[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A puzzle for /o/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

Can /o/ offer a quick fix to help keep my truck from getting towed and impounded?
>own 2004 Ford Ranger
>stuck in drive, wont start, 20 miles from home
>very limited tool resources
>not as mechanically inclined as my father would've hoped for me to be
I read somewhere reinserting the start relay would essentially jump start it however it failed to do so and I'm 99% sure my battery isnt dead so I can only assume it's the park/neutral ignition protocol that won't all for this to work. All i need is to get it going one time so i can take it back home (about 20 miles) and work on it with my roommate who works at a body shop. Really trying to avoid paying a tow truck and I need to get as much done as i can in one day.
>>
Can update step by step with pictures if needed
>>
>>15319844
Here's what you do if it's really stuck in drive. You need two people or you need to really trust your ebrake.

Climb under ranger pop off shift cable at trans linkage. Put in neutral, start truck.

Now how much do you trust that ebrake. If the answer is maybe push linkage into drive wile car is running and hope you don't run yourself over.

Smart way would be get some to stand on brakes put it in drive and go home.
>>
>>15320037
Cont.

Linkage is most likely on the drivers side of the trans. All the way forward should be park. One click back will be reverse and so on count click till you get drive.

>I will sleep fine tonight even if you are stupid enough to run yourself over trying to do this.
>>
>>15320037
I've had to do this loads on my old Dodge when the shift cable took a shit.

The parking brake didn't quite hold it but I usually was quick enough.
>>
>>15320077
If this is true then you are /o/ made human.
Do it, op embrace your destiny.
>>
>>15320037
The smart way would be to jack up a drive wheel - two if LSD
>>
>>15320932
So now my two rear wheels are off the ground and spinning and the car is in Drive with no one in it with a jack under the diff. That sir seems a tad shady
>>
>>15319844
An even stupider approach would be to cross the starter while in drive but it will lurch forward if no one is it to hold the brakes
>>
>>15320037
Or, alternatively you can roll start it. automatics CAN be roll started, however you'll need a higher speed to do it. 30mph or so for the pork converter to work in reverse. if one of your friends doesn't care about their bumpers / paint, ask them to push you.

>get up to speed
>turn ignition on
>engine should now start

Don't make a habit out of it, As you don't want that automatic transmission spinning while the front pump isn't. One time shouldn't hurt though. It's the way I done diddley did it when one of the shift linkage pins came loose on my car and I didn't have a jack. luckily one of my friends was there to push me.

Or you can just follow what >>15320037 said.
>>
>>15320037
You could chock the wheels with cinder blocks or something similar also.
>>
File: van.jpg (84KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
van.jpg
84KB, 800x600px
>>15319844
Just to be clear,
Truck's transmission is in drive and the shifting linkage is malfunctioned and won't allow you to select another gear? And so truck won't start because it's in gear?

I'd try like a mad bastard to shift it while cranking back and forth on the steering wheel.

Question: is a drive wheel jammed against a curb, in a hole, or is there some other situation present that is putting pressure against the drivetrain IE, making the truck jammed into it's parked position? I have seen this cause trans to jamb.

Bad engine mounts/trans mounts can make the drivetrain get out of alignment with the truck frame and therefore put the shifting linkage at a funky angle where it wont shift/stay in proper gear.
>>
>>15321186
Also, I'm not sure where it's located on your truck, but the switch preventing you from strting in drive could be bypassed/jumped
>>
>>15321193
The safety lockout is in the column. About 20 minutes to get in but you'll need a socket set and some star- drive bits.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.