[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Change oil '14 Toyota RAV4

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (73KB, 283x424px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 283x424px
I'm an idiot when it comes to cars and paying for oil changes is expensive. What do I need to buy to make changing the oil in my '14 Toyota RAV4 convienent and not a huge pain in the ass? I'm technically competent and have tools, just don't know much about automobiles. Have a funnel, no stands or pan. Will use synthetic. Thanks for the pointarus.
>>
The biggest pain in the ass is disposing of the oil properly, but not everyone has easy access to the Chicago River.
>>
>>15404409
>Drain pan
>Socket/wrench to remove drain plug
>Oil filter wrench
>Place pan under oil drain after warming up the oil by driving/running the car for a short time
>Remove drain plug, drink a beer while you wait for it to drain
>Once all is drained replace plug, "firm" should be enough torque
>Place pan under oil filter
>Loosen filter with oil filter wrench, then remove by hand
>Oil new oil filter o-ring with thin coating of new oil
>Turn it until it meets the mating surface, then turn it 3/4 to 1 full turn past that
>Fill oil with funnel
Tada
>>
File: can.jpg (7KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
can.jpg
7KB, 200x200px
Aside from oil+filter, get a can like this.
>>
You guys are the best! I have a Napa Auto in town and maybe they'll take the oil.

So you don't think I need to buy those plastic "drive up" stands? I see some guys working on their vans with those in apt parking lots sometimes.

So I need to replace an oil filter o-ring every time? Does it come with a new oil filter n the box or do I have to buy it separately? Great minor point in oiling the o-ring first, would t have thought of that.

I'm about 1k miles past due, I was co spidering adding a cleaning additive to the oil like 10miles before changing it (maybe seafoam or something) to loosen up any carbonized crap I might have caused from being negligent. Is that an ok idea?
>>
>>15404440
The Rav4 you may have to lift a little to get some extra room but I'm not positive. My truck and Jeep I don't need to but I put my Crosstrek on stands when I change the oil on it, just a little too short to have room underneath to move around. The oil filter o-ring is attached to the filter itself.
>>
>>15404440
Toyota does not recommend any type of girl system cleaner. Don't do it
>>
File: After.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
After.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>15404440
The only additive you should be using is your own blood.

Whenever I do any sort of big repair I always add a few drops (or a stream depending on the repair) to the oil. My car specifically requires a blood sacrifice to run well.

It also raises its durability by +10
>>
>>15404409
Buy ramps. They're more convenient than a jack and jackstands if you're only changing the oil.
>>
>>15404440
>I'm about 1k miles past due, I was co spidering adding a cleaning additive to the oil like 10miles before changing it (maybe seafoam or something) to loosen up any carbonized crap I might have caused from being negligent. Is that an ok idea?
NO
Just use a high quality oil and don't add anything to it.
I think Seafoam is for cars made before the 1970s, and then it looks like you're spraying for the Zika mosquitoes.
>>
Thanks all a ton! I now definitely will not add any oil additives and just stick to quality synthetic and I'll check the access on the oil bolt tonight. Really do appreciate the solid insight from folks who know more than how to just change wiper blades.
>>
>>15404409
Does anyone ever feel the urge to drink oil? It looks so appealing sometimes
>>
>>15404417
You forgot crush washer
>>
>>15404588
>Needing a crush washer
>Not just torquing the shit out of the drain plug to the extent the oil pan crushes a little bit and forms a seal
>>
>>15404440
Do you have any quick lube shops (jiffy lube, valvoline, synfast) or an O'Reilly Auto near you? Those places I know for sure will take your used oil.

Don't worry about additives. 1k miles past due won't do much to your engine, especially if you've just been doing synthetic. Do you have a 3000 mile oil change plan? Scratch that if you do. 5000 miles is recommended by almost every manufacturer for any vehicle using synthetic/synthetic blend oils.

Oil filter will come with a gasket yes. I do believe that the Rav4 uses a canister filter, which is slightly more complicated than a spin on but shouldn't be too bad.

Definitely buy one of these >>15404418
I'd consider getting the ramps just for ground clearance. If you plan on doing more work on your car than just oil changes I recommend a jack and jackstands. Otherwise ramps will be ok.

This video should help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmgoDvco6dc
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.