[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

vw Beetle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: bingenn21.jpg (80KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
bingenn21.jpg
80KB, 640x480px
What are some things to look for when checking out a prospective VW Beetle? Floor pans, etc etc

How bad are these as daily drivers?

What mechanical parts commonly break? What are some good things to improve on them?

Answer any questions or just give me Beetle info!
>>
If you were really serious, you wouldn't be asking here

For a no frills car it's great as a daily driver and easy as fuck to work on

Now go google and read the shitload of beetle sites
>>
>>15273067
Great daily you can not go wrong in a Beetz. Rain snow or mud that cock sucker will just keep fartin along
>>
>>15273141
I've already read many websites but am looking for other opinions, I am going to check one out on Saturday.
>>
>>15273067
Avoid super beetle. Fucked up front suspension, low compression, smog.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>15274879
But my friend super beetles can be great
>>
Check if it runs
>>
>>15273067

apparently easy to work on, my buddy and his friend swapped the engine on one in like an hour if that on a 70s one
>>
>>15273067
Check center line of engine block for leaks.
Block is 2 pieces, internet search to see what it looks like.
Stick your head underneath it and see how bad the rust is. Its a small car, look everywhere.
>>
You can literally still buy every single part to build a Beetle so I guess make sure nothing is about to break that's expensive to ship

Also don't expect to go faster than 55mph or get to it in the length of an on-ramp (stay off the interstate, faggot)
>>
>>15275403
Beetles top out around 80MPH
>>
>>15275349
How does a Yoshimura exhaust sound on it? Is the engine upgraded or just the exhaust?

>>15275397
Alright will do, thank you. The guy just got a new performance carb so that should make it a bit better.
>>
RUST. Seriously. Check for rust anywhere on the pan, under the battery, etc. Also watch for any accident damage in the front or rear, especially the rear as it's difficult to weld in new metal back there. Early 60's and before are cool as there's no dash pad, as are dual port motors. If you live in a cold climate, make sure the heater channels are intact. As anon said, parts are widely available so don't worry about dented fenders, rotted running boards, pitted bumpers, etc. Cheap and easy to replace. I've restored several bugs and had a blast doing so.
>>
>>15275782
Good ones
>>
Check the heater channels for rust (the inside corners connecting the floor to the walls.

When you open the engine bay, give the main pulley a good shake; many have loose pulleys which equal shot engines.

Oh, and its going to leak oil. I had a 67 rat bug, and the engine was amazing (almost nothing was stock, all race parts) and it still leaked oil.
>>
>>15276565
Oh I have an old Harley Davidson, I totally understand an oil leak being not a big deal.

How loose is too loose on the pulleys?

The only issue with the one I'm going to look at Saturday is that he has a rear seat delete. Which just tells me the seat looked bad and he took it out. So I've gotta inspect a lot of stuff closely. Thanks for the tips, /o/
>>
>>15273067
The classic Mini is a superior car... it handles shockingly well, and has potential for modding to make into a really quick, well-balanced car. The classic Beetle handles like shit, and while you can swap the engine, it will never be a "driver's car" like the Mini.
>>
>>15278107
Ideally, none. But any more than 2cm, run. 1cm or so, means a simple rebuild/good tune up.
>>
>>15278711
I have a 2003 Mini, not one of the cool ones, sadly.
It is the most unreliable thing ever, so I'm trying to get something easy to work on, and also very cool + classic.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.