[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paintjob info thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 2000-S10.jpg (63KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
2000-S10.jpg
63KB, 500x332px
I'm new to /o/ and I'm not quite sure if this is the place for it, but I recently got a 2000 Chevy S10 that has an absolutely abysmal paint job (pic unrelated) But I was considering beggining to save money to get it painted, and I was curious as to what the general going rate for paint jobs are, and how long i could expect the process to take. I will post pictures of the actual truck shortly, just dont have any on the comp is all.
>>
>>15486063
Let me guess, the side suicide door is a diffrent color than the rest of the truck?
>>
>>15486091
more like the bottom half is silver, and the upper half is a nasty yellow, I took a picture, but the file size was too large and then my phone died, so I'll transfer it later
>>
Here we are.
>>
File: 20160722_161043.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20160722_161043.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>15486123
Shit, my bad. I always wondered what how the delete post function worked.
>>
>>15486148
oh god thats a gross paint job. sandblast it and rattlecan it up?
>>
>>15486167
ikr, I dont really have any experience in painting, but I was really hoping some paintfag could hopefully give me a general estimate on how much dosh i gotta drop to make it look purdy.
>>
>>15486236
how good a paint job do you want?
>>
>>15486167
No. Jesus Christ no don't ever do this.

First off, sandblasting is for stripping paint back to bare metal. You don't want that. All you want to do is scuff up the current paint to give the new color something to stick to. Also if there is a paint line where the silver meets the yellow you'll want to sand that back till its smooth otherwise that line will show thru the new paint.

Secondly, no matter how many youtube tutorials you watch, rattle can paint jobs always look terrible. Like patchy and shit, and if you did take it back to bare metal it would start rusting thru after a year or so

The paint that's on your truck looks fine OP, and any paintjob under $2k is going to look far far worse. Just leave it as it is.
>>
>>15486254
Maybe just change the yellow to the silver on the bottom
>>
>>15486410
Either that or change it to the paint color like in the OP pic
>>
For the price of a decent paintjob that wont have runs and won't fade or peel off in a few years, you would spend as much as it would take to buy a whole new truck.

That's fine if you want to restore this vehicle to factory fresh, which is a thing I'm wholly behind since old regular vehicles usually end up being rarer than the special snowflakes but somehow I am in doubt that this is your aim.
>>
>>15486453
I'm not really in it to make it brand new, just make it look not like shit. Ya know that feel fampai?
>>
>>15487362
Paint and bodywork is expensive. If you want it done right, its probably the most expensive thing you could spend money on for a vehicle. Really hard to say how much without looking at your truck in person, but if body work is minimal and the paint that's already there is in good shape so the new paint can simply go over it after some sanding, you're probably looking at 2 to 3k for a color change and clear coat. That's for a passable job that won't have orange peel and bugs and shit stuck in it.

As other anons have already said, either learn to live with it or spend the dough. But whatever you do, don't fucking rattlecan it. I promise you will be sorry.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.