[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Qtddt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 246
Thread images: 60

File: IMG_20160624_182917.jpg (3MB, 3006x3758px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160624_182917.jpg
3MB, 3006x3758px
Questions that don't deserve threads time, my dad has a late 80s/early 90s ford 5.8 engine that he wants to put in his 79 bronco, my question is what horsepower it has because it's fuel injected and if it will bolt up to the old transmission. The 400 block seized up so it's junk. I'm just curious if it's even possible
>>
Moving to Colorado from California.
Red pill me on cold weather care for my car.
How can I stop rust and cracking my engine block.
ETC
Do I need winter tires? Or do all seasons work...
>>
is it a good idea to buy a used car from a dealer?
>>
>>15328333
Depends where you're moving to, I'm likely moving there from NJ (Denver area has WAY milder winters) and I've been fine with RWD on all seasons, I think you're overthinking the rest.

>>15328371
If it's worth over 5k, yes.
>>
is it bad to engine brake an automatic?

i put my grandpa's corolla into 3rd instead of braking because i hate flashing the brake lights and he got a bit mad at me
>>
>>15328371
I can't imagine it being too bad, I got my 08 cobalt from a toyota dealer with 75k miles for 5k and havent had any problems at all and it's at about 140k miles I'm 90% sure it was a rental/fleet car.
Just know what the troubled spots on the vehicle are and if youre not mehanically inclined take it to a mechanic.
>>
>>15327739
Get the serials off the engine and the serials off the transmissions of both vehicles.

Find a list of compatible transmissions online.

>351 BTW

>>15328333
>Rust

Wash car often and above freezing temperatures. Avoid salt if at possible

>Cracking engine block
Block heater.

Make sure your engine coolant is good for -40C.

>Do I need winter tires
Depends on where you are, what kind of vehicle you drive and what kind of weather you're going to deal with. IF you live anywhere there's consistently going to be snowfall year after year I highly suggest a dedicated set of winter tires and rims and hauling chains around.

>>15328371
>depends on how well you can personally inspect a vehicle, how your credit and income are, etc
>>
>>15328404
What RPM were you at when you dropped it into 3rd?
>>
>>15328404
Engine breaking itself won't hurt the car, whether or not actually shifting from D to 3rd is safe is another story as I think those aren't exactly meant for "downshifting". When I was an autofag my transmission didn't seem to like me dropping it from D to 3rd; I don't think it bothered rev matching and just slammed it into gear.
>>
>>15328404
Yes, they're not made to do that, you can burn the transmissions, engine braking in general in a eco box doesnt really have benefits, brakes are made the wear and the motors arent built like rig engines.
>>
>>15328413
Here, also see this >>15328415

Just don't bother. There's no benefit and you likely are fucking things up by "downshifting" into 3rd.
>>
Hey guys is this too good to be true?

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/19861490

2003 Audi A4 with less than 100k miles for $4500.
>>
>>15328622
It's pretty legit. In my area on CL there a tons of A4s for under 6k
>>
Is it possible to pull hektic skidz in an A4 Quattro?
>>
>>15327739
Engine will bolt up.
Torque converter>back is compatible.
Electronics is the big thing.
351 manifold, carb, distributor, ignition system (msd control box/magnetic pickups or points)s the minimum to go to '78 style.
Or thou can transfer the manifold, air meter, harness, computer to the '78.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
my falcon blows a fuck loads of smoke could this be a blown head gasket is my car kill? I know it runs rough af but i get the feeling this could be worse than just that
>>
File: 56456156184.jpg (212KB, 1227x768px) Image search: [Google]
56456156184.jpg
212KB, 1227x768px
I need help with the stupid brakes on my stupid mazda /o/

>new master
>rebuilt calipers
>new flexi-brake lines

Didn't bench bleed the master because i'm an idiot but i am getting fluid with no bubbles at each corner... BUT the pedal is going to the floor and the FR caliper is not doing anything (FL is applying slight pressure)

Airlock in the master cyl? A possibly poorly rebuilt FR caliper? Still air in the lines? There are no leaks anywhere so its not that.

Any suggestions are welcome as i'm completely out of my depth with brake shit (fuck i hate brake fluid)
>>
>>15329105
Usual rule of thumb is

>white smoke = water
>black smoke = fuel
>blue smoke = oil

If its started just spitting white smoke out and running like shit i would lean towards head gasket. Water in the oil/oil in the rad will confirm this (but google some other symptoms)
>>
File: 77z-part.jpg (40KB, 556x315px) Image search: [Google]
77z-part.jpg
40KB, 556x315px
Looking at camaro Z28's, the 1974-81 models, what year is the best all-around?
>>
Would it be safe to use cheap ebay led headlights in place of halogens? any experience with them?
>>
>>15328371
got my car used from a dealer and its running stronk
>>
>>15327739

This guy
>>15328967
is wrong.

The 5.8 in the 90's is the 351 windsor. It uses the small block bell housing (300, 302, 351w) and completely different engine perches.
The 400 uses the big block bell housing, and as such the only engines that would be "drop ins" are the 351M(which is a destroked 400) and the 429/460.

Is the truck an auto or a manual?
The C6 auto transmission does not have a removable bell housing, so you would have to swap the entire transmission for one with the small block bell housing.
If manual the bell housing is removable, so you would need one of those, a manual flywheel for the 351w, and a clutch to match.
The engine perches would need to come from a 73-79 4x4 ford truck or 78-79 bronco that came with a 302.
As far as fuel injection goes you can keep it or go back to carb.
If you want to keep it, you need to bring over the whole fuel system, including the tank, and of course all the computer junk.
swapping to carb requires a new manifold, possibly a new distributor if it isn't already a duraspark system, and either a low pressure electric fuel pump, or a front timing cover with provisions for a mechanical fuel pump and an eccentric to bolt on the cam gear to drive the fuel pump.

Thats all the big stuff.
>>
File: c6 bell.jpg (88KB, 666x1604px) Image search: [Google]
c6 bell.jpg
88KB, 666x1604px
>>15329665
Indeed. Went through this when I built a 400 for my 390 galaxie and didn't have enough fore thought to realize ford made three different patterned C6s.
>>
File: christine.jpg (127KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
christine.jpg
127KB, 1024x768px
>>15329685
Here.

Recently, my 400 blew a head gasket cuz I did the retarded thing and didn't do the 50/100 mile retorque. Well I replaced the head gasket and there was still green shit coming out of driver's side exhaust, a constant drip, drip, drip, drip. For about 2 weeks afterward.

Until recently.

It suddenly stopped. Could it just be old antifreeze left over in the muffler? or did the engine miraculously heal itself? Oil filler cap also had mayonnaise on it, but the oil was black, antifreeze is still green, etc. But even the white goop on the cap is slowly disappearing.

Is my Galaxie haunted, à la christine?
>>
Just got a 96 f150 186kmi. Seams to have a slight squealing noise mainly when in drive accelerating at low speeds but I heard it on start-up this morning accompany with the slower engine speed I get with the noise. Having some voltage problems....I'm thinking alternator have been told it could be slipping transmission but it has plenty of power
>>
>>15329444
Might try just leaving the valve open on the front caliper and let gravity pull fluid through for a while
>>
File: 1416163250740.jpg (280KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1416163250740.jpg
280KB, 1600x1200px
>>15329665
Came to post this. A Cleveland is the only thing that will fit in place of a Modified or 400.
>>
What are the brightest halogen bulbs?
>>
>>15329703
put it on a steep incline park it and run it see what it does. If it isn't making vapor then it may just have had a puddle stuck midway in the exhaust.

Or alternatively pull the headers and see if you still have a leak.
>>
>>15330538
Xenons, but leds are brighter.

>>15329476
I would get them from a proven LED supplier than ebay.

>>15329475
You're looking at the malaise era camaros, anything you get will have to have new heads and cams and cutting out the emissions equipment to make any decent comfortable power.

Avoid anything 305 or smaller.
>>
>>15330826
Guy asking about Camaros; Fully aware of the abysmal horsepower, definitely gonna do a swap, probably throw an LS2 in it for 400 hp. I'm asking if any of the year models had significant body/chassis/tranny problems to look out for. From what I've seen I should gun for a '77 model if I want a good one that escaped the new wave retro look or an '81 for the most current.
>>
Are anons just memeing when they say that sedans and other non-truck cars can carry a lot, like even beyond the GCWR?

Gonna be real here, I recently just threw a grand at a rebuild for my sentra's suspension, after I fucked it up carrying like 1.5-2x gcwr of garlic and salt across town a couple times. Curious if this is unusual or if I was just a complete retard.
>>
File: memes.jpg (37KB, 528x418px) Image search: [Google]
memes.jpg
37KB, 528x418px
Bout to pick up this RX7 with body damage on one side and a motor that needs a rebuild. It's shooting coolant into the overflow tank. I need to drive it 70 KM home. Can I stop every 10 minutes before it overheats and pump the coolant from the overflow back into the fill tube, or will that not work? Also considering throwing some Bar's Leaks in it for good measure.

Basically, the coolant seals are going out, so it's shooting pressurized gas into the coolant system and forcing the coolant into the overflow tank. I'm not sure whether this means that the car will overheat from lack of coolant, or if it's purely because of the pressurized exhaust gas creating more heat. If it's the former, then my idea should work.

I don't want to shell out 300 bucks for a tow. Fuck that shit.
>>
>>15331467
>body damage
>motor's fucked

Do yourself a favor and just wait for a good one to turn up. Or at least one that only has either body or (preferably) engine problems but not both.
>>
>>15331509
>>15331509
Well, even on an immaculate car, I'd be looking at a rebuild fairly soon. I want to do a mild or extended street port. All the damage is on one side, and to be honest I just want a cheap drift car to learn on. It's gonna run me a grand whereas every other manual RX7 is at least 4. Was considering saving up for a turbo II but I really want to work my way up, or even potentially build this car.
>>
>>15329445
Not just spitting, its like plooms of smoke also stalling heaps despite being an automatic
>>
>>15331527
>a grand
It's only worth $500-. And you do more than $300 worth of damage if you try to drive it home.
>>
>>15329685
Fucking Fords. GM SBC and BBC have the same engine mounts, flywheels, and bell housings.
>>
My car low-beams just stopped working, high-beams work fine. I highly doubt both bulbs blew out simultaneously, so I'm looking at a fuse issue right? I'm on an 01 Mitsubishi Galant, how can I find which one is being the issue and replace it?
>>
>>15331619
sounds alot like a head gasket.
>>
File: 1024px-Outboard_diagram-01.svg.png (57KB, 1024x724px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Outboard_diagram-01.svg.png
57KB, 1024x724px
I'm trying to freshen up an old single cylinder outboard motor I have, but have very little experience with engine repair. It has a hard time starting up without a lot of choke, and doesn't like to hold an idle if it isn't 100% warmed up.

I should be looking at cleaning and adjusting the carb, right?
>>
What keeps cars from getting to hot when they have flat bottoms from skid plates? If I fully skid plated a truck for off road would it be more likely to overheat?
>>
>>15331653
Also the I6's. Try that with a Ford, amirite?
>>
>>15335259
A carb rebuild would be a good start
>>
>>15328393
Denver for me, sounds like the worst weather is over obviously but only delt with CA winters lolwhatsthiscoldwhiteshit?
Never lived in cold weather and I'm going to change my antifreeze but thats pretty much all I know about cold weather.
>>15328408
>Rust
How long does the salt usually stay in the road? 3times a month is enough for summer there no? And what about coating the bottom of mt car with something?
>Block Heater
Never even heard of this but I don't kwn a performance car would I be fine just sittinf at idle for a few minutes before I drive off?
From what I've heard theres not much snowfall except winter and then not tons.
I know I probably sound like a retarded CAfag (Because I am) but appreciate the input.
>>
>>15332977
It should be the same fuse for the headlights. Something is wrong in the bulb get new ones.
>>
How do I go about taking out the accelerator pedal sensor in an Audi A4?

Does it require the whole pedal to be taken off or can it be taken off by itself? Google doesn't provide much specific information on this.
>>
Body shop says they will replace door. (it was scratched and dented)
Do they move the current electronics (window motors) to the new door? Do they just replace the outside?

I'm wondering if I can request to take the motors if they replace the door.
>>
File: 1426663389171.png (149KB, 550x515px) Image search: [Google]
1426663389171.png
149KB, 550x515px
My rear stabilizer bar is incredibly rusty. I just replaced all of my strut components and end links. Should I buy a new bar before putting in new bushings? Mine are worn and there is a good amount of wiggle. The rear also squeaks now and I suspect it's the bushings.
>>
Why were emergency signal switches behind the steering wheel for so long? It irks me
>>
I'm new to /o/, aside from just lurking here where do I go to learn about general car stuff and how to do some basic wrenching and that type of stuff? There's so many websites and TV shows and magazines and shit about cars, it's pretty overwhelming.
>>
>>15336969
Because they were a mechanical shift of the turn signal switch for decades and then lingered there for a while after it wasn't necessary for legacy users
>>
>>15337147
Just get out there, pick something to fix, and do it. If you run into a problem, figure it out.

You'll suck at it at first. Things'll break, you'll have to do stuff over, sometimes you'll be walking for a while but over time you'll get better as you learn how to use the tools, things to watch out for, how to research the repair. It just takes experience to git gud.
>>
>>15328622

Aren't those the cars that have timing chains?

I thought with Audi's the chain doesn't go bad, but the parts driving the chain tend to go out past 100k, and can fuck your whole engine up. I've never owned an Audi, but you might want to look into if this is the case.
>>
What's a good paint or paint alternative to cover the metal on an old farm truck?

It doesn't need to be a show pony, I just want to cover and seal the metal against corrosion, salt in the winter and the bearing sun in the summer. Didn't think it was really worth having a whole paint job done
>>
>>15338407
Spray with rust converter to stop the cancer, then seal with any enamel based paint.
Rust converter can be found in most large home improvement stores (Lowes, home depot) and some auto parts stores.
>>
>>15338443
>rust converter
Cool, I'll check this out, thanks

Enamel paint, is that Rustoleum? Or tractor paint? Are all enamel paints basically interchangeable?

Should I get rattle cans or use a sprayer?

And should I spray/treat the undercarriage and wheel wells, etc, with anything? Thanks
>>
File: 20160625_195445.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
20160625_195445.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
Can someone please for the love of christ help me make this thing look semi decent. Im begging
>>
>>15332977
Either fuse, relay, or fusible link. It's very unlikely that it would be both bulbs at once.
>>
>>15336177
Steel that thick shouldn't rust through. If you're worried, just sand it down and paint it when you do bushings
>>
File: IMG_20160531_122752.jpg (140KB, 758x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160531_122752.jpg
140KB, 758x450px
Doing something similar to OP, how hard will it be to wire up and run an 89 460 ford motor and transmission with the ecm and injectors on a 72 Buick riviera. Pic for attention, she cost me 400 dollars
>>
>>15338473
>Tint
>New wheels
>Rain shields
You'll look like a tool, but, you do drive an XB
>>
>>15338571
Why rain sheilds? Jw
>>
>>15338658
Optional, Looks better.
>Small rear decklid spoiler.
>Better exhaust not a fart can.
>>
File: DSCN0684.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0684.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
>>15338528
They sell universal motor mount kits somewhere online, You'll also have to get a custom driveshaft made. Go with some sort of cable shift system for the trans, there will be less headaches than trying to rig up some sort of linkage.

>89 stock ecu and injectors

I'd go with a carb conversion or if you're Mr. Richie Rich some sort of plug and play throttlebody EFI. Getting all that stuff to work, then packaging it NEATLY into the car, well... It'll be a pain in the ass.

I'd also go with a GM style dizzy and alternator. Only to keep the wiring down to a bare minimum and also simplicity. Pic related. Ford 400.
>>
>>15338729
So what I'm picking up from this is its going to cost me a lot of dollars. Because I don't want to spend a lot. I kinda figured I'd just have to weld the motor into place , bolt it all up and it would work. What's a cost expectancy on this project, or should I just rebuild the 455 in it. In which case how can I get pistons a cam and everything I need for cheap.
>>
>>15338763
It cost me a grand total of about $3,500 to put the 400 into my galaxie, that includes the radiator, transmission, complete engine build, etc.

But hey man, check this out... You can get master rebuild kits for your 455 alot cheaper.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductId=1010
>>
Hey, first post in this board

I live in a country where you have to pay SO MUCH tax (Around 90% for 1.61-1.99L, 135% for 2.0-2.49L and 180% for 2.5L and more) for cars with engines larger than 1.6 Liters.

Are you aware of any research and development works on 1.6L diesel engines for premium cars such as Mercedes E series, BMW 5 Series or Jaguar etc? Would love to have a E segment car. I'll have some good salary soon and can afford a good car in 3-4 years if they make ones with 1.6L
>>
Long shot but does anyone have the pic of a newer Mustang wrapped olive drab with extended wheel arches?
>>
File: 1429029130795.jpg (6KB, 140x140px) Image search: [Google]
1429029130795.jpg
6KB, 140x140px
>>15327739
Serious question.
When GM (or any car maker) says the engine/heads are iron... do they mean actually just iron? Or is it some blend of steel?
>>
>>15338676
Thank you
>>
File: rotor.jpg (579KB, 1712x1721px) Image search: [Google]
rotor.jpg
579KB, 1712x1721px
I'm looking for rotors (and brakes) for the rear of my car but i ran into a bit of confusion.

one is 10-1/8" in diameter and the other is 10-5/8"

does the size really matter? or do i have to wait until I actually have it off to figure it out?
>>
>>15338803
I don't know how the hell you found that, totally getting it though. Every kit I found was twice the cost and missing shit like the pistons.
>>
>>15339251
>Does half an inch in diameter of disc matter?
Fucking yes I do. One size of caliper will fit it, and the other one won't. Call a dealer and give them your vin #. I bet they can tell you what size of rotors you have.
>>
File: 0526161805_HDR-1.jpg (2MB, 2411x2074px) Image search: [Google]
0526161805_HDR-1.jpg
2MB, 2411x2074px
Want to turn pic related into a 4wd

Best way?

Selling/trading not an option
>>
>>15339264
That's the only way other than physically taking off the wheel?

They gonna help with a car from 1990?
>>
>>15339292
It's the only realistic option
>>
>>15339043
Don't know the specifics as to why but it is indeed cast iron, possibly due to the fact that the properties of steel change with temperature.

>>15339292
Find a Junked version of that with all the parts you need to swap.

It will still be more expensive and time consuming than buying something already with 4x4
>>
>>15339355
>>15339357
Im aware that it will be expensive

Truck used to be granddads, not trading/selling. But i want that 4wd
>>
>>15339369
Are you aware of the ship of Theseus?
>>
File: temppic.png (453KB, 886x566px) Image search: [Google]
temppic.png
453KB, 886x566px
Looking for fun first car
found this
bad idea?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWmxlLbL19k&feature=youtu.be
video
>>
>>15338473
>XB

Sorry bro, not possible
>>
>>15340068
It's 4000 for a shut box 90s car. Go to an auction, pick up a high miles 2011 or newer car, put the 1000 u just saved and get it fully looked over and have anything fixed or buy rims cuz ur young and stupid. Either way go to an auction. Also winning one will give you the biggest boner ever.
>>
Is it ever necessary to put a stronger timing chain on your vehicle?
>>
>>15340720
Ugh i guess i will try and sell it
>>
>>15340788
No. Dude. That's dumb.
>>
>>15338463
Tractor paint. Use a brush if you want that authentic barely-give-a-fuck look.
>>
File: fixd8.png (863KB, 1624x1102px) Image search: [Google]
fixd8.png
863KB, 1624x1102px
>>15340068
>>15340076
>>
>>15341132
>XB

Sorry bro, not possible
>>
>>15329105
probably the rings.
cheaper to find a replacement engine on bumtree
>>
So my Base model RSX hydrolocked after going through a deep puddle. (fuck rain and fuck CAI's) and it has been very very stressful trying to get around.

After checking with a nearby shop tbe gave me an estimate of $4,000USD for an engine swap.
The car has 120k on the body.

Either I do just that or get another vehicle.

I found a EP3 For 4grand which I can drop down to 3. This one had its engine and its transmission replaced too. The guys trying to break even for the work he put in. Its no upgrade tbvh since its a different vehicle with the same engine.
Its just quicker to get on my feet since I see it at work all the time.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5645796071.html

Or I can get this truck instead which can certainly deal with this shitty VA weather. An hour drive to check it out.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/5629952029.html

help me choose or what to do. Is my car really worth saving or just get a different car
>>
File: fox.jpg (94KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
fox.jpg
94KB, 640x480px
bumping
>>
>>
File: 96Silvia.SUK57024b.jpg (90KB, 666x500px) Image search: [Google]
96Silvia.SUK57024b.jpg
90KB, 666x500px
>>
File: 86Levin.FUN1480a.jpg (72KB, 666x500px) Image search: [Google]
86Levin.FUN1480a.jpg
72KB, 666x500px
>>
File: 86SprinterGTA.jpg (88KB, 666x500px) Image search: [Google]
86SprinterGTA.jpg
88KB, 666x500px
>>15342452
>>
>>15342393
i have seen so many posts by you
fuck off
>>
>>15342505

Is it too much to ask for help?
>>
>>15342393

Might as well go with the honda

You should be used to it since its essentially the same car, better milage and its newer.

Just try to clean it up they both look like shit but the civic seems like it'll be the easier choice in the long run
>>
>>15342554
thanks anon
>>
File: 1464438592954.png (2KB, 189x168px) Image search: [Google]
1464438592954.png
2KB, 189x168px
>>15340068
>>15340076

pls respond
>>
>>15342629
you must really want it anon
>>
>>15342726
I've never seen a coupe Subaru before so I am really interested because it's kind of like a unicorn for me.
I also don't have that much knowledge of Subaru so I need a sane down to earth person to bring me down softly with facts
>>
>>15328404
Flashing the brake lights lets the driver behind you know that you're slowing dowb.
>>
>>15328622
>https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/19861490
I see older ones go for way cheaper so that's spot on really.
>>
So why is it that when a vehical is off the ground and you spin the rear passenger tire forward that the rear driverside tire spins rearward?
>>
>>15342827
Because that is how a differential works.
It's counterintuitive as hell to understand when you just spin a wheel and see the other one spin backwards, but that is a perfectly normal consequence of you spinning stuff inside the differential by spinning the wheel to which it's attached via the driveshaft.

Look on YouTube how differentials work and it will be all more clear
>>
File: IMG_20160622_152208132.jpg (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160622_152208132.jpg
2MB, 1440x2560px
Ok /o/, so I pulled an 8.8 rear diff from a Mazda B4000 to put on my B2300. Thing is, when I try to search the model number, which is 333, all I get is shit about Ford tractors. I just want to see some info about it, particularly the spline count, but I can't find anything non-tractor related
>>
Any dealership people on here?

I have a 2006 jetta that's slowly falling apart, it's a fwd piece of shit. Want something new that doesn't feel like a chore to drive. Exactly how hard is it to get a loan for a 6-8k car at a used spot? Assume i have no credit and have a minimum of 3k to throw down on it.
>>
where can I find rare parts, Looking for the rear bumper rebar and rear suspension arms for a 96 celica, can't find em anywhere
>>
>>15342859
thats what i figured, dose it matter if the transmission is manual or automatic?
>>
>>15342949
Nope.
you will notice that spinning one wheel only will make the other wheel spin backwards, but spinning both of them in the same direction (basically replicating what happens when you drive normally) will have different outcomes depending on the gearbox you have:
- auto set in P: nothing happens, you won't be able to spin both wheels because the transmission is locked, so the gears inside, the transmission shaft and the diff case (which is what spins when both wheels spin) can't spin either.
- auto set in N: the wheels spin, causing the diff case (which you can't see), the transmission shaft and some gears inside the gearbox to spin
- manual set in N: same as auto in N: wheels, diff case, transmission shaft and secondary shaft of the gearbox spin.
- manual set in whatever gear: same as above, but the primary gearbox shaft and the engine spin too (unless you disengage the clutch). Depending on what gear you are in, you might not be able to spin the wheels because the effort required to spin the engine might be higher than what you can do with your hands, the higher the gear, the easier it is to move everything (notice it is the opposite of what happens when the force comes from the engine, when a lower gear means less effort to move the vehicle)

Again, watch a few videos because this is kinda complicated to explain with text only.
>>
>>15343009
sweet, thanks anon-kun
>>
>>15327739
I took my civic in to get fixed and mentioned it might be relay or fuel pump but I had to work so no time to fuck with it. He replaced the distributor twice then figured out it was the relay but insisted that the bad main relay was ruining distributors but that makes no sense to me. How could a bad main relay ruin a new distributor? I have the old distributor around.
>>
File: jen.png (417KB, 716x601px) Image search: [Google]
jen.png
417KB, 716x601px
Guys is this a good idea? It's going to be my car for college!
>>
>>15344300
Lol, obvious troll
Just get a Camry/Corolla/Avalon
>>
>>15344300
looks like a piece of shit to me
>>
>>15344333
But I like cars.
>>
>>15344300
>it's a turbo
>just needs a turbo
>>
I'm 90% sure my timing belt's ticking (Replaced around 10K Kms ago)

s this it? Is this the end? What sequence of events brought me to this point?
>>
Can you tell, what music was played just before /o/ match on this year's Spring Cup if I provide a recording?

Here's a link since I don't know how to crossboard: >>>/wsr/147904
And the song itself: http://picosong.com/xgSm/
>>
File: index.jpg (141KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
141KB, 1600x900px
What car's this?
>>
>>15347917
Opel Calibra DORIFTO
>>
File: IMG_20160628_095426.jpg (4MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160628_095426.jpg
4MB, 2448x3264px
Found water on the spark plugs, how fucked am I?
>>
>>15348437
not very fucked, just get that shit dry my friend
>>
Truck has a ticking noise after start up. Stops after it warms up. It has an emmision problem atm. Could that be the issue?
>>
I found a 1990 RX7 FD on Craigslist for $1200. Engine needs to be rebuilt due to coolant leak. What do?
>>
>>15344373
>implying corolla wouldn't satisfy you
they're very underrated and definetaly better than this kind of shit in every way
>>
File: image.jpg (95KB, 789x442px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 789x442px
I just got a neat little '82 Civic. Before I get it painted, I was wondering-are wheel wells/fender pieces like this a body kit or something? I want mine to look similar.
>>
>>15349170
Do not trust their diagnostics ever
I've seen too many "just a leak bro" turn into major damage on engine. And the car would be worse since the owner allows such a problem not being repaired
What would you do if you're poor as shit and find some problems? Keep driving it
What would you do if you find more problem? Say, a cooling leak which makes it not drivable? Obviously sell it and end the game
>>
>>15349259
It's not an enthusiast car
>>
>>15349170
Don't RX's need to be rebuilt periodically anyway? Those seals stop sealing after a while and then BOOM?
>>
>>15349289
I'm thinking of going to check it out at least just for shits and giggles.
Here's the link https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5643514482.html

>>15349382
Apparently the gaskets wear out around 200,000k miles. But I don't know if it causes it to go boom.
>>
>>15349316
buy a miata or a civic then
>>
>>15349436
>Miata
>>
This is kinda /o related
TLDR got hit, cops literally looked at the scene for 5 seconds, said it was my fault, turns out insurance dropped me like 2 days before that. Geico says i owe them 6.7k, they can go fuck themselves. Im not paying someone to hit me and total my car.

Do i have any options besides not paying and eventually getting sued, or bankruptcy? Im determined to not pay, and im honestly fine with bankruptcy. Id rather it be a last resort though.
>>
>>15349768
Forgot to mention this:
Only reason i dont want to pay is because it was obviously their fault. I was turning onto a road, and was done with the turn. Then, out of nowhere, this car slides along my passenger side and makes me do a 180 and slam my passenger side into their passenger side. Turns out it was a dam 17 year old girl driving with her parents in the back. Parents BS'ed the fuck out of the situation, so when the cop came over, he didnt even talk to me for a minute before walking off. Id never been in an accident before, so i had no idea that whoever lied more wasnt at fault.
>>
File: vw_09cc_frameless.jpg (280KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
vw_09cc_frameless.jpg
280KB, 1280x850px
Do weather shields work on framless doors? I want to buy a set of weather shields for my car so that I can have the window cracked a bit and not have water dripping in onto the door trim when it's raining. Only problem is I imagine you'd have to mount them up high enough for the door to open which makes me think water would still leak in. Any one have experience on the subject?
>>
How do I learn about cars?
>>
>>15349814
Talk to a lawyer

Otherwise your plan sucks, bankruptcy will be far worse for you than you think, and you probably will pay your creditors anyway.
>>
>>15349907
no they dont, exactly for the reason you think
>>
>>15351384
Wikipedia>citations of Wikipedia>basic engineering books>workshop manuals
>>
File: rw09_r184_lead.jpg (56KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
rw09_r184_lead.jpg
56KB, 800x450px
>>15351419
Yeah i know bankruptcy sucks, but i dont think ill have much in the next few years that ill need to use credit for.
How would i end up having to pay them anyway?
>>
>>15351384
Go anywhere but here; you'd be surprised how much bullshit you could pick up due to a circlejerk and perpetuation of misinformation
>>
Thinking about getting a 2001-2003 Mazda Protoge5.

Buddy of mine tells me they're cheap and easy to work on. Thoughts?
>>
How hard is a Megasquirt to program/map?

Are there any engine configurations they are not compatible with?

Is an MS the best option if I were planning to buy a standard 4cyl efi car and turbo it?

Would it be worthwhile if I also planned on using it in a ported and turbo rotary?
>>
So, I plan on getting rid of my Taurus when move down south.

I want to get a truck/something with good cargo capacity. I will get something for fun or a project later on as well.

Here is some shit I am considering

Hauler: (boxy bodies and bench seats make muh dick hard)
>Chevy c/k
>pre 10th gen f series trucks
>First gen dodge ram
>7th gen suburban
>1st gen dodge ram
>K5 blazer
>Ford bronco
>Dodge Ramcharger
>XJ cherokee (4 or 2 door)
>Jeep Comanche
>Ford Ranger

Fun car/project:
>3rd gen camaro
>SN95 mustang
>????

I'd love to get an old muscle car (chevelle,challenge,etcr) as a project, but I doubt I could find one cheap enough

Any ideas on what I should look for? Looking to stay under $3k each, be durable/not a bitch to work on and have good parts availability.
>>
im looking at an sc400 for 1,200
it's automatic but i'd want to swap it to manual. what would i need?
>>
If I repaint my car to a different color in the state of Florida, do I need to update the registration?
>>
File: acura.png (243KB, 1212x591px) Image search: [Google]
acura.png
243KB, 1212x591px
Do you think this would be good for a first car?

How much would you offer?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/truro/2002-acura-rsx/1177718250?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
>>
Herp derp question, but will the pump at a gas station automatically stop once it's reached the amount I gave the cashier, or will it just keep going? My card got skimmed so I'm on cash only until I get a new one.
>>
>>15357329
Yeah it'll stop
>>
Hey fags, the unlock remote for my 2003 civic ex stopped working so I figured it was the battery and I changed it out annnnd it still doesn't work. Tried a few programming sequences I found online and still nada. What's the trick? Maybe I put the battery in wrong? It was a cr2025 just like the case said. What do
>>
>>15358217
thats why u dont buy honda
>>
File: 1436034438240.jpg (174KB, 432x432px) Image search: [Google]
1436034438240.jpg
174KB, 432x432px
Neighborhood retard here. Wrecked my 2003 Impala, looking at some more Impalas because I liked how it drived and also some Nissan Altimas and Maximas, also open to Ford Fusions/Mercury Milans. And maybe a Crown Vic.

Anything I should be on the lookout for with these? I have somewhat of an idea what I am doing but am looking for some one to weigh in.

I have $5000 to work with but would like to keep it under $4500.
>>
>>15358469
The sticky is specifically made for you
>>
>>15358484

Read it. Was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with these cars.
>>
File: 1467330266942.jpg (74KB, 1080x1845px) Image search: [Google]
1467330266942.jpg
74KB, 1080x1845px
is there supposed to be this big a gap between my headers and the engine itself? I bought the bike used so I'm not sure. thx
>>
>Bought a 626
>Battery won't charge
>Put a new alternator in, that's working
>Put a new battery in
>Belt is good and tightened

Any idea what the problem might be? Thanks.
>>
>>15358469

This faggot here. Went and bought an '04 Impala.
>>
https://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/5652302421.html

Should I buy this?
>>
File: LexusAreSeaEf.jpg (928KB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
LexusAreSeaEf.jpg
928KB, 2064x1161px
>Used
>10k mileage
>Loaded with options (just want the premium audio)
>msrp: 74k
>price now: 61k

Talk me out of it, /o/. Should I just wait another year for another one?
>>
File: 00505_3KDJg5CcSKm_600x450.jpg (36KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00505_3KDJg5CcSKm_600x450.jpg
36KB, 600x450px
>>15327739
found this on craigslist for $600
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/5628586294.html

does it look like it's worth $600? all it needs is a new head gasket apparently. I can get a new seat for cheap, idc about that, it doesn't look in bad shape
>>
>>15327739
could i convince the honda dealer to put my seat covers on for me when i take it to get serviced? inb4 diy
>>
Is the AWD Audi TT Quattro Turbo very quick at all? I'm debating getting one of those, a 90-98 MR2, or a 350Z. Don't have over 10,000 and I want something fun and quick.
>>
I drive a 2005 vatomatic ranger 3.0 v6
what should my rpm be at idle? it seems to stay just under 1000 at idle. Is that good? Bad? Does it matter?
>>
There's a smell of E85 that lingers for sometime after I drive my car kind of hard. Next time I go to turn it on and it still smells, the car won't start right away.

What do?
>>
>>15362321
I'm a fan of the SW20 MR2 but more the AW11. If I were you, I'd go the Japanese route to avoid costly/complex maintenance from that German over engineering.

>>15362327
My car idles at 1.5k but redlines at 8k, so that sounds about right.
>>
I bought a 98 Miata recently and washed/waxed it when I got it.
When it gets wet the water seems to stay on the body for a ridiculously long time. I can drive for 40 minutes and the condensation from overnight will still be sitting in droplets by the time I'm done.

Did I put too much wax or something? It seems to refuse to drip off the majority of water.
>>
>>15361096
Did you put the correct battery and the correct alternator in there?
If you put an oversized battery or an alternator with a lower amp output you will never be able to fully charge the battery.
So if your problem is that your battery charges, but not enough, then check if the amp rating of both the battery and the alternator match with each other (or the alternator has an higher rating than the battery).
If the problem is that the battery is not charging at all, then maybe you were unlucky and got a faulty alternator (easily checked with a multimeter) or you have wiring problems somewhere.

If you let your battery run dry (less than 10V), then you should charge it with a proper charger before using the alternator to top it off. Unless the alternator is grossly oversized compared to the battery, it takes a long time for it to charge while also sustaining all the loads of a running car, so don't expect to have a fully charged battery after a half an hour drive
>>
My radio keeps dieing or cutting out, seemingly at random. Its usually good but when i make hard turns or even when i just turn the wheel a lot to make a turn. When it completely dies, the visualizer on the screen shows theres still sound, it just isnt coming out. Sometimes bumps can mess it up for a second as well. Pulled it out and looked for a sec, wires and connections looked good. Antenna seems to be working fine, anything else i can check? Going to do a more in depth check soon
>>
>>15364124
Had a simular issue when my alternator was going bad: when taking turns (I have an electric p.steering pump) the alternator couldn't keep up with the load and the first thing that started switching off was the radio, the screen stayed on, but the sound stopped.
As the problem went worse, more things started dying, first the instrument cluster, then everything with lights inside the cockpit and, ultimately, the headlights.

I don't think you have the same problem since it's also caused by bumps and vibrations but hey, who knows.

Check your wires better, maybe there is a loose ground somewhere
>>
How would a RWD conversion affect a small SUVs handling?

Specifically, I've been thinking about a possible FWD->RWD conversion of a Mazda Tribute. Stock some came with 4WD, so a there is room for a driveshaft under there.

The reason why I'm asking is because I like the car for what it is and it could be a neat little project for my weekends.

Should I stop thinking about this?
Should I think about Engines and Transmissions as well?

>inb4 just get a RWD "insert your own SUV here" instead!
>>
any eurobros here who can run a vin?
VG55BR00010451897
>>
Can anyone tell me what is this tube called?
>>
>>15364473
Isnt that only for american vins? Didnt know there was for european cars too
>>
>>15364854
Would be nice if you removed the plastic cover to see where the pipe goes.
Could be an intercooler pipe if the engine has a turbo
>>
What is the difference between an impact driver and an impact gun? I noticed the impact driver has a different socket tip thing.

I'm looking at getting a corded impact wrench for $169 Milwaukee 1/2. Or they sell a m18 cordless kit with impact driver and drill for $169. I could use a new drill as my old corded craftsman is losing power.

Any recommendations on a good corded impact gun or cordless with battery?
>>
>>15328371
Are you a cold enough motherfucker to ignore the salesman trying to walk you through the lot and give the car a hefty inspection?

Bring a smartphone and check what comes standard. Not everyone reports mods and accidents. Dealerships aren't know-it-alls when it comes to cars and might not notice that the wheels aren't stock or OEM spec, or that the fog lights are missing, or that the bumper is a color-matched replacement that doesn't even look like the OEM one, or that it has a shitty misaligned HID conversion kit without proper housings on it that blinds everyone.
>>
Does Atkinson-cycle work with diesels?
>>
>>15365288
I'm just speculating, but I guess akinsons engines (I mean the modern ones, that can operate as a traditional 4stroke too), with their artificially low compression ratio, won't create pressures and heat levels high enough for diesel fuel to ignite.
So no, but again, I'm just taking a guess
>>
What are some good engine swaps for a aw11 and where can I find engine mounts and transmission mount because orilys and autozone don't have transmission mounts any more
>>
>>15328333
Get a cheap beater for the winter months.
>>
File: autoclub.jpg (640KB, 957x538px) Image search: [Google]
autoclub.jpg
640KB, 957x538px
Is joining a local car club worth it?

I'd like to get a second fun car in the near future, but have no car friends and would like a network of people who know cars and know how to work on cars.

Do people who belong to auto clubs clubs help each other working on their cars or is it all old men who leave their Corvettes in their garages?
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 457x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 457x480px
>>15365962
Car clubs can be /o/ if someone doesn't share the same opinion they can end up with butt hurt enraged arguments.
>>
File: 2016-07-01 20.01.30.jpg (4MB, 2981x1676px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-01 20.01.30.jpg
4MB, 2981x1676px
Alright, I am a new mechanic with very little car experience. My 2003 volkswagen passat 1.8t 5 speed manual has something wrong with it. When I'm accelerating quickly there is a momentary lapse in power to the wheels. Depending on the throttle position and rpm it will stumble just one or two times, or over and over very quickly almost to the point that I stop accelerating. It makes a squealing noise at high throttle and high rpm from the frequency of the stumbling, where at low rpm it just makes some little pop sounds.

I can't tell wether it is a problem with the engine or the transmission/clutch. The engine in neutral will easily and smoothly run from idle all the way to red line.

If I try to accelerate to quickly for a long period of time the car flashes the check engine light, the only code that it brings up is the "Idle air control rpm different than expected." And I don't know what the code means.

Could it be the clutch slipping with the flywheel or pressure plate warped?

Or is it the Idle air control sensor screwing with the engine firing?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Pic related, car has 190,000 miles and I don't know when the clutch was last replaced.
>>
1993 Nissan 240SX convertible for 2500
Should I buy it? I could get a FWD Toyota sprinter, or Civic Si, or something instead.

I hate convertibles

Is it worth it for RWD?
>>
File: corracorradontyouwanna.png (926KB, 1162x778px) Image search: [Google]
corracorradontyouwanna.png
926KB, 1162x778px
>>15340068
>>15340076

please respond
>>
>>15328371
I bought mine from a mechanic/used car lot. Guy was real honest with me, gave me a good price, and will certainly get my business again for future repairs or cars. Capitalism at its finest.
>>
File: helpmesp.png (440KB, 629x583px) Image search: [Google]
helpmesp.png
440KB, 629x583px
should i buy this
i want to get a decent tuner car because i am a boy racer
also considering a civic , ae92, and modified 323
thanks guys
>>
>>15340068
>On its second engine
>80k on it already, took 120k of hoon driving to kill the last one
>$4k
>90s turbo shitbox

Engine is more than half dead already
>>
File: saab_900_t.jpg (29KB, 700x379px) Image search: [Google]
saab_900_t.jpg
29KB, 700x379px
Would you recommend getting a Saab for about 2-3000 dollars? I'm in Sweden so I think they're relatively cheap.

I am a complete novice and I recently got a drivers license and I really like the designs of the older Saabs.

I just want to know if you think it's a good idea to buy an old Saab, really.

And if you have any knowledge on the area what models etc you would reccomend. Thanks
>>
>>15367454
SHUT
THE
FUCK
UP
>>
>>15367657
Oh and I should add that I am looking at one in particular;

SAAB 900 16v Turbo -90 that has gone 14000 miles. For 2100 dollars.

Do you think it's worth going for it?
>>
File: 00h0h_eWdsfBE3uJF_600x450.jpg (36KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00h0h_eWdsfBE3uJF_600x450.jpg
36KB, 600x450px
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/5649191647.html

straight 6 with a manual

75k miles

assuming it's some TCU bros truck

what do you think
>>
What car fresheners do you guys use? None?
>>
>>15365461
Just specularing upon your speculation, do you think forced induction could solve the problem of low compression?
>>
>>15368945
I don't think so.
Conventional engines "convert" themselves to Atkinson cycle by shortening the compression phase (thus reducing the compression ratio) via a different valve timing.

If you still need to build a diesel engine that needs to operate normally, it means that, even with forced induction, you would need to lower its compression ratio anyway to go into Atkinson mode.
So we go back to the same problem: the fuel may not even ignite because of the too low compression ratio.

That said, Mazda was able to build diesels with a very low CR lately, so a diesel Atkinson may not be that impossible.
I suppose there are many other problems I'm not seeing if nobody bothered designing such an engine for mad MPG gainz.
>>
File: volvotakedown.jpg (1MB, 570x2668px) Image search: [Google]
volvotakedown.jpg
1MB, 570x2668px
>>15368533
black ice or nothing

>>15367787
>$5k for I6 with 75k miles
>no 4wd
>throws random CEL
no, i don't like it at all, lowball his ass $3k then move on

>>15367657
>>15367756
>17715 Krona
>for an old turbo saab 900
wew lad just get an old volvo turbo redblock or whiteblock, it'll make more power
>SAAB
>great engines
>glass transmissions
>verdict: man up and get pic related or go an be a special snowflake with your chain drive what do i care I'm just an/o/n
>also google wasaabi and mcm

>>15367402
>i'm dagumi
>should I buy a scoobie?
treequinox? is that you?
If not i see a tree in your future

>>15367343
>hates convertibles
then don't get one? Get something else?

>>15366575
check the IAC sensor, then start troubleshooting the trans.
>don't know when clutch was last replaced
then it was probably never; try this
>be in a safe vehicle test area (aka empty parking lot)
>pull the e-brake (or hold brake down)
>with vehicle running put it in gear and let out clutch
>if car stalls clutch is good
>if car takes a while to stall (15-30 seconds)/doesn't stall, clutch is bad
>I suggest 2nd/3rd gear

>>15365159
impact driver a shit. slightly beefier hand drill with no chuck
>just get a good dewalt and put an adaptor on it
Also srsly for those prices just get a pancake compressor and a cheap pneumatic gun, it will cost less
>plus options for paint sprayers and air ratchets

>>15364173
>how will this affect handling
LEL let's not jump ahead
>fwd with a 4wd option
bet it's not symmetrical
Even if it is actual 4wd if the engine is mounted transverse you should just give up or think about a whole engine/drivetrain swap
>otherwise the transfer case will eat your BHP

>>15362409
Smoke test ($60-80) or inspect all your fuel lines, filters fittings, and fuel rail closely

>>15361311
>just a new head gasket
decent price, but it's never "just" a new head gasket
>car overheated
>u need to take head to a engine machine shop to make sure it's not warped or cracked or find a good one
>>
Hi /o/

I need to replace the auto dimming rear view mirror on my 02 Outback limited, looks like pic related. I want to replace it with one that accepts the same wiring and mount so I don't have to rewire the thing and can just pop the new one on. Is there a way to know what mirrors will accept the same setup? I'm hoping I don't have to find the exact same mirror.
>>
>>15371143
Can you please give real advice ? Is the subaru good or not
Stop shitposting
>>
>>15371143
the convertible is my only option for rwd dipshit
>>
File: japancrash.jpg (34KB, 664x454px) Image search: [Google]
japancrash.jpg
34KB, 664x454px
>>15371204
>should I hoon a 17 y/o scoobaru wagon?
sure, whatever kid it's a place to start
>being so new you can't tell shitposting from good historical advice
lurk moar
>>15371224
>I want this car but I don't want it
>I only have three options
look harder for other rwd options you fucking mook or stop complaining and get a fwd

>advice you don't want to hear
be glad you got any answer at all besides read the sticky, faggots
>>
Where can I dispose of old spring/strut assemblies and cv axles?
>>
>>15371710
Same place where you dump metal
>>
>>15371973
and where would that be
>>
>>15371979
>Ask town where they dispose of all the garbage
>Take car
>Drive there
>Throw away stuff
>Drive home
>Congratulate with yourself
>>
File: 1402224784001.jpg (72KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
1402224784001.jpg
72KB, 640x430px
When you have a vehicle with a front mounted V6 driving the front wheels, and you install another V6 somewhere in the rear driving the rear wheels, will they sound like a V12 when you run them at the same time?
>>
>>15372021
if you join both exhaust pipes correctly, most likely
>>
Thinking about getting a '76 Firebird Formula 400, but i might spring for a '70-73.

What am I in for? Besides the "GM" meme
>>
>>15372052
Forgot pic
>>
>>15372056
an overpriced death trap that cant turn
>>
>>15372021
no
>>
>>15372066
Seen plenty for less than 10k though, one was even $6500 and looked in good shape despite some fucky upholstering.
>>
Gf tells me that any Ford before 2007 is basically a time bomb. Is this a meme or is a real thing?
>>
>>15372451
Unless she or her dad is a mechanic, or has owned one herself for longer than three months I'd assume she doesn't know what she's talking about.
>>
>>15371382
>posting memes is good historical advice
>>
>>15371382
>find other RWD
THERE AREN'T ANY YOU ASSHOLE

JUST FUCKING TELL ME . IF YOU DON'T KNOW STOP REPLYING
>>
>>15342892
Chances are it's a 28 spline, but it could also have 31 splines. If the tubes neck right down near the spring perches, it's 28. If not, it's 31.
>>
File: 1400199043057.jpg (38KB, 638x445px) Image search: [Google]
1400199043057.jpg
38KB, 638x445px
Does anyone have an recommended adhesives for attaching a rearview mirror? I've used one from Permatex that I've picked up from O'reilly's and it's failed twice now
>>
>>15372668
To add to this, will any two part epoxy work fine?
>>
Why are women worse drivers than men?
>>
If someone were to make a left turn onto a one way but only looked right then got nailed by a car driving the wrong way on a one way, it would still be the guy going the wrong ways fault right? The car turning could have prevented it by looking both ways regardless of it being a one way but the car on the wrong street is still completely at fault right?
>>
>have honda civic 1998
>first car and only had it for 6 months
>suspect my thermostat is kill
>fuel tank slowly leaks from two spots
>muffler leaking too

How fucked am I
>>
>>15372854
Sounds normal.
>>
>>15372451
some of the 90s fords have electrical issues (Rangers and Tauruses come to mind). As far as American reliability, GM and Ford were pretty neck and neck until the early 2000s, when GM took a nosedive.

Buying American (if you're in America) econoboxes is actually cheaper than buying a Japanobox. Your girlfriend is blowing hot air out her mouth without any meaning behind it.

>>15372854
Can't speak for thermostat, don't know enough about civics to talk on pricing, failure rate, etc etc. Fuel tank leaks can be fixed with some kind of high temp putty that's favored by people such as welders. Let google guide your search. If it's something more serious than just a few rusty holes (A valve leaking for example) then the putty won't do much good.

Muffler leaking can be fixed in same method, or pay some Mexican $20 to weld another sheet of metal over it.
>>
File: coolant jug.jpg (75KB, 674x540px) Image search: [Google]
coolant jug.jpg
75KB, 674x540px
I've got a coolant jug that sheared off finally. It's still held on by a single latch (think like a coat hook), but that won't do much good if a particularly nasty pothole or speed bump comes along.

Is there any way to repair the sheared section such as melting and re-setting the plastic, or some kind of reinforcement, or do I need to buy a new coolant tank?
>>
bampu
>>
>>15329444
Calipers on the correct side? I fucked that up on my neon and the way the bleeders were pointed it would never get the air out. Fluid was coming out and it had no pedal pressure. Swapped them and rebled, perfect
>>
New to auto here, what can I do to improve an N/A engine? I know it's better to just drop in a turbo for cheap power and I love the sounds a turbo makes but I like acceleration and throttle response a lot more than just power.
Is a motor swap pretty much the only thing you can do?
>>
How are the Land Rover series 2?

Such as:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Land+Rover/Discovery/Oakville/Ontario/5_28084796_20140617120541569/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=4_15_5

and

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Land+Rover/Discovery+Series+II/Bobcaygeon/Ontario/5_27804345_20160422102647308/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=2_15_3

Opinions?
>>
>>15373567
A "street cred" solution that could actually work and absorbe the impact in case of a pot hole or whatev.
First, you drill (preferably) two 5 mm holes on the pieces to be joint.
Then, with PVC precints (or whatever you call them), join one of the broken jug's pieces to the latch, but making it in a cris cross kind of pattern
>>
File: BHTvctbj2K-.jpg (341KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
BHTvctbj2K-.jpg
341KB, 640x800px
19's or 20's on the 350z..?
>>
bemp
>>
File: me_boosta.png (76KB, 375x360px) Image search: [Google]
me_boosta.png
76KB, 375x360px
>>15372668
>>15372714
is it hot where you live? you may need to level up and get some 3m adhesive
https://www.amazon.com/3M-08749-Rearview-Mirror-Adhesive/dp/B004MEDFFM

>>15372810
>not looking left for pedestrians
someone dun goof'd
Still the fault of the guy going the wrong way

seriously look both ways, I live near multiple busy one ways and this happens more often than you'd think
>if all the reflectors on the road are red you're going the wrong way genius

>>15376532
N/A, wat do for engine performance without motor swap?
it depends on how much you want to spend on it
short list, generally least to most expensive
>port polishing
>cam replacements
>turbocharging
>supercharging
>remapping/ecu replacement
Also remember if you're adding extra power the drivetrain has to be able to keep up
it's easier to turbo your car if there was a turbo version of that engine due to available stock parts, but there are N/As that turbo easily (miata comes to mind)
>>
>>15377906
It's been averaging between 95 and 100F recently, I found some epoxy in the garage so I'll try that and if that doesn't work I'll definitely try the adhesive you posted. Thanks anon
>>
Why do so many Mexican women work at auto parts stores?

Local O'reilel's has two and the Autozone has three.

Hell, even Pull-A-Part and another locally owned scrapyard have a lot of Mexicana workers.

Do their fathers and brothers force them to work there to get cheaper fart cannons?
>>
File: 1456173655281.gif (338KB, 492x376px) Image search: [Google]
1456173655281.gif
338KB, 492x376px
>>15378628
>surprised vatozone hires mexicans
>surprised women can work an entry level cashier job
I've never seen them do anything but this, and there's probablya shitton of them because they're all part timers so no benefits
>It's not like they can lift things or identify parts
>but when was the last time your saw anyone there actually know what they are doing and not just using the computer?
>even women can use computers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHv5JTcXNc8
>com-pute-ah says no
>>
File: PSX_20160703_212219.jpg (213KB, 1520x1520px) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20160703_212219.jpg
213KB, 1520x1520px
Ok lads, I'm trying to paint my glove box door and this paint streaking keeps showing up. I've tried two different cans of the same paint and painted it 4 times. What gives?
Paint is duplicolor acrylic enamel flat black.
>>
Sort of a weird question, but my mom was test driving a couple used CR-Vs and mentioned that some of them, particularly ones that had been driven in the city, felt really sluggish and unresponsive and generally drove like shit, while other ones in the same mileage range handled much better. So my question is, is it possible for someone to drive a car shittily enough that they ruin the handling noticeably, even if nothing on the car is exactly "broken"? How does this happen?
>>
>>15379211
too many things to list, simplest way to say it would be the previous drivers didn't do maintenance and neglected their cars.

>>15378805
>2 cans
>spray cans
try mixing it with a bit of water and see if it goes on smoother? If that doesn't work, try new paint.
>>
File: 853-101.jpg (11KB, 298x300px) Image search: [Google]
853-101.jpg
11KB, 298x300px
>>15376967
I'm going to get something like pic related and reattach it here
>>
Convince me not to buy this. I don't care if it's slow because I will replace the engine with a 351W. I just want a car in excellent condition inside and out (obviously the engine doesn't have to be)
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c19630&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c19638&zip=48360&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&promotionsOnly=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true&sortType=PRICE&sortDirection=ASC#listing=136552531
>>
>>15379244
>didn't do maintenance and neglected their cars

How does that actually effect the handling of the car, though? I understand it making parts more prone to future failures but how is it that they still work, just 'shittier'?
>>
>>15379270
a few examples off the top of my head.

>owner neglects weather seal on hood, causes leak of water into engine bay, which over time will prematurely cause any electrical to fail

>refuse to clean throttle body out, puts more stress on car due to uneven acceleration, MPGs and engine life suffer as a result

>refuse to replace engine mounts, the vibration eventually snaps a serpentine belt, which takes a coolant hose with it, making the engine bay a sticky, steaming mess. that one was fun.

I could sit here and spitball examples all day. If you refuse to take care of your car, it will refuse to take care of you.
Thread posts: 246
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.