[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/, live in the rust belt and salt season will be upon us

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: jeep-cherokee-2000-11.jpg (79KB, 800x539px) Image search: [Google]
jeep-cherokee-2000-11.jpg
79KB, 800x539px
Hey /o/, live in the rust belt and salt season will be upon us sooner than you think.

I need a good winter driver that can brave 30 miles of shit roads to get to work each morning. I'm thinking something with 4x4 drive train. What does /o/ recommend? I'd like to only spend around $5000.

I was thinking pic related.
>>
You don't need a 4X4 in the rust belt you loser
>>
File: 001.jpg (4MB, 3000x1995px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
4MB, 3000x1995px
>>15633259
just make sure the heater actually works on the one you're looking at because the heater cores go bad on these pretty often, a quick flush will usually bring heat back though

love the xj in the winter, mine always starts in one crank and happily skids to wherever I need to be
>>
File: Maxima.jpg (1MB, 2160x1216px) Image search: [Google]
Maxima.jpg
1MB, 2160x1216px
>>15633259

Any 3000lb ish+ fwd sedan with a set of snow tires will do ya good. Older Subaru with the non-headgasket munching 2.2L. Maybe an older A4 with good maintenance history and the 2.8L V6.

It being the rust belt, inspect any used car you buy with a fine toothed comb for rust, on things like brake and fuel lines too.

XJs are bouncy and not so stable at higher speeds. Something as simple as an expansion joint on a slick road can upset an XJ, especially if it has tired suspension and/or shit tires. They're also getting to be meme-status overpriced at this point, people asking way too much for rusted out hulks.

If you really want an SUV on a budget, I'd almost be tempted to direct you to something like an older jellybean Explorer. Get the V8 AWD variant, they have sturdier transmissions and no timing chain tensioner issues.

Pic related is my beater I picked up for $1600, made the mistake of not inspecting close enough upon purchase, my lower radiator support is swiss cheese.
>>
>>15633295
>he doesn't know what lake effect snow is
>>
>>15633346
The roads are plowed faggot. You're not going over snow drifts. Shut up and buy a civic and get snow tires.
>>
>>15633336
I was also thinking of a CRV or RAV4.
>>
File: 4RunnerSnow.jpg (177KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
4RunnerSnow.jpg
177KB, 2048x1536px
>>15633360

Good options for sure. SUV guys will trash them for not having 'real' 4wd systems, but with a set of snow tires, one of these older cute utes will be a better winter vehicle overall in ease of driving than something with solid axles and lots of suspension travel. I say this as a an old 4Runner owner (seen here prior to snow tires)
>>
>>15633351
this

i live in cold snowy canada and my winter beater is an 07 yaris with snow tires
>>
>>15633351
>snow storm
>all roads plowed all the time

you know how I know you'v never lived in a place with snow?
>>
File: XJ_Cherokee_Drift.gif (1MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
XJ_Cherokee_Drift.gif
1MB, 320x180px
>>15633351
>>15633428
multi foot deep snow drifts build up on roads as well when it's windy
>>
>>15633386
I worry with an SUV that large that tipping could be an issue if some idiot hits me.
>>
>>15633450
And then it gets plowed so it's no longer an issue.

>>15633428
The big ones are.
>>
>>15633259
4x4 will not help you in the snow unless you do a lot of stop and start traffic. I live in the Adirondack region of NY I think I know what I am talking about. >>15633295 is definitely right, get snow tires if you really want or just roll on all seasons. Best winter cars in the world are the old Corollas with the stupidly skinny tires, just plant your foot and the dig through the snow and the snow won't really come for another three months but this year has been so hot I wouldn't doubt that the first big snow won't be until late December.

Buy a jeep if you want to die.
>>
>>15633485

Got a 6MT 4WD Liberty

Didn't die in the snow
>No ABS
>No TCS
>No TPMS
>>
>>15633307
Chewbacca in the backseat?
>>
>>15633346
>XJs are bouncy and not so stable at higher speeds. Something as simple as an expansion joint on a slick road can upset an XJ, especially if it has tired suspension and/or shit tires
They are only bouncy if the struts and shocks are worn. Mine was pretty tight, but I did buy it newand maintain it.
>>
>>15633259
I dailied a 2000 kia Rio for 4 straight years in the yukon. (North as fuck Canada)

Anything with snow tires, good lights and proper maintenance can handle it. I put a skid plate on it to stop salt from getting into the undercairage too easily

If it consistently goes below freezing get an engine block heater and plug it in nightly, saves your car a lot of wear and tear
>>
File: Xsa1E14.png (326KB, 393x399px) Image search: [Google]
Xsa1E14.png
326KB, 393x399px
>>15633351

>implying snow gets plowed on an even semi-reasonable schedule in the hodunk tiny town I live in in bumfuck nowhere
>>
>>15633346
Growing up in TC I never had a problem getting around.

Moved to Chatham and then snow became an issue.

Anywhere in the lower part of the state and a fwd shitbox on all seasons will do just fine if you don't put yourself in a bad position. Snow tires if you live on back roads are a necessity as the snowplows do more harm than good when they initially plow the main roads.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.