[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turbo Blanket, yay or nay?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 695595260_453.jpg (88KB, 662x491px) Image search: [Google]
695595260_453.jpg
88KB, 662x491px
Pros & Cons?

Pro:
>less heat on the surrounding parts - really true?
>hotter exhaust gasses make more power
>cooler intake air = more power
Con:
>Turbo becomes hotter - could this kill my turbo?

Just thinking about this I'd say it makes sense if you also install heat shielding for the intake and also install an oil cooler - if the car doesn't have one already.

Am I missing anything? What's your opinion?

>pic was just something from google image search
>>
Heat shields are generally better, I've seen turbos stay red hot after hard running for up to 10min under a blanket- which will cause oil to pool and burn in some types
>>
>turbo blanket meme

This shit only makes a difference in the most demanding cases (think 80s 24 H of Le Mans)
>>
File: 1426901213253.jpg (189KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1426901213253.jpg
189KB, 960x720px
Would the downpipe and the rest of the exhaust system become considerably hotter?

I read that on turbo engines it's not a good idea to wrap the manifold in heat shielding tape. Why? And does this include the downpipe?
>>
>>15480335
#turbolivesmatter
>>
>>15480343
too much heat.. danger to manifold etc

your floor pans will fall off
>>
>>15480332
That's what I was worrying about: The heat trapped in there when the engine is off.
Would driving it "cool" be enough, though?

The thing is, I can see the Pro arguments but there's too much risk, right?
>>
File: danger to manifold.gif (258KB, 375x167px) Image search: [Google]
danger to manifold.gif
258KB, 375x167px
>>15480348
nice one
>>
>>15480349
Yep, a cooling run or a turbo timer would do it, I'm not really a fan of timers though, think I've got a small mountain of shitty jap turbo timers somewhere that where more annoying than anything else
>>
>>15480348
>tfw you blow all the pistons in your RX7
>>
File: 640x960[1].jpg (248KB, 640x857px) Image search: [Google]
640x960[1].jpg
248KB, 640x857px
>>15480370
>>
>>15481032
wat is this?
>>
>>15481082
Boosted apex seals
>>
>>15480317
A con is that you have more heat soak of the oil in the turbo after you turn the engine off. Your oil and its additives will certainly fail faster since more of it will get destroyed by the heat soak.

The fallacy here is "More is Better". Doing more (ie, buying a turbo blanket) is not a good thing to do. If you have that concern of less heat on surrounding parts, then get a heat shield between the turbo and the item that benefits from shielding.
>>
>>15480317
Seems like the real questions are:

Do nothing or choose between a turbo blanket or a heat shield?
>>
File: M92725546.jpg (171KB, 800x556px) Image search: [Google]
M92725546.jpg
171KB, 800x556px
For the aforementioned reasons, a shield is better for a street car.
>>
>>15480317
Just use a heat shield.

They stopped making insulated battery boxes because the heat would stay in and destroy the batteries. Similarly, the turbo needs to cool off properly.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.