[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Motorcycle hauling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 20141108_155951.jpg (80KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
20141108_155951.jpg
80KB, 650x366px
Hey /o/, it's been a while but I'm looking for advice. I recently purchased a 2017 WRX as my DD and I want to bring back my hobby of dirtbiking again. I used to ride with my grandpa but now he's getting old and I am going to have to find a way to transport 2-3 dirtbikes (1 for me, my friend's drz, and maybe a third in the future?) myself.

I'm thinking of the three following options:

1) I install a Torklift hitch that goes behind the bumper of my WRX. The manual says that my warranty will not cover any towing damages, but I'm thinking this hidden hitch + the light weight of a utility trailer + 2-3 bikes wouldn't matter at all to the car (It's of course NOT the CVT). The hidden hitch wouldn't be noticed by the dealer? Total cost: $600 trailer, $350 for hitch + wiring.

http://torkliftcentral.com/2015-2016-subaru-wrx-wrx-sti-ecohitch-invisi

2) I buy a light pickup. I'm thinking a 1998+ Ranger long bed, 4 cylinder, manual transmission (I've heard the autos are not as robust as the Mazda 5 speed that went into these). ~$3k plus insurance etc. A big pro to me here is that I have a pickup I can use for anything else.

3) Another option? Are s10s shit? Maybe I go for an old full-size pickup?

What does /o/ recommend? I don't care about my pickup being 4WD because I own a WRX for shit winter driving
>>
Also, would a Ranger even fit 3 motorcycles? Any experience with this?
>>
>>15619718
If you have the space I'd get a cheap ranger, you'd still need a trailer but you might be able to get three bikes into the back. Never tried it.

If you have any transmission issues in the future and you have a tow hook, I doubt Subaru will cover your warranty claim.
>>
>>15619828

I do have the space, fortunately. The ranger would be outside, but I frankly don't care.

Why would I need a trailer with the Ranger?
>>
>>15619848
If you can't fit 3 bikes in the bed of the ranger, that is.
>>
>>15619718
I don't think a ranger could fit 3 baikus in the bed. Go for an older F series preferably without a Triton engine
>>
>>15619871

I thought the Modular V8 was well regarded? Any detail as to why I should stay away from a Triton engine?

I could go for a Chebby too
>>
>>15619905
They are good for the most part, but extremely hard to change spark plugs. desu imo I would prefer an f series from previous gen.

>I could go for a Chebby too
all of those have been turned into mud trucks by 17 year olds
>>
>>15619950
>all of those have been turned into mud trucks by 17 year olds

It's obvious to tell which ones these are. Several just sit in the garages of retired boomers
>>
>>15619950
>all of those have been turned into mud trucks by 17 year olds

this man speaks the truth. But if you can find any most of them have solid motors and has a really solid 6 speed auto. Stay away from the 4.3 v6, it's not bad but i don't know hwy anyone would want it. Same gas mileage as the v8 but less power.
>>
>>15619960
If you can find one of those owned by a boomer get it. Just hope he doesn't >know what he's got
>>
>>15619987

fuck boomers
>>
>>15619987

But for a truck with low miles and the right price I'd talk to them
>>
You aren't going to be able to to haul 3+ motorcycles at a time. Ignoring the fact that the ball and socket joint rating maxes out at 750 lbs, your frame maxes out at 1000 of hitch rating, and the suspension itself would be bottomed out entirely. it cant be done my friend
>>
>>15620003
>You aren't going to be able to to haul 3+ motorcycles at a time. Ignoring the fact that the ball and socket joint rating maxes out at 750 lbs, your frame maxes out at 1000 of hitch rating, and the suspension itself would be bottomed out entirely. it cant be done my friend

Tongue weight of a motorcycle trailer is like 60 lbs???
>>
Thanks for all the advice everyone but I'm finding so many clean C/K1500s with v8s around here for like the same price as newer Rangers.

I think that if I am going to go through the trouble of a second vehicle, I might as well maximize the utility.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.