[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

W201 beater?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: Merc 190E.jpg (32KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
Merc 190E.jpg
32KB, 600x337px
/O/ what do you all know of W201 mercedes?

I've been looking for a second car to supplement my older 4Runner after I dumped my new/practical/efficient Civic daily driver. 4Runner is reliable enough and not too terribly inefficient, I think I just want to get my hands into something new. Raised on jap stuff so I think this would be a cheap and interesting way to get into MBs and European cars in general.

Car in question is a '91 190E 2.6, 193k miles, 2 owner, the first one owned and maintained the car until 2 years ago. No rust that I could see (spotless wheel wells). The people selling it now have done little odds and ends (starter, battery) but it's been a daily driver.

Seems to drive well, motor/transmission seem good. I did hear a single light knock from the front left suspension at low speeds, but aside from that the car rode and handled very well. The auto doesn't creep much at all, owing to starting in 2nd gear from what I've read.

Is this a terrible idea? Should I just pick up a cheap Corolla/Camry instead?
>>
All I know is that I had my driving lessons in an 87 190E, and it was shit. Handles like a boat and it broke down all the time.
>>
>>15381462
>pick up a cheap Corolla/Camry instead
>>
so why exactly do you need this if you have a 4runner which has the most reliable engine and transmission toyota makes

why would you spend so much money on somthing that is so heavily used

i mean come on what isnt gonna need working on its a fucking mercedes benz with more miles than most civics

i see this as a massive gamble with no payout since if it breaks its gonna cost you money if it doesnt than you still have to buy it
>>
File: IMG_1664.jpg (2MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1664.jpg
2MB, 3648x2736px
This is definitely a "screw around" kind of car, I full acknowledge/expect it to be a more involved ownership process than a Accord/Camry/whatever. I guess I just want to take a walk on the wild side and wrench on something different. Originally I started to look for a cheap beater just to keep salt off the 4Runner (spotless truck for its age, see pic), which ironically enough has a full set of snow tires for it. And now I'm looking at a RWD car! I'd throw a set of snow tires on it right off the bat, the Michelins on it now are ancient and dry rotted.

Although sure, I might get spooked and simply go back to what I know and trust (older Hondas and Toyotas).

Anyone actually own one of these here?
>>
FWIW, the 201 in the first post is the actual car in question. Definitely looks like it had been garaged for most of its life, and was a third and underused car (hence dry rotted tires perhaps).

They way it drove and its specs most closely resembled a '90 Cressida I looked at last year. RWD+IRS, pseudo-executive class but not super roomy, comfortable and not really sporty handling, similar amount of power.
>>
Ask if the previous owner had the ovp relay replaced or repaired. Also ask about the voltage regulator, and the cold start valve. Also ask about the blower motor for the heater. None are expensive, but they're liable to leave you stranded. These things are pretty over built, but still repairable by the common man. There's a reason shitty countries still use them as cabs.
>>
>>15382025

Thanks for the details, unfortunately the car is sold. Thanks br/o/s

Looking at a '02 Grand Prix now, of all things.
>>
Get a W124 instead.
>>
w201 is my dream car

every bit of research i did led me to believe it was slow and unreliable

i still want one because i love the looks, but everyone thinks im looking through rose tinted glasses

how much are they asking for it?
>>
>>15383845

They were asking $2000, I had offered $1600. I assume it sold for asking price.

Found a very clean '95 Volvo 960 sedan now, 1 owner 115k miles, spotless for $2900...

Went and looked at the Grand Prix. If I just needed a set of wheels it would have been an excellent choice. Well maintained, suspension had been gone through about 5 years ago, it drove about as nice as any 10+ year old W-body has any right to. But man, it's just a big bag of "meh" on the interior and how it drove. I don't consider myself one of those import-snobs even though that's what I grew up around, but the lack of polish and overall mediocrity pushed me away from it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.