[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CB Radios for Cruises

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: cobra75_stock_large.jpg (15KB, 232x429px) Image search: [Google]
cobra75_stock_large.jpg
15KB, 232x429px
My friends and I are looking for a good brand of CB radio that we can use when going out on drives or traveling places. Smaller, more portable Radios such as the Cobra 75 WX ST are preferable to larger boxes. Would our range really be only about 2-5 miles from car to car, given terrain? What are some of the best and more cost-efficient models?
>>
FRS radios work better.
>>
>>15394124
Why not walkie talkies?
>>
>>15394289
Not OP
But I have walkie talkies and they work up to 3 miles, love them
>>
>>15394309
OP herr, what brand?
>>
>>15394124
If you are only going to use it to communicate with people you know between relatively close vehicles, just get FRS.
If you want to shoot the shit with strangers and talk to people farther away, or listen to truckers get a CB.
>>
>>15394444
I'm seeing only about 1 mile max range for FRS, is that typical. I live in the the hilly Northeast Pennsylvania area.
>>
>>15394458
Its a UHF radio, so it depends on line of site.
1 mile is normal if you dont have a direct line of site, but if you are in a big ass open area it might go as far as 10.
The range of CB will depend heavily on your setup, but in general will go much further.
>>
Baofeng handheld HAM radios are probably the most cost effective radios you can buy, should be like $50 each
>>
>>15394153

This, we do runs with a large number of cars. Ch3 for general talk and for the front runners to let people know of speed traps.

>>15394519

$30 on amazon and another $16 for a good antenna. The UV8R is a good upgrade with everything built in. Neither can do FRS legally as they are 1W radios and FRS can only have .5W, there is also some FCC legalize that some HAM sperg could tell you too.
>>
>>15394124
just get a few Cobra walkie-talkies or something. get the ones areound $30 a pair, supposed to be a 25 mile range in good conditions so between cars on a road it should be fine up to a mile in bad conditions.
>>
>>15394519
>Baofeng handheld HAM radios are probably the most cost effective radios you can buy, should be like $50 each

HAM radios require an amateur radio license to use. So it's airwave piracy without the license. Yeah, I know scamming, piracy, and shoplifting are illegal too but everyone does it.
>>
>>15394983
It's a piss easy 36 multiple choice question exam, any retard could pass it
>>
>2-5 miles
>portable
Not so easy. Ideally you'd get a pair of cb radios with SSB and mount an antenna on the roof.
>>
>>15394519
>Baofeng handheld HAM radios are probably the most cost effective radios you can buy, should be like $50 each

That is the price including the better antenna which is worth getting. It makes a much better reception signal.

>>15394560
A good price for the BaoFeng is $27 right now at amazon. Link to the antenna is there too. It has a built-in FM radio so you can play dumb if some irate HAM sees you with one. The chance of getting caught is essentially zero since you are mobile. It's the idiots that keep on using it at a fixed location (house or business) that get caught. The FCC and others are starting to pay more attention to sporadic transmissions off the coast though. You can get a more expensive one to scan other frequency bands too.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.