[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bikes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1471137206719.jpg (227KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
1471137206719.jpg
227KB, 1024x680px
I live in Canada, and I already have a good car. But I've always loved the look and feel of sports bikes (/street bikes)

Buttt I've never driven one, and I only know some basics. Was hoping you guys could answer some questions?

In case any of you guys are generous enough to lend your wisdom here are my questions:
>Is it possible to get a bike with automatic gear shifting? Instead of manual with the clutch and all that?
>What companies are the best and the worst for bikes? I keep looking at Honda for some reason is that bad?
>Are bikes actually safe to drive in the rain/snow? I've heard answers for both sides some say yes some say fuck no.
>If I wanted to buy a bike cash only under 7k (new pref but not necessary) which should I get?
>and if I really wanted to be cheap, under 5k (new pref but not necessary maybe not possible?) which should I get?

P.S Never been on auto before, I hang around /b/ so don't hate me if I do something wrong here.
>>
>>15622101
>Is it possible to get a bike with automatic gear shifting? Instead of manual with the clutch and all that?
Yes, Honda offeres DCT bikes and I don't think they are cheap.

>What companies are the best and the worst for bikes? I keep looking at Honda for some reason is that bad?
I like Yamaha and Kawasaki. So these two.

>Are bikes actually safe to drive in the rain/snow? I've heard answers for both sides some say yes some say fuck no.
I'd advice you no. You can fall anytime and kill yourself.

>If I wanted to buy a bike cash only under 7k (new pref but not necessary) which should I get?
Since you asked the snow question, see the Versys series from the Kawasaki. They are great for the money.

>and if I really wanted to be cheap, under 5k (new pref but not necessary maybe not possible?) which should I get?
Ninja 300. But it isn't under 5k but just over it.

Be safe.
>>
>>15622132
Thanks for the replies!

But there was one question you did not answer. Are there any bike companies I should stay extremely far away from?

And one last question, what is seen as a decent amount of money to spend on a bike? I have money, the problem is I live in Canada and our winters are nasty I can't use this thing year round so I'd like to put most of my money toward my car, or other luxuries not to the bike. The bike is more of a for fun thing. Hence the 7~ish K limit. But what do people usually spend on a new bike if they want good quality without breaking the bank?
>>
File: bike.jpg (156KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
156KB, 1000x667px
>>15622145

Forgot to include this pic. For future reference this is the style I like to see in sports/street bikes. A sorta modern and sharp look rather than rounded or moped-looking
>>
>>15622228

Not sure why you went through your life story there.

Either way, the one major problem I have is the automatic vs manual.

Honestly, I would have bought the Honda bike I was looking at by now (as it has a nice body shape, good stats and seems to have good build quality for a low price 5k~) But I can't for the life of me find out if I can get an "automatic" option.

I've driven manual cars before, but I hate it. I'd much rather focus on actually driving then shifting gears non stop. So that's my main problem here, is I'm looking for bikes that have an automatic option when buying and I'm not sure how popular that is.
>>
>>15622268
Honda VFR 1200 has an auto as does the Aprilia Mana 850. Those are really the sportiest bikes available with an auto option and they aren't particularly fast by sport bike standards.
Auto is a rare thing with sport bikes.
>>
>>15622287
Yea I thought I saw the Honda CBR had one. But looking at the site now I don't see it anymore. I might just wana take a trip down to a Honda dealer and ask them myself?

I hate going to dealers though, I'm still young-ish and they often treat younger people like they're just looking and will sometimes just ask you to leave (Went through this buying my current car) thinking that you don't have the money to buy your own shit yet.

Also, as for the two bikes you mentioned neither really fit the "style" of bike I'm looking for. A lot of my choices for vehicles in the past have been mostly about looks. I like visually pleasing bikes/cars.

Anyway, from what I've seen online and from what you guys have said I think I might have to actually deal with manual which I hate. I just wana focus on the road not on my shift timings.
>>
>>15622323
You arent going to find an auto that you will like. Learn to shift. Its way more important to the handling characteristics of a kotorcycle than a car.
>>
>>15622331
>Kotorcycle

And idk, damn shifting has always been my least favorite thing about cars/bikes.

My current car is semi-auto and though I like using the manual side to get some extra power sometimes, I can never get the hang of shifting down. Always feels like I'm gonna break something.
>>
Get a used Kawasaki Ninja 250, 300, or 650. Or a used Suzuki SV650.

Do not buy a new bike as your first bike if money is tight, you WILL drop it within the first year.

Take a rider safety course. They're usually about $150, and take a weekend. They will teach you how to ride.

Make sure you get a good helmet, jacket, and gloves MINIMUM. If you can, get a pair of motorcycle boots and pants as well.

Do not buy an automatic bike. They ride like scooters, and they suck.
>>
>>15622101

I am in the same boat OP

>Albertan
>have a car with DCT
>looking for bikes with DCT

I have decided on the Honda NC 750X. Its a good bike and comes in DCT. Its more of an adventure bike so you might not look like a fuccboi on his sports bike
>>
>>15622370
Moneys not tight, but I also don't want to go crazy on something I only get to ride occasionally.

Rider safety course was already on my list of things to do. I'm not going to fuck up myself and my bike by being a retard and assuming I can just do it all without any training.

>I also live in the country so practice on the long open roads should be easy.

Already got some killer gloves, jacket+helmet is still on the list but the boots are going to be a problem I'm a pretty small person. I don't know if they make boots my size for this sorta thing, might just wana keep on my steel toed construction shoes I wear daily.

I guess you have a point about automatic bikes, but I would need a lot more confidence with a manual system before even debating buying a manual bike. I'm pretty sure the training courses offered around here give you a bike to use so they might be able to teach me.
>>
>>15622400
Yea see it looks like a good quality bike, but the visual style just isn't really what I like.

Again, all of the vehicles I've bought in the past were bought mostly on looks alone. My current car looks fantastic (to me) and runs extremely well despite no modifications (yet, adding turbocharge, cold air intake, and some other mods to it later)

So looks are a huge thing for me. And if the bike doesn't look good to me, I'm not interested no matter what it might have to offer in terms of speed or manual vs automatic.

I'd rather struggle to learn manual for a long ass time instead of buy an automatic bike that I don't like the look of.

Here's something some of you might find useful later on in your life:
>"If you don't look back at your car after parking, you own the wrong car"

I took that advice and holyyyy shit did I not regret it I have so much love for my current car it might need to file a restraining order against me.
>>
NC750X DCT is a great first bike. Not a sport bike but it would be hard to recommend a full on sport bike as a first bike anyway
>>
>>15622101

Yeah, it's called a scooter. Learning to use a clutch and shift gears isn't hard, it just requires practice and a little bit of patience at the beginning.

Go Jap or go home, at least until you know what you want and are willing to work on it (or can afford for someone else to). The big four (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha) are all reliable so it's personal preference which one you go with.

Not really. Dualsports (i.e. road legal dirt bikes) with knobbies maybe, but not sportbikes.

Anything Japanese up to ~80hp. Think Ninja 650, ER-6n, CBR500, MT/FZ-07 etc.

Don't buy a proper sportbike as your first (i.e. GSX-R, R6/R1, Ninja 636/ZX-6R etc because they're meant for people who know what they're doing. Get one once you've got a decent amount of riding experience (i.e. not in a month's time when you've got the basics down.)

>and if I really wanted to be cheap, under 5k (new pref but not necessary maybe not possible?) which should I get

You could get an old Ninja 250 for $1500 if you really wanted to poorfag it up.

Spend $3-4k on a used bike and $1000 on gear imo. Good protective gear is the difference between crashing and getting friction burn and crashing and getting ALL your skin cheese gratered off your body by the road.

Do you want to end up a red smear of human tomato paste on the news? No? Wear your gear and don't ride like a dickhead then.
>>
>>15623788
>OP HERE I'm back after sleeping!

Actually the visual style of this bike isn't that bad. I'll consider it, but I'll probably be doing what others suggested and just deciding to learn manual while I tear my hair out over the inconvenience of it -_-

>>15624223
>It's called a scooter
I've driven manuals before, (and stalled them a lot) and I understand how it works, but the issue is every time I use a manual anything it distracts me from driving. I have to actively think about the gear change and that takes my mind off the road and I hate that.

>Go jap or go home
Yea that's the answer I've been seeing here.

>Ninja 250
A lot of people are selling this bike in my area actually, for around 1000~2800 seems interesting. I'll keep an eye on this one. But it does kinda annoy me that the top speed is less than that of my car by a fair amount. My car does 200km it does 170km. I was always told bikes were faster than cars in most cases

>Spend $3-4k on used bike $1k on gear
Yea I wasn't planning on skipping over the gear and riding with a hoddie on. My only issue with bikes (in regards to safety) is taking someone else with me. I feel like I'll have to keep a second jacket with me at all times in case someone wants to come (and a second helmet, but I obvs can't take that with me it would have to be at home)
>>
>>15623788
Bbbut it has no engine.
>>
>>15624593
haha. Power is everything right?

That's kinda what I love about bikes, they're so powerful for so little money (compared to cars to clarify)
>>
Is financing worth it for a bike I can't afford right at this moment? (I have a couple thousand in spending cash for this bike + the gear) but assuming I would want a brand new bike, (which is probably a bad idea but asking the question anyway) would it be smart to finance it out and use most of the spending cash to pay off a large chunk of the total price then pay the 40~ish whatever dollars a month I need to to finance out the bike and spend hte rest of the cash getting good gear?
>>
>>15622101
bikes are rwd, ofcourse they handle more poorly in snow. just like rwd cars

I've ridden sportsbikes in asia alot, in several typhoons. It is harder to hydroplane on a bike since your tires aren't flat. Lots of other things can go wrong tho. Visibility and wind usually makes it harder to ride like a madman in the rain.

When you ride a bike, its not about if you will have an accident. Its about when.
>>
>>15622101
It's always better if you learn the normal way and not the automatic(DCT) way.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.