[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What could I expect from buying a $1500 and under motorcycle?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: honda_750_supersport.jpg (43KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
honda_750_supersport.jpg
43KB, 600x450px
What could I expect from buying a $1500 and under motorcycle?
>>
>>15274276
>>15274276
Ask in /DBT/. You will likely get more serious responses.
>>
>>15275557

dirty carbs, leaking fork seals, exhaust holes, sediment in gas tank, rotten tires, wonky electronics, and depending on the make and model charging failures as the stator craps the bed

all easy to diagnose and fix though
>>
>>15275567
What this guy said. Also oil drips and electronic gremlins. Love my 80 Suzuki gs850 tho
>>
>>15275567
I do want to work on it myself, but don't know how difficult it would be for me(no experience)
>>
>>15275605

most of it isn't difficult per se, but it will take a bunch of trial and error and time depending on what the problem is.

carbs are an afternoon of swearing, soaking, and busting your knuckles, again depending on the model, and its probably the #1 thing that will have to be done. What is nice about old jap bikes is that they are made to be repaired with hand tools and by the owner. I managed to fix and repair most of the things on my bc750f with just a socket set and a screw driver and a haynes manual. The only thing that's still biting my ass is the charging system, so now its with a more experienced mechanic and hopefully he can get it to work.

just a friendly piece of advice, i too said "I want to learn how to work on a bike" but just remember that when you spend a month working on it and not riding it.

I JUST WANT TO RIDE GOD DAMMIT
>>
I just bought an '83 FT500 for $350.
No leaks or drips, just melted wiring.
Parts are cheap, fourms are helpful, and the labor is easy.
Why somebody would pay over a $500 for a bike is beyond me.
>>
>>15275749
Cause they're stupid like me
>>
>>15275784
To be fair, the guy sold it so cheap because it was stuck in gear and the starter was blown, neither of which turned out to be true.
Swap meets are your friend.
>>
>>15275557
A 125cc engine.
>>
>>15275749
There's an 86 Vulcan 750 somebody put near me for $450 today. Looks good cosmetically. 17,600 miles. Guy says it runs fine but needs a battery, ignition switch, and breather system.

Not sure what he means by the last part, but it looks like there should be an air filter or something over the throttle body that's missing.

Thoughts? I know cars decently, not bikes.
>>
File: akkkk.jpg (755KB, 3296x2472px) Image search: [Google]
akkkk.jpg
755KB, 3296x2472px
>4 cyl
>8 valve
>pushrods

Is there anything engines like this can do well other than accumulate stupid amounts of miles?
>>
>>15275557
Get a 550 instead of a 750 m8.
>>
>>15276726
Not going for anything above 600 right now since it'll be my first bike, the picture isn't related, just some junker i found on CL
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.