[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how important is an lsd for daily driving?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: received_10153903985569234.jpg (234KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
received_10153903985569234.jpg
234KB, 2048x1152px
Hi guys, i need your advice. My car came from the factory with an open differential and I recently came upon a deal to install a used after market lsd.

I've used the car in the winter a few times and I never really had any trouble, but if an lsd can help increase traction it would give me a better piece of mind. I always use winter tires but I don't mind going the extra mile.

Pic related, car is a bmw 335i.
>>
Have you driven a LSD car?

non LSD feels like you are driving on ice grip wise.

You literally have double the grip because both wheels drive the car instead of just one at a time allowing you to hoon better

>BMW driver
>Clueless
Thanks for living up to the stereotype
>>
Ive got one in my ranger and it makes it a lot more fun. Also had one in my m3, i couldnt imagine driving around without one.

Dont know how different it would be in a fwd but should be similiar in any case. Youre bmw is rwd though so you should get one
>>
Christ did that car really not come with an LSD? Even my shitstang came with one from the factory.
>>
>>15551491
>Tfw diff fluid is so old in my shitbox that it's viscous enough to be a lsd
>>
>>15551491
A badly installed LSD will give you valve knocking.
>>
Doesn't it make winter driving more difficult?
>>
>>15552105
Yeah that's my question. I know that I'll have to be more careful with throttle modulation to avoid breaking the rear tires loose. but from my understanding the lsd will help with getting unstuck in snow. I'm just wondering if it's worth putting the money down.

I've driven cars with an lsd before, but it was on local dry roads. I couldn't feel much of a difference.
>>
>>15551621
>You literally have double the grip because both wheels drive the car instead of just one at a time allowing you to hoon better
That's not at all how it works.
>>
>>15552015
>A badly installed LSD will give you a shitty trip
FTFY.
>>
>>15552105
Yes.
>>15552289
With an open diff, you just lose traction and spin one tire. The other tire is still in contact with the road and will stabilize your car.
With an LSD, both tires will spin, and the ass end will float around on the ice since neither has traction.

Ice is completely different than mud/off road.

Snow tires will do more in winter than an LSD.
>>
File: 1462447057611.png (66KB, 275x275px) Image search: [Google]
1462447057611.png
66KB, 275x275px
>>15552304
I meant under hard acceleration, deceleration and cornering with the driving wheels.

didnt articulate it very well.
>>
>>15553429
LSD is way better than open in the snow dude. It makes climbing hills way way easier and gives you more control over the attitude of the car.

Spinning one tire is not a good thing, when one tire breaks loose, all of your torque goes to the spinning wheel and none of it goes to the ground. Not to mention you're burning up your spider gears.

Also if you can't control a little power oversteer in the snow, you're a pussy and you don't know how to drive.

t. someone who has actually driven in the snow with both an open and an LSD
>>
File: FB_IMG_1469965688377.jpg (69KB, 1435x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1469965688377.jpg
69KB, 1435x960px
Post cars that have LSD standard for all trims.
>>
Taking lsd is bad while driving
>>
>>15551491
Short answer: it's not important for a DD
>>
Anyone have experience with phantom grip? Was considering them but I'd like to know if it's worth the cash or if I should just put my money towards a quaife
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.