[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oil/Lubricants/Lubrication

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 81-mfqBh8nL._SL1500_.jpg (193KB, 1165x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81-mfqBh8nL._SL1500_.jpg
193KB, 1165x1500px
Oil is a big part of automotives, so let's talk about oil.

Which oil do you use, full synthetic, synthetic blend, or conventional?
Do you have a preferred brand of oil, why?

I was looking at oils and recently came across Miles Lubricants. I've never heard of Miles Lubricants before, but they have a product "MILES SXR 15W40 CJ-4 HEAVY DUTY FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL". I need 5 gallons of oil, and I would like synthetic, but name-brand synthetic is somewhat cost-prohibitive considering I need 5 gallons. The Miles oil is $89/5-gal pail with free shipping, much cheaper than name-brand synthetic. Of course, I could get conventional Rotella T in a 5 gal pail for $65 shipped, but I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of or used Miles before.
>>
>>15604916
i use rotella 15w40 in just about everything i own, two dirt bikes my f250 superduty and my turbo ls1. Havent had a single oil related failure yet.
>>
>>15604940
I have a big 8.3L Cummins 6CTA diesel. It takes 5 gallons of oil and is just about overdue for an oil change. So I'd like to find something that is affordable in bulk. Rotella is good stuff, but I can't seem to find 15W40 in synthetic. It probably doesn't matter for my truck anyway.
>>
>>15604973
with that fucking huge engine and also being diesel, you'd have to try pretty hard to fuck it up, it'll keep running on pretty much any oil you pick as long as you're not flat out retarded, until the truck either crashes or rusts away around it.
>>
>>15604973
I suggest putting in that motor what the manufacture (cummins) suggests you use, unless you are having issues with gunking up oil there is little to no reason to change from what the factory warrantied in the motor.
>>
I'm currently using Valvoline full synthetic maxlife. I'll probably stick with it because it was rated pretty high on an extensive list comparing and testing oils that some aspie made.

I would get a full synthetic that's rated API-SN. That is the current best category and is supposed to provide superior engine protection, minimize sludge, etc.
>>
>>15605013
And looks like you'd want API CJ-4 for diesel
>>
>>15605000
The lubrication order says to use 30wt oil - OE/HDO30 is the military specification. Consumers use 15W40 in their marine and RV engines.
I personally would use 15W40 since it will be operated in a variety of climates.
>>
File: ShitboxOil.jpg (198KB, 768x1024px)
ShitboxOil.jpg
198KB, 768x1024px
>>15604916
>>
>>15604973
Use the rotella t6 it's full synthetic, it's good shit
>>
>>15607010
Seconded. I put it in my motorcycle and plan on changing my diesels oil with it this weekend. It's top notch and about $20 a gallon where I live.
>>
Pennzoil platinum 5w30.
>>15605013
I may give the valvoline high mileage semi synthetic a gander come winter time, see if it quiets piston slap on my outback with 212k km.
>>
>>15604940
>uses 15w40 in ls1
What? Wouldn't the detergent eat at seals? The 40 weight provides adequate protection?
>>
I just use whatever 5w/10w30 synthetic is on sale at the time
>>
>>15604916
>Which oil do you use, full synthetic, synthetic blend, or conventional?

Look at the past archived oil threads. The discussions are there as well as useful links to the oil database by RAT540.

https://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14985876/

You can find Hello Kitty full synthetic oil. The newest version type SN is out. So this picture is old since it shows type SM.
>>
>>15607379
>not putting the correct oil Weight in your car
Boomers I swear
>>
>>15604916
My car is past menopause so I fill her full of astroglide
>>
I use whatever full synthetic that is on sale with a giod filter. Recently started using walnart oil.
>>
>>15608215
Anon, are you suggesting it doesn't matter that much and that Miller's not worth it? Maybe overreading.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.