[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

top tier gas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 23

File: 138797571.jpg (32KB, 991x611px) Image search: [Google]
138797571.jpg
32KB, 991x611px
do you fill up with top tier gas anon

>top tier gas has often three to four times the minimum EPA rating of detergents

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/
>>
>>15660567
waste of money
>>
in my opinion it can do nothing to help a direct injected engine. might be wonderful for a carbed engine or port injected
>>
>>15660567
I always fill up with premium diesel. The additives used are pretty good for your injectors life.

It blows my mind when people driving new bimmers/mercs/audis just go in there and fill up with regular diesel or even worse, fill up in supermarket pumps with the shittiest quality diesel/gas available.
>>
>>15660567
Well I don't waste money on my gas, but I use QuikTrip if it's available, Chevron if it's the only option. Usually I go to Shell or RaceTrac. Murphy if I'm feeling cheap.
>>
>>15660647
biodiesel is the best of all for the injectors. but i rarely if ever see more than one kind of diesel to chose from. around here you are lucky if its not even red
>>
>>15660625
It's literally the same price as regular gas. And if not it's only 2 cents more per gallon
>>
>>15660656
biodiesel rapes common rail injectors
>>
>>15660567
Yeah, I don't trust corporate propagandist bullshit
>>
>>15660769
>more detergents to clean out carbon deposits is a conspiracy
>>
File: snek.jpg (29KB, 681x407px) Image search: [Google]
snek.jpg
29KB, 681x407px
>>15660769
>>
Why is it that literally no one knows what they are talking about when it comes to gas?
>>
>>15660567
>http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/
That list is like every gas station I've ever heard of and more.

Anyway I usually use premium, occasionally I'll fill up with mid grade if I'm low on cash.

Stupid Volvo and its fancy gas needing turbo i5.
>>
>>15660789
>implying they actually put any of that shit in the gas
>implying that all those companies is listed aren't some part of a price fixing scheme
>implying it isn't the same old corporate trickery that's been going on for years
>>
>>15660656
Biodiesel will fuck up modern diesel injectors.
>>
>>15660800
fuck off or post proper arguments instead of tinfoil retardation
>>
>>15660739
Because there is no difference. Companies get together and make stupid clubs like "top tier" for marketing purposes. Gasoline is a solvent, it's a natural cleaner.
>>
>>15660647
lol
>>
>>15660647
lol
>>
>>15660825
>>15660828
t. I don't know shit about modern diesel injector tolerance and maintenace
>>
>>15660647

>supermarket fuel

Is this an American thing?

I just mix in some 2 stroke oil to give me some of dat lubing. Sometimes I buy some kind of additives, but I think most of them are just placebo.
>>
>>15660756

Everything rapes common rail injectors.
>>
>>15661044
Nah. It's an european thing too.
It's basically low cost pumps owned by some supermarket chains.
There're also some low cost independent brands.
>>
>>15660796

Shills most likely.
>>
Should I use Shell V-Power 91 or Petro Ultra 94? I think the latter is 10% ethanol.
>>
>>15661074

The less ethanol the better, especially if its an old car. Ethanol kills the gaskets.
>>
>>15660849
t. I drive a 1.4l fiat and waste money on snake oil additives
>>
>>15661044
>Is this an American thing?
Supermarkets such as Wal-Mart and Sam's Club (owned by wal-mart) do that because there is money to be made. Unlike other gasoline sold by Top Tier places, Sam's and wal-mart have basically the minimum legally required additive package in the fuel. That would be the 1995 EPA requirement for detergent and that is pretty low.

AAA in a gasoline test released this summer, proved that Top Tier gasoline reduced carbon deposits approximately 19 times versus non top-tier gas. Costco did its own lab tests years ago and came to similar conclusions that having more PEA detergent in the gasoline was better for engine longevity. So that's why Costco (Kirkland) is also a Top Tier gasoline even though that reduces Costco's profits by putting in a more costly additive package. Meanwhile, lots of people don't care and keep on buying walmart / sam's club gasoline.
>>
File: RaceQueen_Kazami.jpg (214KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
RaceQueen_Kazami.jpg
214KB, 720x1080px
>>15660567
>do you fill up with top tier gas anon
My engine has valves, cat, and piston heads have upper surfaces, so yes.

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/

The test engine is a Ford 2.3 liter mounted to a dynomometer. Costco is better than Walmart at providing value and tested products for its members. Sam's Club (walmart) treats the members more like customers who pay to shop rather than as members getting benefits.

As to the actual, it seems pretty true. AAA had a recent test of Top Tier gasolines versus non Top Tier gasolines. Their detailed report came out this summer, so the results are current.

http://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/07/aaa-not-gasoline-created-equal/

Top Tier detergent requirements are clearly good enough and cheaper than buying Techron additive. If your valves are all carboned up though, Top Tier gas can reduce some but it takes a long time, so to get clean you might need a lot of overdosing with PEA additive. That's why it is good to start new cars out on Top Tier and stay there. Techron all-system isn't the one with the highest amount of PEA or best price performance ratio as determined in various auto enthusiast forums.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/07/aaa-study-finds-drastic-difference-in-quality-of-gasoline/

www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Fuel-Quality-Full-Report.pdf

As said by thetruthaboutcars, according to the AAA study, the non-Top Tier fuel caused carbon deposits that were 19 times higher than the deposits from the Top Tier fuel. They also saw better drivability and better fuel economy when the better fuel was used. Emissions were also reduced, likely due to the ban of metallic additives in Top Tier fuel. The 1995 EPA fuel standard minimum requirements were designed to meet emissions targets but didn’t account for modern engine longevity.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers/

Sam's Club gas is minimum quality.
>>
>>15661288
Nice post. But it's good to mention that it's not just Costco, about 1/3rd of the gas stations in the US use top tier.

Unfortunately for me, everything around here is Marathon and Speedway. Which both suck ass.

Thankfully there's one BP in the town.
>>
>>15660820
>Because there is no difference

wrong
>>
Usually Shell, 76, or Chevron for me.
>>
Aloha Petroleum
Amoco
ARCO
Beacon
BP
Break Time
Cenex
Chevron
CITGO
Conoco
Co-op
Costco
CountryMark
CountryMark Plus
Diamond Shamrock
Entec
Esso
Express
Exxon
Holiday
Kwik Star Stores
Kwik Trip
Mahalo
MFA
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Petro-Canada
Phillips 66
PUMA
QT
Quik Trip
Road Ranger
Shamrock
Shell
Shell (Puerto Rico)
Shell V-Power
Shell V-Power NiTRO+
Sinclair
Standard
SuperAmerica
SuperFuels
Tempo
Texaco
Tri-Par
Valero
>>
>>15660567
If you want walmart and Sam's Club gas to meet Top Tier standards, then write on their suggestion forms that they get Top Tier gas for their customers as well. If they don't get customer pressure to change, they won't.

Walmart and Sam's Club makes more profit from selling gas with minimum required additives. Unfortunately, selling better gas would decrease walmart's sales of all those additive products, so they sort of like having gas with minimum quality. Selling minimum quality gas helps them sell more automotive gas additive products in the end.
>>
>>15660798
Seriously. Where does one even find the shittier stuff?
>>
>>15660647
haha, good one anon.
You are joking right?
>>
>>15662106
Any gas station chain not named on that list, or a locally owned gas station that just gets gas from wherever they fucking can that is the cheapest
>>
File: 1469916851206.png (209KB, 258x298px) Image search: [Google]
1469916851206.png
209KB, 258x298px
>>15661288
>piston heads have upper surfaces
>>
>>15662141
yes?
>>
>>15661288
That dyno cell looks fucking awful.
I would slap my technician if he kept the cell in that condition.

If the company can't keep its test facility clean then why would you trust their results? Any good engine test facility thats iso9001 (or equivalent) rated requires a minimum level of cleanliness in scientific research areas.

If they can't even wipe the oily finger prints off their test rig then what chance is there of their test kit being verified and calibrated correctly?
Close to fuck all I'd say.
>>
>>15662153
I don't see your point.
Explain yourself
>>
File: tinfoil-hat-2.jpg (61KB, 550x323px) Image search: [Google]
tinfoil-hat-2.jpg
61KB, 550x323px
>>15662129
>
>>
>>15662106
>Seriously. Where does one even find the shittier stuff?
Wal-mart gas stations under various brands.
Sam's Club gas (owned by walmart).
Convenience store gas.
Fleets.
Various farms have their own gas pumps.
The great majority of gas sold is not top tier.

If you look at the business my local Sam's Club gets with its many pumps always full of cars, it dwarfs the business all the chevrons, shells, texaco, and phllips 76 stations in my whole area put together. Because it only uses cards, the transactions are also faster than the regular service stations that use cash transactions in order to obtain the listed price. Use of cards at those name brand stations comes with a surcharge.

>>15662141
If piston heads didn't have upper surfaces, then carbon deposits wouldn't occur on them. Same with valves. So those people who have gas engines that don't use valves or pistons wouldn't benefit so much from Top Tier gasoline. That is what that poster meant.
>>
>>15661044
It's in New Zealand as well but you only find it at Pak 'N Save, which is sells everything in bulk.
>>
File: Muh_engine.jpg (60KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Muh_engine.jpg
60KB, 800x450px
>>15660567
> use petrol to clean parts before I reassemble them
> hurr durr only high octane fuel can clean engine parts
Nigga what?

I also had to explain what a fuel filter is to the women i work with cause the TV advertisement said you'll get dirt in your engine from low octane fuel, so you must buy lel good stuff for 35c/liter more ($6/gallon for amerifats)

Any company that preys on ignorant peoples fears sounds like bullshit to me
>>
>>15660818
Show me a side by side analysis and not a valve that could look like shit for a plethora of reasons. Poor air filtration, contaminated gas, poor combustion, valve isn't seating properly and the list goes on. You are on the defensive so you look weak.
>>
File: tfagu.jpe.jpg (3KB, 187x226px) Image search: [Google]
tfagu.jpe.jpg
3KB, 187x226px
>>15662211
Oh I checked 'em
>>
>>15661288
>>15662211
It's amazing how much hate the butthurt people have for being wrong. They demand proof expecting none exists so they are smug. Then when the current proof hits them in the face, they continue objecting.

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/

They cling like bigots to their errors and deny test results and common sense logic.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/07/aaa-study-finds-drastic-difference-in-quality-of-gasoline/
>>
I only use Chevron Supreme in my personal vehicle since I've had high performance engines ~2012.

-Not a poorfag
>>
File: 43256576.png (335KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
43256576.png
335KB, 800x450px
>>15662198
You fucking idiot, what do you think the engine is doing to the petrol? It burns it. What do you think happens to burned fuel? It forms carbon

You fucking faggots need to take chemistry. It's like saying
"LOL I always use charcoal to light my grill. Why can't I use diamonds???"
>>
>>15662211
provide actual proof for all of this or fuck off to >>>/x/
>implying they actually put any of that shit in the gas
>implying that all those companies is listed aren't some part of a price fixing scheme
>implying it isn't the same old corporate trickery that's been going on for years
>>
>>15662227
>They demand proof expecting none exists so they are smug.
Yeah except all those tens of thousands cars that have done tens of thousands of miles exclusively on cheap supermarket fuel with no fuel systems issues.

Do what you want, and I'll do what I want
>>
>>15662198
Top Tier is a standard, not the highest available octane
>>
>>15662227
Those are both articles about a study. They don't explicitly say that the gasolines are the same octane or if the nontop-tier gasoline has an epa approved additive package. I want some peer reviewed studies. You know actual scientific papers not this shit-tier article written for casuals.
>>
Maybe if I had a new car, and I was intending on keeping it for a quarter or a million miles, but my car has 150k. I'm not concerned with this bullshit. I'll follow the owner's manual, and leave it at that.

91 octane at a gas station I wont be mugged at, works for me.
>>
>>15662274
>doesn't even read study
>p-peer reviewed please!

Honestly armchair scientists like you would be better off doing the world a favor and killing yourselves, go back to r.eddit
>>
>>15662277
I'm at 160 on whatever I bought. It's a scam.
>>
File: 1470773705598.jpg (113KB, 508x336px) Image search: [Google]
1470773705598.jpg
113KB, 508x336px
>>15662235
Nigga you think your magical fuel burns so cleanly it leaves no trace behind? How are you still alive being this retarded?
>>
>>15662246
This is a different person. I'm just looking for some peer studies.
>>
>>15662294
He obviously doesn't. He even said as much.
U R retard.
>>
>>15662302
>I'm just looking for some peer studies.
this is the saddest thing i've ever read on /o/.
get a social life m9
>>
>>15662311
Did you read the rest of the thread?
Some cunt is getting upset because no one else buys expensive petrol.
>>
>>15662288
I'm sorry, but where was the link to the actual paper written about the study? Are you going to keep insulting me or cough up some real proof? Do you even know what a properly written paper looks like? Here's a link to the basic format if you need help.
http://writing.colostate.edu/guides/guide.cfm?guideid=83
>>
>>15660647
Australia also has supermarket pumps, but they're that bad. Pretty standard these days.
>>
>>15662302
>>15662329
Losers like this are all the same, they're professional goal post movers

They always slide the scale like so

>bullshit, prove it with an article
>o-okay well that's bullshit! that's just an article not a study! i want a study!!
>o-okay it's a study....well it's not good enough! I want a peer reviewed study
>s-shit it's peer reviewed? not good enough, I want more studies!!
>more studies? well too bad! those sources are unreliable! looks like I win lol

please just kys
>>
>>15662334
cool story bro
>>
>>15662334
Oh man. Why are you so mad that you can't find anything but these articles that refer to the same study that doesn't have a published paper to accompany it? This is standard scientific process buddy.
>>
>>15662347
>>15662350
kys
>>
File: 1468856716272.png (254KB, 472x410px) Image search: [Google]
1468856716272.png
254KB, 472x410px
>>15662351
>>
File: 1468100098454.jpg (105KB, 560x451px) Image search: [Google]
1468100098454.jpg
105KB, 560x451px
>>15662351
Anger is a true sign of weakness in a debate. If you had a solid counter you might actually be convincing.
>>
>>15661381
>live in a neighborhood w/ a costco 5 mins away
I drive in sport mode erryday
>>
>>15662383
>gets a study
>says it's not good enough
>does all of the faggotry outlined in >>15662334

You are the adult equivalent of a 5 year old who says "prove it" even when you've been given actual proof, you aren't putting forth anything constructive or contributing to any sort of discussion you're just being an ignoramus

There is a reason that gas has detergents in it
>>
>>15662403
Like I explained before that isn't a study. I even sent you a link to review so you could understand what a scientific paper looks like. It's an article about a study that leaves out many important details of said study. I'm not casual enough to be convinced by a picture of a dynamometer and dirty valves.
>>
File: unsecured_load.jpg (29KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
unsecured_load.jpg
29KB, 620x349px
>>15661288 >>15661348 >>15661381 >>15662227

I will be switching to Top Tier gas, but I have been using the cheap minimum quality gas for a long time. So I wanted to try to reduce the deposits a little bit faster by adding more Polyether Amine (PEA) detergent additive to the Top Tier fuel.

Which additives have the most PEA in them. I wanted the most bang for my buck when buying the additives. Someone said that the complete fuel system Techron doesn't have the most PEA of the additive bottles out there. I know techron also has a fuel injector cleaner and that is not the one to use for PEA.

>>15662450
You keep moving the goal posts further and further out. Now you disqualify any study that doesn't even have the physical publishing text format you require.

Since the study results have been given, and there is widespread acceptance by various automotive publications, by consumer reports, by costco which did its own studies, and of course by the AAA itself, it is reasonable to accept the results.

Therefore, the people in this thread who deny it have the burden of proof placed upon them to prove that the results are false. They need to prove that PEA doesn't reduce carbon deposits. They also need to prove that 3 to 4 times the minimum required PEA doesn't reduce deposits by 19 times. There are also a number of other results they need to prove before these /o/ trolls can have any credibility.
>>
>>15662880
If you tried to cite that in an academic paper you would be laughed out of the room. If there is no paper written on the study its like it didn't happen. There is no transparency in either article. Why don't they want to share the scientific paper that had to be written on this study. The burden of proof is on you because you are citing two articles written about the same study and neither of them cites anything about the study from any other source. Do you know anything about scientific method? What you have presented is not proof that top-tier is any better than any other epa approved blend. There is no need for people to go out of their way to buy this gas.
>>
PEA is an excellent fuel system and engine detergent. The best that I am aware of.
Buy a can of Protec and see for yourself.
>>
File: HzTv5KS.jpg (140KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
HzTv5KS.jpg
140KB, 640x640px
>valves

full kek
>>
QT has the cheapest gas around and it's Top Tier. No reason not to go there
>>
File: Theft_Honda.png (18KB, 918x841px) Image search: [Google]
Theft_Honda.png
18KB, 918x841px
>>15662880
>Which additives have the most PEA in them.

3M published the contents listing of its PEA product "3M Max Strength Fuel System Cleaner" for use by medical professionals who might have to treat people exposed to harmful amounts of these petrochemical products.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xMxmZO8teNv70k17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--

George Bush junior modified the business laws to allow more vague specifications. The older data releases were much more specific even down to the percentage. However, businesses must have lobbied for more trade secret protections so the PEA content is specified as ranging from 30% to 60%. Obviously, it cannot be 60% because even the minimum levels of other components would force a lower number. Thus, the business law changes must now allow some deceptive numbers to be published.

Techron fuel system cleaner should be at 32% PEA content.

Other fuel system cleaner products containing large amounts of PEA detergent are:
Amsoil Performance Improver
BG Products 44K
Gumout Regane
Redline SI-1

There are probably others. But my local NAPA store doesn't have them on the shelf. There's 2 other amine types of gasoline detergents, but PEA is the best known one since it is the most effective.

Picture: as asserted by trolls the crime data from the FBI may be wrong because it was not published in scientific format in formal academic papers.

Someone was robbed and killed last year in my city as reported in the newspaper. But the troll asserts this is false because it was not reported in scientific format in an academic paper.
>>
>>15660820
Yeah. Just like ISO 9000 is an old boys' club.
>>
>>15663997
Who's to say it isn't?
>>
>tfw the only 91 octane that will get you an advance multiplier of 1 is the sketch EZ Mart.
"""Top tier""" they said
>>
>>15660800
but shell v power smells the best
>>
>>15662450
The article is in the study. Why do you want to be spoonfed so badly?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/associationcommunicationfiles/PDF/Fuel-Quality-Full-Report-FINAL-1.pdf
>>
>>15664977
Study is in the article*
Either way read it for yourself
>>
>>15661162
1.3* anon
>>
File: 1.jpg (25KB, 482x424px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
25KB, 482x424px
>>15660820
>burning shit doesn't leave residue
>>
>>15666156
All gas leaves residue you fag, top tier snake oil won't help it.
>>
A redline a day keeps the carbon buildup away.
>>
>>15666219
If it has a lot of detergent it will. Or are you one of these conspiracy faggots who think its all marketing ploys to make more money on a product they all charge the same for?
>>
>>15660567
>tfw poppet valve
>>
>>15662235
Water is formed too. Pretty basic chemical reaction, honestly.
>>
>>15661381

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Oil_LP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumberland_Farms

Learn more about where your gas comes from.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-21-09-54-50.png (457KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-21-09-54-50.png
457KB, 1080x1920px
>>15664977
This is interesting, piston top deposits are essentially unchanged and cylinder head deposits are higher for top-tier. Very suspicious for a supposedly cleaner fuel. I smell bullshit.
>>
Is it okay to run premium in an engine that suggests regular unleaded(f150 5.0 V8 no ecoboost)
>>
>>15666879
>Is it okay to run premium in an engine

Relative to your situation, except for octane level differences (often accomplished via ethanol), switching from minimum quality gasoline to Top Tier gasoline is sort of like getting premium already.

In my area, Sam's Club prices their gas one cent lower than BP just to say it is the lowest priced gas. But the BP is Top Tier while Sam's is minimal legal tier.
>>
All fuel for every gas station comes from the same loading rack, which comes from a pipeline.
All gas stations get the exact same gas, the only difference is the additives they add when filling the truck up.
Sometimes the system that adds the additives breaks and you have to manually add x amount of bottles of techron to the truckload of gas via the top hatch.
One time a driver dropped his phone out of his shirt pocket when adding the additive, shit was p kek.
I got a bottle of pure techron additive this way once too, dumped that bitch in my car, had to be the most concentrated tank of techron gas to ever exist.
>>
>>15660567
I just get the cheapest gas, usually from costco
>>
>>15660567
>putting detergent in his gas
>>
>>15660567
so should i pour clorox in my gas tank or tidus?
>>
>>15668005
Yep, Gain cleaned my shit right up, I fully recommend you try it
>>
>he's Canadian and uses anything other than 94 Ultra
>>
>>15660567
>do you fill up with top tier gas anon

A lot of people probably don't even know what Top Tier gasoline is about. Top Tier Detergent Gasoline is a performance specification designed and supported by several major automakers — BMW, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi. These car manufacturers were concerned that the EPA's minimum quality requirement for gasoline was too low. Top Tier is NOT a gasoline standard created by gas companies to sell more gas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tier_Detergent_Gasoline

The EPA specifies that the collective name for additives used to inhibit or reduce combustion deposits is "detergent". It is not related to laundry detergent.

The other advantages of Top Tier gasoline is that there are limits or requirements on other substances such as sulfur, ethanol, olefins, and elimination of metallic type additives in order to have longer catalytic converter life.
>>
>>15660647
All the supermarkets in my area sell Mobil which is on that top tier list.
>>
>>15660567

I swear my car idles smoother, revs smoother and feels more responsive/powerful when I use 93 Octane BP and even more so with 93 Octane Shell.

Maybe I'm really just imagining shit but Speedway, Sheetz, Sunoco, GetGo Premium gas just does not seem the same. BP and Shell are the only 'top-tier' around where I live (Cleveland, OH) so they're my only options but Shell's 93 is fucking expensive as hell and BP's is less than Shell's but still more. Engine btw is a modern 300HP V6 w/ 93 Octane 'tune' (11:1 compression) with all of the variable valve witchcraft on a new engine.

For reference, shit-tier 93 Gas (Speedway, Sheetz) is usually $2.60/gal whereas BP will be $2.85/gal and Shell is $3.00/gal.

BP is 30-40 cents more for 93 and Shell is 50-60 cents more for 93. I usually get Speedway, Sheetz or GetGo but do use BP about 1/5 of the time for those 'top-tier' additives. I also regularly use Seafoam/B12 Chemtool/Chevron system cleaner, etc.
>>
>>15671528
>BP is 30-40 cents more for 93
Remember that you don't need to buy the premium to have Top Tier additives. The top tier accrediting program requires that the additives be at the required level for all grades of gas. If they only make premium be the good one, then they are not accredited.

As to cost, BP 87 is the "regular" gas here and is $2.26 per gallon as of yesterday. Sam's Club almost next door is $2.25 just to undercut BP. Chevron is one block away at $2.54 for regular and they still get business due to location at the mall.
>>
>>15660567
Only Shell V-Power Nitro+ is sold in here which is on that list. Mostly I buy 98E5 fuel and once in a year use injector/fuel system cleaner.
>>
I don't have an EGR and I don't run rich so it makes no fucking difference to me a patrician.
>>
>>15672459
>Sam's club only undercuts BP by a penny
What's the point then? Near me (in Brookfield, CT) the BJs and Costcos are typically at least 10 cents cheaper on regular and usually somewhere closer to 25 cents cheaper on 93 octane AKI (99 RON). BJs isn't top tier, Costco is (but they're the same price).
>>
>>15673121
People don't really care or know about Top Tier except for those auto enthusiasts and hardcore people who like clean engines. Most customers buy gas at the most convenient place or the one that is cheapest.
>>
>>15674962
Yeah but warehouse clubs often have crazy lines for gas pumps. A cent per gallon is shit, I'd rather go down the street and pay seven to fourteen cents extra per fill (drive a sedan, almost empty is about 14 gallons, 14 gallons * 1 penny = 14 cents) and not have to deal with the fucking madhouse at the club.

In New Jersey full serve is mandated which slows down pumping even more and creates crazy lines at Costco gas. Even for the ten to fifteen cents per gallon I can't be bothered to wait.

As far as top tier goes - a lot of people aren't aware, but Costco et al are doing marketing. Costco pointed out their study in the Costco Connection (member magazine) recently, and I know people who stopped getting gas at BJs (generally a little quieter) over it.
>>
>>15674973
>A cent per gallon is shit,
But it's marketing psychology that works. Lots of people will choose a lower-priced place especially since Sam's is the diagonal corner from that BP station. That's probably why Sam's keeps on thumbing its nose at BP by setting prices 1 penny lower.
>>
>>15675886
Now that the AAA study has been released, more people will feel confidence that Top Tier is not some fake marketing scheme by the oil companies. Since consumer reports and car & driver endorses the AAA report on Top Tier, that is additional credibility.

It's bad enough that the common consumer, like myself, thought Top Tier was an oil company scheme. But not that more info is out, it was never an oil company marketing thing. It was by the car manufacturers that wanted something more than the bottom of the barrel quality standards for gas. If anything, it was the oil companies that wanted the EPA to require the least quality out of the oil companies.
>>
do they have a similar chart for diesel?
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 218x232px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 218x232px
>>15671528
Sheetz? Really?
>>
>>15677211
>do they have a similar chart for diesel?
Never head of a Top Tier Diesel fuel standard. I guess it's up to the various truck companies to decide if they want to try creating a minimum fuel standard or not. However, truck companies don't purchase and retain trucks like common consumers do with passenger vehicles.
>>
My S80 T6 gets miles 98, my Thunderbird 4.6l gets miles 95.
>>
>>15660567

Me and my dad have noticed cars running like shit running QTs gas. I try to buy chevron nowadays.
>>
>>15677253
Sheetz has godly gas station food anon
>>
>>15677253
How is Sheetz niggerish?
>>
>>15667351

In addition to the additives it's just simply how fresh the gas is.
>>
File: tumblr_m6rwdfjUpQ1rrk1bvo1_1280.png (563KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m6rwdfjUpQ1rrk1bvo1_1280.png
563KB, 600x600px
>>15679548
>How fresh the gas is
>implying that shiet has an expiration date
>>
>>15679551

>.> stabilizers?
>>
File: 1464012266869.jpg (21KB, 375x333px) Image search: [Google]
1464012266869.jpg
21KB, 375x333px
>>15679559
>>
>>15679551
If it has ethanol it sure as shit expires.
>>
>>15679563
Who sells non blended gas anymore? I sure as shit would like to know
>>
File: 1471961742434.jpg (1MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
1471961742434.jpg
1MB, 3264x1840px
>this whole thread
>mfw all gas is the same fucking price from like 3 refiners
Good goyim.
>>
File: LvGoCK6.jpg (949KB, 2731x2048px) Image search: [Google]
LvGoCK6.jpg
949KB, 2731x2048px
>>15660567

>>there are people in this thread that use premium fuel for meme reasons rather than having a godmusheen that requires it for the octane rating alone.
>>
>>15679567
there's websites out there that can point you towards eth free shit. I'm blanking on them at the moment.
Its essential if you have a fun car that you keep indoors for the winter to have the tank full of non eth gas... otherwise its not gonna be pretty in the spring.
>>
>>15679522
The station could have water in their gas. Or a bad batch of gas was delivered to them.
>>
>>15679671
Back in high school my friends used to work at a franchised Exxon station w/Tiger Mart and they told me the owner would add water to the gas
>>
>>15679671

I guess. It's steered me away. It was the only gas in my 24 year old life to ever give me problems. Then one time my dad got gas while I was with him and he ranted to me about it too. I still get it from time to time. I buy beer there on my way home from my parents when I drive out there so sometimes I fill the last half up with it. No problems since but after both us experiencing issues I'll steer clear.
>>
>>15679700
>they told me the owner would add water to the gas

So it is possible that a Top Tier gas station doesn't meet the required standards if the station franchise owner chooses to abandon standards to seek more Personal Profit. Top Tier works only if the franchised station owner doesn't cheat.
>>
>>15680176
So then what's the guarantee that the majority of franchisees actually follow the rules? Pretty fucking low is what I'd wager
>>
I only buy the top tier shit when it's within 15 cents of my usual HEB store gas. According to the papers on the pump they have some additives and some injector cleaner shit I never get. Premium btw
>>
>>15660816
homebrew sure, but if its up to specs it is should be better.
>>
>drankan marketing coolaids
>>
>>15680602
>So then what's the guarantee that the majority of franchisees actually follow the rules? Pretty fucking low is what I'd wager
If you're a loyal member of the Republican Party, you'd say 100% because of capitalism ensuring the public gets better goods at good prices. Provided that we have deregulation (fewer consumer quality rules for the sellers and producers to obey).
>>
>>15680903
Except that bullshit
I'm a conservative and know that's 100% fallacy because human nature is the reason why capitalism is imperfect
>>
>>15660567
Yes. Right now I'm using Petro Canada 94, but Shell 91 is good as well. I've had bad experiences with cheaper gas stations in the past (worse fuel economy, lower performance, smell from the cat, etc.)
>>
>>15679567
http://www.pure-gas.org/
Invaluable resource if you have things with small engines or engines that aren't used all the time.
>>
>>15680176
>>15680602
Cities go around randomly auditing pumps (or responding to complaints with inspections) with strict fines if the station is caught.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-watered-gas-0101-biz-20151231-story.html

Also, certain brands care more than others about randomly policing themselves for quality.
>>
>>15679700
This makes no sense. Water and petroleum products will not even mix. If this were true you would either have a solid stream of water or a solid stream of gasoline pumping out of the nozzle. Water has a tendency to settle at the bottom of a carburetor bowl for this very reason.
>>
>>15660567

If you drive a car with a direct injection engine it doesn't matter because the fuel doesn't pass over the back of the valve anyway. If you don't drive a car with direct injection then you're a pleb so it who cares what sort of fuel you get. You're still a pleb.
>>
>>15662183
>pak n save sells everything in bulk
Fuck off, it's a regular supermarket that's targeted at price sensitive shoppers, which sometimes does deals on bulk items (as other chains do btw, as in countdowns get 20% off when you buy 5 or more bottles of wine). It's not exclusively a "bulk only" store, Gilmore's would be the closest we have to that.
>>
File: 14407458439751.jpg (61KB, 657x435px) Image search: [Google]
14407458439751.jpg
61KB, 657x435px
I keep filling up my 4 cylinder carburettor with this
Will my engine last forever?
>>
>>15681761
>Water and petroleum products will not even mix

Water and ethanol mixes though. A lot of oxygenated gas has 10% ethanol, so the ethanol will drag in quite a bit of water into your car's gas tank.
>>
>>15683114
The station in question was adding water to the tanks before E10 was enforced
Thread posts: 148
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.