[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about the future of car standardisation? Do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: images-16.jpg (24KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
images-16.jpg
24KB, 470x313px
What do you think about the future of car standardisation?
Do you think in the future more parts of a car will become interchangeable?
For example, it astounds me that all car radios dont use ISO plugs, they all need a special breed, let alone using a standard din like the germans really tried to push.

The ability to plug and play different parts like lego from your local auto shop (or amazon) would be awesome

What do you think in the future will be standardised like an AR15 or gaming computer components
>>
i like stock radios more.
but i wish they would standardize things like ease of headlight bulb changing. and things like trailer plugs. there are at least 3 different plugs in the usa
>>
Infotainment and diagnostics are killing the dream. Ford runs a bunch of important cabin shit (radio, HVAC, diagnostics) through a brain called the APIM. They had to extend the warranties on a lot of cars on this part because it kept shitting the bed. The pinout is totally propietary. There's problems with standardization:
1) A standard pinout doesn't guarantee everything remains the same. For instance, cars with Ford's last gen infotainment system (MyFord touch) shipped with USB ports that supplied 500mA max power, while the newer version uses USB outs that can supply 1 amp or more. This applies to cars that ship with the older version.

2) Standardizing the pinout doesn't standardize sensors. Older cars especially won't have microphones already in.

3) Manufacturers have been moving towards dash pieces that are essentially un-replaceable. This means they get all the maintenance bucks, and when you want new features in a radio - you have to buy a new car.
>>
>>15569904
I wish they standardised wheel pcds and centre bores
>>
>>15569904
Itd be great if similar sized cars used the same wheel stud pattern
>>
>>15569904
>MACKLEMO
>>
>>15569904
This has already happened a lot with world cars.

Matrix and Vibe are basically the same cars.

Also shit like interchangeable mechanical parts.

Pre 70s, you went into a car dealership, saw a car box basically and where given a checklist. You checked off what you wanted in the car, no packages just 'yes radio, yes v8, no cig lighter' etc Everything that was in the car, was all chosen by you.

This made every car special a little bit, because every car had just a little thing different.

As that got expensive to do because cars got more complicated, parts where shared and instead of options of everything, packages became a thing because it's hard to get that radio working without this automatic headlight, so just call it a tech package and give it as one.

Now world cars show that shit is even more standard, but it will be a while until everything is standard.

Anyway, there's a point here.

Things are gonna be come more and more standard as cars become more and more strained by safety standards and requirements of emissions. As well as market demand still being there largely for 'cheap, reliable, cheap to run'
>>
>>15569904
>What do you think about the future of car standardisation?

That would only help chinese copycats sell cheap gear and drive the OEM suppliers (providing audio parts to the car manufacturer) out of business. But of course you say that is good because you don't care about that?
>>
>>15569904
>What do you think about the future of car standardisation?

I don't like DIN or double-DIN boxy shapes. The ways that the OEM customizes the dash with curved buttons is good. This allows for more custom dashes in each different car model.

If all entertainment packages were forcibly standardized to a DIN or double-DIN package, that would also force dash designs to be less creative and innovative.

I like how the buttons of the radio blend in harmoniously with the environmental controls. The lighting scheme for the letters and numbers and surrounds is also holistic with the rest of the control lighting in the car. All that would be broken up with OP's vision of forced rigid standardization.
>>
>>15574283
>That would only help chinese copycats

Most of those in /o/ support piracy and don't really care if all the usa suppliers go out of business. If the usa companies have to offer a minimum wage and benefits to employees, that is their problem. They should move production to a country that doesn't have that requirement.
>>
>>15569904
Nigga shoulda seen 60s era gm
>>
File: volkswagen-gti-landing.jpg (170KB, 474x315px) Image search: [Google]
volkswagen-gti-landing.jpg
170KB, 474x315px
>>15573129
My grandmother ordered a 1970 Chevelle like this. She ordered it with a three on the tree, and no disc brakes. I learned to drive on that car, and because of that I can drive virtually any car manufactured since 1913. Those days are over, though, but not by much. I drive a MkVI GTI, but I didn't want all the buttons and shit cluttering up the steering wheel. I can adjust the stereo volume just fine using the button on the fucking radio. I was lucky in that VWUSA sold a sripped down version without all the "comfort package" shit. I've come to find out that my car is rare, indeed, because it lacks all the shit that I didn't want or need.
>>
>>15574283
Except that the crap in your car is made in China anyway, plus the Chinks are absolutely incapable of producing quality under their own lead, so anyone with actual standards will still prefer western brands.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.