[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How fucking hard is it to fit an actual tire in the trunk?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: why is this allowed.jpg (112KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
why is this allowed.jpg
112KB, 650x366px
How fucking hard is it to fit an actual tire in the trunk?
>>
But why would you want something even heavier in the car?
Why is it a problem to go home with the shitty spare and switch there?
>>
>>15579935
pretty difficult. most modern cars do not have that big of a trunk and they have to fit both the rear suspension and the fuel tank under there.

also most classic cars had really narrow tires so it isn't like the wheels were that wide to fit under there
>>
>>15579940
>something even heavier in the car
I could make the difference by taking a reasonably sized shit.

Let's say I'm 300 miles from my home/a shop. It's a clear safety hazard and forces me to change the tire twice.
>>
>drive ef civic on 175/65/r13 (13x5)

its like driving on spare tires anyway
>>
>>15579950
Then plan ahead. If you're going to be in the middle of nowhere then take the proper precautions.
>>
I dont even have a spare in my trunk, fuckin sucks.
>>
the real answer
MPG ratings

most modern car manufacturers do every little thing they can to reduce their MPG ratings. some newer base model cars don't even including doughnut for MPG purposes.

no way they will add a full size tire and take the fuel efficiency hit.
>>
>>15579965
But that weight reduction
>>
>>15579968
they also do the tests on special low friction surfaces
>>
>>15579968
>some newer base model cars don't even including doughnut for MPG purposes.
This, a donut spare is a fucking priced option these days. Most of them come with some kind of retarded sealer you pump into the tire which ruins it completely for longterm use since it then can't have a proper patch and plug applied.
>>
>>15579962
So.... swapping in a full sized spare whenever you go for a long drive?
>>
>>15580370

i do a long distance drive (one that doesn't take me through large towns/cities at least every 30 minutes) once a year

if i was forward thinking i'd definitely do it, might as well

keep it in the garage or even in a utility closet til it's time to cross the state and throw it in the trunk and cover it with a blanket. bonus, you now either have a. two spares or b. a spot to store drugs
>>
File: IMG_20160701_004456.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160701_004456.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
Not that hard. I can fit other stuff too
>>
File: trunk.jpg (198KB, 761x600px) Image search: [Google]
trunk.jpg
198KB, 761x600px
Who cares about tire, fit more peer.
>>
>>15579935
Not hard at all, they used to be able to put a full size on top of the engine to save trunk space, hell the way MURICAN land yachts had spares, you could have TWO full sized spares.

It's all about EMM PEE GEE, modern cars are losing the spare tires entirely. BMW and Merc did it long ago with run flats and fix a flats, and Kia and even fucking Chevy are now doing the same.

It's bullshit, a spare at least donut should be a legal requirement. I have a first gen CRV where the Spare is mounted on the rear outside the hatch. And it's a fullsize. I also have a donut inside under the table. The CRV came with a camping table, idk don't ask me.

First off the wheel in the back provides some weight there so it doesn't OVER STEER ALL THE GOD DAMN TIME, but also I've had a flat and it's great just having a fullsize, put that on, drive around and don't even worry about it cos i still have a donut if i really fuck this one up too.
>>
>>15579935
it's not hard, it's cheaper
>>
>>15580499
Put a sub in the rear, oversteer problem solved.

Donuts are worthless, they're tiny wheels that'll explode at any distance further than 15 miles at speeds higher than 25 mph.

>not having a roadside towing service with your insurance policy
>shiggydiggy
>>
>>15581698
yeah because waiting for a tow truck is quicker than putting a donuts or spare wheels and driving to a shop
most donuts are rated to 80 kph
>>
>>15579973
No they don't.
>>
>>15580417
The "I got rejected at MEPS and the police academy" starter kit.
>>
>>15581826
the "I shitpost on /o/" deluxe package. only eligible after 5 years of dedicated alphonse tripping.
>>
>>15579980
>proper patch and plug applied.

You can, its a total pain in the ass and takes upwards of 30 mins just dealing with the tire. Lots of places just say its fucked rather then trying to deal with it and pissing off the techs.
>>
>>15581892
I'm sure you have plenty of time to post Corvette vs. GTR threads at your security guard job, but you'd probably be more at home over at /k/ with the rest of the people who will never oper8.
>>
>>15579935
I'd love to drive on four doughnut spare tires once just for fun
>>
>>15582131

Years ago I believe Treequinox bought a car that only had 4 donuts on it and drove it down a dirt road like that.
>>
>>15582267

Hypermilin, yo
>>
>>15582402
THAT WEIGHT REDUCTION why don't racecars have this ??
>>
>>15582131

Looks pretty fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY
>>
no point as my setups over the past 4 years have all been staggered.
>>
File: 2016-07-03 20.49.11.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-03 20.49.11.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>15580499

>I have a first gen CRV where the Spare is mounted on the rear outside the hatch. And it's a fullsize. I also have a donut inside under the table. The CRV came with a camping table, idk don't ask me.

Fucking love my CR-V's camping table. I'm prepared in case an emergency BBQ breaks out.

And it's based on the Civic platform so it's easy to park. Decent gas mileage, the "AWD" is decent in the snow, mine's a manual so it's fun to chuck around corners, seats fold nearly flat for cargo hauling... really is the jack of all trades. Perfect shitmobile for northern climates.
>>
>>15579950
You will not be 300 miles from a shop.
>>
>>15580499
>Not hard at all, they used to be able to put a full size on top of the engine to save trunk space,

>implying you're not taking up space for more engine

even my 1.5l econo hatch doesn't have room under the hood for a fucking tire
>>
>>15581698
>Donuts are worthless
Not always.
The one in my old pontiac was solid rubber.
I drove my daily commute on the highway for like 2 weeks with it on.
>>
>>15582847
looks like a london cab from thumbnail
>>
>>15579935
>How fucking hard is it to fit an actual tire in the trunk?
My car, like many others, has no spare tire or jack. The weight savings goes towards making higher EPA MPG ratings. The manfacturer included an aerosol can of puncture sealing goop that is sprayed inside the tire. However, it makes a mess of the tire rim and air pressure sensor for the tires (as it can clog them up). So, it is basically unusable without causing more problems.

It's better to periodically stop and re-inflate the tire with a 12volt air pump. Then limp ahead a few more miles and re-inflate as the pressure drops on the air pressure display on the dash. Sooner later the car will limp to a tire center or location that patches holes.

I had a slow leak like that before. I limped to the nearest Les Schwab service center and they fixed the two holes in the tire with a patch (two-pronged construction staple).

>>15579980
>Most of them come with some kind of retarded sealer you pump into the tire
It will plug up your tire pressure sensor just like it plugs up the hole. You'll have to buy a new TPMS and re-synch it to the car's computer. My chevrolet stealership says $190.
>>
>>15579935

It's easier to sell storage space than roadside conveniences.
>>
>>15579935
They're cheaper by the dozen.
>save $2 per tire.
>sell 5 million cars.
>just made an extra $10 million dollars.
>>
>>15579935

I can fit a regular spare or 2 donuts in my wagon. I carry 2 donuts because if I get a flat 70km down a gravel logging road one donut probably isn't going to make it back. I also carry a compressor, sealant and tire plugs.
>>
Most trucks, mine included have a full sized spare.
>>
>>15582847
Is that an EX? I got a EX too. Great CUV, i also take mine down hunting trails with winter tires on. Not all that bad for off roading.

Also maintenance a bitch though, ever tried reaching the oil filter? Or replacing the rear lights needs a screwdriver.

Also CHANGE YOUR DIFF FLUID YOU ASS HOLE. If you already have, good, but i still scream this at any CRV owner with REAL TIME 4wd.

>>15582907
>Implying a V8 is not engine enough
Your econo hatch doesn't compare to a landbarge.
>>
File: Balance.jpg (36KB, 640x418px) Image search: [Google]
Balance.jpg
36KB, 640x418px
>>15579935
Who even needs a spare?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.