[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did i fuck my engine?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 2016-08-08 18.31.41.jpg (431KB, 941x530px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-08 18.31.41.jpg
431KB, 941x530px
Realized today my bike was running very very low on oil (200mL) my bike took 3L today, so i was literally riding with 200mL in it, how fucked am i? Oil light never came on, booked a major service whoch will be done in 2 days, help me out /o/

Pic related (my bike)
>>
>>15587226
Sell it and buy a car.
>>
>>15587239
>car
Fuck off, cager
>>
>>15587226
You should be fine. Probably just shaved off a bit of shit. If your engine didn't completely seize then you are fine. Some oil is better than bone dry. Im sure the very little oil it had was enough to provide sufficient lubrication, don't forget the oil just fucking splashes around everywbere while engine it on, and if it is running full synthetic that shit lubricates real good.
>>
File: 180450015.jpg (165KB, 594x395px) Image search: [Google]
180450015.jpg
165KB, 594x395px
>honda riders
>>
>>15587319
Cheers mate, i mean, it starts and runs as before, i feel like a fucking idiot as i only just noticed today, gears were grinding for a short while, seems like it stopped

Getting a compression test with my major service too so i hope i dont have to bin it
>>
>>15587226
How the fuck did you get it down to that little oil anyway?
>>
>>15587363
Misread the gauage, and a little bit of negligence on my part, im a fucking idiot, i was shocked when i realised>>15587363
>>
>>15587226
its probably completely fucked, bottom end bearings will be fucked, piston sleeves fucked, piston and rings fucked, i cant really think of something that won't be fucked, maybe the timing chain will be alright, new valves will be needed too though, does it even start?
>>
>>15587615
Runs fine, never skipped a beat, i dont think it would be that bad, if the oil light came on then yeah i would be fucked, but it never came on
>>
>>15587615
In saying that... how long did you actually ride it with no oil?
Im guessing a while considering its probably using oil due to needing new rings on the pistons
>>
>>15587631
Can't hear any chatter from the timing chain at around 3000 rpms?
No new rattles coming from the engine?
It is possible that you are really fucking lucky and did no damage, i ran one of my cars out of oil when i was 16 and amazingly did no damage to the engine internals, i pulled the engine out of the car thinking i needed to change the timing chain, piston and rings and all were fine when i actually got to look at them.
>>
>>15587631
Oh by the way check all your gaskets, you are obviously using oil somewhere so one of the gaskets is fucked, id assume its the top end gasket, kinda a big job to pull the top end off that engine, fairly sure you will have to take the engine out of the frame OR take it to the shop and pay a few grand for them to do it for you.

New rings for the pistons will be maybe $300, thats all it needs if no new rattles have appeared and it still starts and runs you havent damaged the timing chain and you havent damaged the valves.
>>
they used to show car commercials 50 years ago where they'd drain the oil out of a car and drive it however many miles to prove the film strength of the oil. oil has improved since then, but such a test also assumes you dont have hydraulic lifters, cam chain tensioner, vvt, shared gearbox lubrication, wet clutch, etc. if the sump is efficient its possible it had a stream of oil always going around, but not very likely
>>
>>15587641
Very very slight chatter, hopefully ill find out when i get the compression test done

I was fucking stupid to not check, spent more of my time focusing on a new exhaust, installing heated grips and other shit
>>
>>15587701
Hopefully the timing chain has just stretched a bit and can still be adjusted back to the right tension, even then thought that not that expensive of a fix IF YOU DO THE WORK YOURSLF.
Its a very fucking expensive fix at the bike shop, im talking $1500+
>>
>>15587705
seriously if it needs a new timing chain do the work yourself, it will take you about 6 hours to do if its your first time but its a hell of a lot better than wasting a thousand dollars on labour at a mechanic unless you have money to burn.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.