[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time working on a turbo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: turbo1.jpg (116KB, 525x934px) Image search: [Google]
turbo1.jpg
116KB, 525x934px
The bearing was shot on this one, and it allowed oil to mix with air before passing through the engine, as well as letting the impellers shake around inside the housing, chewing up the blades and gouging the housing a little bit. The exhaust side looks pretty good, just covered in unburnt oil.

This whole engine is all sorts of fucked up right now, but my question is do I need a new intake housing now that it's slightly damaged?

I'd to just pulling a junkyard turbo and replacing it altogether, but my dad thinks he can rebuild it and buy a new intake impeller.
>>
File: turbo2.jpg (104KB, 525x934px) Image search: [Google]
turbo2.jpg
104KB, 525x934px
Here you can see where the blades dug into the housing.
>>
hello?
>>
>>15479508
It depends on how chewed up it is. As long as the new impeller spins freely I would say it's fine. There may be a slight loss in efficiency since the surface isn't smooth but it's probably negligible.
>>
>>15479508

It is junk m8, you will never be able to get that compressor wheel to be correctly balanced.
>>
>>15479854
How can you tell?
>>
>>15479508
you don't *need* a new housing but the damage might affect performance slighly.

>>15479854
he's saying he's gonna fit a new compressor wheel, or at least that that's what his dad suggested

>>15480022
just look at it lad
>>
>>15480112
I know that the fan blades are completely fucked. We'll get a new compressor wheel. I'm just unsure if you meant that the housing and other parts around it will prevent it from ever being balanced again.
>>
>>15480582
I don't think that guy knows what he's talking about. Just rebuild it and if it's still fucked buy another one that needs rebuilt. You will already have the parts to fix it.
>>
you can bore it out and fit a bigger wheel if you want rid of that gouge
>>
>>15479508
>buy a new intake impeller.
How is this even a question? The junkyard turbo would be cheaper and have an undamaged housing. Your father is fucking moron.
>>
>>15480826
Calm down bub, it's his first time even owning a turbo let alone working on one. He's been working on carburetors all his life and i need to remind him that everything is injected now. He's old school.
>>
>>15480826
You're a fucking faggot.

You can offer advice without it. Being rude doesn't make you appear any smarter.
>>
>>15480872
he's just mad his dad never taught him how to work on cars
>>
>>15480872
Without what?
>>
>>15480582
Do you have a turbo balancer? Because if not, that thing will destroy the bearings in about 2 minutes if you just whack a random compressor wheel on it.
>>
>>15481156
That involves milling and lathing right?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.