[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Formula Fun Car

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: July.jpg (144KB, 530x221px) Image search: [Google]
July.jpg
144KB, 530x221px
Hey /o/, I have an opportunity to buy one of these sans motor, thinking of dropping a Honda F20C motor in it and making a silly fun street/track car.

Am I completely retardation? For some reason I've been wanting to do this for years.
>>
Nobody?
>>
Why don't you just buy a used Formula Vee or Ford?

Also check to see if the engine will be a stressed member. Production car engines don't tend to like to become stressed members. See 4AGEs in Formula Atlantic cars.
>>
I couldn't find a formula vee or ford that appealed to me in my price range. This seemed more my style. It was formerly an electric car but the motor is gone, what remains is what appears to be a VW transaxle. The engine isn't a stressed part of the frame so I should be good there.
>>
>>15577934
What's your price range? Vee's are quite cheap compared to most other formula's.
I think it would be a lot more fun to be actually able to enter a race too instead of just having a fast kit car.
>>
I did see some cheap FV cars for sale but they were either really old or very basic. I'm looking for rolling chassis in the sub $5000 range.

I know I wouldn't be able to do anything but open track days with it but I'm OK with that.
>>
So, sort of like a poor man's BAC Mono or Ariel Atom?
>>
No way I could license that since it doesn't have a VIN.
>>
I'm pretty sure in CA you can as a kit car or something... it just has to have headlights, taillights and mirrors.
>>
>>15578070

Depending on the weight, it would probably need fenders in CA. And even if you were legal without you would constantly get pulled over and harassed. Happened to my dad all the time in his '32 Ford.
>>
>>15578050
That's exactly the idea. Nice thing, the frame conforms to imsa spec iirc.
>>
>>15578050
>>15578094
except the mono and atom are both road legal
>>
>>15578115
Adding headlights and taillights shouldn't be too hard.
>>
File: s-l400.jpg (28KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
s-l400.jpg
28KB, 400x266px
>>15578118
So can you just take any race car and stick some lights on it and drive it on the road?

Here in bong you can't drive open wheeled cars on the road which is why atoms and caterhams make some attempt at covering the wheels. There are probably some other regulations too.
>>
>>15578139
I looked into it once when i wondered if i could turn my dads classic Formula Ford road legal in the UK and there doesnt seem to be much too it. It's just like a normal kit car i guess.

I think OP should just get a car for racing instead though. Track days are nothing like racing and he will end up spending thousands on a car that doesnt really have much purpose.
>>
https://youtu.be/MRiGcU45HE0
Haha holy shit OP if you switch it to gas you'll have an insane grocery getter.
>>
>>15578139
>>15578202
The entire top of the tire has to be covered, as well as the top half of the rear of the tire. Cops will mostly not fuck with you if the rear is exposed (because all cops love lifted trucks), but the top absolutely has to be covered for the full width and length of the tire or they will ruin your day.
>>
>>15578481
>a formula car with enough trunk space for 2 bodies

Well now I've seen everything.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.