[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vent Fans won't come on.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1467314545307.jpg (150KB, 750x565px) Image search: [Google]
1467314545307.jpg
150KB, 750x565px
94 Dodge dakota
I got in it earlier with the a/c on and on full settings and it cut off and came back on after a few seconds. I kept driving it like normal.

Let it sit an hour or two doing stuff then went to go back out and now it won't work at all. No fan blowing the air out. I can feel the engine when the compressor kicks in and no air flow when sitting still with key in but engine off and with engine off.

It's not low on freon to the best of my knowledge and no leak I could see or fluids under car or oily residue on interior.

If I turn heat on I can feel the air change to hot and I can feel the air being cooler when set to cold but the fans themselves will not blow.

I checked the fuse and it looks fine.

What else could I check to avoid having to take it in?
>>
Alright boys thanks for the advice.
>>
Check your blower motor fuse first. If thats ok then check the blower motor itself to see if its receiving power

If they are receiving power then its time to replace it
>>
>>15667654
Check your cabin air filter
>>15668064
Relax /o/ is a slow board. If it isn't your air filter, your motor might Just be fried m8
>>
>>15668078
This, but also check the switch.
>>
So I got it working after taking all the fuses out and putting them back in and jiggling some wiring around a bit to the blower motor and resister.

It worked for a 10 minute drive, let it sit a bit came back and it turns on then gets weaker and turns off then back on then off, rinse repeat.

After doing that a few times it stayed on and was working normally when I turned it off.

Any idea what that could be? I was thinking wires somewhere or the motor itself is just going bad. Luckily it's like a $28 part at my local auto store.
>>
File: rb973018_is.jpg (32KB, 200x200px)
rb973018_is.jpg
32KB, 200x200px
Check if your blower motor has a thermal resistor. If it does, the coils might be worn and causing it to behave erratically.
>>
>here lies anon
His name was Frolo
>>
>>15668734
It does have one under the hood. I'll have to take it out in a bit and check it. Gotta disconnect the battery I read online to mess with this thing.
>>
>>15668734
Looked pretty normal to me. A little old but no huge rust or burned/brown coil action.
>>
>>15668734

Some resistors have a thermal fuse that can go out. Mine went out last winter, only blew air on max power.
>>
>>15669700
Turn the ignition to "run" and disconnect the harness at theblower motor. There should be power on the Dark Green wire. If not, then power isn't even getting from thefuseblockto the motor. In that case, double check the fuse and then check for a break in the Dark Green wire. Plug the motor back in if power to it is good.
If the power is getting to the motor, then you need to check for power at the resistor. Power enters the resistor on the Black wire with tan stipe. If you disconnect thegreen connectorfrom the resistor, you should get full 12v on that wire. If you do, then the voltage is getting to the resistor. If not, then there's a break somwhere between the motor and the resistor. Plug the resistor back in if power to it is good.
If everything is good here, then the harder part comes in, you have to remove theheater controlsfrom the dash again and check to see if the harness is getting power on multiple wires. You should have 12V on the following wires: Gray(pin #6), Light Blue(pin #5), Light Green(pin #4), and Tan(pin #3). If there's no power on any of them, then you have a badresistor pack.
If power does get to the Control Unit like it should, then you'll have to check for continuity to ground on the Black wire in the control unit harness(pin #7). If you have power to the unit and a good ground, then you have a bad Control Unit.
>>
>>15669808
The air is blowing still and checked all the components on the resistor and it's all good even the connectors are still good. It was replaced about 10 years ago I believe.

>>15670081
I'll have to do this tomorrow after work but hopefully it'll stay running until then.
>>
>>15670125
With that old resistor design, many times the fault will be caused by wires further back on the harness (inside the black sheathing) shorting out due to the wires getting too hot and melting through their insulation.
>>
>>15670125
Also, a new blower motor resistor costs like 7 bucks, so you could just replace it and eliminate that variable for not too much effort. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, then at least you saved yourself a headache later down the road.
>>
>>15670198
I'll pick one up. Guess it won't hurt to have an extra in case.

Not a cost issue just was feeling lazy earlier.
>>
>>15670399

Nice.

http://www.handymanlyness.com/archives/auto/repair/electrical/heater_blower/resistor/replace_rewire_93_Dakota.html
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.