[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would happen if high compression pistons were installed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 2007-hyundai-getz-13_800x0w.jpg (87KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
2007-hyundai-getz-13_800x0w.jpg
87KB, 800x533px
What would happen if high compression pistons were installed in a random engine with no other modifications to support it whatsoever?

Let's assume they clear the valves and the cylinders can withstand the increased pressure.
>>
>>15481567
this is a joke right?
>>
>>15481584
This has to be. Pre-Detonation is like premature ejaculation...no fun cums from that.
>>
>>15481584
No. I'm serious.

OK, timing should be fiddled with, that's the only thing I know.
>>
>>15481601
You'd also wanna run some high octane gas.

Assuming your ECU doesn't throw a bitchfit.
>>
>>15481637
Alright. And, that would be it?

Not looking to do anything with an engine, this is just theoretical.
>>
>>15481567
>First gen Integra D16A1 blacktop pistons into a SOHC D16Y8.
>Combo also works with many other SOHC D16 engines.
>Will net about 13:1 compression
>At least mail order tune is required, better fuel pump recommended
>Will put engine at about 130 wheel hp.
>Not much, but the build is usually done because somebody already has the motor, and the pistons can be had at a junkyard for about 40$ for a set.
>Will be roughly the output of a B16 swap for less money.
>>
>>15481661
Well, if you can futz with some timing, run higher octane gas...
...oh and see if you can't manage to make the injectors vomit more. All that compression won't mean shit (and risk detonation) if it's gonna run lean.
>>
>>15481682
Cool. Thanks.

>>15481670
Interesting.
>>
File: Image039-2.jpg (159KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Image039-2.jpg
159KB, 960x1280px
>>15481670
ive done this exact build

d16a6 block, z6 head p29 pistons look like mountains compared to stock.

No valve clearance issues but compression was 13.2 with an un-milled head. Putting a y8 head on there would net 14+.

Detonation was a very real problem at all rpm ranges, especially very low tip in throttle where it detonated constantly. 91 octane was not nearly enough to keep it from detonating. About six months after it was built and some minor driving it finally broke all of the ring lands on the pistons and started smoking.

I would not suggest anything above 12:1 for a street driven machine unless you have a cam that can bleed off some of the dynamic low rpm compression.
>>
>>15482088
You'd have to get fucchueg injectors and fuel pump to run e85 to get a high octane and cheap fuel.

Also there are high comp pistons on Ebay for about 120 American diggery doos a set. I definitely thought about it.
>>
>>15482348
on an all motor engine 450's would be more than enough fuel even with e85. a single walbro 400 or bosch 044 would flow plenty.

The biggest issue is the compression at low rpm's where these engines detonate the worst. plus p29's are cast making them even more prone to breakage.

Skip p29's in fact skip high compression all motor all together, turbo is so much easier to tune and deal with on a daily basis it makes zero sense to go all motor. As they say, NA is an expensive way to go slow.
>>
>>15483082
NA costs about $500 and an afternoon though
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.