[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Dead driver's car displayed outside Parliament"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36761849

>"Joseph Brown-Lartey died as his vehicle was split in half by a car driven by Addil Haroon in Rochdale in 2014"

Pic related

>"According to a poll commissioned by the charity, 66% of people believe drivers who kill should be jailed for a minimum of 10 years.
The survey of 1,000 people also found 91% believe drivers who cause a fatal crash after drinking alcohol or taking drugs should be charged with manslaughter, which carries a possible life sentence."

What are you thoughts on those proposed sentences? Personally I'm all for it, serious driving offences like that in the UK are a fucking joke.
>>
>according to a poll commisioned by people strong enough to donate money to the idea

yeah nah fuck off, considering most murder charges barely go over 10 years in the UK, it's stupid to have that high of a sentence for what is basically vehicular manslaughter.
>>
My mate went to school with Haroon. Says he was an arrogant paki cunt.
>>
>>15421199

>Brake

Disregarded. They are a joke, no one takes them seriously.

Shame about the guy who died though, that paki twat should have the book thrown at him.
>>
>>15421199
Isn't the sentence for death by dangerous driving 14 years?
>>
>>15421234
>Shame about the guy who died though, that paki twat should have the book thrown at him.

That's what the thread is supposed to be about lol. But yeah I do think Brake seen to be on the same level as NIMBY people
>>
>>15421275
Which is seriously low considering manslaughter can be a life sentence tariff in the UK.
>>
>>15421199
>drivers who kill should be jailed for a minimum of 10 years.

If they are drunk/drugged, yes. And never receive a driving license ever again.
If they're not inebriated...depends. No blanket statements.
>>
OP here. What's the penalty for death by careless/dangerous driving where you all live?
>>
>>15422351
>penalty for death by careless/dangerous driving where you all live?
Califag here. If you have been drinking then you are looking at years in prison, even if you are not at fault. If not drinking, then it's just an accident lol, no penalties, even if you are at fault.
>>
>>15422374
>If not drinking, then it's just an accident lol, no penalties, even if you are at fault.

Please tell me this is a joke?
>>
>>15421199
>drivers who kill should be jailed for a minimum of 10 years
difficult to prove in most cases, because it's rarely as simple as "car hits unsuspecting pedestrian".
>>
>>15422351
Germany. I believe it's 5 years prison for involuntary manslaughter with an option of probation. No probation if drunk/high.
>>
It should be classified as manslaughter since drunken people are usually not in full control of themselves. Changing laws will just make more problems
>>
>>15421199
How about we just make it all around more difficult to get and keep a license. I can't speak for the UK but any warm body that can pass a vision test can get a license in the US. Every day I see someone doing something flat out retarded on the road. Even just a general skill reevaluation every few years would drastically decrease fatalities.
>>
>>15422472
The first time pass rate in the UK was something like 47% nationally when I passed almost 2 years ago, with some places in London having something like a 30% first time pass rate. Shit like parallel parking, bay parking, reverse round a corner, emergency stops etc can be tested, as well as showing awareness of what's around the driver, not hitting kerbs/anything (instafail). And the driver has to know how to test things like the indicator lights and brake lights before setting off. I think it helps that the test is never shorter than 45 mins.

There's a reason why you can exchange British licenses for American or Canadian ones, but not usually the other way around
>>
>>15422374
>unless you are wealthy
Ftfy
>>
>>15422374
>>15422389
I'd assume a sober driver could catch a murder charge over a road fatality if acting with malice or intent, or maybe if the they are just really egregiously negligent.

Most accidents are still accidents though, even if someone is liable I don't think it should be equivalent to a murder.

>>15422472
There's plenty of stupid shit on the road, but once in a while you'll also see a (female) driver who's clearly dangerously underskilled just in maneuvering a vehicle. People who can't hold a lane, or stop on a line, or cleanly make a corner. Basic shit that even our current testing should address... makes you wonder how often driving test examiners are getting supplementary income or road head during their shifts.
>>
>>15421199
no justice no peace!

Car chassis matter!
>>
>>15421199
>91% of people believe

Fuck that, 91% of any people do not have the cognitive capacity to deliberate an appropriate punishment for even a parking ticket, much less vehicular manslaughter
>>
File: 1426956100838.gif (3MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1426956100838.gif
3MB, 300x169px
>>15422589
Also on top of that every state has its own way of punishment for the same crimes. Including what this guy says >>15422537
google Ethan Couch and rage hard. God bless texas indeed.
>>
>>15422742
>Ethan Couch
Oh wasn't he the "affluent" guy who wiped out a family driving an SUV aged 16?
>>
>>15422968
>>15422742
Affluenza *

Shitcunt autocorrect
>>
File: IMG_1894.jpg (51KB, 480x315px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1894.jpg
51KB, 480x315px
>>15422972
Yup. Got off with 10 years of probation because the defense argued that because he was such a rich spoiled cunt he didnt know the difference between right and wrong.

...and it worked.

Now hes up because they caught him drinkin and smokin and then tried to flee to mexico. So hes sentenced to 2 years....this country is indeed a fucking cartoon.
>>
>>15423090

Bet his parents are proud of that lol, to have that much of a public fuck up
>>
sometime you just have to drive drunk because of circumstance

accidents happen

i look at it as a social issue, even the president drove drunk once i'm sure

i am not offering a solution, merely an explanation
>>
At this point people should be rewarded for killing others in car accidents that they manage to survive.
>>
>>15422351
I know someone whose aunt got killed by a stupid bitch who ran a red. She was texting, so she wasn't paying attention when she smashed into his aunt's car. No charges.

also I'm from CA
>>
>>15423176
"In court, he admitted causing death by dangerous driving, causing death whilst unlicensed, causing death whilst uninsured and dangerous driving."

He wasn't drunk, by I see where you're coming from.

Like I've driven while highly likely over the limit of alcohol because I got called into work when I didn't expect to (fuck 0 hour contracts) and such short notice I couldn't have gotten there without driving myself, and there was no one that could give me a lift.

Man, sobering up at work was not fun. Especially as I was drunk enough to not be able to speak like I usually do.

0/10 don't do it
>>
>>15421199
this should apply to all distracted driving, not just impaired driving
>>
>>15421199
>The survey of 1,000 people also found 91% believe drivers who cause a fatal crash after drinking alcohol or taking drugs should be charged with manslaughter, which carries a possible life sentence."

I don't agree with this.
There is a difference between the guy driving home that had a glass and wine with a dinner at a restaurant, and the guy whos fucking hammered driving recklessly.
>>
>>15421223
No different to all the other paki cunts then.
>>
File: 1442876107091.gif (608KB, 150x113px) Image search: [Google]
1442876107091.gif
608KB, 150x113px
>>15421199
>The survey of 1,000 people
Kek what a joke
Survey was probably done in london too no less
>>
>>15421234
>Pakis and nogs killing each other

Typical day in bongland, ey chap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAexMc8FL6I
>>
>>15422389
Old people kill people ALL THE TIME and don't even get a traffic violation. As long as you aren't drunk it doesn't matter "oh they didn't mean to do it! It was pedal confusion!" Some ancient woman drove over multiple sidewalks and through a gym a few months ago killing a woman on a treadmill, the driver didn't even get taken down to the station.
>>
>>15423176
>even the president drove drunk once i'm sure

The president of my country actually did drive drunk and crashed, "thankfully" it was all covered up later. This was before the guy was actually a president tho.

Such is life in Eastern Pooroupe.
>>
>>15423627
Ted Kennedy killed a woman driving drunk and got off scot free. He actually left the woman in the car underwater, left the scene, and didn't report it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chappaquiddick_incident
>>
>middle aged lady out drinking with husband
>drives home later in the night
>husband drives different car to follow her home to make sure she is home safe
>lady hits 2 kids riding bikes, killing one of them
>She blames they werent wearing refelctors even though they were
>cops dont breathalyze, dont check anything
>Sues the kids parents for emotional trauma

This happened in ontario, not sure how it all panned out
>>
>>15421199
>What are you thoughts on those proposed sentences?
I agree 100%.

If you drive drunk and kill someone you deserve a life sentence. Maybe more people will think twice.
>>
>>15423639
>middle aged lady out drinking with husband
>they drive separate cars

This is the weirdest part of the story... to me. Everything else is so commonplace for me to even care.
>>
>>15423331
1000 people is an acceptable sample size

Take a stats class you fucking retard
>>
>>15423647
Husband was also a a local cop, so it just makes it so sketchy. Finding the source story again it makes me laugh at the people she sued.
She sued the 3 boys, the dead kids parents, and the county for not maintaining roads. This lady is COLD

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/25/driver-that-struck-teen-suing-dead-boys-family

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/10/teen-injured-by-suv-upset-driver-is-suing-him-too
>>
>>15423664
Maximum damage control.
>>
>>15422351
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtRR4neV3K4

This drunk bitch killed a 21yo girl in the other car, she's about to get 4 to 10 years. People were outraged here.
>>
how disrespectful

i bet his family is pissed that they parade his dead body around for attention
>>
>>15423649
1000 people is only an acceptable sample size if it is geographically representative.
>>
File: typicalpolishroadside.jpg (186KB, 990x660px) Image search: [Google]
typicalpolishroadside.jpg
186KB, 990x660px
>>15423681

>you`re now entering Boland
>>
>>15423621

That just seems so wrong to me. They were behind the wheel of a vehicle that has caused serious injury or death, and nothing comes of it?

How are Americans and Canadians etc not concerned about this? Do they have the Indian approach where they're like "if I die today so be it"?
>>
>>15423942
I know I don't share in that belief. I think people over the age of 65 should have to take a driving test like the ones teenagers take (with somewhat different criteria ie cognitive ability) to ensure the old bats are safe to fucking drive. But no muh freedoms.
>>
>>15422472
this is normally done by making it financial hell because any skill-based test is ultimately ruled as racism or sexism, so no fucking thanks

>YOU FORGOT TO PAINT OVER THAT RUST SPOT HERE'S A $5000 TICKET
>TIRES LOOKING A LITTLE WORN THERE
>DO YOU HAVE SERVICE RECORDS FROM ACTUAL MECHANICS? NO? OUR CAR NOW.
>>
>>15423942
Freak accidents happen. It can be difficult to conclusively attribute blame to a driver unless there's something obvious like impairment.

I'd think that most Americans would support retesting the old farts at a certain age, but it'd be political suicide to propose such measures. In the US, at least, retired people have free time and thus a disproportionate amount of voting and lobbying power.
>>
>>15424871
Tru.
Americas car laws are awesomely relaxed. From reading about the UK laws im kinda glad that were pretty lax about our shit. Im free to mod the dogshit outta my car. I can request a license renewal on line no DMV. Fuck i dont even have to do emissions. If it wasnt for the noise i could probably run open headers around here.
>>
>>15424932
The only problem is that we let anything with a pulse drive anything with four wheels
>>
>>15421199
If his steering wheel was on the correct side he probably would have lived fahm
>>
>>15425097
I will agree that is the (a) downside
>>
>>15423207
>being on call for work
>still intoxicating yourself

The problem with on-call is that you're essentially never off work, but you don't get paid to wait around. Still, expecting not to be called in when you are clearly under expectation to be called in is juvenile, at best.
>>
>>15423649
Oh look, a fucking retard speaks up.
>>
>>15423664
That is fucked up.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.