[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Craigslist Car Buying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: evo vs s2k.jpg (66KB, 736x484px) Image search: [Google]
evo vs s2k.jpg
66KB, 736x484px
Is buying a car on craigslist as bad as people make it out to be?

Any recommendations on how to go about it?
Should I just go to Carmax?
>>
>>15660441
It's great if you know what you're doing and can sniff out nogs.
>>
>>15660441
You'll get raped worse at carmax.

Thier "no haggle" pricing is typically 2 to 5grand more that what you should pay.
>>
>>15660441
It's a pain, but the solution to most troubles is taking the car in for prepurchase inspection at a shop you trust. You could do 20+ PPIs for how much money you would lose buying from carmax.
>>
File: Spice E.jpg (65KB, 500x358px) Image search: [Google]
Spice E.jpg
65KB, 500x358px
What are the chances of getting jumped at a deal?
>>
>>15660441
I got my Miata on craigslist, no ragrets
Everything checked out and I got a sweet deal, only lie he told was "I don't smoke", like a year later when I was stripping the car I found a cig under the carpeting.
>>
Depends on which area you're looking in. My area is full of wetbacks, so finding a decent vehicle at a reasonable price is like looking for diamonds, you really got to shift through shit before you get to the good stuff.

Some tips...

- do your research on a vehicle before considering
- take a look at the ad carefully. Make sure that they provide enough information on the vehicle before leaving to look at it.
- if they didn't take a picture of one angle of the vehicle, it is likely busted and wrecked
- ask for vin, service record, etc.
- if they refuse to provide that information over the phone, don't bother with it
- look over a vehicle fully before presenting any cash
- check for leaks, check the fluids, check the functionality of all the engine peripherals
- check the suspension
- if the engine is warm when you arrived to look at it, chances are they ran it for a bit to hide any cold-start issues such as leaking valve seals
-Let the vehicle run for a few minutes to ensure that no leaks spring
- listen for unusual noises such as tapping or vacuum leaks
- monitor the idle for a few minutes and rev the engine for a bit to check the idle
- after everything is warm, take it for a ride
- crank the steering wheel left and right to check the steering and idle
- noises and shuddering from the engine is a bad sign
- get the vehicle up to highway speed and do a few pulls for about fifteen minutes
- note any power loss or shuddering that occurs
- find a hill and start from the bottom of it to check for compression issues
- if nothing shuddered, stalled, or made a lot of noise, then it's fine
- make sure to hard brake plenty as well
- always haggle if you can

And most importantly, never let a seller pressure you or try to convince you.
>>
>>15661247
Thanks a ton for the information.
I've screencapped it
>>
>>15660441
Have it checked by a mechanic you trust, have extra funds for unexpected problems. It's all buyer beware on craigslist.

>friends Volvo had a warning light
>take the dash off and pull the lightbulb
>he sells it the next week to a guy who didn't even test drive it.
>>
>>15661140
How black is your city?
>>
>>15661317
I live in NYC. I'll likely be buying from Connecticut or Long Island - Jersey if there's no luck there.
>>
Buying on CL can be a good deal, I'm currently selling a car $1200 below KBB value (but still a few thousand more than I would get on a trade in). The buyers I've got lined up are retarded and were more concerned with checking the trunk than the engine compartment, which they never looked at. Luckily for them it is in good condition and has no mechanical issues.
>>
>>15661312
Your friend is a dishonest piece of shit. That's not buyer beware. That's literally nigger tier
>>
>>15661939
so it is buyer beware then?
>>
Bought my dream car on craigslist.

Paid Only $500 more dollars than I wanted to.

Had it going on three years now with 0 issues, besides a torn axle boot. Took me awhile to fix, as putting it back together was a lot harder thank taking it apart, but not that bad.
>>
>>15661247
I doubt any seller will let you do this to their car
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.