[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Painting my wheels with plasti-dip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: 85-Mazda-RX7-DV-13-PVGP-05.jpg (280KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
85-Mazda-RX7-DV-13-PVGP-05.jpg
280KB, 1024x683px
Hi, does anyone know how many coats I might need to get a nice flat black paintjob on these wheels I have? They're alloy wheels. I'm going to wash them.
>>
>>15663519
two coats of primer and more than two coats of paint.

Or just take and have them powdercoated.
>>
>>15663547
Primer for plasti-dip? shit nigga
>>
>>15663519
pic related? if so, kill yourself. keep it stock or gtfo.
>>
>>15663519
Powder coat or dont do anything faggot
>>
>>15663519
1 can per wheel, 4 to 5 coats. YouTube "dipyourcar"

/o/ hates plastidip weirdly
>>
>>15663772
no it's a honda civic sedan lmao i should probably kms anyway
>>
>>15664076
just go light on your first coat, it's more of a base to get the other coats to stick onto the surface, just take your time between coats and you should be fine. I'd recommend probably around 4-6 coats but it's up to you.
>>
File: IMG_20160819_073448.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160819_073448.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>15663519
5-6 coats. You want it thick so it comes off easily and not in a million pieces. Clean the wheels really well before you dip them.

Take the wheels off to do it, and put notecards between the wheel and tire to protect it from overspray.

Mine are now a year old and still look good. One of the benefits of plastidip is you can do a touchup here and there and it won't look like you touched it up.

Meguiars All wheel cleaner (pink bottle) is what I use to clean them. Regular car wash isn't quite strong enough to get the dust off the dip easily, and the all wheel cleaner isn't so strong it harms the dip.
>>
File: 20160517_033852.png (3MB, 1800x1013px) Image search: [Google]
20160517_033852.png
3MB, 1800x1013px
>>15665970
Really clean wheels anon. Also, informative post. I did the same thing, taking the wheels off + notecards between tire and rim.

When you dip your wheels OP, the more layers the better. I did about 5, maybe 4. Just put one coat down, and it's fine if you can still see some of the wheel. As plastidip dries, it spreads equally.

When the first layer is dry to the touch (About 30-45 mins room temp.), spray another over it. Rinse and repeat 5-6 times and it'll be thick enough and equal. Just make sure you do it on a flat surface.

I'd love to buy new black wheels, but I already shelled out a lot of the MS3. I bought a glossy dip so it shines, and to most normies it looks like aftermarket wheels.
>>
File: 1448649791515.jpg (343KB, 1776x1648px) Image search: [Google]
1448649791515.jpg
343KB, 1776x1648px
>protecting the tires from over-spray using note cards

Pro Tip: Let air out of the tire before inserting the cards. They will slide in easier it will expose more of the lip.
>>
>>15666524
what wrong with keeping it stock until you an afford wheels faggot? or powdercoat the oem ones because aftermarket wheels are all shit.
>>
>>15663519
Just don't do them matt black, ffs
>>
File: enkei.jpg (55KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
enkei.jpg
55KB, 440x440px
>>15666681
Black wheels makes it stand out from the sea of alloy, and I think it goes great with the red paint of the car.

And it's kind of a waste to spend money to powdercoat OEM wheels, unless they're already really nice. The OEM on the gen 1 MS3 are alright, but they dont pop out like they should on how quick the car is.

Pic related, clean styled aftermarket wheel
>>
Don't powdercoat. sure it's sturdy and looks good but it's hell on earth to remove once that day comes. I'd rather repaint once or twice.
>>
>>15666749
>makes it stand out from all the other ricers with shitty matte black stock wheels
ok anon, whatever floats your boat
>>
I have terrible luck with rattle can plastidip after the first application, it comes out ask lumpy in later applications I flipped the can upside down and sprayed pure propellant to clear the nozzle and it was still like that should I be buying some fancy spray nozzles that I can toss in thinner or what?
>>
Plasti-dip can come out okay. I did my 16" wheels before with 1 can each. It can come out good depending on how consistent you are with spray, distance, and dry time. don't do it under a tree or somewhere with a lot of bugs.

easily lasted 6 months without having to retouch.
>>
>>15666749
No. That just screams boyracer. If you want to stand out you should've bought a car that actually stands out.
>>
>>15666749
wut?

You powder coat wheels that are in shit condition, and plasti-dip new-condition ones to protect them with with something that is "easily" removed. Are you really this new? Probably so, because your pic-related is fad-tastic.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.