[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone installed an ipad in there dash? or wanted to.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

File: DSC01457.jpg (354KB, 1500x997px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01457.jpg
354KB, 1500x997px
anyone installed an ipad in there dash?
or wanted to.
>>
my car is too much fun to drive to waste time on silly toys.
>>
Why would I do a stupid thing like that?
>>
>>15576945
carplay, massive maps, music, syncing with all the other apple shit etc
>>
>>15576948
are you saying they are easy to use when driving? looks dangerous to me.
>>
>>15576948
my bluetooth radio does music fine, the rest is useless garbage.
>>
I've always liked the idea of having something that gets constant updates to maps and OS that can have data or wifi. But i hate having to fuck with stuff while driving
>>
I'm wondering wether I should install a surface pro 4 or just swap out my head unit for a jbl cp100

my current one (kenwood dnx 6960) doesn't even support Bluetooth audio
>>
>>15576959
>>15576961

do none of you guys have mounts for your phone or anything? I always have my phone mounted to change music, do maps and stuff
>>
File: pontiac.jpg (967KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
pontiac.jpg
967KB, 1280x960px
why would anyone want an apple product built into their dashboard that sounds like pure nightmare fuel
>>
>>15576937
no but its really fucking retarded that all infotainment systems aren't android based. In my 2012 focus its a fucking quagmire to navigate and get to work right just get my phone to work on it for music when it would be way more convenient to just cut out the middleman, also it would be sick to have a hard disk for music.
>>
>>15576975
i fucking leave my phone in the glovebox
its distracting. do i want to be less safe?
>>
File: 1443173215257.jpg (167KB, 1880x1056px)
1443173215257.jpg
167KB, 1880x1056px
>>15576978
what the fuck
>>
>>15576978
What is this?
>>
>>15576991
I bet you "fucking" wear a crash helmet too right.
>>
>>15576991
Do you wear driving gloves and shoes too you fucking dork ass?
>>
>>15576948
>having to deal with a shit touchscreen interface for everything
>>
File: pontiac pursuit 1987.jpg (129KB, 1200x947px) Image search: [Google]
pontiac pursuit 1987.jpg
129KB, 1200x947px
>>15577000
>>15577001
1987 Pontiac Pursuit concept
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (87KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
87KB, 1000x666px
>>15577024
Hey leave him alone. It's just him and the road okay? leave it out????????
>>
Why use the console when you could mount it on the steering wheel?

https://youtu.be/AdAkKKxOvu4
>>
>putting something in your dash with a big lithium ion battery in cars when they can get up to 180F (82C) in the summer and heat is bad for batteries (and batteries can go bad)
>putting an obvious theft target in your dash
Get a good strong based magnet mount, then put the iPad in, or get a good touchscreen radio with Apple Carplay/Android Auto instead.
>>
>>15577354
I live in england mate I get about 2 days of summer a year haha.
>>
>>15577040
That actually looks pretty fucking cool from the outside.. I wish shrouded wheels took off, despite all the GIGANTIC FLAWS they have..
>>
>>15577359
For the size and price of the iPad it doesn't really make sense to install one. Older ipads lose speed to updates. Then, unless you get an iPad with a cellular radio in it, the iPad doesn't have GPS. For location info to be accurate, you have to have an iPhone working as a mobile hotspot, or buy a bluetooth based GPS unit (good ones cost around $100 in the states). If the temp of the iPad gets above 35C (which can happen whenever there's sun or it's sufficiently warm, bearing in mind when the sun is out it gets far hotter than ambient in the passenger cabin) it won't operate until it cools below that temperature. An in-dash install makes it trickier to update the iPad or restore it (which is often required when updates botch on apple devices).

You're better off getting an aftermarket stereo. At least in the states, newer iPads with cellular cost about $830 USD, versus capable radios with carplay/mirrorlink getting down to around $400 (about $550 if you want to wire a backup cam and have the steering wheel controls work). Those integrate cleanly in the dash with trim pieces that look OEM and are designed to be installed in vehicles.
>>
I've been thinking about tossing in a Raspberry Pi eventually. Im learning how I'd get all the bullshit in my car to be controlled by the IO pins, and thinking about neat crap I could install.
>>
>>15577402 here
To be clear, you don't need to use an iPhone or bluetooth if you have the cellular model (even if the cell phone service isn't active). It is required if you want to use navigation and have a wifi-only iPad.
>>
>>15577402
I'm pretty sure you can remove the battery and have it powered by the car. I also have an ipad mini and an ipad air lying about that I never use.

But yeh I probably would never update it. All good things to consider though thanks
>>
>>15577416
There is so much shit for arduinos and pis that cost under ten bucks. Could probably do some really cool stuff.
>>
>>15576948
> apps while driving

Kill yourself
>>
>>15576937
>apple
>>
>>15577661
im not talking about fucking angry birds am i
>>
>>15576975
I do , I use it for maps on car trips, other than that it stays in the glove box , other than that I rarely use it
>>
>>15578098
I think living in london and using it for maps means I have it out all the time really.
>>
>>15576937
It's a good attraction to potentially have a nig break into your truck and steal it.
>>
>>15576937
Because i live in the 21st century and my car already came with a factory installed multiuse computer thing.

It also shows directions, music, notes, calls and all that between my gauge cluster so i don't have to look away and be distracted.

Also
>Apple products
>>
I'm planning on building a custom headunit for my car based on a raspberry pi because I don't want a ricey aftermarket stereo, I hate touch screens, and because I'm a tryhard faggot

It's gonna cost more money and by way harder than anything else

help
>>
>>15579466
>Based on raspberry pi
So you're gonna put a tiny Linux computer in your car?

Nothing about this project is hard, except maybe fitting everything together.

Pi power usage isn't even that crazy, easily tap into the battery.
>>
>>15576948
>all the other apple shit etc
only sheep use apple.
>>
>>15576937
>following apple maps
>>
>>15577018
>>15577024
Why the fuck are you both acting retarded? Some people want to just be alone.
>>
>>15576937
I want to install a 7inch samsung tab just to use navi.
>>
>>15576937
>anyone installed an ipad in there dash?

That's only for rabid apple fans. The iPad is not particularly well-suited for automobile dash use. Furthermore, during a severe collision, the iPad may severely injure the driver and passengers because it has a glass facing which shatters into sharp slivers. The glass fronts of ipads are not treated to break into lots of little squares like windshield glass.
>>
>>15576937
never wanted too, my car has an am radio and one speaker mounted inside the dash. it never gets used.
why would you want anything but a rev counter and maybe a speedo?
>>
>>15577221
>mount it on the steering wheel?

When the airbag goes off, it shoves the glass-facing of the iPad into your face. Thus your face is full of glass slivers. Shoved in with the force of an explosive airbag. Mounting an airbag or cellphone on the steering wheel is therefore a safety hazard.
>>
>>15576937
I'm sure some stupid appletard has done it. Touchscreens are the unrivaled champion of "worst interface to have in a car" and there is no good reason to have an ipad in your dash
>muh apps
focus on the road
>muh maps
put your phone in nav mode on a windshield mount
>muh music
aux port nigger
>muh other apple shit
fuck off fangirl
>>
I'd hate having to use touch screens in a vehicle. Very untactile. You can't touch without looking.
>>
>>15581122
>Implying that anyone who mounts an iPad to their steering wheel doesn't deserve a faceful of gorilla glass at explosive velocity
>>
>>15581104
>rev counter and speedo
Nigga all you need is a coolant gauge
>>
>>15577221
Oh jesus fucking fuck that's stupid. "Much safer". Kek.

>Sidenote: At least in Australia, you'd be lucky to find a commercial aircraft departing without an iPad mounted to the control column, instrument panel or windscreen - but that's a rather different kettle of fish.
>>
>>15576937
I park my car on the street, so no.
>>
File: 1454389913651.gif (2MB, 750x396px) Image search: [Google]
1454389913651.gif
2MB, 750x396px
>>15576948
>doesn't go over the directions to a new location before leaving
>can't turn on a gps and simply listen to the directions
>wanting your car broken into so dashauwn can get his baby momma money
>wanting your car syncing with fucking anything ever
>apps
The fuck is wrong with you?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
CarPlay is only available on iPhones OP.
>>
>>15577046
That jacket is so dope.
>>
>>15576937
No I've thought about it though but decided the iPad wouldn't be worth it. I did toy with the idea of using a Mac mini hidden in the console that could be easily accessed with a touch screen display in the dash. Would do everything the iPad could but with the ability to expand the storage with external hard drives. Wouldn't be too bad to get to work with a stereo either basically just run it into something like a mosconi 6 to 8 or audison bit 1 if I remember correctly.
>>
>>15579501

Yeah but compared to slapping an iPad in or just installing a stereo it's gonna be way more complicated

I'm planning on using an IPS display over HDMI, a higher quality DAC complete with a modified linear regulator rather than the switching power supply onboard the Pi, and an amp in the trunk

all for an 08 corolla that doesn't even have power locks or windows
>>
>>15576948
>playing music through a tablet
peasants! when will they learn?
>>
>>15577661
Careful what you wish for, he's liable to take you out with him.

>Manslaughter/suicide
>Uber driver not a mensch
>>
>>15576937
i have a stereo with bluetooth and a smart phone, why would i want something impractical and make me a target for theft
>>
>>15576937

No - what the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>15576937
I did this with a Nexus 7 tablet based on this kid's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KjlvHGIK6g

I mainly wanted to do it to be able to have access to the many gigs of music I have but it wasn't worth the hassle. It was a good learning experience but too many bugs and problems to make it worthwhile.
>>
>>15585398
jailbreak lfye
>>
>>15576975
I just put my phone in the cupholder

aftermarket bluetooth radio >>>>> ipad in dashboard
>>
File: 1345520657208.jpg (21KB, 218x265px) Image search: [Google]
1345520657208.jpg
21KB, 218x265px
>I want a tesla head unit
>>
>>15586180

spot the autist
>>
>>15588396
You don't?
>>
>>15588461
Tebeaych I never hated touch screens and it does cool shit. If it came with MPC-HC and hardware 10bit H.264 decoding I'd start saving for one.
>>
>>15588472
>anime in your head unit
why
>>
>>15588436
???
>>
>>15576948
>.10 cents was added to your Apple account
shoo shoo shlomo
>>
>>15579466
how are you going to control it?
>>
>>15588519
>not having anime in your head unit
>>
Nexus 7 better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM3GCuJ1ZqI
>>
>>15576948
>no wifi
>no wifi
>no wifi
>no wifi
>no wifi
>no wifi
>>
>>15576937
My car has an aftermarket pop out screen fro infoitainment system with an ipad mini, i used an ipad because the size fit perfectly not because it's apple particularly, works very well, my car is a BMW 335i E90
>>
I bought a bunch of tools/parts to install my Nexus 7 tablet into my old truck dash. got lazy and never did it. the double din kit dash shit makes it fit. some guy on the nasioc forums made a good guide
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2459432

I've also seen a custom mount made with resin and fiberglass
>>
>>15588035
So you ended up removing it? what problems did it give you exactly? I'm considering doing that in my car
>>
>>15590394
Yes I removed it. I couldn't find a good music player that could handle indexing 100 gigs of mp3s and the main thing was that whenever I would turn off the car and turn it on again, the external storage would unmount and have to be remounted and sometimes re-indexed. I could never find a way around this.
Another issue was the tablet just being kind of slow and unresponsive in general. I thought I was gonna be all cool having maps and an app that links to my cell phone and show text messages on the tablet screen and tons of other shit but it was a lot cooler in my head than it turned out to be.
THere is assloads of information out there though, about using a tablet as a head unit. I learned more about Android than I really wanted to know but I think I am better for it.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.