[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trailer towing questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
Anyone on here tow a travel trailer around with a half ton pickup?

I own a paid for 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 with a 5.3L Vortec and tow package. I'm thinking about buying a reasonably sized travel trailer next year, and am planning on using my current truck to pull it, and am wondering if anyone on here has some wisdom to impart on the subject, useful truck upgrades, stories, stuff like that (aside from buy a bigger truck).

Image relevant, but shamelessly cribbed from the Internet.
>>
If it has the tow package, it should have a proper frame hitch, not just a shitty bumper hitch.
>>
File: hitches-header.jpg (68KB, 710x300px) Image search: [Google]
hitches-header.jpg
68KB, 710x300px
>>15429642
The 5.3 will tow it no problem.

The only way I would be worried is if you had a 4.8.

Towed a 23' travel trailer with a 4.6L F-150. (Trailer only weighs ~5000, tow capacity is ~6000).

Had a $500 hitch with all the antisway shit though.
>>
>>15429778

It has the proper frame hitch reciever below the bumper. It can pull 7500 pounds according to the manual with the setup I have.
>>
>>15429862

How did it ride with that hitch? Did you get a lot of rear end dip? I'm thinking about maybe airbags or an add a leaf spring setup, or something like that to help level it all out.
>>
>>15429642
>images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
>>
>>15429897

The search engine with the worst name in the history of the world.
>>
File: 20151014_143455.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151014_143455.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>15429888
Wasn't bad at all.

They set the tow ratings where they know people will overload them by 10% - 15%. (Lawsuit reasons and such).
>>
>>15429982

Cool, thanks for the info.
>>
If you are really worried about overloading the rear end get this style hitch http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Reese/RP66084.html
>>
>>15430183
My dad's 1500 chebby towed a 32' enclosed car trailer with that and he was on the edge of its capabilities. Said if he didn't have that hitch he would not tow it.
>>
>>15429642
I tow a travel trailer all the time with my half ton with 4.8L. Regular cab, long bed but it has the tow package too. The only thing I'd suggest is a bigger transmission cooler. I have the 3/4 ton gauge cluster that has the trans temp gauge. Before the bigger cooler, it would get to about 210 or 220 when towing. With the cooler, its probably about 180 all the time, regardless if I'm towing or not. Cheap insurance compared to a trans rebuild.
>>
>>15430215

That's good to know. I was wondering how well the stock cooler works.

I never understood why the 1500s didn't come with a temperature gauge as a part of the tow package. A friend of mine had a 1500HD of around the same year, and it came with it.

Is the cooler you put on aftermarket, or is it just from a heavier version if the truck?
>>
Learn to back the bitch up before you get it to your destination.
>>
Electric cooling fans and transmission/oil cooling units if you're gonna tow and the very top end of your trucks capabilities, other wise just a tune up to make sure you're running as well as possible would work
>>
>>15430291
It's an aftermarket one. IIRC, it was the biggest one that B&M sells. I got it off amazon for like 100 bucks on sale and spent an afternoon installing it. Not hard at all. Look up youtube videos for help.

BTW, the gauge cluster out of the heavier trucks that have the trans temp gauge is plug n play in a regular 1500. The temp sender is already in the trans and all the wiring is there. Makes no sense GM would put all that in the truck and then not include the actual gauge itself.
>>
>>15429642
Be mindful and make damn sure you are properly equipped for 7500lbs. Average "tow package" on 1/2 tons is 6k... max. the 7500 number has to match exactly what you have on the truck.
>Class IV hitch
>Upgraded coolers, HD tranny optional
>Correct gear ratio matching numbers in manual.

If one of these things are not what the book says you need, then you CANNOT tow more than 6,000lbs safely. If you do, you're a fucking mexican who needs to get his lawn equipment to and from jobs.

Source: Work at Uhaul. I install, inspect, and service hitches.

Most of the time I deny towing to niggers and mexicans, They always wanna use their pos 1500 silverado to tow a crown victoria or other pickup...
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.