[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oil pan replacement.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: K20A_DC5_oil_pan_519_02.jpg (27KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
K20A_DC5_oil_pan_519_02.jpg
27KB, 600x399px
Sup /o/ got a Mazda Tribute question: I apparently need a new oil pan cause the drain plugs got stripped out last time I went to get an oil change, they plugged it up but they also told me I need to get the oil pan replaced, researching it online seems this is somewhat of a common problem.

Now, has any other Tribute/Escape owner had this problem before and if so how much did you have to shell out for the repair? Or is there a way to simply replace the plug without getting rid of the entire oil pan?
>>
>>15608782
Why didnt the shop fix their mistake?
>>
>>15608806
Cause I've been going there for ages and I've never had a problem with them, I know those guys by name, hell I went to the sweet 16 of the daughter of one of the mechanics. I legit believe them if they tell me that it wasn't their fault and that Tribute had been pretty mistreated when I got it and have been slowly getting it back to normal over the last year or so, so I'm blaming it on that.
>>
>>15608806
I'm glad I'm not the only one who caught this.
>>15608782
If a shop "plugged " it up that means they found the mistake and still changed your oil which means they own that fuck up even if they didn't do it. OP is mentally retarded
>>
File: 1466834174840.jpg (125KB, 1224x1445px)
1466834174840.jpg
125KB, 1224x1445px
>>15608859
>been going to them for ages
>believes the shop that they didn't do it.
OP confirmed for retard
>>
>>15608806
How much you wanna bet the mechanics are laughing at how stupid OP is?
>>
>>15608888
Nice quads. And I'll bet alot. Like alot alot.
>>
>>15608782
Are you the least bit mechanically inclined? You can remove the pan, drill out the hole, tap it, and replace the bolt with a bigger one.

Could potentially save you hundreds
>especially if your dumbass even thinks about taking it to the same mechanics that stripped it.
>>
File: 1465174791805.jpg (58KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
1465174791805.jpg
58KB, 750x600px
>>15608962
He will probably have the shop do the tapping of his oil pan.

And his oil pan....and probably his girlfriend too..
>>
V6 tribute requires dropping the y pipe off of the exhaust manifolds. Not a big deal but if its an older car, you have have some stubborn or broken bolts. After that, the pan drops right out. I think its a 2-3hr labor time job plus the pan. Its hard to insert a helicoil when the pan is on the car due to the angle of the hole when trying to drill it out. You can repair the old pan, just use a new pan gasket.
>>
>>15608971
>pooh buuurrn
>>
File: Oil-Pan-Thread-FIX.jpg (197KB, 560x436px) Image search: [Google]
Oil-Pan-Thread-FIX.jpg
197KB, 560x436px
if the pan isn't physically damaged why not try an insert type thread repair?

helicoil/timesert/ezlok.

stuff like that.
>>
>>15608782
>Now, has any other Tribute/Escape owner had this problem before and if so how much did you have to shell out for the repair?

Other cars have had oilpan problems. Instead of Replacement (buy new oil pan, new gasket, uninstall old pan, install new gasket and new pan) there is also Repair.

Buying a new oil pan and replacing it is the most profitable approach for a dealership. But there is certainly room on the underside of the car for a repair. Simple ones are to retap the hole carefully, then clean the bottom of the inside of the pan of any metal bits and that may include a magnet on a swivel. Then put in the bigger plug to the newly tapped threads. The pan was not removed. The better approach is to remove the pan, put in a new insert for the hole. And then screw in the matching plug to that insert. So this saves the cost of the oil pan.

My stealership almost never does repairs. It is always replacement with a new part or the whole assembly. I had a plugged windshield wiper line, and the chevrolet dealership wanted to replace the whole windshield wiper assembly. Yes, that means all the mechanical arms as well. It is a real stealership and aggressively hunts down negative comments and squashes them out of forums if their name is mentioned in a bad way.
>>
>>15608782

just find a bigger oil pan bolt. thats how i fixed my car. i use a mercedes benz oil pan bolt on my honda accord.
>>
>>15608782
Is it a v6 tribute? They aren't too bad to do, but the gasket is a massive faggot. Also, just helicoil it you autist, why replace the whole sump.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.