[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anton Yelchin's parents grieve, sue Fiat Chrysler Automobiles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

>Anton Yelchin's parents spoke out after filing a wrongful death and product liability lawsuit against Fiat Chrysler Automobiles in Los Angeles Superior Court on Tuesday.
>The 27-year-old actor, seen in Star Trek Beyond, was killed by his own car June 19 as he left his home in Studio City, Calif., for a rehearsal... The car rolled back down the steep driveway, pinning him against a brick mailbox pillar and security fence.
>"This vehicle prior to Anton's death had over 700 rolling incidents, dozens of people injured that they knew about," said Dordick. "The problem with the gear shift is that people mistakenly think it's in park and there's no warning."

What're your thoughts on this, /o/? Should people be allowed to sue automakers because they don't know how to use the parking brake? Or is the automaker at fault for making an utterly retarded spring-loaded shifter design?
>>
It's a bit of both, honestly.

It's a retarded design, combined with an easy mistake to make. Unlike literally every other automatic transmission on the market, these are the only ones which spring back to the original position. Unlike typical transmissions where you can gauge what position they're in without looking.
>>
>>15554476

All it takes is a successful #JusticeForAnton campaign from trekkies and FCA will have to hand over the money.
>>
>>15554489
Pretty much this
>>
>>15554489
BMW shifters behave this same way. No one is misunderstanding them and killing themselves. Clearly Chrysler products are bought by stupid people that can't learn how to use their car. That said, it's still a bad design.
>>
>FCA loses so much money they're forced to sell a PF crossover in the US instead of whatever retarded half-minivan/half-truck abomination they were going to replace the Caravan with

pls

desu Anton would have been alive if he simply had a Dart instead.
>>
>>15554476
>murricans literally die because they can't be bothered to use the parking brake
>>
>>15554476
Did they use the e brake?
>>
>>15554489
Masteratis, BMWs, and Audis have shifters like that. Interesting how no one dies from those. I guess if you're dumb enough to buy a Jeep you're dumb enough to kill yourself with it
>>
>>15554590
>>15554528

It's incredible to me that people park 4,000+lb vehicles on steep hills and expect the parking pawl of the transmission to hold their car. The reason BMW and Audi drivers don't die is probably because they're just smarter.
>>
>>15554528
>>15554590
Those are also cars which are of considerably lower volume, and there IS a difference in the quality of the shifter.

I drive valet, and I notice the FCA shifters are a lot more numb than those in Maseratis and BMWs. They don't seem to respond very well, and I'm always extremely careful with the FCA ones compared to a BMW one as absurd as that may sound.
>>
>>15554584
It's pretty obvious he didn't. No article even acknowledges the existence of such a piece of equipment
>>
>>15554590
Those manufacturers also automatically activate the e brake when the door is opened while the car is stationary.
>>
>>15554626
only when the car is stationary im sure
>>
>>15554537
Why does that car look like an ugly version of a volvo?
>>
File: volvo850r.jpg (254KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
volvo850r.jpg
254KB, 1024x768px
>>15554636
Clearly because Volvos are the most beautiful cars in the world.
>>
>>15554476
What car did he use?
>>
>>15554613
>I don't understand mechanical advantage
>>
>>15554699
>I just rely on one thing that wears down over time with heavy use and expect it never to go wrong

Is pushing your foot down on an extra pedal every time you park so hard?
>>
Was the vehicle self radicalized?
>>
File: VCG_V40_0002.jpg (152KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
VCG_V40_0002.jpg
152KB, 1024x576px
>>15554674
I won't agree but the new ones look relatively acceptable.
>>
But there is a warning when it isn't in park, people just don't pay attention.
It doesn't have an electronic parking brake to set itself when the door opens.
They changed the shifter design for 016 MY
>>
>>15554704
My car is a stickshift, and I use the parking brake.

In the auto cars I've driven, I've never had reason to doubt the strength of the parking pawl to hold the car. In fact I've never heard of one spontaneously failing. It usually takes abuse, accident, or a towing fuckup to break one. Most cars can be dragged across pavement while in park.

It's not exactly a wear part either. Without abuse I'd not expect performance to degrade significantly over the life of the transmission.

Yes, it's a good practice to use a parking brake, but it's not at all unreasonable to expect the transmission to hold the car in park, even on a steep slope.
>>
>>15554704
>his car has a parking pedal
>>
>>15554476
wanna know whats wrong with people these days heres a hint if you dont own this car its none of your fucking buisness but argue away retards
>>
>>15554736
The new xc90 is honestly the best looking suv, and with the best interior ever. The only competitor would be a range rover or g-wagen.
>>
>>15554528

Lots of newer BMW's are using electronic parking brakes that engage themselves anyway.
>>
>>15554489
except for the fact that the shifter lever is designed by ZF and also used in Audis.
>>
>>15554528
>bmw transmission automatically puts itself in park if doors are opened
BMW already knows how to save normies, and it's with nanny sensors
>>
File: 1262558954752.jpg (18KB, 157x155px) Image search: [Google]
1262558954752.jpg
18KB, 157x155px
I say we leave it as it is. Let natural selection take over and kill off the stupid.

There is nothing wrong with this lever. You still make the same movement forward every time. You still shove the stick all the way forward every time. You still need to move the gearstick forward three (3) notches forward every time. The starting position does not matter because by the time you go for the gearstick your muscles are used to the position of the wheel and you have to look down to see where to put your hand. The car still buzzes when you open the door and it's not in park. There are two TWO (2) TWO indicators of what gear you're in, along with the AUDIBLE ALERT when you open the door and you're not in park.

The lever is a bit silly and had no point being so gimmiky, but the fact that it's being brought to court because people are so stupid nowadays that they can't operate a lever is just pathetic. This also says something for our society as it is now, the concept of personal accountability is lost and nobody is willing to accept that they did something wrong, it's always someone else's fault.
>>
Yeah nah good on them

if only i could sue ford and jeep for non functioning handbrakes
>>
>>15554765
This. I drive a stick so of course I use the parking brake, but I can honestly say literally no one I know with an auto uses it. Fuck, 99% of the autos I've been in it doesn't even fucking work. I'm not agreeing with the family, but I understand why the car is shit. Believe it or not, most people are not enthusiasts. It's just a fucking a to b tool they own.
>>
>>15554476
It's his own fault. They won't win. Anyone saying it's the car's fault is a fucking idiot.
>>
>>15555837
If you make sure the big fucking P is lit up you don't need the parking brake.

You people act like it fell out of park.. it was never IN park to begin with because he never checked.
>>
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/anton-yelchin-received-jeep-recall-notice-days-after-his-death-w432424
>>
>>15554789
Fucking use punctuation, nigger.
>>
>>15555866
Why are people SO averse to using the parking brake? What is there to lose? When the hell do you use it?
>>
>>15558247

I use my parking break all the time. Mostly because I live in Western NC and there are hills more often than not when you park. Id also rather not have the weight of the car resting on the parking prawl in the tranny since thats the only thing stopping your car from moving and if it breaks then its an expensive fix.

Also, I know on some cars if you dont use your parking break it can get fucked up and not work right if its a cable based design.
>>
>>15554476
>Should people be allowed to sue automakers because they don't know how to use the parking brake? Or is the automaker at fault for making an utterly retarded spring-loaded shifter design?

No on both. Learn to fucking park, america.
if anything, they should sue whoever parked it there and didn't use the handbrake.
>>
>>15554626
This. I work at a shop with drive on lifts and we line ourselves up by opening the door and leaning slightly out the window, not with the new euros. They slam on the brakes as soon as you're moving
>>
what the fuck knd of manual has a shifter that springs back to the neutural position after shifting

that sounds needlessly complicated
>>
File: 1459837380474.jpg (58KB, 479x400px) Image search: [Google]
1459837380474.jpg
58KB, 479x400px
>>15554476
>Chrysler is killing Hollywood
thanks I guess
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.