[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How fucked am I?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1414812085568s.jpg (6KB, 250x191px) Image search: [Google]
1414812085568s.jpg
6KB, 250x191px
>01 Buick Lesabre
>Tried using my parking brake for the first time today
>My Lesabre's parking brake is activated by a pedal located left of my other pedals.
>Pushed down on the parking brake without pressing my normal brakes first
>Feel something snap
>Pedal is now completely limp
>Brake warning light is constantly on and beeps incessantly if you try to drive
>Not really sure if my parking brake is engaged. If I drive forward a little it doesn't feel any different than usual.
>Can't find a way to get the warning light to go away.
>Don't have a lug wrench so I can't take my tires off to check if the brakes are engaged.
>Don't even know where to start with this. My Chilton manual isn't very helpful.
>Too embarrassed/cheap to take it into a shop.
>Have to work tomorrow at my dead end job
>Considering an hero.
>Also considering going tomorrow morning to get a floor jack, jack stands, and a lug wrench.

I don't even expect help from you guys. I think the real point of posting this thread is the hope that you may make fun of me enough to actually push me to an hero.
>>
>>15271631
You snapped the parking brake cable. That's it. $20 part from anywhere on the internet. Now quit crying.
>>
>>15271631
you don't need a lug wrench. do you have a spare tire jack? lift the side of the car, try to spin the wheel by hand. it's probably fine.
>>
>>15271631
The pbrake is disabled, as you just snapped the cable to tighten it. Just make beeping noise to counter your cars beeping noises and go about your day
>>
>>15272033
$20 for the part and 1-2 hours of aggravation

One of those slick ebrake cable tools would serve you well, if not a pair of vice grips and a whole shitload of grunting and vulgarity to get that bastard hooked up will be your only recourse
>>
>>15271631
>>01 Buick Lesabre
The brake cable turned to rust and broke

Funny little aside: people the use their parking brake, everytime the actually PARK their car never seem to get broken brake cables... then there's people that NEVER use their parking brake, depanding only on the parking pawl in the transmission... until they NEED to use the parking brake and THAT is when the cable snaps.

Parking brakes are spiteful things
>>
Release the pedal and pull it up by hand to stop the beeping.
>>
>>15271631
Why the fuck don't you have a lug wrench? What are you going to do if you get a flat?
>>
>Pushed down on the parking brake without pressing my normal brakes first

you need to do this? Always thought it'd be fine to just push down on the parking brake alone once you're parked. didnt know you had to also press down on the regular brake too
Anyways, dude, it'll be fine.
>>
>>15272033
>>15272063
>>15272065
>>15272067
>>15272069
>>15272077
>>15272091
>>15272097

I was in a really shitty mood because I thought I dun goofed hard but now I feel a lot better. Thanks guys.
>>
>>15271631
I'd say you guys are right Here's a pic underneath showing the slack. The cable is still connected to the pedal. It'll move when I move the pedal. I think it snapped closer to the rear.
>>
>>15272236
Pulling on the parking brake release lever while manually returning the parking brake pedal to it's uppermost position should turn the light off and silence the alarm.
>>
>>15272259
Another pic showing where it leads into where I'm guessing it splits to both rear brakes. I think it's somewhere in there that it broke but the cable doesn't come all the way out if you pull on it.
>>
>>15272259
>>15272303

The actual metal cable is sleeved inside that housing, like the brake cable on a bicycle. That's what broke and why you don't have five feet of cable trailing behind your car or wrapping around your driveshaft.

The replacement will be a whole new set with new metal cable and new sleeving. So just focus on finding the connection points. Maybe put some oil on them to soak in and help you bust them loose when you change the part.
>>
>>15272408
it will be inside the rear brakes.

I think they are probably drums but my grandpa's Park Ave had disc rears so idk

You will have to pull the brakes apart either way, if its drum you beat the fuck out of the drum while trying to wiggle it off, if its disc you unbold the caliper and slide the rotor off of the hub

You should find where the cable latches in inside, you may need to take the springs out if its drum and rearrange the shoes enough to get the cable latch

After the cable is latched in to whatever side needs it, you just have to wrestle to get the front end into the little bracket connected to the actual pedal that has two holes in it for both rear cables
>>
>>15272294
>>15272408
>>15272548

I was able to detach the cable to the pedal's release lever and the warning light went away! If you couldn't tell by now I'm not extremely experienced with automotive stuff but I'm working on it. I'll have to gear up more before replacing the cable. Maybe in a week or two I'll try.

Thanks for the help fellas. Much appreciated.

/thread
>>
>>15271631
>01 Buick Lesabre
You're fucked.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.