[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hub Assembly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

So my lugnuts came off my tire, damaging the hub assembly (the bolts are busted off), and the caliper is dangling because the mounting bracket is damaged.

How hard is it to change the hub assembly on a 98 Dodge Grand Caravan?
>>
If you have to ask it'll probably be very fucking hard for you.
>>
>>15632193
this
suspension is easy as shit on most cars
if you cant do simple suspension work or change a knuckle you need to pick up a haynes manual and start studying
brakes can be a bit of a pain by yourself, tho
>>
Hub assemblies are easy OP.

Front or rear? Pictures?
>>
File: Vu93BIqss.jpg (38KB, 291x273px) Image search: [Google]
Vu93BIqss.jpg
38KB, 291x273px
>>15632193
>>15632207
>>15632293
>asks for help with cars on car "forum"
>literally the pinnacle gateway for this gentleman into automotive gateway
>4chins call him dumb
im sorry op. 4chan isnt a place for actually knowledge, just a place to make fun of people

it should just be a hub assembly. go on rockauto and look it up get a new one

watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocDz8x5A5cQ

you WILL need a breaker bar for that axle nut
>>
File: 0253-36C.jpg (42KB, 800x361px) Image search: [Google]
0253-36C.jpg
42KB, 800x361px
>>15632450
>not taking off the axle nut with one of these bad boys
>>
>>15632450
Calipers attach to the knuckle. It sounds like more than just the hub is broken.

Replacing the knuckle is an easy job if you can source one.

Whether or not you can get everything apart without damaging the boots.. That's another story.
>>
>>15632180

just get an entire spindle assembly from a junkyard for like $30
>>
>>15632474
OP here

Yea, I did some more inspecting, the knuckle is damaged beyond repair. I can't afford to fix the knuckle and hub assembly since I am out of work at the moment.
>>
>>15632450
I generally do my own work on my car, I've just never done a hub assembly before.
>>
>>15632512
Pick n pull should get you a knuckle, hub, and caliper for $20-100 depending on the owner.

>Remove wheel center cap and break the axle nut free
>Jack up the vehicle and support it on jack stands
>Remove wheel
>Remove axle nut
>Remove brake line from caliper & disconnect ABS wire from plug if necessary
>Remove outer tie rod end
>Remove upper & lower ball joints

There might be more to it but that should be about everything.
>>
File: wBe4W.png (246KB, 478x354px) Image search: [Google]
wBe4W.png
246KB, 478x354px
>>15632462
>>
>>15632581
You lost me at jack up the vehicle.

just kidding. Do I need to remove the brake line? Can't I set the caliper aside onto something? I HATE bleeding brakes.
>>
>>15632688

As long as the caliper wasn't damaged, just take some zip ties or a bungee cord use them to hang the caliper so there isnt any pressure on the brake line. Not sure why anon said to take the brake line off unless Dodge, in all their glory, made yet another easy job complicated.
>>
File: 20160312_091425.jpg (2MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
20160312_091425.jpg
2MB, 2988x5312px
>>15632688
yeah just unbolt the caliper from the steering knuckle and set it up on a bucket with the line still attached.

Youll probably need to get a torch on the caliper bolts because everything will probably be relatively stuck over all that time, just dont melt the god damn boot or break lines.
>>
>dodge grand caravan

Should invest in better condoms for a start.
>>
>>15632723
hey fuck you those things are bulletproof and cheap. plus you can take the seats out and haul mowers and furniture and all sorts of shit
>>
File: bf-12.jpg (17KB, 430x353px) Image search: [Google]
bf-12.jpg
17KB, 430x353px
>>15632718
Caliper bolts are busted, and the knuckle where the bolts screw into is busted and stripped.

Even then, the caliper bolts shouldn't be bad as I did the brakes a few months ago when it started warming up.
>>
>>15632688
From the pick n pull.

I take as much as old man Wayne will let me without charging me. He always gives me shit for it but he'll laugh and tell me to get rid of that POS Ford.
>If you bought a real truck you wouldn't be here all the time anon
>I'll let you slide this time because I know you'll need it here soon enough

Wayne is a good guy.
>>
>>15632883
I called around to a few scrap yards, cheapest I can find a knuckle that isn't stripped out is $150.

I checked with a few that are a few hours away, $100.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.