[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

German magazine: US regulators find even MORE emissions cheat software

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: v-dubya.jpg (22KB, 644x394px)
v-dubya.jpg
22KB, 644x394px
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-audi-idUSKCN10I0PB
>Sun Aug 7, 2016 1:22pm EDT

> U.S. authorities have found three unapproved software programs in 3.0 liter diesel engines made by Volkswagen's Audi unit, German weekly Bild am Sonntag reported, without saying where it had obtained the information.
>The software allowed the turbocharged direct injection (TDI) engines used in Audi's Q7, Porsche's Cayenne and VW's Touareg models to shut down emissions control systems after about 22 minutes, the paper said. Official methods to measure emissions usually last about 20 minutes, it added.
>Volkswagen has admitted it cheated on U.S. diesel emissions tests for years and said in June it would spend as much as $15.3 billion buying back vehicles from consumers and providing funding that could benefit makers of cleaner technologies.
>That settlement however would not address about 85,000 larger 3.0 liter Audi, Porsche and VW vehicles that emitted less pollution than 2.0 liter vehicles but were also fitted with illegal emissions-control equipment. Audi and Volkswagen notified U.S. authorities about these vehicles last year. A deal covering the 3.0 liter vehicles may still be months away.
JUST
>>
FINISHED
>>
those 3.0 did not sell in large numbers. i say let them be.
>>
>>15587973
that's not how emissions recalls work. VW has to buyback or retrofit to spec.
>>
Lel, the world's goberments see that VW has some of the deepest pockets in the auto industry and are taking full advantage of their fuck-up. They were just unlucky enough to get caught. GM killed 6 people in the past 10 years because of their retarded engineering and they didn't pay nearly as much for it.
>>
I don't see why people are blaming VW.

Diesel emissions regulations are fucking retarded and are bigger sucks of fuel economy and power than the fucking switch to unleaded was for petrol shit back in the 70s.

Doesn't help that the particle filters work so well they only let the fucking tiny bits that get in your lungs free, because this is so much better than having those particles trapped with the bigger shit and put on the ground as soot.
>>
>>15588151
6 people in 10 years is like nothing.
>>
>>15588151
Volkswagen did a deliberate cheat across a variety of vehicles in order to save money putting in an adblue system, GM designed an ignition switch, some people realized it was failing and updated the part without creating a new part number, which damaged GMs ability to recognize the problem in a timely fashion as they tested it in many 2007+ cars that had the new ignition switch but didn't recognize that it was changed because the part number didn't change. It's the difference between the incompetence of one person and scheming known by dozens and dozens of people to deliberately cheat.
>>
>>15588164
>I don't see why people are blaming VW.
Europe is tightening up their deisel emissions rules too. They realize that reducing CO2 can fix some air quality issues, but all the NOX emissions that these cars can spew out can be extremely harmful for air quality too. VW could have addressed the problem while making the cars, but in the name of the almighty dollar, didn't:
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/30/vw-diesel-fix-would-have-cost-335-per-vehicle/
> VW cost controllers wouldn't approve the AdBlue solution because it would add 300 euros ($335 US) to the cost of the vehicle. Bernhard and Krebs left the same year that Bosch advised VW about the software, two years before the engine went into production.

This is about corporate arrogance and greed. The technology to easily meet emissions requirements exist, other diesel manufacturers did it, and rather than doing that Volkswagen programmed a software cheat device so they could save $300 during vehicle construction and so owners wouldn't have to pay $20 every 10,000 miles for some adblue to dump in.
>>
>>15588183
It's cute how attempt to put off a massive increase in servicing costs and new tooling as something small.

Needing to refill some piss in your car every service is a great way to lose sales, and it's also a great way to do NOTHING to improve the environment.

Fucking china and india pollute so much they have a seasonal fucking brown cloud now covering half the ocean, you really think for 1 second that a few diesels are going to do a goddamn thing?

The environment is already fucked and no change to cars will do a damn thing to fix this.

VW were improving vehicle performance and fuel economy, while reducing purchase and servicing costs because they saw this too.

If you really think the other euro diesel manufacturers didn't do the same thing before VAG got fucked, you're delusional. They simply didn't get caught.
>>
>>15588206
>It's cute how attempt to put off a massive increase in servicing costs and new tooling as something small.
Please, VAG even used Adblue in some of the affected cars. They cheated on others to save even more money.

>Needing to refill some piss in your car every service is a great way to lose sales, and it's also a great way to do NOTHING to improve the environment.
A) It's not expensive, nor is it difficult. It's like filling windshield wiper fluid. Most people are fine with it since the torque of diesel is nice.
>and it's also a great way to do NOTHING to improve the environment
Adblue converts NOx to nitrogen and steam, which are harmless, and help improve the local air quality drastically by doing so.
>Fucking china and india pollute so much they have a seasonal fucking brown cloud now covering half the ocean, you really think for 1 second that a few diesels are going to do a goddamn thing?
I've never seen it from the US, where are you seeing it from, or is this just an assertion? Regardless of pollution issues in foreign locales, local air quality is an issue too. France having to take emergency measures (shutting down parts of the city of Paris for traffic due to smog) is part of this.

>The environment is already fucked and no change to cars will do a damn thing to fix this.
So basically, rather than trying to improve things, your position is to not give a fuck and go hell in a handbasket.

>VW were improving vehicle performance and fuel economy, while reducing purchase and servicing costs because they saw this too.
That's not grounds to violate the law.
>>
>>15587981
they are not making any impact on the environment. very limited numbers of cars.
>>
>>15588219
Yes faggot, my position is to do nothing because there is nothing that can be done.

The environment is already fucked and we're heading towards another small ice age no matter what, there's no point restriction a few cars now.

>That's not grounds to violate the law.
Who gives a shit, you're probably violating a law right now just sitting there.
>>
>>15588219 continued
>If you really think the other euro diesel manufacturers didn't do the same thing before VAG got fucked, you're delusional. They simply didn't get caught.
In Europe where they have far more love for deisel its common, since the emissions laws are way more lax (also, it's easier to cheat since manufacturers got to pay labs for results and have them drive in much less standard fashions for ideal low emissions, vs. the US where it's much more strict and the testing protocol is run by the EPA in a way much more representative of actual driving). That's why a lot of diesels aren't sold in the US (among other reasons, but manufacturers gave up entirely).

VW played with fire. They got burned. Their shenanigans proved in Europe that other manufacturers were playing around (no other manufacturer has been accused of a software cheat from what I've read, but the problem of manufacturers being able to shop around to private labs for emissions testing results and being able to run them in a way totally different from real driving means the vehicles pollute way more in real life).

>>15588226
>they are not making any impact on the environment. very limited numbers of cars.
Then you're missing the point that this is supposed to be punitive. The law is made with the expectation that all will follow it. If VW gets a punishment that makes it worth taking the risk then you'll see other manufacturers continue to cheat emissions and fuel economy tests too, because the risk/reward ratio is just too appealing. VW has admitted at least 11 million vehicles worldwide have the cheat and 480,000 in the US (but that was just the 2.0 L TDI engine, before others were announced to be affected).

>>15588231
>Yes faggot, my position is to do nothing because there is nothing that can be done.
Defeatism

>Who gives a shit, you're probably violating a law right now just sitting there.
Such as?
>>
>>15588238
>Then you're missing the point that this is supposed to be punitive.

i fail to respect the EPA when they themselves have a shit track record. did you forget the EPA pretty much poisoned that river with nasty mine water?

what about what happened in Flint? http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/flint-water-crisis/2016/03/15/epa-sharply-criticized-flint-mistakes-hearing/81828374/

as far as i am concerned the EPA has no high ground. am i supposed to care about a handful of cars? let vw take care of the problem themself.
your mentality is too communist
>>
>>15587963
>I own a 2003 TDI
>completely unregulated
>life is pretty good
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.