[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need help on a decision. Big block v8 or turbo 4 cyl?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: tail 2.jpg (450KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
tail 2.jpg
450KB, 2048x1365px
Ok first ima list the cars i have to work with..

1) 1988 prelude, 300k, a fucking blast to drive, I go out of my way to drive this car longer, take side roads and such. I constantly get complements on it. I could enter it into car shows pretty easily, and may even win something. I love this for everything that it was back in the 80's and how it stands out now. When i drive this, i am SOMEBODY on the road, not just another car passing by. But its starting to show its age. Rattles and such, nothing i cant fix but i need to take it off the road and Build it as i envision it to be. I've rounded up a turbo kit for it, have most everything i would possibly need. All i have to do is rebuild the motor, gaskets and such. This is THAT car for me, the one that I will forever regret selling. I will be able to fix it in a couple days, but ive missed driving it soo much lately.

2) Next, i have a 2.7 v6 charger that i got a hell of a deal on through my work. My plan was to fix it up real quick, and flip it. Well, i fixed it up about 75% of the way, and it got to growing on me. Then the prelude went down with an issue, and i started driving this for a bit. I can’t hate the car, even as much as i want to. I knew what it was when i bought it, and knew all the issues with it. It's a CAR to me, a means to an end. Its transportation, thats it. Its lacking in character, makes popping noises, and is slow as shit, but it runs and it does its job as a car. I feel i can own this car for the next 5 years without any issues, though i wont enjoy it much.

>If you cant tell, im a driver’s man. I enjoy the road and the machine i'm using, as i imagine most of you do too.
>>
Then this R/T magnum comes into my shop…
I work with this motor ALOT. ((i work at a dodge dealership)) I've seen what these motors can do. Love the performance of them, blah blah blah.. There are so many options to generate bigger power, that isn’t easily possible with the prelude or the charger.
Then there's the car itself. It's oddly enough the exact year and color as my charger, but better in every. single. aspect.
This magnum is everything that i want my charger to be. It has leather seats, sunroof, bigass v8(( and all the performance accories that come with it, vs the 2.7 that has absolutly nothing to offer)) more useable body style, better paint, the key actually unlocks the car remotely, half the miles, less paint flaws, a bigass v8(lol) ect ect. Its just a better car in most everyway.
My issue is that I’ve fallen for it, and I’m not too sure that I afford it. I would obviously be trading in the charger for the magnum, but it’s looking like I’ll only get 2k for it. Though I bought it for 2k, I’ve put money and parts into the car. It’s worth more now, but that’s not the issue. The company wants around 5k for the car, and that’s the issue. I’m a lowly mechanic, and I’m not generating much money at this point.
There is various options that I can see
1) Get over the car, continue with my life with the cars I have. The prelude can be my toy, but it’ll never be a v8. It’ll be a badass turbo 4cyl car from the 80’s but still, it a niche market. I’ll have a project toy that’s pretty unique, and a boring ass DD.
2) I sell the project prelude, trade in the charger, and the magnum becomes the project. I go from 2 cars to one, but mostly no debt. I would have the money to modify the magnum to my liking. But still one car to my name again. This option, I would have a really badass magnum, but I will have lost all the money/work I’ve put into the prelude, and the money/time from the charger.
>>
#3 would be pretty awesome/stupid, having two cool ass cars.

I know this has been kinda long, but I didn’t want to vague when asking for advice. What do you guys think? Should I just leave it alone, and go on with my life, or go after the car that I really want, and can have fun with? Do I get rid of one project to just get another, or do I keep them both and have awesome yard ordainments? Lol.
>>
>ff
>>
>>15303721
blog posts get hidden
>>
>>15303721
>deciding between an old shitbox and a new murrican car #34934

literally who gives a shit.
>>
Anyway you could do something like privately sell the charger for more than the trade and finance the rest of the Magnum (~$1500ish)? I'd probably do that, and then decide if I wanted to sell the Prelude to cover the cost of the loan or if I wanted to keep it.
>>
>Not getting a car with 3 cylinders

Any more than 3 is just a meme, you cant even feel the difference
>>
>>15306623
So, why are *you* on /o/?
>>
>>15307493
to prevent having to read through insufferable blog posts from narcisstic airheads like yourself
>>
>>15303721
Don't buy the Magnum. It'll depreciate, and you'll lose money you clearly can't afford to lose.

Turbo the Prelude.
Drive that Charger into the ground.

Also, the third gen Hemi is not a big block. It's a small block.
>>
>Keep the shitbox charger
like you said its a mode of conveyance, nothing more nothing less

>Keep the Prelude
You said it yourself it would be the car you regretted selling, and if you already have turbo kit you're just that much closer to making it happen

>Fuck the Magnum
I love the body style too, have driven a few of the RTs and I liked them, but they're probably abused to shit, I don't trust the NAG1 trans and from several owners of LX HDMI cars I always here the ball joints wear too quickly

tl;dr keep the charger and turbo the Prelude, you'll be happier and won't put yourself in a hole with both cars
>>
File: IMG_20120421_125023.jpg (1007KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20120421_125023.jpg
1007KB, 1600x1200px
>>15306650
That's what i couldve done really, had the prelude not been down in repairs. I really drove the prelude 70% of the time.

>>15307573
Yea, i was kinda thrown off in the first place that they wanted 5k for a car thats almost 10 years old, and itself traded in. It was the fact that i could trade the charger in that even got me thinking of it in the first place.

>>15307618
This is what i decided to do in the end.
The longer i thought about it, the more i realized that i have it pretty good. I have a reliable daily that i wont get into trouble with, and a pretty cool toy to mess around with.
I get this weird sensation ALL the time that i miss my car, even when i have, even when im DRIVING it. That one day i'll make the the stupid decision to sell it, and become that guy thats always talking about "that" car. Maybe even trying to buy another to fill the hole.
I decided, even as nice and improved the mag was compared to the carger, it wasnt worth 3k debt, increase in insurance, and increase in gas prices.

I think, its pretty obvious now lol, that i just had love at first sight. That i saw this shiny car that was all powerful and sleek, and i wanted it regardless of the things i would have to go through..
I thought that working at a dealership itself, knowing how they treat the cars, the clients, and how they make ends meet, that i wouldve known better. That i wouldve been able to see past the car and see all the strings that hang on it. It wouldve been a nice car to drive, i wouldve had a blast, but i think i wouldve been worse off in most everyway, except in the physical car itself, and i really, REALLY need to start moving up in my life.
I need to start making sacrifices in life to gain things in the future, and this was one of them.
>Its been a learning experience.

Thanks to those that were serious, i didnt think my thread was actually gonna get read/replied, especially after the 4 hour mark.

>Pic is the day i bought the lude..
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.