[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 63

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

>4th of July Edition

>Ask /o/ questions that are either sensible or stupid here.
>Also answer to questions if you know them.

Last QTDDTOT - >>15327739
>>
File: xdjYcUK.jpg (248KB, 800x914px) Image search: [Google]
xdjYcUK.jpg
248KB, 800x914px
I put a new intake and exhaust on my car, what do I need to tune? Do I just get one of them things that plug into the OBD port and I'm good to go?
>>
File: 349.png (14KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
349.png
14KB, 800x600px
When does it become worth it to get methanol water injection?
>>
File: 20160704_120918.jpg (2MB, 4000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
20160704_120918.jpg
2MB, 4000x2250px
How do I make this bitch go fast?

It has a 3.8L V6 in it.
>>
>>15382725
Youll need to get a shop to properly flash your ECU.

Even with the off the shelf Tunes.
>>
>>15382984
increase compression and tweak with ecu
>>
>>15382984
Drive it off a cliff.
>>
>>15382945
When you can combine it with a tune that will take advantage of the lower intake air temperature. What car are we talking about, and what mawdz have you done?

>>15382984
Supercharger, duh.
>>
>>15382945
When you have a shitload to throw away on such things, or when you have pesky mustangs flying into the fatherlands airspace in your airspace and need that extra boost to show him how the Luftwaffe kick ass.
>>
>>15383037
>>15382945
Alternatively, when you've got a boosted engine and no easily available high octane fuel.
>>
What are the chances of a cam belt breaking when it's brand new with only a few hundred miles on it?

I don't know shit about shit so no bully please.
>>
How do I tougay when there are no good canyon runs in Orange County?
>>
>>15383054
Small to none. Smells like improper installation or faulty part.
>>
>>15383055
You need to ask yourself why you live in California or New York in the first place.
>>
File: 64211_Front_3-4_Web.jpg (148KB, 1000x715px) Image search: [Google]
64211_Front_3-4_Web.jpg
148KB, 1000x715px
>>15383096
It's where my job needs me to be. I'm not a muh prius librul. In fact I'm saving up for an old Camaro to restore .
>>
File: 4chan_debate.jpg (22KB, 331x331px) Image search: [Google]
4chan_debate.jpg
22KB, 331x331px
>>15382658
why is this board almost entirely shitposting at this point? If it's not Corvette vs GTR shitposting then it's Ecoboost shitposting, and occasionally someone trying to defend stance. Can't we have civil discussions anymore?
>>
File: 1467661241695.jpg (3MB, 4000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
1467661241695.jpg
3MB, 4000x2250px
>>15382984
Each cm adds up 2 hp.
>>
File: 643523434.gif (534KB, 500x270px) Image search: [Google]
643523434.gif
534KB, 500x270px
>>15383145
>Can't we have civil discussions anymore?
>"""anymore"""

Did this place ever have civil discussions for some prolong period without someone farting liquid diarrhea in the thread? its like some shithole ghetto with niggas bustin caps in each others asses almost every day of the week. only here, it seems to happen almost every hour (with brief days of peace in-between on occasion).

/ck/ and even /k/ seem to be a lot more well behaved (involving the topic at hand anyway) and you don't get the sense that theirs a gang war going on and the gangs have to have their graffiti sprayed on each block and if you call them out on it they assume you're with the opposing gang.

We're the bad part of the city that is 4chan boys and its only ever going to get worse.
>>
>>15383359
shut the FUCK up
>>
>>15382658
That car
>one day
>>
>>15383055
Ha! There aren't any canyon runs outside of Japan dumbass.
>>
Is there any reason to buy an aftermarket clutch (and flywheel) instead of an OEM set? I need a replacement and am wondering if a few extra hundred spent here will be a good idea.
>>
>>15383359
/o/ has always been like this even way back before Treequinox.

And beyond that Car culture emulates the same attitudes and Fandom as Sports teams do, just its with car brands instead.

I get the sense you've never had any car buddies.
>>
>>15383439
When you increase or plan to increase power yes.
>>
>>15383439
Yes, if your stock clutch isn't holding up to the power your engine is producing. So, if you've got significant modifications (or plan to do them in the future) go for an aftermarket clutch.

Lighter flywheel will improve throttle response, but it'll make driving your car harder in traffic.
>>
Does anyone have any good recommendations for shipping a car cross-country (in the US)? I recently moved from chicago to new york but for the moment I'm storing my car at my parent's place. I'm not entirely sure it would make the 12-hour drive in one go, and I think it might be cheaper to have it delivered than pay for a plane ticket back, then pay for 800 miles of gas.
>>
>>15383466
If he has a Dual mass fly wheel it may actually make it easier to deal with in traffic, and be cheaper over all.
>>
My car ran fine, then had issues with fuel pressure causing KR, replaced fuel pump and that's better. Then I was getting spark blowout running a higher boost tune, so I swapped in step colder plugs, and now I'm getting KR but no blowout. I'm running a Cobb OTS 93 map and my car is not stock at all. Do I just need a better tume? Is it my gas (I'm running seafoam in this tank)?
>>
File: 1388816397338.jpg (54KB, 485x327px) Image search: [Google]
1388816397338.jpg
54KB, 485x327px
>>15383267

I'm actually laughing really hard at this. Thanks man.
>>
What forums do I hang out on to learn how to work on cars? What youtube videos do I watch? Is there a book out there with instructions on how to work on a given car model?
>>
>>15383267
>opposite arrows on the side mirrors
>>
File: t5cAmfo.jpg (21KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
t5cAmfo.jpg
21KB, 960x540px
How are the series 2 Discoverys?
Are they having a reliable V8?

What should I look for, if I'm buying one?
>>
>>15383841
understanding what's in a car would be first step i'd say. like what a differential is, how clutch/transmission work etc.
the engine isn't too difficult to understand. fuel goes in, which mixes with air. that gets compressed by the pistons and is ignited, which delivers the power to the car.
the pistons are powered by the crankshaft, and fire at different intervals. the camshaft controls the valves, which let in and out air through the manifolds. a belt connects the crankshaft and camshaft, which is called the timing belt. there's also other belts connected to engines like alternator (which generates electricity) and a/c pulley (which powers air conditioning).

the manifolds are basically the tubes that connect to the sides of the engine. the exhaust manifold is just pipes that lead the exhaust gases out. after this theres usually catalytic converter/muffler, which are for emissions/noise.
the intake sucks the air in, and is also where the throttle body (which is what your accelator pedal controls) is on. that opens, and lets air in to the engine.

besides differential/clutch/transmission the rest isn't too hard to understand. a differential basically controls how the wheels that are powered are spinned. the clutch stops the engine spinning the transmission/wheels, like if you're stopped or if you're changing into another gear.

the brakes are like mountian bike brakes. hydraulic fluid is pressed in which pushes a piston, which pushes the brake pad onto the brakes. theres also a brake booster that uses the engines 'vaccuum' to make pressing it easier

what do you want to do with the car though? do you mean learn how to fix problems if they ever occur, or learn how to get better performance out of your car?
for performance people have different ways. if someone has an ae86 corolla, they could change cams/timing, make air flow better and increase fuel (more air and more fuel = more power). or just swap in better engine
>>
>>15384280

For the most part understood what you explained porior to you typing it out, not alien concepts. Looking for some "how to" type stuff that actually show me the process, I'm not afraid of tools, do plenty of DIY type stuff and I would like to say I am fairly competent.

In terms if fixing vs hooning a car, little bit of both. Would like to learn fixing first. Thinking about installing a new air intake/filter on my car at the moment just to try something that would enhance performance a little bit.
>>
>>15384296
Fuck all what he said.

What car do you have?

If you have a car that you're prepared to work on its likely there's either a third party repair manual for it or a easily accessible service manual that was made by the manufacturer

If its a common car they are probably quite a few Youtube videos that document various common repairs.

Regardless of that, don't get an aftermarket intake, it won't help your car without the engine first having performance internal parts and or a tune to take advantage of it.
>>
>>15384340

I'm the faggot driving this number >>15382984

Decided to slow down and figure out what the fuck I am doing. My plan is to beat on that car until I have a new DD, then to make that one a fun whip. I think it does well performance wise as is, so I think it could really shine with some enhancements.
>>
File: overundersteer-jpg[1].11449_.jpg (68KB, 595x372px) Image search: [Google]
overundersteer-jpg[1].11449_.jpg
68KB, 595x372px
>>15384280
and if you want handling performance then better tires, better suspension (aftermarket can control camber and ride height) and weight reduction. it's mostly how you set up the car and knowing what could make it handle better. changes can increase oversteer/understeer, make car roll less when turning etc.
weight reduction is one of easier but more expensive, and you can also change weight distribution

>>15384296
changing the intake/filter on a car can depend a lot on the aero/air pressure areas, and heat from engine where it's placed.

i think the 'easiest' would be changing stuff with emissions they place on car, like better exhaust, if you wanted some more power.
the easiest for actual driving performance would be better tires.

read up F-1 websites or look at videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Ia0ZJS6IQ to get some ideas of what they do to make car better performing.

look up forums specific to your engine/car model and can give idea.. but if you just have a camry or something, get a better car if you want something to hoon in.

look up how to do basic service, change brake pads etc. you don't really 'need' to fix things on your car much until you notice problems.
there's preventative maintenence you could do too, which check the manual of your car and see what has/hadn't been done, and if you think you could do it.
if you don't have anyone that knows stuff, then you'll just have to go by youtube and risk you not fucking it up.
>>
Can someone explain to me why diesel engines are more godly than gasoline engines. Don't they use the same mechanical design, but are powered by a different fuel? If so, then what makes them superior?
>>
>>15384729
>what is top end
>>
File: 1452102278569.jpg (64KB, 599x495px) Image search: [Google]
1452102278569.jpg
64KB, 599x495px
>>15384729
they use the same design in the sense they're both ICEs with pistons, cylinders, and a crankshaft, but that's it.
>diesel
uses compression to ignite fuel/air mix
>result: simpler more robust engine that can use combustible fuels with low octane ratings such as kerosene or vegetable oils
>downsides: expensive overbuilt engines, runaway diesels

>gasoline
Uses spark via sparkplugs to ignite fuel/air mix
>result: higher octane fuel with higher compression is used leading to higher hp/l, but lower torque
>downsides: lack of low end torque, alternative fuels (e.g. propane or natural gas) usually require more modification than a diesel
>>
Is it reasonable to be looking for a 06-08 econobox from a dealer for sub 6k?

Also, any model in particular in that bracket that has a good reputation?
>>
My airbag light turns on on the instrument panel after I drive for about a minute. Why?
>>
>>15384256
Land Rover? And V8?
Those are unreliable bro. My neighbor next door owned one last year and always had problems with the AC and transmission even though he never actually went offroad with it. And also he told me about it being too thirsty at times. But who knew he got a beat up one?
The best bet is to go and test drive for yourself and make a good deal.
>>
>>15386767
It uses air from intake to pre inflate air bags. The light means they're ready.
>>
>>15383841
There is some youtube worth watching, but don't take anything word for word, use it as a general idea sort of thing.

Mightycarmods
Chrisfix
Stuff like haggard garage, use not as tutorial, but a real life idea of how you actually work on a car
>>
>>15386873
My dad had a v8 discovery, a lot of little things break, and the electrics are the usual British shit.

But the gearbox should be fine, and the engine itself, while thirsty, is usually a sweet thing of power and torque. They're not landcruiser level, but above the usual Italian car, or a lot of American cars (especially economy and family cars).
>>
>>15384256
Avoid like the plague.
>>
>>15387004
So that was common it seems. What he did was he wanted a V8 to cruise on and went straight from a Corrolla to this. I think he learned his lesson. He even sold his corolla!
>>
File: 4L_cPsfkYpj.jpg (141KB, 1152x535px) Image search: [Google]
4L_cPsfkYpj.jpg
141KB, 1152x535px
>>15385963
There's a hp/torque curve in a car that varies with rpm. Top end is the part of the curve near redline.
In a Miata, from 4.5k-7k RPM.

Pic related, it's the curve from a 99 Miata with the BP4W
>>
Things to look out for in E36s? I'm being offered a E36 318is rather cheap but I have no idea what I should be wary of. 135k kms on it (83k miles).
>>
is it possible to convert a car from drive by (electronic) wire to drive by (physical) cable? Pros and cons of doing this?
>>
>>15387944
Sure there is. You can always use a cable throttle body instead of an electronic one.

Pros: mechanical connection, cannot go wrong
Cons: mechanical connection, which your ECU cannot (easily) think ahead of. Simply put, it'll downgrade your throttle response.
>>
I'm buying my first car soon and I'm stuck between 3 cars a 2008 BMW 550, 2008 Audi S4, or a 2010 MB E350. Which one should I buy?
>>
>>15382945
When you have reached the limit of how much you can get out of your turbo. Then cool down and tune it up. Also high boost rotaries with methanol injection are killer machines.
>>
>>15383439
Also a good idea if you like to launch at stoplights and such. Just make sure your drive it regular or like a granny for the first 250 to 1000 miles for a break in period. Check your clutch pack installation instructions for the correct mileage. It makes a difference in how long your clutch will last.
>>
>>15383499
Id run on a tank with no seafoam just to check. Changing plugs might mean its time for a tune, at the very least you can take full advantage of the plugs. Also telling us your car details always helps.
>>
>>15388431
I'd pick the BMW. The 5 series from that gen is beautiful. Plus dat 5.0 V10.

The S4 of that gen has timing chain guide issues, it's a humongous repair that requires engine removal to service. Just don't

As for the merc, it's cool too. The E350 is pretty tame though with its V6.
>>
File: ur-allroad.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ur-allroad.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
Aside from the air suspension, are these things reliable? I'm looking at getting a manual one for light DDing, road trips, ski trips, camping, etc.
>>
Is the Nissan 200SX S14a worth a buy? As a first car that is, will be spending money on aftermarket parts aswell, no rice though.
>>
>>15388624
Is the price for repairs around the same as all the others?
>>
>>15385974
>St. Johns Twist
>Debouncifier
>Lower Intestine

lmfao
>>
>>15383841
Get a manual for your car. Hayes and chiltons both make general manuals for most car makes. Or base editions at least. Buy a dealership service manual if you have the cash. Or get an alldata download or subscription. Join a forum specific for your car and read alot. Then start small and work your way up to big things.
>>
>>15386767
Sounds like an electrical or sensor issue. Might just need the airbag system reset.
>>
Why do people like Honda?
>>
On cold starts my 4cyl idles at high rpm and both the seat and steering wheel vibrate noticeably.
When the car warms up even just a little it smooths out. Just changed plugs, all fluids, filters and checked for vaccum leaks w/ carb cleaner but can't find anything.

What the fuck /o/? I'm going insane plz help.
>>
File: ITR.jpg (99KB, 1280x782px) Image search: [Google]
ITR.jpg
99KB, 1280x782px
>>15388903
>Sporty cars that are still practical to DD
>Tons of aftermarket
>Good reliability and build quality
>Screaming NA engines
>stylish interiors and exteriors

Honda has really lost their way since the 90's though. The only thing they still do well is reliability. Hopefully the new Civic Type R will bring some of the old Honda spirit back.
>>
>>15388916
This is normal lol. The idle air control valve raises idle when the engine is cold to warm it up quicker.
>>
Is 22,000PSI Fuel Rail pressure normal for a Diesel? Is it really that high?
>>
File: Jag.jpg (84KB, 600x394px) Image search: [Google]
Jag.jpg
84KB, 600x394px
This is long shot but thinking about guiding my exhaust gases into the ocean from my motorboat.
I tested it and obviously I couldn't tell a difference except it was 3 times quieter, solely the reason I want to do it too.
Will it create too high back pressure?
NA Marine staight 6.
>>
i need help with my casting numbers, i think i may be missing some numbers or soemthing because i cant find anything relevant about these numbers on google, am i missing something, are the numbers ground off? i really need some help on this one
>>
File: cast numbers 2.jpg (46KB, 480x696px) Image search: [Google]
cast numbers 2.jpg
46KB, 480x696px
>>15389661
Forgot to post pic
>>
Civic Si or Fiesta STi?
>>
>>15389756
>Fiesta
>STi
Summerfag reeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>15389627
I know nothing about marine engines
but I don't see back pressure being a problem
considering cavitation they seem to rely a little more on torque than anything else
Yamaha and evinrude make outboard motors with a hot v that exhausts near the intake snorkel for the water intake
>>
File: whywouldyoudothat_2_3571.jpg (30KB, 292x302px) Image search: [Google]
whywouldyoudothat_2_3571.jpg
30KB, 292x302px
>>15387944
>>
Is a mk1 Celica a good first car?
>>
File: 1461526296962.png (418KB, 448x486px) Image search: [Google]
1461526296962.png
418KB, 448x486px
>>15388703
>are audis reliable?
no, and if you buy one you're an asshole
not even trying to be mean, just real talk
>dat 50/50 weight bias and rally pedigree tho...

>>15388708
>200SX S14a
The answer is yes, you should almost always buy a Silvia
>halfway to a sileighty

>>15389184
common rail operates at about 15,000 psi
>still powerful enough to kill everyone everywhere
>https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docket/archive/pdfs/NIOSH-125/125-ExplosionsandRefugeChambers.pdf

>>15390310
it's more apt to say it's a good car to learn how to wrench
>carbs
have fun

>>15388916
check your motor mounts for the excessive vibration problem
>>
Is my fear of doing burnouts in my only car with 153000 miles on the clock justified? I have had too many nightmarish visions of transmission/driveline failure to do it. I'm also a poor college student who can't afford to pay for these or get new tires.

Should I or should I not burn rubber?
>>
File: 1447467183121.jpg (33KB, 500x362px) Image search: [Google]
1447467183121.jpg
33KB, 500x362px
>>15390474
>want to do hektik skidz
>can't afford new tires
I wouldn't recommend it
>tire chirping is just as cool
>kinda
>>
I got an odd issue with my grandpa boat.
It seems at idle, certain electrical bits will stop working: windows, the circulation system, and power locks will completely stop working (the airbag light turn on as well). If I start moving, they will begin working again after 20-30 seconds. Idle gets a bit rougher when this happens.

Possibly related, the car stalled while pulling off the street into my driveway. Started up afterword though.

Near the alternator, I can hear a rattling noise that I'm not 100% is coming from that.

Any ideas?
>>
>>15390466
>50/50 bias
more like 55/45 f/r nigger
>>
>>15390557
Not too sure myself m8, but get it to an advance auto parts and have them do a free battery/alternator/electric system check. That should give you some starting information.
>>
Just replaced my spark plugs on my '93 miata. Has 177k miles. Three of the four plugs were wet with oil. I thought it might be the head gasket but the engine is running fine and it's not producing any odd colored or smelling smoke. I'm going to get a compression test on Thursday. If it isn't the head gasket, what else could it be? And how serious is it?
>>
File: FB_IMG_1467767665498.jpg (34KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1467767665498.jpg
34KB, 480x360px
Is my dashboard cluttered?
>>
What should my I get for a first car?

>I am in the process of getting a license right now,

>I'm 19

>I'm a europoor

>am looking for a sedan prefferably

>prefer manual

>a budget of about 7-8k dollars

What should I buy /o/? I have been lurking a while but I am no closer to coming to an answer.

I want something that is fun to drive, it doesn't have to be spacious so even a coupé works.
>>
>>15391211
If you have 7k Euro you're not that poor.
>>
>>15391240
Guess not, any advice?
>>
Is using used vegetable oil as a replacement for diesel actually viable or is it just a meme?
>>
>>15391539
what do you think anon?
>>
>>15391552
I don't know that's why I'm asking senpai :^P
>>
>>15391559
I would not reccomend
>>
>>15390557
Sounds like inadequate voltage at idle and you've got a nearly dead battery. System voltage has to go below about 10v to get things starting to shut down like that. It could be a bad alternator or even the damn belt could be loose. Impossible to say at this point.
>>
>>15389756
>Civic Si
More reliable than the Ford.
>>
>>15390794
Yup. Replace it with tiny Dildos.
>>
>>15390724
not a miata guy, but generally speaking thats more of a valve cover gasket symptom, which is good news for you
>>
>>15391539
I ran on waste vegetable oil for about 2 years. Its viable. I'd call the conversion is an intermediate difficulty level job. The problem is that gathering and processing used oil is very labor intensive (and kind of nasty). It has to be heated, filtered down to at least 2 microns or so and the hardest part... dewatered. This takes work and energy. I want to get back into running veg but don't have the time or space right now. The work and energy the purification process requires also makes the margins small to not there if you were to try to sell the stuff. Thats why the only action in this area now is people making it into biodiesel and selling it as a fringe product that costs more than diesel.
so its a viable fuel, but its by no means a shortcut to free fuel.

>>15391539
this guy don't know shit
>>
>>15391601
could be a lot of things.
check battery terminal connections for tightness and corrosion. check alternator connections, particularly main charging wire. check ground strap connection. Quickly check to see if the alternator belt is good and tight
then go to auto store for free alt/ batt check. if you've still got a problem, you got to take it somewhere or get a multimeter and research charging system basics
>>
Anyone know what wheels these are? It's a 190E promotional image from 1987 and I would love to get a set of these for my '84.
>>
>>15392587
Can conform. Saw a documentary on Vegetable Oils yesterday.
>>
The car industry is incredibly saturated. Would there be any chance for a new car brand/manufacturer?
>>
Enkei has a tuner and performance lineup of wheels. What the fuck is the difference? Can I use performance for street use?
>>
>>15392685
part number: 7400092

http://w124-club.mercedes-benz-clubs.com/documents/amgfelgen.pdf
(bottom row, first table)

apparently extremely rare from what i read
i found a single one on ebay kleinanzeigen for 200€ (which i can't post because that's spam according to 4chan)

ronal made a look alike, might be easier to get those
>>
File: 1373434095779.jpg (61KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
1373434095779.jpg
61KB, 800x533px
Is weight reduction still worth it even if it unbalances a cars weight distribution a fair bit?

ie. car is 52/48 standard, lot's of weight can be removed from the rear of the car...150kg removed but car is now 55/45. Worth it?
>>
>>15391211
A cheap serviceable POS. Don't go near the 7k bar, stay at like 5k to have a lot of room for insurance and potential repairs.

My first car was a Twingo (before the memeing began), bought for about €3k and it did the job for about 4 years before I crashed it. 3k for the car, another 1k on the first year of insurance, something like 750 on the second year and pretty much the same amount for the third year. Add a few parts and service and it totals some money.

Now, maybe where you live the rules are different, especially regarding insurance, but over here in baguette land buying anything over 100hp as first car means over 2k insurance if it's seen as "sporty" or "luxury".
>>
Here's a situation:
Leaving my backyard means climbing a steep ass hill (grade 40 or so) for about 200 meters.
I know I'm not supposed to let the engine heat up idling, but I know I'm not supposed to put a lot of load on a cold engine.
Car is a shitbox, engine is designed to be a serviceable donkey, full stock, not a delicate tuned performance engine.

Is it better to leave it idle until operating temp, take the hill straight away or let it idle for maybe two minutes just to get some heat into the engine before taking off?
>>
What kind of wear would show that the shifter needs to be rebuilt? Is only the bushing worth looking at?
>>
>>15393381
Also it feels really rough and doesn't seem to line up quite right at times
>>
File: IMG_20160522_191521.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160522_191521.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
So, if your vehicle shifts fine but doesn't want to stay in a gear (first and now third is starting to act up), is it the synchros, or something else? My understanding is that if the synchros were shot, the transmission would have a hard time shifting gears regardless. Reason I'm asking is because save not wanting to hold 1st, my trucks transmission shifts fine (I believe its a W56 5-speed). I recently replaced the shifter seal since the previous one had basically disintegrated, and I'm wondering if the pieces from the old one are simply gumming up something.
>>
>>15388916
Is it an older Toyota? They all do that.
>>
>>15393377

I would like to know this as well
>>
File: 00707_9jDNN6MweRm_600x450.jpg (32KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
00707_9jDNN6MweRm_600x450.jpg
32KB, 600x337px
Hey, /o/, I'm trying to buy my first ever car. I've driven a good amount in my life (for someone who's never had their own vehicle) but now I'm at a point in my life when I am going to need a vehicle. There are two routes I'd like to take, one is more practical the other is farfetched and pie in the sky.

Let's start with the practical. I really like 90's vehicles. I don't know a lot about cars but the "boxy" look of them is really appealing to me. At least more so than modern cars. I really like the honda civic hatchbacks from the 90's if that's a good example. Considering that, I went onto craigslist to find one and they are pretty cool. However, they have a lot of mods. Does this sound like a good deal to you?
"I have a 1999 honda civic hatchback. It is lowered on h&r springs has an asr neochrome rear brace. Motor is a d16y7 has 185k on motor and has cold ac. Car has header and custom cat back. Its is on drag wheels and has notto neogen tires with 70% tread. Also has 2 jl 10s with a kicker 250.1 amp. Car is also sound deadened so music sounds amazing. a It has a clean title and is notorized and ready to sell. Asking 3200 or best offer."

It's also a manual, and I don't know how to drive a manual yet. However, I really want to learn and I'd rather just bite the bullet than just keep waiting for someone to teach me.

Would it be smart to go for this car, or am I stealing someone else's opportunity for a car that they would get better use from?
>>
>>15393481
The less practical idea is spending a bit more and just converting a van into a sleeper travel van like I've always wanted to do.
>>
What are the long term effects of not replacing worn rear bushings?
>>
>>15393377
It really makes no difference.
Just let it get warm for like 30 seconds.
>>
>>15393481
simple rule of thumb:
never buy a modified car, period.
>>
>>15393770
Which bushings? Subframe mount bushings? Nothing probably. Maybe unibody cracking around the mount, but unlikely in a normal car.
>>
>>15393785
alright thanks man
>>
>>15393292
If you have something very innovative/unique and a very good marketing team that efficiently explains how easy and awesome your car is, then yes.
>Example : Tesla
>>
>>15393427
I'd check the trans. oil for metal shaving or bits of that seal, especially if you didn't change the oil when your replaced the seal
>next step, look at the clutch
>I have a D21 that doesn't like to go into first or reverse unless old clutch is warm and can bite
>adjusting clutch pedal travel helped first immensely and reverse a little
hopefully it's just some grody trans oil, good luck
>>
Thinking about buying a third or forth generation Pontiac Firebird. Also I dont know anything about cars but want to get into it. Is the Firebird reliable and/or easy to repair? Anything I should know before getting one?
>>
>>15393790
Thanks man you're probably right
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (190KB, 1498x841px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
190KB, 1498x841px
I've had a recent obsession with the Mercedes W123 chassis. All the ones on craigslist are diesel though. While I have no problems with diesel, and think it would be pretty cool to have a diesel car, I don't think its a good fit for my amount of driving. I only drive to work and very short excursions to the convenience store, and those never take more than a 20 minute drive.

Would getting a 300D be worth it? From what I've gathered they're pretty reliable cars, but need constant maintenance on non-essential parts. For someone who has a fledgling interest in car mechanics would one of these cars be a good choice?
>>
>>15393941
well, the hillbillies I bought it from (never making that mistake again) said they put a new clutch in when I bought it (probably not). truck only has 126k on the clock, so I can't imagine the trans is dying already.

should also mention. when I put it in first, the stick feels really "loose", like its not engaging the gears properly or locking into place.

I'll give changing the fluid a go. couldn't hurt anything, I suppose.
>>
>>15393790
Depends on the mods
>>
At those school area, there is a sign saying
>No parking
>Queue lane 8am - 4pm school bus
Does that mean no one can parking between that time besides school buses?
>>
File: Trans am.jpg (71KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
Trans am.jpg
71KB, 675x900px
>>15382658
I've been looking for an older car to learn about cars more because my dad was really into them before he sold his Chevy nova. So I bought a 79 trans am the other day and I think I paid too much for it. The interior is in great shape and the body and frame is relatively rust free aside from the trunk pan. It runs and drives good but the owner suggested rebuilding the carburetor. The exhaust also made a popping noise while decelerating but I think it's just running really rich. Also the headers have a small leak in them but I believe they just need tightened. I gave $3800 for it, how bad did I do? Pic related, I can't get anymore pics of it because I still have to haul it home from the guy's house on Friday.
>>
Feeling pretty down.
Can I get a (You) please lads to get me through the day?
>>
>>15394842
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1rRENrTIO1S

Not my voice obviously, but the sentiment is similar.
>>
>>15382725
>only 599$ a month

shit sign me up for one
>>
File: Picture-181.png (194KB, 631x343px) Image search: [Google]
Picture-181.png
194KB, 631x343px
Why do some cars make pop sound at the exhaust even though they don't have turbo anti lag system?
>>
>>15395574
gas in hot exhaust
>>
What's the closest modern (last 5 years) successor to the panther bodies? I will soon be replacing a 2002 Grand Marquis with a new vehicle and want something similar. I'm fine with giving up the V8, but I want something roomy and comfortable with a great ride for road trips, and solid reliability.
>>
>>15395584
Realistically? Nothing, the panther was the last American body on frame car.

Dodge Charger, Or Chevy SS, is about the closest you'll get to.
>>
>>15395574
They're burning rich.
>>
>>15394596
Was the popping noise made before warm up?

Headers having a leak can cause burnt exhaust valves.

That being said 3800 isn't bad and if it came with the 305, youll probably want to pull that and replace it with something bigger.
>>
>>15393770
Shimmy at high speeds unnecessary wear on the drive shaft and half shafts if its RWD.
>>
>>15395865
It's got the 6.6 403 v8 in it. Once the guy started it up and and revved it a few times it started popping.
>>
>>15393361
Do those ones in the picture look like 15s or 16s? Looking into maybe getting a set and really want them to look just like those.
>>
File: image.png (555KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
555KB, 640x1136px
How does /o/ feel about the Ford Fusion?

And is this a good deal?

It would be my first "new" car and I really like the look, it's sporty without having the insane insurance fees .

Is there anything I should look out for with the fusion or with fords in general?

Also I asked if there's wiggle room in the pricing and they said it was discounted to sell, is there a way I can Jew them to get it for a better deal?

Tips on buying from a dealership in general?

I test drove it and I really liked it but I don't know shit about cars.
>>
File: image.png (90KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
90KB, 640x1136px
>>15396645
>>
>>15396433
the PDF states they were only available as 16s
>>
>>15395574
when you go full throttle tons of fuel is being dumped into the cylinders, when you let off your motor is still sending alot of fuel, that excess fuel isnt being burned, instead its going out the exhuast valve and into the hot exhuast, casuing it to burn and explode.
>>
Ferrari 360 Modena or Ferrari 360 Modena F1?
>>
Should I bother going to see this?

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5668310404.html
>>
>>15396645
Be warned of glass transmissions on some years (not sure if '14 is one of them)
>>
Hey everyone I'm going to be buying my first car soon, it'll be a geo metro or one of the other names for it like a suzuki swift anywhere from 1994-1998 depending on what I can find for a decent price.
My question is the radio. I'm planning on installing a reverse camera and also sensors on each corner. I would like to replace the factory radio with a screen that can display the reverse camera and also be used for gps and such.

How do I find one that is compatible with my vehicle?
>>
File: 38267220026_original.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
38267220026_original.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Buying a 2nd hand 1995 Supra real soon.
Anything to watch out for? Advice?
>>
>>15398487
Make sure you keep an eye out for a better car.
>>
File: 635508876892570283-481016203-1-.jpg (31KB, 534x401px) Image search: [Google]
635508876892570283-481016203-1-.jpg
31KB, 534x401px
>Raining outside, fogged window
>Blast the aircon on cold
>Still foggy
>Blast the aircon on heat
>Still foggy
How to manage interior humidity??
>>
>>15398490

kekeekekekekkekeekekek
>>
>>15398693
open window, let the bad humidity out and get new fresh humidity in
>>
File: iflash2.jpg (78KB, 725x389px) Image search: [Google]
iflash2.jpg
78KB, 725x389px
I won this interface module from my school and can I use it for anything other than flashing ECU's using OEM service updates? My buddy has a 2013 ralliart and wants to program a new engine map and he said the most popular maps are I think .hiz or .hiv files? Are they the same as OEM programing?
>>
File: Tesla-Roadster-2008-1280-4d.jpg (153KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Tesla-Roadster-2008-1280-4d.jpg
153KB, 1280x960px
Will it be a good idea if I buy a Tesla Roadster which is 2008 or 2010?

>It does 0-60 in under 4 seconds
>220 total miles on a single full charge.
>>
>>15393790
A modified car is never considered perfect by any buyer. A modified car is always built from personal interest and the other person buying it may not figure out it completely. No one should buy a modified car as second-hand. It's fucked.
>>
>>15398693
If running the AC cold doesn't do it your AC is fucked.
>>
File: toyota.jpg (38KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
toyota.jpg
38KB, 360x480px
Can you identify this car?
>>
File: 1429145117037.jpg (120KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1429145117037.jpg
120KB, 768x1024px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q43ieyWe-k
>>
>>15399395
sweet jesus no

Tesla makes incredibly low quality cars, as it stands today, and they were even worse back then iirc. Avoid any Tesla like the plague.
>>
>>15399662
thats a run of the mill celica gt, early 2000s would be my guess
>>
My car has a naturally aspirated engine and a stock ECU. Which should I add for maximum power gain: supercharger, turbo, or a custom ECU?
>>
>>15399768
You didn't tell us what engine it was, and what car you have

Try again
>>
>>15399754

Thanks! That helps
>>
>>15397463
Depends on if said car has a din or double din slot, and if there is a kit that can convert it to having a din style slot
>>
>>15396140
It's got burnt valves, you'll need to pull the head, and have it rebuilt
>>
>>15397327
Id fucking get it if I was you
>>
>>15399780
BMW E46 coupe, M52TUB25 engine. I'm guessing since it's not a muscle car nor a rice rocket the tuning potential may be quite limited, but I'm still interested in what I could possibly do with it. Apart from replacing the engine with one from an M3.
>>
Does /o/ name their cars?
I need a name for my white 350z.
>>
>>15399825
Either name your car after a significant woman in your life or give it some over-the-top name that sounds cool, like Highway Star.
>>
>>15399800
Fuck, how much will that cost me?
>>
>>15399821
M52 has a robust aftermarket, however to my knowledge there are no supercharger kits available, you would be looking at a turbocharger kit, and given a few internal modifications plus the turbo it's possible you could make 500hp but realistically you could get short of 400 with just a kit
>>
>>15399874
I should add that you'll need a tune regardless
>>
>>15399800
Also It wasn't popping while idling only after revving the engine really hard and it stopped when It got back down to idle.
>>
>>15399878
So a turbo kit and a tuned ECU could possibly get me to around 400 bhp? That's not bad at all, considering it would double the stock bhp without having to replace the entire engine. Thanks man, I'll look into those options. Maybe even some nitrous eventually, though that's more along the lines of "what if" scenarios.

Though I do wish there was a supercharger option available. Turbo lag is a real bummer to deal with.
>>
>>15399847
No clue, call up a local engine rebuild shop and explain your situation
>>
>>15399888
Most conservative setups have little lag, turbos are a lot more versatile now than even a decade ago
>>
>>15399883
It shouldn't pop much at all if it's just revving with no load
>>
>>15399901
He did have the carburetor running super rich.
>>
>>15399897
That's good to know. One more thing that just popped into my mind: how hard, in general, are those kinds of modifications to perform? Would I need to take my car to a specialty auto shop or would it be possible to buy the necessary parts and install them myself, with the help of youtube and online guides? I do have a bit of basic knowledge about engine maintenance and repair, though nothing specialized.
>>
>>15399912
Not knowing your skill level I wouldn't know, it would involve taking all of the intake off and the exhaust manifold or headers off as well as having the exhaust redone
>>
>>15399905
Not being there to see for myself I could see it running rich causing intermittent backfire, but I seriously would have a mechanic look at it, header leaks on older enginea aren't anything to fuck around with
>>
>>15399950
Yeah, that's a bit above my pay grade, so to speak. I'll look up someone more competent, then. Thanks for all the info.
>>
>>15399957
alright, thanks man. I'll defiantly have it looked at.
>>
File: 20160708_013254.jpg (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160708_013254.jpg
1MB, 1080x1920px
I was wondering what the common unit of measurement is for boost in whatever country you're from. Im reading through this magazine and they are using kg/cm^2.

American - Usually PSI
>>
File: IMG_20160702_130841943.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160702_130841943.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
I lve ans NYC and would like to ride a standard or a naked.

Before I decided this, is as looking for a standard that I can turn into a State Route machine based on an old standard . Except now that I broke up with my girlfriend (who didn't like bikes or me riding them) i want a bike I can put a qt3.1 4 on the back and still have fun.

My current bike is a 1990 Honda VFR750F. I'l was thinking about getting a Superhawk 996 (SP2 preferred) but then I looked into the Kawasaki ZRX1100/1200, Suzuki's 1250 Bandit (Hella simple air-cooled engine, that's a nice plus I think), Honda 919 and 599, and the old school Kawasaki Zeypher (?) Series.

All have their pros and cons. Especially concerning weight. I don't want to get stuck on a bike that's considerably affected by pillion weight. That wasn't an issue with my VFR, i just wish to try somehting new. I love the V4 and everything, it's just too heavy for what it is.

Do any of you have any input or suggestions, /qtddtot/? /dbt/ is too busy shitposting to help.

Have this Rover I spotted in return.
>>
File: letsgetreadytorustle.png (20KB, 917x363px) Image search: [Google]
letsgetreadytorustle.png
20KB, 917x363px
>OEM replacement engine mounts are $29
>from a horrible company
>hydraulic mounts are $32, decent company
Should I get some hydraulic mounts for my turbobrick?
Anyone have any experience? I hear they tend to give out dramatically, is this true? I've never heard of the manufacturer either, is ANCHOR gud?
>other brand is URO, a shit confirmed
>also front oe mount is $29, back is $25
>they look exactly the same
>hydraulic mounts fit either position, manufacturer not lying about it
highly tempted to do it on principle
>>
>>15395584
just buy another panther :^)
>>
>>15399662
Celica
>>
Alright /o/, I need your help. The rear right window in my 89 Mercury Grand Marquis will not go up. On both the master (read:all 4 switches on the driver door) and that door's own window switch, the window went up about half an inch and wouldn't go any further. I rolled it down, and when I tried to roll it back up the window wouldn't even go. Now, using either switch I can hear the motor in the door running, but it's not forcing the window up.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys
>>
>>15400537
motor or window gear is probably stripped, pull the door apart to see and get appropriate part from a junkyard
>>
>>15399749
Are you sure? Do you have any good info to back your statement up?
>>
>>15382658
Should I buy an R32 GTR and sell my current car or keep my current car and ls swap a miata. Just about the same cost either way including insurance.
>>
>>15400592
Alright, I'll go ahead and check. Thank you.
>>
>>15398693
Rainx has an interior defogging coating as well as the exterior, used it on my windshield and haven't dealt with the fog that used to cover it when it rained/snowed
>>
Is it really necessary to spend $300 (~$150 in product and ~$150 on a polisher) on detailing equipment to start properly cleaning a car or are the forum faggots just memeing?
>>
File: 1452581224391.jpg (260KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1452581224391.jpg
260KB, 2048x1152px
Does a map sensor have to do with Google maps being able to get your location quicker on their maps?
>>
>>15401220
yes m8
>>
File: 00K0K_1tJ7oA4DiZe_1200x900.jpg (76KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
00K0K_1tJ7oA4DiZe_1200x900.jpg
76KB, 1200x900px
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5652641432.html

Should I buy this van? The owners put themselves in the listing pictures and they seem like really swell guys!
>>
I'm going to buy a car from a used lot that's listed for $1400 on the window but $900 by them on craigslist and the KBB value is about 950.
I only want to spend $700-$800 on it.
When haggling with the guy is it better for me to throw out a figure like $600 and then go back and forth until he settles near $800 or just say $800 or no deal and then walk if he says no? It's just a geo metro so I'm not too worried if he says no since pretty much all of them in my area are listed for under $900
>>
>Mech eng here
>Absolutally hate having to work on crammed engine bays, never took driving seriously, much less tried to mod
>got a nice track nearby, visited it on 2 wheels, i'd like to possibly take my car there top
So, i'm looking for an used piece of shit to bring back to life and have some fun with
I hate the look of most modern cars and i'm not too rich
Wat buy?
>>
What causes backfires?
I know how to keybang a carb, but why does my efi do it too?
>>
How do I clean weathering on plastic on the outside of my car?
>>
>>15402083
Unburned fuel because of changes in timing or whatever. Even modern cars aren't perfect similar to rolling coal. You can literally Google this
>>
Can someone give me ideas on what could be wrong with my clutch/transmission. So I looked up a guide on how to replace a clutch and I got it off and back on with a new clutch but after I got everything almost finished I go to turn my truck on, and the clutch pedal is impossible to push down like super hard. So I give up for the day and come back in the morning to see if maybe just sleeping fixed the pedal. It didn't, I push too hard and something breaks in the pedal or the master cylinder or some thing, eventually figure out the slave cylinder line popped out of the slave and that's why it was impossible to push down. So I put that in and the plastic retainer on the pedal is broken so I replace that. The pedal still doesn't go down far enough to trigger the neutral safety switch but the truck turns on and moves(kinda). The problem now is that the clutch only barely engages enough to move the car. I'm totally stumped as to why it's not engaging, I already bled the clutch of air. Does anyone have any ideas? I would really appreciate any insight.

TL;dr clutch doesn't engage after replacing it
>>
>>15402396
Did you replace everything? Pilot bearing throw out bearing Etc?

Sounds like somethings jammed against the throw out bearing.
>>
>>15401648
lower then go higher as you haggle to a mutually agreed price.

thats what haggling is
>>
>>15402832
Yeah pilot bearing throwout bearing slave cylinder. Clutch pressure plate and flywheel obviously. I guess I'll be taking the trans off this weekend if the master cylinder doesn't fix it.
>>
>>15402849
If the master or slave were blown it would be too easy to push in, and not solid and firm. Doubt that, that is your problem.
>>
>>15402854
Yeah but I was gonna do it anyways. I can always hope.
>>
File: 1461861769908.png (248KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1461861769908.png
248KB, 540x540px
I've got $2,000. I need a functional car that can actually get me places. What are my options
>>
Might be buying a used car tomorrow from a dealership. I plan on paying cash, but I can't exactly withdraw a briefcase full of money, and I doubt they'll take a check. How are these things normally done?
>>
>>15382658
I've got a strict budget of 5k. What do, /o/? I need something reliable and can be fixed by swearing at it, but I do want to go as fast as my dollar can go.
>>
>>15403356
I'm also thinking about a good offroad SUV that's somewhat powerful. What should I do for that?
>>
Why do americans like big ass utes so much?
>>
>>15403387
Why did the El Camino inspire it's own car type?
>>
Water is getting in to my door and I want it fixed so i can forget about it, would I have to take it to a body shop or what?
>>
>>15403765
Not sure why you want to go to a body shop unless the car was damaged in an accident. Usually you can buy weather stripping for the spacing between the door and body of the car and apply it using a special glue. Check the stripping though to see if it is cracked as I suspect that is where your problem is.
>>
>>15403765
>Water is getting in to my door and I want it fixed so i can forget about it, would I have to take it to a body shop or what?
A more interesting question is why isn't the water draining out of your door? Check if the drain plugs are clear. If not, open the door panels, clear the drain plugs and dry up whatever mess is inside.

Sit inside the car and have someone outside spray water to see where the water leaks.
>>
Why do you Americans have this stupid 25YO import law?
>>
>>15404525
I have a similar problem but its the seals into the cabin. So the water just drips onto my seat and pools on the floor good thing is is that I don't have carpet, just vinyl on the floor. But the sound deadening underneath is molding and starting to stink. It rains every day. Too broke to buy new seals.
>>
where is the tcc regulator valve on a 4l60e?, is it near the tcc solenoids?

Seriously can't find shit on google
>>
>>15404558
because american mercedes dealers got buttmad that people imported cars from germany
>>
File: 1457237511108.jpg (52KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1457237511108.jpg
52KB, 600x450px
>>15401525
>http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5652641432.html
>ford aerostar
>classic
>they don't need to see the interior, just take pics of us sitting in it
wew lad
offer $800

>>15402071
>>15403178
civic or a corolla
>also try reading the fucking sticky

>>15403346
>paying cash
>not financing for incentive deals and then paying off loan early
u gon' get rekt
>>
is this a v8?

this is guy is selling a "mustang GT"
>>
Does anyone know how frequently LHD 70s Ford Falcons and Holden Morenos come up for sale in the UK/EU?

I want a 70s/80s Muscle car that is left hand drive and those seem like my only options.
>>
File: rx400h_2.jpg (471KB, 1024x769px) Image search: [Google]
rx400h_2.jpg
471KB, 1024x769px
Are used Toyota(not prius) hybrids a good choice to buy?

Particularly the old Rx400h?
>>
What sort of options do I have for a cheap auxillery adapter for my car radio? I don't really want to remove the car stereo in my work truck just to get the ability to use an MP3 player, so I was hoping to find something I could use instead. I've only got a CD player and an FM radio on it, can't use a casset adapter and RF transmitters seem to have a lot of issues with the amount of frequencies used in my area.

Alternatively, if I do opt to buy something and install it, is there any /o/ recommended brands to look for?
>>
>black single stage paint car
>sprinklers have assaulted the passenger side for almost two months
>try to wash it but waterspots have formed a fine coat over the paint the and I fear whatever I try will damage the paint
I've read I'll have to wash it then give it an acid wash using vinegar or I've read I'll have to strip all wax which might use dish soap to do so?

anyone ever dealt with this and have recommendations?
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 600x800px
I want to buy a geo metro what's the most I should pay for one.
>>
>>15405896
depends on your area, near me you can find one with some minor engine problems for $350 or a working one that has been maintained for $700-1600
>>
>>15404962
That's a V6
>>
File: brake.jpg (3KB, 200x148px) Image search: [Google]
brake.jpg
3KB, 200x148px
>car parked in backyard
>brakes dont work
>need to get it into driveway to fix brakes
If I go really slow, do you think I could drive it into my driveway using only the parking brake?
>>
File: image.jpg (122KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122KB, 960x960px
>>15405973
I live an our away from LA and all of them go for 1000 or more and they all look like shit
>>
What are you opinions on the Maserati biturbo 331?

There's an 86 model for sale near me and I'm kind of tempted some stats;

>It's gone 70000km
>V6 direct injection producing 223 bhp
>replaced electrics
>It's for sale at 7,500 dollars

Keep in mind I am a europoor so cars in general are more expensive.
>>
>>15406061
Depends if it's downhill or not.
>>
>>15407058
My new (then) Maserati failed me several times, and then I sold it for 1/3 what I payed. please don't make the same mistake as me.
Many many many better cars for the money.
>>
I live in california. I have a 2016 BRZ. I already have some mods that I want to do to the car, one of them being UEL headers. I see youtubers like TJ Hunt install catless headers on their cars, but as far as I know it's illegal to do any exhaust mod that isn't catback or otherwise sanctioned by the CARB, for example the Edelbrock Eforce supercharger kit that I'm so close to.

My question is: How do people get away with putting catless headers on their cars in California? Thanks for any help, really want that rumble from uel headers
>>
>>15407153
Put steel wool in the exhaust for the test
When you take it out later and start the car, expect a huge cloud of black smoke to puff out.
>>
>>15407206
That might be too exciting for me, anon. I might just have to move out of state later in life. At least I can still go forced induction with CARBs blessing
>>
File: 12689-mid.jpg (55KB, 400x283px) Image search: [Google]
12689-mid.jpg
55KB, 400x283px
Want to put some vinyls on my focus. Looking for a more classic rally car look. Any good mspaint gurus?
>>
>>15400292
bump, are hydraulic motor mounts good?
is Anchor a good company?
>inb4 O'reallys carries them at least
>>
>>15394596
>The exhaust also made a popping noise while decelerating but I think it's just running really rich.

that's probably what it was. I doubt its burnt valves.
>>
>>15403346
>I can't exactly withdraw a briefcase full of money

why cant you? do banks not let you have your money or something?
>>
>>15407153
>I live in california

found your problem.
>>
>>15407385
May I ask why?
>>
>>15382658
low beam headlight keeps going out.
bulb isnt blowing.
have to keep putting it back in to get it to work.
goes out daily.
is the connector bad?
>>
File: IMG_1289(1).jpg (625KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1289(1).jpg
625KB, 1600x1200px
>>15408625
Because race car
>>
I know that Audis are basically dressed up VWs, so I'm looking at Jettas and Passats somewhere between 1995 and 2004. Are they reliable at all or are they just yet another expensive shitbox?
>>
File: AC_0294.jpg (878KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
AC_0294.jpg
878KB, 1800x1200px
What is the difference between a Porsche 911 GT3 and 911 Turbo?
>>
>>15405063
If it has passed over 200,000 on the cluster, avoid it like you never saw it.
>>
>>15409547
500 NA hp on the RWD GT3, 600+ turbo hp on the AWD Turbo.
The Turbo is a GT car, the GT3 is more track focused. Stiffer, if not by THAT much, for example.
>>
What does this piece of shit do? Looks like an antenna of some sort.
GPS tracking that was required by some auto insurance company perhaps?
>>
>>15409641
that is an old school gps antenna, around 15 years old. gps tracking did not exist then
>>
>>15409641
Ya that's a gps antenna.
>>
>>15409662
>>15409665
Ok thanks, the car was first registered in 2009 btw.
Should I bother removing it, or do you think it might still act as a deterrent for thieves?
I wonder if the rest of the GPS system is still inside the car somewhere.
>>
>>15409684
whats it connected to, the alarm?
>>
>>15409694
No idea. The to wires go under a flap in the dash, but whether or not if it's connected to anything inside I don't know.
Not even sure what kind of alarm the car has to be perfectly honest. My old car had volumetric sensors this doesn't.
>>
>>15409729
Only way to tell is to trace the wires back.
>>
>>15409776
Maybe some other time, I guess I'll leave it there for now.
>>
>>15409797
Ya as long as it's not hurting anything fuck it.
>>
>>15407573
just go fully sick solid engine mounts
>>
switching from full sythetic to semi synthetic oil because i don't want to special order the weight i need at $20/litre

is this ok?
>>
>>15409916
why would you need to special order it?
>>
>>15409922
because i can't find it anywhere
>>
>>15409927
if it were my car I'd use full synthetic but dunno why you wouldn't be able to get it where do you live m8?
>>
How would one go about filing to claim an abandoned vehicle in the state of Cali?
There's a car that's been sitting just next to the off ramp of a freeway for about 3 days now, the windows are all down, and I'm sure it's abandoned at this point. Tried looking on Google, but didn't really find fuck all of an answer.
>>
>>15382658
Does the tesla model s have a speed limit in reverse ?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-09-12-48-36.png (1MB, 1600x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-09-12-48-36.png
1MB, 1600x2560px
What car is this?
>>
>>15383414
So what is this piece of shit miata for
>>
File: Guy-Miller-White-240z-1.jpg (439KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
Guy-Miller-White-240z-1.jpg
439KB, 1024x683px
>>15410631

'70 240z
>>
>>15410631
944 or 924
>>
File: turbo_upgrade__TD04HL-16T.jpg (42KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
turbo_upgrade__TD04HL-16T.jpg
42KB, 800x600px
What happens if i upgrade the small baby turbo on my car and NOT get a tune?

if i have all supporting mods except injectors, will the stock computer give me stock power?
>>
>>15383054
>replacing your timing belt but not the tensioner
>>
>>15410721
Bigger turbo means more air going into the engine.
If you don't find a way to dump more fuel into the motor to match the increased air volume, your motor will run lean. You should make more power, however you run the risk of destroying your engine in the process.
>>
>>15410753
cant the computer get a MAF reading and compensate? i want the engine not to taper off after 5k rpm like it does now. really if it makes more power that is a plus, and a tune will come later when funds allow
>>
>>15410761
The computer will try to compensate, but the limiting factor is the stock injectors. What car?
>>
>>15410766
t5 volvo
>>
>>15410781
Honestly, a Volvo mod forum would be a much better place to ask for specifics. Probably less assholes there too. But if you're like me, you come to /o/ for the assholes and idiocy.
>>
>>15410789
naa, i have turbo sitting on my desk but a tune is several hundred dollars
>>
>>15410795
Well you're up dick creek without a condom then.
>>
>>15410795
Install turbo and and new wastegate?
>>
why do people darken their headlights or tail lights?
>>
File: IMAG0849.jpg (992KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0849.jpg
992KB, 1836x3264px
Replacing my cars ignition but there's a bunch of extra stuff on this one the one I bought just has two wires can I take this off?
>>
>>15382658
My E36 318 w/ the M44 is idling rough and sounds like a rotary at idle.. I have to keep it at a high idle and warm it up for 5-10 minutes to get it like this otherwise when it approaches idle it will start to shake and then stall (out of gear of course).

youtube.com/watch?v=xlOLB7XUrlA

I'm not a mechanic, just very slightly mechanically inclined. Is this just a misfire or something else? Yesterday the idle was higher than usual and was moving around quite a bit, above 1K (usually is around 800 and that's where it's sitting now) like there was a vacuum leak. What's going on? Should I check my plugs and wires and go from there? Doubt it's related since it happens after the pump should be off, but there's also something wrong with my secondary air pump to where it throws a CEL code and I can't pass emissions. Might be a vacuum leak somewhere having to do with that pump too.
>>
>>15412891
Because it looks nice. I love smoked headlights and taillights.
>>
File: IMAG0850.jpg (728KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0850.jpg
728KB, 1836x3264px
>>15412927
Old and new one I don't know where the rest of these wires go or what they do
>>
File: 1986_Nissan_300ZX.jpg (264KB, 2340x1434px) Image search: [Google]
1986_Nissan_300ZX.jpg
264KB, 2340x1434px
Will I look like a tool driving this?

I'm 19 - there is one for sale near me with low mileage at a low price, would you reccomend?
>>
>>15412946
but does it work less?
>>
>>15413134
not necessarily, you can get leds/xenons to make up for the illumination loss.
>>
>>15413076
Get one bro
>>
>>15410178
Bump for interest. I'd rather not end up somehow accidentally stealing a car
>>
Which is better for my Skyline: a Gallo 12 or Gallo 24?
>>
>>15413881
You almost got me, lil shit
>>
>>15412939
... that sounds bad. sounds to me more like a fuel issue than spark, but I wouldn't say much more without doing a lot of tests.
if you know someone more mechanically experienced, get them over there and make it a learning experience. first thing I'd do would be an in line fuel pressure test. ... a simple misfire would sound more normal, just weak
>>
I'm trying to install and aftermarket radio but don't have a specific panel removal tool. Are there any alternatives?
>>
File: 1444283418899.png (259KB, 634x692px) Image search: [Google]
1444283418899.png
259KB, 634x692px
Is it practical to buy a project car when you don't have a garage and only have a small driveway in your backyard?
>>
>>15414643
If you own the place ,I would invest getting a carport or detached garage built. I know it is quite expensive but think of it as a investment and add some value to your property. Just plan it correctly and find some professionals with great reviews. note this make sure the foundation is perfect because it will be a place you store your car, tools, spare parts, etc. Water/excessive moisture is the most damaging to automotive components and a properly laid foundation will prevent water flooding and cracks.
>>
>>15414754
I only know this because my father's garage was built poorly and now it's sunk in and cracked in several places. It floods during heavy rains which sucks because he parks his 83 Capri which has been garage stored most of its life.
>>
File: Mazda-CX-5-2013-1280-0d.jpg (157KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Mazda-CX-5-2013-1280-0d.jpg
157KB, 1280x960px
What are your opinions on the Mazda CX5?

I am about to get this as my company car and should I say an okay to it?
>>
So I own a 1993 Toyota MR2 and installed a set of D2 Racing Street Coilovers to it. For some reason I got shitloads negative camber (it's around 4 to 4,5 degrees ATM) at rear even if my car is basically at stock ride height. How do I fix this?
>>
>>15414937

Its a good car.
>>
>>15382658
Do new spark plugs ever run rough right after install for a little bit? I just replaced mine, the check engine light stayed on for a while and it ran rough. After letting it run and turned it on and off a few times, check engine light turned off and it ran smooth. Is this normal?
>>
File: oil.jpg (266KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
oil.jpg
266KB, 1000x667px
I'm having huge problems selecting oil for my shitbox engine.
1998 Toyota Corolla, manual, 1.6 gasoline 4A-FE engine. 245k km / 152k miles

The manual calls for 10w-30 ("A3/B4" - "API SJ or better") - semisynthetic
However my online seller (really good prices) doesn't stock 10w-30 of any type anymore. What do i use instead?

Trying to understand this chart is tricky. Why can't i use 5W-30 at average temps above +10ºC?

I live in middle of Sweden, so i guess my climate would be considered cold? However, very rarely does the temperature dip below -18ºC, we're talking about 2-4 days in january every 3rd year or so. Average temps stay well above that.
Average summer temps are about +17ºC for 3 months of the year.

Trying to read up on this subject is pretty much impossible. Increcible ammounts of bullshit posted by people who clearly know jack shit.

This is a shitbox beater, so i'd prefer not to goof around with changing to a different oil in the winter time.

I've read that oil technology has come a long way the past 15 years, and this engine started production in 1987, 29 years ago...
>>
>>15415314
>What do i use instead?

A different seller.
>>
>>15415314
>4A-FE engine
You should use the oil recommended in the manual and engine specifications of your vehicle. Those specifications were often adjusted based on region of sale and local weather and driving conditions, and engineers determined it through some actual analysis. No one here will give you a better answer.
>>
Am I a shitter if I buy a WRX?
Should I save up for an STI instead?

I'm looking at a blobeye, if it makes a difference.
>>
>>15414937
Do you have an option of Honda HRV? If yes, go for that.
>>
Is miata a good first car?
>>
>>15415550
get a civic
>>
New QTDDTOT here >>15415564
>>
>>15415497
sti for sure
>>
>>15415579
Is it really that much of a difference though? I just want a practical car that's a little bit of fun to drive, and STIs cost literally twice as much.
>>
File: 1999_Subaru_Impreza_GT_Turbo_AWD.jpg (488KB, 1341x906px) Image search: [Google]
1999_Subaru_Impreza_GT_Turbo_AWD.jpg
488KB, 1341x906px
My first post on this board. Looking to buy my first car (had a license for a few years, been driving the family Twinko).
I'd like something relatively cheap to buy, reliable, w/ turbo and relatively simple to fiddle with so I could pick up the basics of car maintenance and modification.
Is first gen Impreza turbo a terrible choice? Are replacement part for it rare and expensive, because it's old?
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 63

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.