[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

salvage titles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1468472937395.jpg (50KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
1468472937395.jpg
50KB, 500x379px
so tell me /o/, what is wrong with buying a cheap salvage title vehicle that would be expensive otherwise (for example, a corvette for >5k vs <20k) if i dont intend to ever sell it or anything? granted it not be a broken shitheap of course.
>>
Well assuming it isn't a shit heap then absolutely nothing. But good luck finding one.
>>
Cosmetic damage: Ok
Mechanical Damage: Depends on what kind of damage.
Flood damage: Hell no.
Bio Contamination: NOPE
FIRE Damage: LMAO
>>
>>15502171
ive seen a handful that seemed to fit the bill at first glance

>>15502176
thats mostly what i search for, wear and tear, scratch and dent and vin change because of the least risk of damage
>>
>>15502162
>what is wrong with buying a cheap salvage title vehicle
frame damage
>>
File: 1459793572673.jpg (81KB, 599x536px) Image search: [Google]
1459793572673.jpg
81KB, 599x536px
...if im mistaken they cant be insured either.
>>
>>15502216
Yeah they can
>>
>>15502176
i used to work for a tow company taking cars to auction in orlando for rental companies. it was not uncommon for those things to be written off for being backed into a curb and loose underbody paneling. ive also seen a 1st gen viper that had a gouge in the hood and a curb bite on one wheel that was a total write off.
>>
Salvage titles alone don't tell you a lot about the car

>Civic gets a scrape
>body repair is more than value of the civic
>owner wants to keep it
>Salvage title!

The entire system is broken, but they don't care, because either they charge more to insure a "salvaged" vehicle, or you buy a similar new car...which costs more to insure, or a car that costs less to insure because it's slow and has such piss poor parts compatibility that chop shops don't want it. They win either way. Why bother making a separate status for trivial damage?
>>
If it was salvage title when it was old it-s probably okay. A $2000 car can be totaled if someone just vandalizes it.

If it's a newer sportscar it's probably fucked. You'd have to find out why they totaled it.
>>
>>15502162
>what is wrong with buying a cheap salvage title vehicle that would be expensive otherwise

Let's assume you don't have major body or exterior cosmetic damage. If it is an older used car, chances are the airbags have all gone off. When that is added to the suspension damage from running into a curb with the wheel, that totals even an expensive car. It doesn't take a crash to set the airbags off as the computer has various criteria. There was a youtube video where airbags went off because the car was sliding sideways and two wheels went into the air (no longer spinning while the others on the ground spun with ground movement). That combo caused all airbags to go off in front and rear. That tears seats up, pillars, cracks the front windshield, splits the dash, steering wheel, etc. The airbag computer typically needs replacement. If it is one of the "bad" designs created to force you to not be able to legally drive without airbags, the car's main computer may be down too. That requires the dealer and his secret codes which of course is precious intellectual property.

So you replace the cracked rim, bad tire, arms, strut, bushings, etc. But the more expensive part is on top as you have to replace the airbag-caused problems: torn up dash, broken windshield, torn up seats, steering wheel center cover, pillars, and the 8 to 11 airbags that blew. Then you have to replace the airbag control module and in some cars the computer (oh no that sucks) too.

I had an old 1990's era car like that. Looked new since I had always washed and waxed it frequently and carefully and stored in garage and protected company parking. We have wide spaces and hire solid people so no door dings or love taps. One careless moment running over a curb thing at the side of the road (remnant of 1930's paving?) and that crunched the rim thus setting the airbags off. I'm glad I had the mind to stomp the brakes and the car remained on the road (no hands on steering wheel).
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.