[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2011 Fiesta SE overheating/ boiling coolant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: reservoir.png (447KB, 356x544px) Image search: [Google]
reservoir.png
447KB, 356x544px
Yesterday, after parking it from a short drive, I noticed the radiator fan still running, and a hot coolant smell. Popped the hood and the coolant reservoir was bubbling, a little bit of steam coming off the rad. cap. The reservoir low in water/coolant. Drips on the ground directly underneath, but nowhere else under the car.

This morning, I check it again, cold. Reservoir a little lower. I fill it up with distilled water to the MAX line. I decided at 80k miles, a good time to change spark plugs & wires. Cheap and super easy to get to, took no time at all. With the water filled up and new spark plugs, I let it idle with AC on, with my infrared thermometer, I tried to see if I could measure a temperature differential between the inlet of the radiator and the exit. I was getting 86.3 - 86.7 degrees throughout the radiator, couldn't accurately measure the inlet/outlet pipes.

Drove around neighborhood, and parked, the reservoir rose up from the max line, to where it's at in this picture.

http://i.imgur.com/AFMZYoA.png

The top tube going in the tank was HOT, boiling water trickling in, and steam coming from cap. After shutting the engine off, a few minutes later the water level when back below the Minimum fill line. Where it was this morning.

>Has gotten warm about 6 months ago
>Water pump and cap changed about 6 months ago
No problems until yesterday
>>
>>15625647
Id lean faulty waterpump.
Even if its new, it can still be out of box failure
>>
Needs a flush you fucking pleb
>>
>>15625668
Thanks, I will try to see if I can tell if it can pump at all
>>
>>15625675
With the motor completely cold, take off the radiator cap/coolant reservoir cap and start it. Look inside the radiator/reservoir and see if you can see fluid moving. Have you consulted the dealer?
>>
>>15625647
>he doesn't monitor his coolant temp with a bluetooth obd2 adapter and torque pro
>>
>>15625675
Rfound this forum post about a 2011 Fiesta ST
Apparently the plastic radiator had an improperly machined tab inside, causing poor flow.
Need a new radiator most likely.
http://www.fiestast.org/forum/fiesta-st-maintenance/1923-car-overheated-twice-2-weeks.html
>>
Two likely possibilities

First is that the coolant does not have a sufficiently high boiling point due to poor mixture control. Second is that the cooling system cap is faulty and doesn't hold pressure on the system and allowing the coolant to boil earlier than designed.

Or both I suppose.
>>
Drove around the block again, got accurate radiator temperature readings, at the top, passenger side, went from 190 right after parking, after a bit of idling, went to 210, and I shut it off. The reservoir filled up almost to the top.

Bottom of radiator at both corners, 107 degrees.

I believe this means the water is not flowing. SO either stuck tstat, or water pump is not pumping. What tells the W.P. to come on/ off?
>>
Also thanks guys for the swift responses.
>>
>>15625818
take it to the dealer.
>>
Does the heater work?
>>
>>15625818
see >>15625717
>>
File: SHITBOX.png (66KB, 754x619px) Image search: [Google]
SHITBOX.png
66KB, 754x619px
funny, looking at the FiST forum and seeing the first page FILLED with all the problems MY car has, or has had.
>>
I have a '14 OP, does your temp gauge go up?

Check your serpentine belt for wear. They like to crack badly before failing and could be slipping over the water pump pulley.
>>
>>15628899
Has new belt. 11 don't have a temp gauge.
>>
>>15625647
I'll say it: head gasket.
>>
Made in Mexico
>>
File: wrencher.jpg (101KB, 640x635px) Image search: [Google]
wrencher.jpg
101KB, 640x635px
>>15629117
>I'll say it: head gasket.
Please stop with the meme of saying "head gasket" for every problem. It's an old meme and should be retired now. Find a new meme.
>>
>>15630918

Those are signs of a head gasket failure anon, sorry but that's what it sounds like to me too.
>>
See if there's any smoke from the exhaust when it overheats, and change the oil, see if it looks milky or off color in anyway.
If you notice either, head gasket m8
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.