[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chevy LS motors.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1470499030772s.jpg (3KB, 125x95px) Image search: [Google]
1470499030772s.jpg
3KB, 125x95px
Hello guys, kind of a noob to the operation of vehicles, but I had a thought I wanted some opinions on.

As you all know, Chevy v8 motors run 2 valves, which limits the amount of air that can flow through. Would it be possible to engineer a head with a 4 valve set up? Maybe some kind of forked rocker arm to push both valves while still maintain the single pushrod? Would there be any performance benefit?
>>
>>15629111
The two valves are big as fuck. More valves lets slightly more air for the same size of head, but mostly lets you rev higher and faster.
>>
>>15629111
It would be a lot of engineering / cost and you'd be better off putting that into the intake and exhaust manifolds for better breathing
>>
>>15629111
Having a single pushrod and lifter open up two valves (i.e. compress two springs) would probably destroy the roller on the lifter and eat the camshaft. I think any performance benefit of additional airflow from a 4 valve like that would not be worth the extra valvetrain complexity and strain. Buy a coyote engine.
>>
>>15629123
Would the extra revs have much benefit?These motors seem to peak mid range anyway.
>>
File: IMG_20160813_141142.jpg (857KB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160813_141142.jpg
857KB, 3072x1728px
>>15629150
Pushrods can't rev as high because of the inertia of the pushrod. But the compactness allows for more displacement where their power comes from.
>>
>>15629111
It's called rocker bridges. Duramax, Cummins and Powerstrokes run them for 4v iirc.
>>
>>15629111
Get mercury marine 4v heads

Or just build a coyote master race
>>
File: SB4-Port_RM.jpg (4MB, 3260x2893px) Image search: [Google]
SB4-Port_RM.jpg
4MB, 3260x2893px
>>15629111
Mercury Marine is working on a 4 valve, hemi, DOHC conversion head for them. They call it the SB4
>>
>>15629540
nice
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VK_engine#VK56VD
>>
>>15629111
there are allot of 8 valve to 16 valve conversions out there
http://theoldmotor.com/?p=110870
some even re use a push rod block but with a dohc head run from the inblock cam drive
>>15629339
what about push rod flex ?
I recall something about rocker ratios meaning the more mild cam in use to limit flex is not a problem
>>
>>15629540
Like 99% of engines are "hemi" including an ls
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.