[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My Poor Little '96 Camry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: MuhCamry.jpg (133KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
MuhCamry.jpg
133KB, 1280x960px
Hi friends,

I got my car smogged and the guy told me the fan wasn't clicking on the the engine temp was way too high. I hadn't noticed at all, but I noticed immediately

I got it diagnosed for that just now. For starters, it was a quart low on engine coolant (yikes, I'm an idiot).

But he said he had really bad news.

He tested for exhaust gasses in the cooling system Tested positive for hydrocarbons IMMEDIATELY

He said he would have to removing and testing cylinder heads. He estimated this would cost $2,200

Not only do I not have that kind of money to drop, that's more than the car is worth. And that's just a test, not a fix. I don't think he ever tested the fan...I just picked up the car.

How bad is this? Anything that I can be done. It seems like I have to retire my car...

Any info would be greatly appreciated, I know nothing about cars.
>>
>>15504780
He's pulling your leg, take it somewhere else.
Also radiator fan replacement is pretty easy, do it yourself.
There will be a youtube video explaining it
>>
Its a shitbox, replace the fan/sensor or might even just be a fuse then top it up from time to time. Itll last a long time op just drive it into the ground like the rest of the camry owners
>>
>>15504842
How do I stop the exhaust getting into the cooling system?

That's pretty fucked he recommended 2200 worth of unnecessary work
>>
>>15504815
the fan may not need to be replaced after all, since it was a quart low on oil...

but if exhaust is getting in the cooling system that doesn't sound good at all
>>
>>15504874
>oil

Coolant I mean
>>
>>15504867
Just ignore it its not going to cause a failure anytime soon
>>
>>15504933
are you being serious or are you tryna get the car to blow up on me?
>>
>>15504949
serious. if the car is not valuable (it isn't) and oil and coolant aren't mixing (milky oil or oily coolant) then you have nothing much to worry about because it's not worth fixing. fyi, you could get a mint replacement engine fir $2200

my old volvo used to lose coolant slowly, it would burn up somewhere in the engine, never leaked out. Just checked how much it leaked and got into the rhythm of topping it up every weekend
>>
>>15504991
Ok. My car has been leaking oil for more than a year as well and I just add pretty regularly
>>
>>15504999
that"s fine, if it"s an easy fix (valvecover) then i'd do it but otherwise it's not exactly worth spending lots if you're fine with remembering to check fluids
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.