throttle, and quick throttle blips will make the rpm stay up for about a half second after the gas pedal is released again. My MPGs are shit atm, only at like 18 MPG when I should be getting 30-35.

Car is a 2000 Focus with the 2.0 Zetec, thinking right now it's the throttle body sticking. Bought some carb cleaner and gonna go at it tomorrow, but if that's not it, could it be a vacuum leak maybe?
>>
>>15673051
>both ways
If you tried the wires both ways, then your car is

DEAD
E
A
D
>>
So I was replacing my crankshaft pulley, and I sheared one of the six bolts.. Is it fine to leave it with five or should I suck it up and get help?
>>
Should I buy a dsm for my first car? I'm not good with cars honestly.
>>
>>15677640
And if not, I've been considering a hyundai tiburon GT. Is it a good car? A lot of people hate on hyundai but I think the tiburon has decent hp for how much they go for.
>>
What factors cause oil pressure to fluctuate and what is a safe operating range for both a normal and a high performance turbo engine?

Reason I'm asking is that I just fitted an oil pressure gauge and it really made me wonder why it's at 60 psi when I just start the car, 20 when I drive hard and 10 at idle.

BTW: fucking AutoMeter retards, the space in the gauge between 10psi and 0 is so small it makes you double check all the time for fear of catastrophe.
>>
>>15674446
Yes. Got it from his facebook page.
>>
>>15672965
Someday that'll be mine. Nice pic OP.
>>
>>15677651
early 2000s hyundai is like... Euro-tier unreliable.
It's a bit overweight and definitely underpowered, but if you really, really like it, you can make it work.
>>
>>15672965
How maximum can someone modify their car? Is there any law?
>>
>>15677497
It'd probably be fine, but you might as well drill it out. Use a center punch. If you get it good, you can use the original threads for a new bolt, if not, drill and retap. These bolts usually run fairly shallow, so its an easy first time drill/ retap, as long as you can fit a drill under there so its level. The tap and tool should be like 30$ and the process is less intimidating than it seems. Don't get help, just do it. its not that bad, and then you'll have a skill that will come in handy in the future. use you tube. get cutting oil, handle it and get better at wrenching
>>
>>15677857
factors...
1.oil viscosity... the reason its up at 60 right when you start is that the unheated oil is thicker, thus more resistance and pressure.
2. the space between your crankshaft and bearings. worn out bearings will have excessive space, which equals less resistance to oil flow, which equals less oil pressure.
3. oil pump .. an excessively worn pump will create less flow volume and create less pressure.

thats pretty much it, to simplify... volume, resistance, viscosity (which is just there because it affects resistance).

you want at least 10 at idle. If your right at 10.... old engine?
when you drive hard the oil pump is spinning faster. pumping more oil through the same channels... therefore more pressure (picture twice as much water going through the same hose. not sure about the different specs for turbo and na.... I would suspect lower pressure on a turbo, simply because now the oil from pump has another outlet.... the oil line that goes up and cools your turbo. specs should be somewhat similar... try to find for your specific engine
>>
File: 1995 XR7.jpg (658KB, 1600x1071px) Image search: [Google]
1995 XR7.jpg
658KB, 1600x1071px
I have a 1995 mercury cougar that means quite a bit to me. Used to be my grandmothers, and i'd like to keep it going as long as i can, but its showing its age.

The engine is acting up, and i'd like it rebuilt or replaced. The question is, which way should i go. I'd like to rebuild what i've got and say i still have the original engine. but how do i know theres not going to be a big issue down the line during the rebuild? It would be cheaper to put a factory refurbished engine in, but i would have to send them my old engine back in exchange for the new. They both have warranty's for some time. I just can't make up my mind for the life of me. What should i do /o/?
>>
Can I get a nice looking car for under $3000 or am I gonna have to pay higher? I really like the aestethics of a supra but the only ones I see under $3k are in need of a lot of fixing up to look ok
>>
File: Ford-Mustang-2013-1280-01.jpg (110KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Ford-Mustang-2013-1280-01.jpg
110KB, 1280x960px
>>15672965
Does a Mustang with a V6 feel potent enough?

Also Does a Mustang with a V8 feel just about right or excess in power?
>>
File: caterham_super_seven[1].jpg (261KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
caterham_super_seven[1].jpg
261KB, 1920x1440px
Rotary engine in a Seven.

Why hasn't it been done?
>>
>>15676661
Throttle position sensor? You got cruise control? If it works poorly or not at all, give that a try.
>>
Isn't tuning your car bad for it? Like, it's gotta shorten the life of the engine or something
>>
>>15679051
Not really. It was underwhelming for me because I'd been brought up thinking a mustang was going to be a powerhouse but it's really just slightly better than whatever shitbox you're in bow

Idk about the v8 though
>>
>>15679252
the 7 already has enough problems with being too light and twitchy
that and it was meant to be somewhat affordable so it came with a cheep engine

but yes given the power levels and cost of of currently produced models
it really would not be too much different
>>
can you trust carfax? what do you do when you want to buy a car and don't know shit about them (like how to spot flaws) except what you find online about a particular model?
>>
File: chevrolet-aveo-2009-5.jpg (37KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
chevrolet-aveo-2009-5.jpg
37KB, 400x250px
What does /o/ think of the 2009 Chevy Aveo?
Got one for free from my grandma and wondering how long I should go until I upgrade. So far its been a good DD
>>
>>15679555
Don't get rid of it. Keep it and get a project car. The money you would towards making a monthly payment, put aside for upgrades and shit.
>>
>>15679412
>Too light
Amerifat detected
>>
should you buy an used car from a dealership or from private? how can you know if private seller is not trying to rip you off?
>>
>>15679609
Buying a used car is a 100% rip off.
>>
>>15679659
>Enjoys losing half of his cars value in the five seconds it takes to leave the dealership
>>
>>15679663
I don't enjoy it. But when I buy a new car, I get a warranty, helps my credit score go up, all kinds of fun things.
>>
>>15679672
>Buying a used car is a ripoff
>That's why I buy new
>That way I pay more to get a warranty which I probably won't need and which forces me to pay for grossly excessive dealer's maintenance fees
>The peace of mind is worth the tens of thousands of dollars I'm spending on it, even though I've never made a single warranty claim and probably never will
>It also helps my credit score go up, which I'll need when I keep wasting money I don't have on stupid shit that I could get for half the price

Face it mate, you don't buy new cars because they're cheaper - because they aren't. You're buying them because you're a sucker for salesmanship.

I bet you buy a new iPhone/Galaxy each year, too.
>>
>>15679684
I have a windows phone bro. And you know the only difference between me buying a new car and you buying a used one? I get it for the best 10 years of its life. You get it for the worst 5
>>
>>15679711
You could have gotten a car that was twice as good for the same money.

Yeah, your Kia might be in the best 10 years of its life, but they'll still be shit compared to the worst 5 years of what you could have gotten for the same price.

The worst years of a fun car are far better than the best years of a boring car.
>>
>>15679729
That's insultiing. I would never buy a kia. I'm an American!
>>
How do I fast
>>
>>15679684
>>15679729
Different anon here.

I bought a new car because I can afford it and there aren't used Fiesta STs from the 90's. My credit goes up because I financed a little bit of it, I don't know why I bothered though because I'm already in the low 800's.

I have a warranty, I've only ever made one warranty claim in my life and hope I don't have to again, but I still have the warranty. The two used cars I've bought in my life I also purchased third party extended warranties for. I don't like the idea of paying 8k cash for a having some component I overlooked explode and cost me another 2k direct out of pocket.

I'm an adult with a mortgage, bills, and kids though.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-kL8A4RNQ8
What did they mean by this?
>>
>>15673725
>RX7
I don't feel prepared for a Rotary
>300ZX
I don't know shit about them honestly, but most I see are in shit condition so I feel for a turbo model it might be close to 10k
>R32/33
I live in Commiefornia so those are out of the question.
>>
I just bought a 1991 ford ranger and the gas cap is broken, are gas caps universal, walmart has 2 types, threaded and non-threaded for $4, cheapest on ebay for my truck is $15. I was also told there is a crack in the dipstick tube, any idea how costly that is to replace?
>>
File: resize.jpg (36KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
resize.jpg
36KB, 600x450px
My 91 B2200 has been really unreliable and has been randomly cutting power to the engine and won't turn over afterwards. It's been this way since i used Seafoam cleaner in the fuel and carb, but i realize it could be many different things. Any thoughts? I can provide more info.
>>
>>15680709
To add:
5 speed standard. 2.2 L, 4 cylinder
Just did an oil change, replaced spark plugs and wires within year but could use a check.
Checked fuel filter and shouldn't need replacement.
My initial thoughts were the catalytic, or the distributor needing replacing.
>>
I just came back from visiting the UK and found a speeding ticket waiting for me at home. It's from an automated traffic camera which says I was doing 38 mph in a 30 zone. Obviously I have no way to verify this but I tend to obey speed limits wherever I drive.

If I ignore the ticket, do they have the authority to do anything here in my home country (USA)? Will there be a warrant for my arrest if I ever return to the UK?
>>
>>15680709
Is the alternator warning light on? Battery still good? And aren't those fuel injected?
>>
>>15680965
Battery could definitely be replaced but no warning lights. Never had an issue with alternator.
The later models were injected, I'm sure my model was the last with a carb.
>>
File: DSC_0207.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0207.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
My alternator is only charging when revved after I changed it.
A mechanic took a quick look and said my 'wheel' om the alternator was too big, I needed to find a wheel with a smaller diameter to make the alternator spin twice as fast.

Is this diagnostic sound? Why would they sell me an alternator with a wheel too big for itself?
>>
File: 1452076690408.png (936KB, 1016x807px) Image search: [Google]
1452076690408.png
936KB, 1016x807px
>>15678633
buy a salvage yard replacement engine that runs
>pros:
>already pulled and on a pallet
>guaranteed working engine, bet hedge against unrepairable OE
>keep old engine, rebuild
>better, faster, with more torque
>swap for salvage engine, repeat process or CL it

>>15679280
>aren't veterinarians scams?
>I mean you gotta take your pet to them
>sometimes they die
>it's gotta shorten their lives or something
this is what you sound like

>>15679451
>is carfax okay?
yes but remember not everything is reported
>like that time i crashed into a wall and paid cash to the body shop guy
>that poor subframe

>how do I know if a car is good without learn2wrench?
Protip: you can't unless pic related
take it to a mechanic to inspect, it's usually costs an hours worth of labor and will keep you away from most lemons
>mechanic cannot be a mook

>>15679938
u must into displacement and/or compression

>>15680706
>are gas caps universal?
no, but they shouldn't be $15 either, go to a napa or a real parts store and get the right one
>are dipstick tubes expensive/hard to replace?
no, and you you could probably get away with jb welding the cracked one
>>
>>15681142
Do you have the old one to compare?
>>
File: 20160823_140406(2).jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160823_140406(2).jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>15672965
would it be worth trying to wrap this door panel in carbon fiber vinyl wrap or would it be too hard?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160823-230902.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160823-230902.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>15681225
The only photo I have of the old one is this one, doesn't really look all that different.

But it would make sense since I'm not getting a proper charge under low RPMs but a 10/10 charge when 4000-5000RPM range.
Can i even buy a replacement wheel?
Car is a citroen BX TGE14 and the alternator is a standard 50A
>>
Why would my car feel like it's jerking?
It'll be driving fine, then it'll just jerk to one side or another.
Then it'll do it again in a couple hundred feet.

I thought it was my tires (they were pretty well worn), so I replaced them.
I had my alignment checked and they said it was good.
>>
>>15678152
Your local area, city or state of whatever should have their own set of laws and regulations for car modifications.
Or you can just mod, and wait to get pulled over.
>>
>>15681266
Go watch some YouTube videos and decide that for yourself.
>>
I feel bad for wanting a WRX and I don't know why.

All I want is a standard daily driver that's some fun and has awd.
>>
>>15679264
haven't looked at TPS, have no way to diagnose it without flat out replacing.

Cleaned the throttle body, didn't solve my issue.

Right now leaning towards vacuum leak, fits the poor MPG, lack of throttle response, and high coasting RPM.
>>
>>15682935
send help. Is there anything wrong with wanting one or am I being gay?

I'm having trouble finding alternatives.
>>
should silicone cure/dry fine if it's getting a bit wet?

I've googled and people say it still should cure fine enough...
car had a leak around taillight area because the rubber washer/grommets were cracked/split at one side so it was leaving a hole. just put silicone on it and a bit of cut up bike tube as an extra grommet type thing (the bike tube itself actually worked and stopped the leaking), but don't have garage/shelter to put car in till it drys
>>
>>15683314
Just put something around the patched grommet to keep it dry. I'd just use painter's tape to keep a plastic cap over it or something. One of the plastic balls the 25 cent prizes come in at the supermarket would work, or a spray bottle cap or something.
>>
>>15681142
I seriously question that diagnosis. A good alt. should be able to charge battery with a fraction of its power unless your using tons of electronics.
Older car? often, when the alt is replaced, it has trouble establishing the grounding part of the circuit.
I would start with the basics... check and clean connections on alt, battery, and main groundstrap. get battery tested. if batt and connections are good and you still have the same problem.. next thing I would do is add another groundstrap or two.... another big one to the engine or starter bolt or tranny somewhere, and another one to chassis.... unless you positively confirm the pulley is way, way too big.

if it is a grounding issue... it can go away on its own when the circuit is more established.. sounds crazy... but has happenned to me twice.
. also could be a short somewhere... always draining
>>
File: solarpunk.png (848KB, 764x540px) Image search: [Google]
solarpunk.png
848KB, 764x540px
Guys, car audio isn't my strength and I have a question.

The previous owner of my car installed a 4ch amp which is currently powering the 4 door speakers (can't remember off the top of my head what the power output is). Can I rewire it so that those 4 speakers are being powered on only 2 channels and then use the 2 free channels to power a subwoofer (probably something 10" or less)?

I'm not looking to make a super quality sound car or anything, so the drop in power to the door speakers, which I'm fairly sure are the stock speakers anyway, doesn't worry me since I'm sure they'll still be getting tonnes more power than they would have out of the head unit's amp. Mostly just interested in getting some small amount of bass happening.

pic unrelated
>>
ok just saw your other post and that pulley looks the same.... kind of low amp alternator to begin with.
could be many things... my money is still on ground, assuming batt has been tested
whats your warning light doing?
>>
>>15678633
>how do i know theres not going to be a big issue down the line during the rebuild?

You don't. Engine rebuilds are a gamble and there's no such thing as a "cheap" rebuild. I would think that if you're set on at least attempting to keep the original engine you could tear it down and see if there's any unexpected problems with it and, if there are, get a factory refurbished one instead. If there're no problems rebuild it as you planned.
>>
File: throttle body.jpg (930KB, 1500x1269px) Image search: [Google]
throttle body.jpg
930KB, 1500x1269px
>Backstory:
A few days ago I pulled off my throttle body to clean it - and hopefully fix the idle issues I've been having. When I did, I saw maybe 150mL of oil in the engine behind where I had removed throttle body. Pretty sure it shouldn't be there, but this is the first time I've gone this deep into an engine.

>Question:
Is it normal to have oil on the engine side of the throttle body? If not, what could be the cause of it's presence and how serious is it?
>>
File: 16757-3460-full.jpg (21KB, 364x364px) Image search: [Google]
16757-3460-full.jpg
21KB, 364x364px
>>15682935
>>15683056
I have an 02' wrx wagon and I love it. I know I'm not the fastest car but its quick enough to spank any Honda that looks your way. You're not the bottom of the barrel and that's good enough for me.
>>
Is getting a dual clutch first car (audi tt) a good idea? I've finally saved up 20k€ for a mkII tt because it fills all my requirements and looks sexy af imho and i am scared shitless of regular manuals due to no prior experience.
>>
File: DSC_0213.jpg (176KB, 946x663px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0213.jpg
176KB, 946x663px
>>15684092
Funny enough I tested the amp draw and stopped it's 0A, and with the radio powered on it's 4A, so it's not parasitic draw.

I changed the battery connections, and checked grounding by stabbing at random parts with a multimeter and getting exactly the same voltage as the battery reported.

How does one clean connections?
I'm going to replace my ground strap next, anny tips or recommendation?
And yes, it's a pretty old vehicle but since this has happend since before I replaced the alt and it has been a problem that gets worse the more time passes I'm doubting it's gonna "settle".

Thanks for the info!
>>
>>15684928
[URL=http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/greglousy/media/20160824_125602_resized_zpsedgzz12x.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q785/greglousy/20160824_125602_resized_zpsedgzz12x.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
>>
File: 20160824_125602_resized.jpg (690KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160824_125602_resized.jpg
690KB, 1920x1440px
>>15684928
here is how I improved the grounding situation in the ole '86
heres my negative terminal. its gold plated and had spots for additional grounds built in, so I wouldn't just have to cram fittings onto the screw. The yellow (I know, not a "ground" color, but its all i had) is an 8 gauge wire going right from the alt. housing I put in when I had similar issues and wanted to be damn sure the alt was grounding. some alternators have a spot for its own ground wire, most have no wire and just ground direct through the metal.
note that I have other black wires going to ground to... one to chassis (just scraped paint off an area and connected with big sheet metal screw). another one going to the tranny or starter bolt or somewhere... I forget where I put it... cant have to much. Those gold plated terminals were something like $20 at autozone.
.... clean terminals with wire brush. can use baking soda/water solution too, but I usually just scrape unless it looks real bad. The only important connections on alt are the main power line (big one). and the exciter wire, which is a little guy (but an important one) and its often blue. check this wire out too. maybe cut and put a new connector on if it looks bad... visually inspect. trace through engine compartment. (no need to trace through the firewall and into the madness of your cluster... yet)
thats all for now... gotta work. also.... did you verify batteries good? this is all meaningless if its not. also.... alt warning light working right? from what you describe, it should be remaining on until you rev it way up. this little light is on the exciter wire circuit and is more important than you think.

I think the next step is improve your groun
>>
>>15684928
forget that last half sentence... in rush forgot it was there
>>
>someone hits my car
>report it to insurance company
>they tell me to get an estimate
>get free estimate at dealership
>~$1200
>seems too high
>want to get a new estimate
>have $500 deductible
>insurance company pays me $700 for remaining costs before I can find a cheaper place

So, can I just use this money to go somewhere cheaper and get the repairs done?
>>
>>15686000
I bought two braided ground copper wires and misc lengths of cable.
I have a soldering iron so I'm going to change all cables that look suspicious.
I'll try and clean all the connections.

So the first step would be attaching a ground from the negative terminal in the battery to the chasis of the vehicle?
Then it makes sense to add another ground from the negative in the alternator to the chasis of the car, right?
>>
bought a car from some shithead who didnt tell me about the $1000 of general repairs it needed, or the fact that it's not even remotely close to passing smog. i realize that smogging is his responsibility, and i should have made him do it, but it's a little late for that. i shouldn't have even bought the car in the first place
is there anything i can do to get him to pay for this? any help would b appreciated
california btw
>>
>>15674588
Anyone?
>>
File: suspension.jpg (33KB, 502x292px) Image search: [Google]
suspension.jpg
33KB, 502x292px
I want to replace my suspension. If I buy new shocks and springs would that be everything I need?

What's the difference between shocks and struts? Do struts+springs=shocks?
>>
I bought this 91 ford ranger the other day for cheap and the cruise control is broken as you can see, not finding any guides if just placing the switch would make it work again or if I'll actually have to take the steering wheel apart.
>>
File: IMG_20160824_135152.jpg (1009KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160824_135152.jpg
1009KB, 2592x1944px
>>15686411
>>
I'm dead set on buying a 99 - 04 Mustang

However, I'm conflicted.

The only V8s in a 200 mile radius are Automatics, but there are a few V6 Manuals.

Should I just get an Automatic V8 and tranny swap it later down the road?
>>
>>15686417
>I'm dead set
>However, I'm conflicted
u wot m8

also get the fox body instead they look cooler and are not associated with the "mustang drivers are trash" meme
>>
>>15686428
I'm gonna buy that model, but the tranny/engine combo has me conflicted.

Ideally I'd like a v8 manual but the only v8s are autos.

I've never driven stick but it seems like a waste getting a mustang in automatic
>>
>>15686428
>u wot m8
Do u have a reading comprehension problem?
>>15686417
Wait for the v8 manual itll be a hell of a lot easier than the swap
>>
>>15686439
Expand your search. I had to go to vegas (~300) miles away to get my car
>>
>>15686444
Only issue with it being too far out is that I don't have a single fucking clue how to drive a stick so I'm gonna have my friend drive it home for me.
>>
>>15686317
how many times to I have to reply to myself to get an answer.
>>
>>15686491
try making a post without the phrase "redpill me". Seriously, it's a fucking stupid thing to say. I bet you're the kind of autismo who says it in person.
>"Excuse me, professor. Can you redpill me on maxwell's equations?"
-You
>>
>>15686505
The fuck is your Jewish ass so triggered by a shitty reference.
>>
>>15686317
Can't go wrong with pioneer.

What kinda car you got nigga
>>
>>15686510
Mid 90's Honda.
>>
>>15686518
model?

jesus fuck faggot
>>
>>15686520
Integra.
Fuck yourself, I waited two days to get an answer.
>>
>>15686525
>>15686509
>being this assblasted
just go on crutchfield and search for whatever your broke ass can afford.
>>
>>15686533
Thanks fucko.
>>
>>15686535
>dumbass white "man" had to wait for 2 days to get an answer he could have gotten in 2 seconds by googling "car speakers"
>>
>>15686541
>implying my white ass knows anything about nigger tier car mods
>>
>>15686548
swapping out blown speakers isn't a "nigger tier car mod" you stupid fuck. You don't know anything about cars. You take your car to jiffy lube to change your oil.
>>
>>15686548
>putting a sound system in your car is now nigger tier

I was gonna help your faggot ass out since my buddy owns a shop that specializes in this shit but you can go ahead and get fucked in the ass with two walrus tusks you dildo mancing cock witch.
>>
>>15673125
Probably u joints. Does it clunk before or after releasing the clutch?

>>15686474
You'll learn within the first hour if it's the only way to get it back. It isn't rocket science nor is it a difficult task. Once you HAVE to do something you'll figure it out.

>>15679609
I'd go private myself. Just have to know what you're looking for. Read the sticky or take a friend with you.

>>15679051
V6 is a waste.

>>15678705
General rule of thumb
>Cheap cars are usually mechanically sound and in need of body work
>Cheap cars look good but need mechanical work
>>
>>15686559
Kek. Sure you were.
>>
>>15686555
>jiffy lube
I'll jiffy lube your ass up Jamal.
Seriously tho, the only people bothered are you guys.
Car hasn't had speakers for 8 months, it'll live another 8 without em.
>>
>>15686590
Listen here faggot man. I don't think you understand just who I am. I'm the king of this board and I swear to god if you ever reply to me like that again I will back trace your IP address and range ban your little cake boy ass on the spot. Keep talking about how you don't care, I know how much this website means to you. Actually you know what? I'll reverse ban your ass so it's like you never came here in the first place. You''ll be banned in all of the different time streams where your a cuck, which is every single parallel dimension, ask /sci/, you're always a cuck, no matter what. It's like a law of physics that you will always enjoy having a big black man fuck your wife. SO get the fuck off my board and off my website you massive ass eating cuck boy.
>>
>>15686619
So what brand of speakers do you reccomend, mister Alphonse?
>>
>>15686631
either bose or beats by dre are the best, but it's not like your broke ass could afford them
>>
>>15686649
>being so poor that you consider beats expensive
>>
Where does Aston Martin get their dogleg 7-speeds?

The only other manual 7 speeds are Porsche and Corvette. Porsche is basically a ZF dual clutch with a stick bolted on, and the Corvette is a Tremendous TR-6070, a 7 speed version of the TR6060, which is an upgraded T56. I wonder where Aston gets theirs - I highly doubt that they'd make them in house.
>>
>>15686775
>Tremendous
Tremec. Goddamn autocorrect.
>>
File: Untitled.png (211KB, 725x487px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
211KB, 725x487px
Alternator guy here, would following this youtube tutorial be recommendable? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnmXKjm3tZE
>>
File: 2017-McLaren-570S-107-876x535.jpg (114KB, 876x535px) Image search: [Google]
2017-McLaren-570S-107-876x535.jpg
114KB, 876x535px
>>15672965
What is the advantage of small-displacement V8s over high-displacement ones?
>>
How do I drift

How do I learn stick
>>
>>15674630
you can shop around, but you'll have a hard time finding anything cheaper than USAA. it's a top-tier insurance company, you should feel lucky to have access to it without having to serve
>>
File: 1419129513165.jpg (296KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1419129513165.jpg
296KB, 2000x1500px
I had a bit of an issue with my 1.8 NA miata. In the mourning, my I was driving my car for about an hour and parked it for 30 minutes. After I came back from the store, the car didn't want to start. it cranked but didn't get a spark. now after getting this shitbox towed back to my driveway, the car decided to start back about 6 hours later but under very rough idle. I check the camshafts via the oil cap and the timing belt to see if anything was wrong mechanically and they were fine. after the extremely rough idle and general noise coming from the car, the noise went away, and the car is back to normal again after doing nothing to it.

Where the fuck do I start to troubleshoot this? I'm scared as fuck to drive my car now.
>>
File: BLASTFROMTHETOILET.jpg (11KB, 270x186px) Image search: [Google]
BLASTFROMTHETOILET.jpg
11KB, 270x186px
>>15687567
>>
>>15687444
Buy manual car with lsd.
>>
>>15687258
The same difference between high displacement engines of any configuration vs low displacement, low displacement usually revs higher at the cost of torque, and high displacement can't rev as high but usually have more torque
>>
>>15672965

someone told me that if you have air in your brakes and it has an abs system only the dealer can get it out, is that true?
>>
>>15687567
how old are the spark plugs
>>
>>15688610
I've owned the car for about a year now. If much of my maintenance history tells me anything, they are probably 3-5 years old. When I was changing the breaks, what was left of the brake pad literally crumbled the moment I took them off the calipers. When I was changing the radiator fluid, it was fucking dark dark brown.
>>
>>15684106
It depends on the wattage of the amp. Check the resistance of the speakers, too. Amps DO make shitty speakers sound better, If you like the dimension of the sound on the mids and highs, I'd stick with it, especially with stock speakers.
>>
>>15688600
Depends, but for the most part no.

>>15688647
Are you absolutely sure it was spark and not fuel related?

You have a single ignition coil? Bad ignition coils usually start acting up after being heated.

If you know how to use a multimeter you can test the resistance of it to see if its bad.
>>
File: tire.jpg (472KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
tire.jpg
472KB, 1280x960px
Is this something I should care about?
>>
I'm a poor college fag, but I would really like a convertible as my first car. What are some good low price convertibles I could get used?
>>
>>15686381
shocks and springs are separate. Struts are usually a shock + spring assembly.

pic related, rear shock + spring set-up.

Usually doing a complete suspension overhaul is more than just doing struts/shocks+springs. Theres a shit ton of arms and bushings you need, depends on your car of course.
>>
>>15686292
Are you saying your alt. has a terminal labelled negative?
I haven't seen that but if so there should be a wire (prob. black or brown) in the car already. just use that one making sure the terminal is clean. most alternators have an internal ground that allow the charge to move through the metal on the alt to wherever your main groundstrap is connected then to the negative battery terminal. the extra wire on mine is attached to some random bolt on the alt right to the negative battery terminal.
For the main groundstrap, leave it where it is already attached (it'll go to the engine or transmission or chassis) or put the new cable in the same spot. If your adding another one... it depends on the car... but choose a spot in a different area than the original cable so that the charge will have an easier way to ground (e.g. if the main ground goes to trans... put one on the chassis. if it goes to the chassis.. go starter bolt... the engine itself.. any bolt you can easily connect to.

All this being said, before you get into anything I've described too deeply, make sure you have a fully charged battery before additional testing!!! even if the battery is good, you will want a full charge on it, not just a "good enough to start car" charge. It should sit above or damn close to 12.5 volts. even if its at like 12.2... charge it up. if you have a charger, there are charts on line to tell you charging time depending on amperage of your charger. or connect to other car with cables and let it charge for a while. trust me, get it near full charge. I can't explain good reasons for this but I am speaking from experience.
another basic thing to check before getting too carried away is the alternator belt. don't get paranoid and overtighten it, just get a good look at it with engine running to make sure its not slipping.
(and you still haven't told me about that warning light lol)
good luck
>>
>>15686775
>>15686783
Anyone?
>>
>>15690441
Oh sorry, the warning light is rarely on, and when it comes on its faded and goes away when I rev, I haven't seen it in weeks.
My battery is severely undercharged, but I'm confused to how charging it will solve charging issues.
Also my alternator has a skinny wire labeled ( -) but yes I'm guessing most the charge moves through the metal.
>>
File: DSC_0002.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0002.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>15690441
Also I'm under the impression this could be tighter but I'm not noticing any belt slip, how can I tighten it?
My alt has two nuts one is mounted on an adjustable rail. But I can't just untighten the bolt move the alt to a tighter position by hand and retighten.
>>
>>15686775
I'd put money on ZF or Quaife.
>>
>>15686417
Buy a V6 manual and SHO swap it.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160825-192532.png (507KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160825-192532.png
507KB, 1920x1080px
Help. I cant loosen the locknut B in pic. I soaked it with WD40, waited, used the supplied c-clamp still can't move it. What should I do?

>>15690393
>I'm a poor college fag, but I would really like a convertible as my first car. What are some good low price convertibles I could get used?
There are only a handful of affordable convertibles, have a look at the first generation miata/mx5
>>
>>15690676
Make sure the spring isn't on it, make sure you're turning the right direction, then carefully chuck it in a vice and stick a length of pipe of the end of your spanner.
>>
>>15690681
>stick a length of pipe of the end of your spanner
RIP threads
>>
>>15690698
Either you're a little girly man and you're not going to hurt them either way, or they're already fucked.
>>
>>15687634
Thank you for the answer.
>>
>>15686775
I have the same thought too. I think they actually make it in their house.
>>
i have a 1.6 lancer engine from 1997. can't i just slap a pajero turbine on it and start it up or will i have to buy an aftermarket ecu.

also, if you have the time can you give me a checklist for what i should do while the engine is not in the car? rust removal is definitely on the list but the timing belt looks ok
>>
Lads how does horse power work?

I test drove a s40r today, 2.0l diesel 136 bhp. Felt like a nice step up in power from my 1.4 reault megane petrol.
Theres another s40r Id like to see but its 1.6l diesel at 109 bhp, is that still gona feel like a car with a bit of kick to it?
Is there a big difference between 109 to 136 bhp?
>>
File: DSC_0003.jpg (909KB, 2408x1632px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0003.jpg
909KB, 2408x1632px
>>15690441
>>15686000
>>15686015
>>15681225
>>15684092
Thanks for your time and patience guys! Rewired half the car and quite happy with the result.
Thanks for your support and insight!!

I was a bit nervous since this is way out of my skillset as a computer programmer.
Also I'm VERY sorry for my MSpaint skills
>>
File: sadcarisma.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sadcarisma.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
>>15686311
unless he sold it to you as-is this is illegal.
It should have been stated on the Bill of Sale.
if the condition of the vehicle was knowingly misrepresented you can take him to court for validating the implied warranty
>buying an as-is car and complaining it won't pass smog
>complaining about ony $1k worth of repairs
>how do I make that chump seller pay?
>plz don't be this guy
honestly you sound like a whiner and I'd counter-sue you for harassment
either re-sell the car or fix it it will be less hassle

>>15691489
>How does horse power work?
a unit of power equal to 550 foot-pounds per second (745.7 watts)
>I drove an S40R diesel
no you didn't
>is this how numbers work?
>i don't need to mention model year right?
fuck of Eurocasual
>>
File: garages.jpg (74KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
garages.jpg
74KB, 720x960px
>>15691018
>I don't have to mention if engine is originally NA or turbo, obviously
>I don't have to mention what year the donor Pajero is, yah?
>also you will spoonfeed me if you have the time?
>I like it baby bird style
wannabe evofag plz go
>>
>>15691609
>i don't need to mention model year right?
ah, thought I did! Never mind though, cunt. I had a good read elsewhere.
>>
>>15691655
fwd is never going to be an evo. i'm just making a rally car so i don't drive my main car in to a ditch.
the engine did not come with a turbocharger and the year of the donor pajero/other car i find at a scrapyard won't matter. i'll make it fit.

>also you will spoonfeed me if you have the time?
alright, can you at least give me an idea of what to google? i'm not finding anything
>>
File: 1438953725392.png (87KB, 366x374px) Image search: [Google]
1438953725392.png
87KB, 366x374px
>>15672965
Hey /o/, /a/ here. I know effectively nothing about cars, but my 70-year-old mother has insisted that I help her with this problem. She has a 2003 Cadillac DTS and recently the distance sensors stopped doing anything and it always says "SERVICE PARKING ASSIST" on the dash. Do any of you guys know where I would even look to solve this issue?
>>
Test
>>
Just how shit is the Prius C?

My sister has one and she wants to trade me the Prius for my 2006 Corolla so that she can trade in the Corolla to buy herself a new car. I really like my Corolla and I've taken such good care of it that it would be a shame to trade it in for pennies, but I guess that is also a pretty good deal for me to get a car several years newer and probably worth a lot more if I decide it's shit and I want something else.
>>
>>15691812
Something is wrong with the sensors obviously, would hate to say take it to a dealership but that's probably the only people who'll be able to fix it
>>
>>15690676
Big fucking hammer and a sturdy piece of wood that will fit in the groove, hammer in the direction of loosening it
>>
>>15691875
Well obviously, but isn't there somewhere that I could check to find the location of the sensors? It works be pretty stupid to bring it into the dealer just for them to tell me that some mud got stuck in there.
>>
>>15692124
Theyre usually in the bumper, they'll be round inserts periodically placed every few inches along the bumper.

As it's giving an idiot light it's probably electrical that's wrong not an obstruction, so youll need to find where the quick disconnects are and check them for corrosion or damage
>>
Does Tokico make good shocks? I was going to get a set of front/rear shocks for my civic si (for street use mostly, some canyon runs)

I was going to get these (Tokico D-Spec)
>>
>>15674212
Bacuase cars were made by humans to be driven by humans m8. It's their property after they buy it, and they can do whatever they like with their shit. Simple as that. Deal with it.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
What's the best way to clean up some frame rust? Whirewheel and sand it down, primer and paint?
>>
>>15684167
If it isn't a two stroke you got a problemo m8
>>
How do you guys get a feel for a car on test drives? I feel like every time I go for one here (South Florida), the roads (fucking nothing but striaghts) and traffic make anything feel like an econobox. I've been driving 3 series, 4 series and C classes and cant even tell the difference even though I know its there. Pls help wat do.
>>
File: 1344561615547.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1344561615547.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>15692291
Well, shit.

Any ideas where I should start trying to find the problem?
>>
>>15694968
How long have you had your license?

With out years of experience of what you prefer in a ride, and sense whats wrong, you won't be able to tell shit, especially in luxobarges that are designed to make it feel like you're riding on memory foam shocks.
>>
>>15695114
6 years. I know what I like, my current 3 series is fun to drive and so I can assume that I'll be fairly happy with a new 3 or 4, but I was thinking of test driving a Cayman as well just to get a feel, but since I can't push a C-class hard enough to differentiate it from a 3, I wonder if its even worth trying to get a feel for a Cayman.
>>
>>15695164
Alright since you can't do it by feel, have you looked at raw numbers VS cost? Bench racing maybe the only way you'll narrow it down.

You should definitely notice a difference in how much harder a Cayman is though.
>>
>>15695183
Thats honestly what Im considering at this point. I used to be in NC where the roads had a curve every now and then, but now that I'm in FL I might as well buy whatever lolcantturn muscle car has the fastest 0-60
>>
File: Town and Country.jpg (348KB, 1280x941px) Image search: [Google]
Town and Country.jpg
348KB, 1280x941px
What should I do about my car situation? I currently deliver pizzas so having reliable transportation is pretty important. My van currently needs new brake and rotors on all four wheels, it needs new transmission fluid, there is apparently a small leak in the oil pan, it needs new tiries, it needs new tie rods, it needs a new windshield (there is a big crack going across it which splits in different directions), and ever since I accidentally drove into some water, it has the check engine light on which apparently says something about the cooling fan circuit and the fuel pump, and the cooling fan circuit problem would explain why it overheats constantly now, even when I'm not idling for a long time. I don't make enough money to save up for a car in a reasonable amount of time and I have no credit so I can't get a loan. What should I do?
>>
My car's hazard lights keep going off when parked and locked, like a silent alarm. It's an 06 Fiesta ST. Going to check fuses tomorrow morning but I'm worried it's going to be something expensive like when the ABS module died a year ago. Any ideas what else to check?

This is a fucking nuisance because I was going to sell it soon and now there's yet another electrical fault.
>>
>>15695275
Find another job that doesn't require you to use your car as means of employment.

Or ride that bitch out til it bites the big one meanwhile saving up for something less than 2k.

Other Pizza anons I've seen suggest continually buying sub $500 beaters floating them along til they die and picking up another one.
>>
>>15695295
Does it have a panic button on the fob? Your key maybe the problem.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (374KB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
374KB, 3000x2250px
>>15695306
No, it's just one of these. I'm wondering if it's supposed to be sounding the alarm but somethings stopping it. Kind of glad it's silent given how it's becoming an increasingly regular occurrence but something isn't right.
>>
>>15695444
Have you been pressing the lock button twice when locking the car? I know on my focus, pressing it once will arm the alarm, but leave the doors open. Two pushes actually lock it proper.
>>
>>15695481
Always yeah. Does yours make any sound when you set it? I'm realising now mine never has, I just thought it was normal, and that I don't think I've ever actually heard the alarm go off.
>>
>>15695589
Nope, no sound. Just the sound of the actual doors 'clicking' locked.
>>
>>15695629
At least that is normal then. I've read the alarm is very quiet so maybe I'm just not hearing it. Still have to figure out why it's going off though.

Current check list is:
>see if I can set off alarm
>check everything's shut properly
>check fuses
>check sensors?

After that I'm kind of at a loss. At least, I've got all day off.
>>
>>15692259

Bump I also want to know this
>>
>>15680965
Anyone got any further input than this?
>>
>>15695296
I would find another job but I'm a piece of shit and have burned bridges with practically every entry-level employer (including factories and retail) in my area. Plus, I make more money because of tips so I wouldn't want to switch to another minimum wage job.
>>
File: IMG_0813.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0813.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Any reason why I can't run the oil cooler from the k20 on the k24 without having it connected to the pump like pic related? It just circulates coolant around the filter right? The K24 that I'm putting it on doesn't have one from the factory. l took out the stock oil filter adapter from the k24 cause I wanted to have an oil cooler on there and I mangled the adapter in the process. Then, I realized that the k20z3 pump that works with the oil cooler doesn't fit on the k24, it's a little too big.

wat do?
>>
how much should i realistically expect to pay for a windshield replacement on a mazda shitboxcar from the 90s? ive been getting quotes but one guys quote is like 2/3rds price of the majority. part of me wants to go with him cause id like to keep the car moving with the least amount of money invested. hes got good reviews on yelp
>>
>>15691505
Allright!!!

so it looks like it was a grounding issue. That 14.57 sure suggests that things are working fine now. From what you described, your alt light is working fine. Don't worry about the belt. you should be able to twist it like that even with proper tightness. There's a few different designs commonly used to tighten the belt. If you don't have a separate tensioner pulley (sounds like you don't), the mounting is usually designed so that the whole alternator can swing up to increase tension. from what you say, it sounds like this is the design in your car. you probably have to loosen the two bolts you describe, and the one big bolt going through the "heel" of the alternator (the big one above the pulley and your hand in that pic) loosen all three, pull up on alt. then tighten the two smaller bolts to the right tension, then retighten the big one... you probably don't have to do this now... I'm just telling you this because that looks like a new belt, and it may loosen over time and need one readjustment.... also a good thing to know generally if you don't want to pay someone like $100 to do a 10 minute job.
>My battery is severely undercharged, but I'm confused to how charging it will solve charging issues.

I don't really know either... I included this advice because I had a similar issue that was permanently solved when I finally put a good charge on the battery... maybe its because it takes more energy to add charge to a low battery than it does to maintain charge on a good one, and it took a little for the circuits to be established... just a guess.

I don't know what that negative terminal is... I think mine has an empty terminal labeled negative now that you mention it. Some alts have other devices attached. some tachometers go through the alt. I think mine has terminals for the silly "upshift light" ... things like that.
>>
>>15695275
ha... my kinda question.... brakes... you don't need damn rotors when they say you do... fuck em.... pads?... yup... just get front ones, 80 percent or so of braking power comes from the front brakes. if your back ones are gone, all that will do is further fuck up your fucked up rotors. look on you tube... do it yourself... pretty easy. now were 20 bucks in and solved brakes. the only other thing you can't ignore for a bit is the overheating. unplug radiator fan... wire it direct with two wires of the same gauge that go to it now. one wire to ground. one wire from fan, into cab, then to cheap toggle switch, and then to positive battery terminal. now you can run the fan whenever... or all the time.... up to 30$
if it still overheats.... I'd check the thermostat next.... see where its at on line and replace if neccesary.. should be like $20 and maybe a $2 O ring....

runs ok? fuck fuel pump
shifts ok? fuck tranny fluid... if not just top off - maybe 10 bucks.
tires? make sure your spare is good and just ride it out.
one day and 30 - 62 bucks... could be good to go. not gonna get you inspected... but get you down the road.

drive carefully, aware that your in a shitbox
remember... "not much to lose" can be a fun situation.
... or get other job
>>
>>15692259
Depends how deep the pitting is. Wire wheel on a grinder is good shit but if it's not getting into the pitting you'll have to switch to a flap wheel which will remove more material but definitely get rid of the rust. Bare metal > prime > paint.

The optimal solution is to grind back the whole surface until it's shiny bare metal, prime then paint it. But, if that's too difficult for whatever reason, and you are dead sure the rust is only superficial, painting some rust converter on the affected areas will help you out. Rust convert > prime > paint.

Also a hand-held wire brush will serve you well for tricky corners. You have to use a bit of elbow grease but they do their job well.
>>
>>15694991
Do a compression check. Possibly leaking oil past one or more piston rings.

How old is the car/how many miles are on it?
>>
>>15690676
I don't want a miata pls no :(
>>
any good cars that look like the ae86? love the design but I don't feel like paying 6k for an overpriced 30 year old corolla.
>>
>>15696828
>buy ae86 for 6k
>drive it a few years
>sell ae86 for 6k
>>
File: nissan-silvia-s12-8.jpg (128KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
nissan-silvia-s12-8.jpg
128KB, 1024x683px
>>15696828
most casual car fans would probably think the s12 silvia is an ae86.

There was probably a shitbox version of it sold in your country.
>>
>>15679051
>Does a Mustang with a V6 feel potent enough?
With a V6, it feels okay like an Accord but the car feels heavy.

>Also Does a Mustang with a V8 feel just about right or excess in power?
It feels 100x times faster with a V8; but it stands somewhere between excess and just-about-right.
>>
europefag here;
why does cars in lithua seem cheaper?
I know they have smaller taxes than in other states of EU, but if some cars are generally cheaper, somebody would be already importing it massively, right?
>>
>>15696858
is the s12 generally regarded as relatively easy to work on/cheap to own? can't find much info on them.
>>
>>15696505
Thanks pal! I'mm keep all the alternator stuff into account for a near future when I may need this. You've been so much help.
>>
My brake lights dim, the cruise control light dims significantly and cruise control won't work whenvI have my headlights on. From some googling, it appears that the issue is likely an electrical grounding one, but how do I find the issue and fix it? I'm driving an '01 Mitsubishi Galant
>>
>>15687567

Coolant temp sensor, you're welcome.
>>
>>15697468
Shit, could this be caused by a loose battery terminal? I had to replace the battery and the terminal was incredibly corroded, I had to sand the connector to make a connection. After this, enough metal was removed so that the connector couldn't "clamp" onto the terminal like before. I hope this ends up being a $3 fix
>>
>>15696593
Thanks man.
>>
>>15696270
Your insurance sometimes will replace it even on just liability.

If you're getting it replaced and you have comprehensive then you're just stupid
>>
>>15697542
Could be. You get a lot of fucking strange effects from poor grounds and the ground at the battery has to be in tip-top shape AND the terminal has to be making more than a little contact to get the full effect.
>>
File: Ford-Mustang-2016-1280-07.jpg (216KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Ford-Mustang-2016-1280-07.jpg
216KB, 1280x960px
>>15672965
How expensive would it be to convert a Mustang to AWD like the one Ken Block has?
>>
>>15697788
Very well could be. Jam some copper wire or a nail to make it tight.

Make sure it's something rhat has some size to hold the current.
>>
>>15672965
Why does 4chan require constant captcha solves for posting?
If I've succeeded it once doesn't that mean I'm not a robot? Or am I just not a robot for half a minute?
>>
>>15697872
More expensive than it's worth
>>
>>15696969
Import taxes bro. Think you can just show up with a car in your country and get it registered? When you import it you're going to get robbed by as much as you would've by buying it in your own country
>>
>>15696599

2005 Chevy Cobalt, 2.2L, 83,000 km.

[sarcasm] Piston rings sound fun.

Just watched a video on compression tests. Don't have the time this week, unfortunately, so I'll have to do it the next week I'm home. Thank you anon(s) for your guidance. Any additional info/advice you could give before I leave tomorrow morning would be appreciated.
>>
>>15698069
Get a 4chan Bronze Account. Silver, Gold and Platinum accounts are permanently exempt too, but good luck getting one; especially platinum.
>>
File: Mvc-019f1.jpg (69KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Mvc-019f1.jpg
69KB, 640x480px
Can anyone recommend the best way to go about getting the Firebird hood decal? I want it on a 94 Firebird, it has the hood featured in the pic below, but it's a white car, so I think a black decal would look really good on it. But, don't know how it'll look with that type of hood, and such.

Also wouldn't mind getting a bra on it, but I don't know how well that works with the pop up headlights, and still wanting to be able to open the hood on the fly.
>>
>>15698421
Why not simply take the front bumper off and cover it with a few layers of plastidip?
>>
>>15698429
I want that classic, straight out of '94 look.
>>
File: 3LawaZf.jpg (43KB, 557x1259px) Image search: [Google]
3LawaZf.jpg
43KB, 557x1259px
How do I narrow down what project car to buy?

My price range is around $3000 to $5000 and I'm currently interested in at least 6 or 7 different cars, I can give a list if that helps.
>>
>>15698434
Cream of the crop
Bang for the buck

My two processes I use to figure out what I want.
>>
>>15698421
Find a decal shop and they'll make and put it on for you
>>
File: 1398856760085.jpg (99KB, 599x495px) Image search: [Google]
1398856760085.jpg
99KB, 599x495px
>>15672965

Do all Mazdas have the Rotary engine, or is it certain specific Mazdas?
>>
>>15698583
RX series Mazda's. No longer in production.

Last was the RX-8, which was discontinued not too long ago.
>>
>>15699100
How to abandon vehicle?

Don't own it, lost title before registration.

Owner was unresponsive on getting a replacement title.

I did have insurance on it while it was in my possession.

Got stolen and wrecked, and can't even register it to own it, so not worth fixing.

How do I dump without it coming back to bite me?
>>
My first time doing something serious on my car.(besides bondoing and sanding shit forever)
I want to engine swap my 1.3 engine for 1.6 engine for my Corolla XL (1990)
Currently has an output of 74hp but I want to increase it to 100hp with the 1.6 engine from the 1991 corolla.
I found the engine for about 150€ with 200k kilometers.
How do I go about all of this (including the testing of the engine)?
Pic related is car I want to engine swap into.
>>
>>15698069
You don't realize it, but you want captcha. Without it, 3/4ths of all posts would be
>GO TO giveusyourcreditcard.com for CHEAP!!!!!! VIAGRA, CIALIS!!!!

It's there to prevent automated spam.
>>
>>15698443
I have thought about that and I think all of the cars I'm considering are ones I'd enjoy driving and working on.

Nissan 300ZX Z31
Nissan 240SX S13
Nissan 200SX S12

Subaru Impreza Meaneye

Mazda RX7 FC

Toyota Supra MK3
Toyota Corolla GTS AE86/AE92
Toyota Celica All Trac (super rare where I am)

Acura Integra/RSX
Honda Prelude 4WS
Honda CRX Si
>>
File: car-insurance-companies[1].png (478KB, 1446x668px) Image search: [Google]
car-insurance-companies[1].png
478KB, 1446x668px
Is there any way to renew my registration sticker without insurance? Or possibly some sort of temporary insurance?
>>
>>15699499
Your registration laws are state specific. We don't know where the fuck you live.

In SC the state keeps track of that and as soon as your insurance drops you, they notify the state that you're uninsured, and you cannot register until you get insurance and have paid the fines accrued.
>>
>>15698592
>5 years ago.

>>15699204
Your state may or may not allow a car with out a title to be scrapped, call a few local scrapyards, they may be willing to take it off your hands for free.
>>
>>15699436
What are your end goals? Power? Handling? Style?
>>
>>15699204
>I had to make an entire thread to be told to come here
>what are scrap yards?
most yards will come and tow it for free or if you can get it there they will offer $100-200
>unless it's total shit then abandon it there in the parking lot

>>15699292
>engine swap for +26 HP
I am laughing so hard at you right now
>how do I go about all of this?
step 1: scrap your Corolla, see above
step 2: buy a V6 camry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K27OGWMyEpI
>Camrys are legit spoopy fast, ask n/o/rcal threads
>>
File: engine bay.jpg (103KB, 919x516px) Image search: [Google]
engine bay.jpg
103KB, 919x516px
>>15699748
Actually its 105HP, so it goes to 31 HP, my bad. Which is pretty decent I found a neat 4A-FE engine. Its cheap anyways, I don't see a point to turbocharging or supercharging a corolla engine.I've got some space and I think I can do this on my own as it looks fairly simple. I get the dash and tranny along with some wires for the engine.
It seems like a decent project that won't rape my budget, I will invest my time and get some experience out of it.
Im not in it for the speed as much, its a 880kg corolla. If I went for stronger engine I'd have to strenghten the chassis too.
I just want some knowledge, some fun and I hope I get some decent pull out of the engine. I felt it around when I was driving basic celica 1990 with same engine. It pulls pretty good for a 105HP.
Pic related my engine bay
>>
I'm a complete retard with automobiles but want to learn about them, any good sites to get started on this?
>>
>>15699849
Car throttle and google.
>>
My truck shudders a bit when I turn it off after driving awhile. Is it toast?
>>
>>15700465
Is it a fucking diesel?(it probably is)
If it is then its pretty normal. How long does shuddering last for?
>>
>>15700487
Its a gasoline. V8 4.8L engine. And its not long like 1 second.
>>
does /o/ consider snowmobiles as part of /o/?
>>
>>15698373
Hmm, it's not impossible of course but that's pretty low mileage for having piston ring troubles.
>>
>>15700497
How long do you own this truck and did this happen before?
>>
>>15700562
Its starting to happen every time. After driving it for awhile though. Its got 300k but runs good aside from this.
>>
>>15700628
OK. Does it shudder like it stalls when in gear? If so try turning it off while holding clutch. If not, check the engine mounts and if they are loose screw those bitches tight.
>>
Its automatic. Appearently my belts need replacing. Could be the issue? I recently replaced the plugs and wires. Like 3 months ago and its been running great aside from that.
>>
>>15700672
It might be incorrect air/gas ratio in engine (if its carb), it might be mount rubber that expands and becomes jellier and softer when it heats up, it might be the mounts themselves.
Belts lead to another set of issues (namely lack of powersteering and engine overheating).
Change your belts ASAP either way. They are extremely important. I got mine snapped on highway doing 120km/h on my truck.
It was not fun, the engine was overheated, I couldn't turn the steering wheel with the power of fucking zeus, and brakes failed. I kicked the clutch like it owed me money and my engine was luckily saved. Rolling 50 or more meters would total the engine if I didn't do that and I would be looking at a new10k € engine instead of 10€ belt. So change them now regardless.
As for the persisting problem check of the solutions I offered above.IF none of them apply take it to the mechanic. It goes out of the usual problems if none of the top apply.
>>
>>15700723
Thanks so much!
>>
>>15698373
You may want to check the valve cover/breather element (it's shitty PCV system)

I do believe that there's a TSB on it
>>
1990 240sx
>Car stalls in neutral
>tach dips to 0 and then bounces back up repeatly while idling
>instrument panel lights permanently on but are dim and flicker when headlights are turned off

what could be causing this?
Alternator? Ground issue? IAA valve?
>>
>>15701343
>Ground issue?

... it'd be my best guess.. clean up main batt and ground connections. Car old enough to justify putting an extra ground or two in
>>
File: ebay-motors.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ebay-motors.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
questions about buying a car with a rebuilt title?

Any concerns I should have, seems like a common practice on ebay for sellers to buy cars from insurance companies that have been in an accident than fix em up then re-sell them ebay. Most accidents are just body damage. Of course I well check seller feedback and reviews before buying. I am not very knowledgeable with titles and "rebuilt" titles.
>>
Can anyone recommend a "safer" Miata? I love everything about it but don't want to be lose in 95% of accidents.
>>
Hey guys, Im buying a 1988 Ford Bronco pretty soon and I need to know what to fix if it doesnt pass smog. What parts would need replaced if a car fails?
>>
>>15702022
Stick it on a truck chassis or get a newer model.
>>15702009
Some insurance companies maynot offer full coverage.
>>
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5749918318.html
>no title

Are such things even worth looking into?
>>
>>15702718
Depends on how hard it is to get something re titled.

But typically no, if the owner to much of a lazy cunt to get it properly titled so he can sell it. then there's more to the story.

>>15702009

I am not very knowledgeable with titles and "rebuilt" titles.

No one is as rebuilt, salvaged and totaled could mean anything given the variance in state laws concerning titling, its more or less you having to physicall look at the car to figure out what happened to it.
>>
>>15702285
Depends on why it failed.
>>
Why does the Mustang V6 even exist?
>>
after the boot is torn on a car what is the sign you need to change it. I heard it starts to click but all its done is make a rocking noise when I ride on bumpy roads.
>>
>>15703398

boot on the cv joint, sorry for not specifying
>>
>>15703398
?? if boot is torn you gotta replace it
>>
>>15703417

I'm going to take that as an eventually
>>
>>15703444
... well at least swap out the grease then
>>
>>15699714
Ideally I'd like a combination of all three, but I'm operating on a college student budget. Eventually I'd like to do some engine modifications then tweak the handling and maybe work on the look/style in between.
>>
What info can I get out of this code on the windshield of an used car I'm thinking about buying?
>>
/fa/g here, are older Volvos (1983-1994) fairly reliable cars? I like the boxier aesthetic they have but whenever I ask friends that are more into cars than I am about general things such as performance answers are all somewhat mixed.
>>
>>15703608
Shitty bait, and yet I'm still falling for it
It's a VIN number, you can see if the car has been in a crash, if the mileage in the odometer checks out etc. Either buy a VIN check on a car light CarFax or post it in a VIN check thread and wait a while.

What car is it? What year? Mileage? How much money?
>>
>>15703688
Not bait, I'm afraid, I just don't know shit about cars.
2005 Seat Leon Cupra R, 173.000 km, 4.500 EUR, guy claims it's accident-free.
>>
>>15703756
>173.000 km
>4,500 syria shekels
just buy a civic, and SI is faster too
>>
>>15703671
Old Volvos are very solid. Many of the do way more than 2-300k miles. Just make sure you change the oil according to the manual. You can do this by yourself, or hand it in to a garage or whatever.

They are great cars
>>
>>15703110
Well if its emissions testing would i be on the right track making sure the emission equip is all there and working and then moving onto the exhaust system?
>>
>>15703359
Women that cant drive
Teens
>>
>>15672965
What is the benefit of offset valve numbers

for example, the 4.6 SOHC ford modular had 3 valves per cylinder, 2 in and 1 out, why not just make it 4 valve?
>>
With turbos, what is the "size" typically referring to?
Like if it's a 60mm turbo, is that 60mm compressor wheel?
>>
>>15704730
3 valves per cylinder is usually the most you can have with SOHC but some engines like the Honda D series have 4 valve SOHC. With larger engines it's probably cost prohibitive to have a SOHC with 4 valves per cylinder.
>>
>>15705504
>>15705504
>>15705504
>>15705504
>>15705504

NEW THREAD
>>
Can anyone give me advice on "modernizing" a late 70s Oldsmobile? I'm looking to swap out the motor to an LT1, put in a transmission with overdrive, and maybe change out the suspension to make it closer to a modern pony car. Are there any good resources for people who've done this?
>>
>>15673125
bad u joints would shake like a motherfucker just driving though, not just when you're shifting
>>
>>15673249
What's your budget? Current gen Mustangs and Camaros can actually kinda corner.
If you want something good for autocross tho, nothing will ever get close to an mr2 turbo or Miata
>>
>>15706916
Suspension should be the first mod. Old and new autotragics are virtually the same thing, and the only thing modern American V8s do better than old American V8s is fuel economy, the old ones will still have plenty of power to boot with all necessary mods to bring the compression back to pre-smog levels.
>>
>>15706916
>I'm looking to swap out the motor to an LT1
NO
While the LT1 isn't too bad of an engine (except for the fucking optispark), you're really limiting yourself to a lower compression build, and if you ever want to add a poweradder, practice up on doing headgaskets. Get a junkyard 5.3 or 6.0 engine/tranny/ECU combo
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.