[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Auto insurance?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: AP-Progressive1.gif (30KB, 272x259px) Image search: [Google]
AP-Progressive1.gif
30KB, 272x259px
I know nothing about auto insurance. I've had state farm for 10+ years, since I was in HS. But they're kind of dicking me on a claim, I'm still hoping my agent changes their mind but if I get screwed I'll obviously have to switch. But i have no idea how buying insurance works, so some questions:

My policy is to renew August 1. How long did it take to get a new policy, can i switch companies before August 1? If not, how easy is it too cancel my renewed state farm policy for whatever my new company would be?

Outside of Allstate, Progressive, Nationwide and Geico, there's a lot of little insurance companies. Are they legit? Will they fuck me over on a claim? I don't mind paying a little extra of I have piece of mind that i won't get fucked over. Ironically that's one reason I stayed with SF, other places were a little cheaper but I felt like SF was less likely to rip me off. Now well have to see.

Anything else I should know? Are quotes negotiable or is it take it or leave it?
>>
>>15467158
go with a cheap one
become a better driver
>>
>>15467158
Progressive is great UNLESS you added or have anything that's not stock. They have a $500 limit on non-stock. Their trailer policies are shit too.

Prices vary with state.

Also don't let them screw you. Any adjuster will fuck you hard when you're young/stupid if they can, there is a lot you can do if you didn't sign anything yet.
>>
I just got triple A renewed on a beater car and my 240z, it's like 1000 year for both + 80 for membership that has 100 mile tow.

SF was double that.
Clean record
>>
>>15467177
Well my latest claim happened while my car was parked so being a better driver won't help.

>>15467191
My car is all stock. I've heard good things about progressive so far, nobody I talked to sounded like they got ripped off so I'll definitely be considering them.
>>
>>15467158
Progressive has good rates but that is because they re-evaluate your policy continually and adjust the rates each month. They withdraw insurance charges from your bank account directly each month. If the rate changes, they send you a notice in email of the new rate, otherwise they are fairly silent after the first three months.

So it is a reasonably intelligent online type company. The first three months get you used to the system so that is why they send a lot more emails during that time. Their online site lets you print out insurance "cards" for you to carry in the car glovebox and wallet as proof of insurance. Not all states accept consumer-printed proof of insurance, so they have an option to send by postal mail some cards they print out. Be aware of your state law as to what is considered proof of insurance.

One /o/ poster tried in vain to get the officer to accept as proof the website confirmation of his insurance account. He logged in to his account and that should be enough valid evidence, but NO. Ticket. He went to court and the judge of course accepted his website account login at the insurance company which listed out his current coverage. The judge then tossed out the ticket for not having valid proof of insurance in the car. That was of course up to the judge's kindness because that state didn't accept "e-proof" at that time. So the judge could have applied the letter of the law.

Progressive can use Onstar to get evidence of your driving as seen in >>15406966
>>
>You pay a company monthly for TEN years
>Some 9 to 5 no life desk faggot fucking you over on a claim

Kek this is why I don't bother with insurance. Just drive safe.
>B-but what if some one hits you! BUT what if what if

Stop living in fear pussy
>>
File: 1468801484190.gif (919KB, 170x196px) Image search: [Google]
1468801484190.gif
919KB, 170x196px
>>15468473Y
>someone hits your parked shitbox
and flees
Yfw no insurance
>>
>>15470003
Yup, that's where I'm at right now. Some asshole hit my car while it was parked and ran. $3,000+ damage. I'm hoping if State Farm does end up fucking me over that I can negotiate that down a bit, especially since IDGAF about cosmetics and just need my car to run well.

>>15468473
>You pay a company monthly for TEN years
That's what really gets me about this, and I'm hoping that they do change their mind (my agent is talking to the claims department and I'll find out in a day or two). One of the reasons I never bothered switching insurance is that a lot of companies value customer loyalty and are less likely to fuck over the customers that are with them for a while. We'll see what happens here.
>>
>>15470178
Damn bro, $3000 damage? Wtf did they hit?

I'm also dealing with a parked hit and run on my G37. Hit my rear bumper and trunk, around $1000 damage. Bout to take it for a full damage estimate. Have a $500 deductible. Meh. I have AAA, parents been members for like 25+ years. They treat us good and fair, have had to deal with 2 claims for myself and my mom, both went smoothly and hassle-free. AAA gives all kinds of perks, like free towing any car (yours, your friends, etc), DMV services for you, etc. That as far as I know others don't for paying more.
>>
I am interested in this bread because I'm shopping around too. Right now, Geico has the cheapest rate for me, but I just started looking. Things that are important to me are:
>uninsured motorist coverage
>property damage coverage
>collision (but $1,000 deductible)
>comprehensive (but $1,000 deductible)
>towing/road side assistance
>100,000/300,000 personal and passenger injury
>>
>>15470557
Hit the front right. The whole car is only $8k so having 3k damage sucks. At first it didn't look bad and i thought it was all cosmetic, but apparently the headlight had something break behind it so now that headlight needs to be replaced. I think that's a lot of the cost.
If SF won't cover it I'll probably try taking to the body shops, see if I can get a cheaper deal especially since cosmetics don't matter to me so any dents etc can stay as long as the car runs fine
>>
>>15473093
Front left I mean, drivers side
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.