[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Experimental Era

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

When you look at US car culture's domestic side, you usually see a few general groups. You have your pre-malaise "no replacement for displacement" muscle cars, normally Chevelles and the such with a bigblock of some sort, this group is also filled with ratrodders and hotrodders, with engines that you would find carbureted. Your have your modern-day sports cars, populated by the Corvettes, Cadillac V-sports, Mustangs, and Hellcats. And while smaller, you have your comfybarge mid 70's, populated by DeVilles and Fleetwoods.

But one era I don't see a lot of is the experimental era, the era where The Big 3 realized that deviating from the norm turned out to be fun and exciting, the mid-late 80's and early 90's. Cars like the Mustang SVO, the Dodge Omni GLH, the first Chrysler minivans, the Taurus SHO's, the Syclone, the AMC Pacer and Eagle, and of course the most legendary car of this era, the Buick Grand National.

This is where I oddly find myself, and maybe I'm not looking well enough, but I don't seem to find a lot of people in this era. Who else has love for the experimental end-of-malaise era?
>>
>>15481875
I dunno, there seems to be plenty of love for that era of cars. It's just that because of their experimental nature, they are more niche, unlike the others which have broader "classic" appeal.
>>
>>15481898
Exactly what he said. There also weren't as many of these "experimental" cars made so rust, common among a lot of old us cars, or accidents really takes a toll on the number er of good examples left
>>
I'm a pretty big fan of turbo Chryslers. Don't currently have room in the garage for one but if a solid one with a 5 speed fell in my lap for like $600 I'd buy it (and that's not unimaginable)
>>
those cars were all abysmal failures that did nothing but chase numbers at best
>>
>>15481928
>GN
>Literally your grandmother's V6 grocery-getter with a turbo
>Spanked a handful of Ferrari's back in it's hayday

>Syclone
>A mexican's lowered V6 pickup also with a turbo
>Spanked another handful of Ferrari's in it's hayday

>Chrysler Minivan
>sold so well that they literally could barely meet demand
>became the template for the daily-friendly kid-hauler, people-hauler, roadtripper, and small contractor's van for decades

>SHO
>"we got this powerful V6 from Mitsubishi, but the project we were gonna put it in went bust. What now?"
>lel slap it in a Taurus, call it an SHO. It'll at least get them out the door
>so well loved that it couldn't meet demand for them at first and they ended up buying more engines
>the current-gen Taurus has an SHO trim.
>>
>>15481925
>tfw no Omni-swapped Rampage
>>
>>15482011
>SHO V6
>Mitsubishi
>>
>>15482011
yawn

1/4 means nothing

GN and Syclone were pieces of shit that could only manage somewhat decent times at it

Caravan didnt do anything that hadnt already been done sure it was a success Ill give you that

SHO used a Yamaha V6 1st off
and it was a FWD poor mans BMW
so yeah of course it sold

all the turbo shit was unpopular and failed
>>
File: dodge-caravan-1.jpg (131KB, 1280x782px) Image search: [Google]
dodge-caravan-1.jpg
131KB, 1280x782px
>>15481925
the K-cars were pretty good daily-friendly cars in it's day. Personally I have a weird desire to get a turbovan, one with a 5-speed. But finding one that came with this factory that hasn't been turned into a dragster is hard. I'd debate that it's harder than finding a GNX.
>>
>>15482029
>>15482040
Right, Yamaha, my bad. I'm used for Ford being in Mitsubishi's pants so often that I mixed it up.
>>
>>15482057
>I'm used for Ford being in Mitsubishi's pants so often that I mixed it up.

wat

that was Dodge

Ford and Mazda was otp
>>
>>15482040
>Caravan didnt do anything that hadnt already been done

See now that's just wrong. There was nothing like the minivan on the market at the time. People wanted cabin space, but you had stationwagons which had the same cabin space in the seating area as a sedan, then you moved up straight to a full-size van. That's why the Caravan sold like hotcakes. It was big enough to have lots of room, but it wasn't a behemoth. Unibody construction kept weight down, FWD helped with fuel economy, and as such the whole package was more daily-friendly
>>
>>15482068
Man

I'm way off my game tonight, holy shit. I keep forgetting who's in who's pants.
>>
>>15482044
gus mahon agrees
>>
>>15482110
it was just a modernized passenger van

the idea had been around forever
>>
File: DSC_0359.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0359.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>15481875
im in the same group, OP.
dont forget the Ford Merkur, the weird Charger and Daytona.
>>
File: end my suffering stanced miata.png (1MB, 750x1009px) Image search: [Google]
end my suffering stanced miata.png
1MB, 750x1009px
>>15482068
>>15482115
>tfw no quad rotor mustang
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.